Time To Look At Drafting Something Other Then QB

New York Mick

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the games yesterday, I'm starting to think the game is shifting every so slightly to a balanced offensive game. A great QB is a trump card, but you can win with a decent QB and solid units all over.

That being said, the quickest way back outside of a superstar QB is building a great OL. Sign one OL, draft another.

Yes he is. Yes... he is. I don't even know why that was a thought to you. Cooper is the best wide out in the draft. He is sure fire and a need. Cooper should 110% be the pick.

LOL it will be fun watching Decker, Harvin and Cooper running around like headless chickens while our scrub QB (whoever it may be) tries to throw it to them.

I think that depends on the coaching staff and what sort of offense we run. If we land the Quinn/Shanny combo I can see us signing Hoyer and maybe Tom Savage.

The leagues unhealthy obsession with Manziel is what kicked Hoyer out. He didn't not play horrible at all. And is obviously better then Geno.

The leagues unhealthy obsession with Manziel is what kicked Hoyer out. He didn't not play horrible at all. And is obviously better then Geno.

Hoyer would have a better mental grasp of the offense, having already played in it. I don't discredit Geno's physical tools, he just needs to learn from the side-line. Which is what makes Savage an interesting get; he has redshirted already and also has a plus skill set.

In FA, we should target Orlando Franklin and if we miss out on him then Mike Iupati to play LG. Winston will most likely go 1st overall. Therefore we should work on getting Bricks successor. Cornerstone LT don't grow on tree so with the 6th pick I would choose a LT, however not many worth drafting that high unless it's a dire need which it isn't for us so we should trade down to a team like the Browns who's in dire need for Cooper with gordan hitting FA. But I would target Andrus Peat, OT, Standford. Plug him in at RT, move Gia from RT for RG. LT Brick, LG Franklin, C Mangold, RG Giamcomini and RT  Peat. Not a sext pick however it may be the right thing to do down the line.

It will be Mariota or Geno starting next year. Jameis will be gone and there is no FA that is going to displace Geno.

How many years should the Jets suck until the next Andrew Luck comes along? Take a chance on Mariota. Draft another one in a year or two if he flops. Repeat as necessary until they have a real starter.

I think Mariota will develop into a better version of Kapernick, and most Jets fans would give their left nut for Kap... not me but most fans. I highly doubt Mariota is available past the late 1st round, so we take him at 6 or nothing.

Guys like this don't come around often. 6' 4", strong arm, fast and athletic, smart... that's an important one, and everyone RAVES about his character and leadership. To be that talented and not a diva is rare.

The facts are simple....  that weird Chip Kelly system hurt his pro development. He needs a year on the bench (like Kap and a lot of other good QB's had) behind a guy like Matt Hasselbeck and or Michael Vick. We need an OC who can develop him and has a track record with young QB's.

We have so many other holes to fill it's not like we are winning the SB next year. A veteran QB can make us competitive while we rebuild our O-line and secondary. The 2016 NY Jets will hopefully be a much more solid team for a young future franchise QB to take over. I know it's not common  to take a QB top 10 and let him sit, but Eli was a #1 overall and sat his rookie year (until the post season was out of reach), Rodgers obviously sat a couple of years, Carson Palmer sat his rookie year and looked like a season pro once he became starter, Kap sat..... although he was a 2nd rounder. Still a high pick relatively speaking.

We need a long term solution and a kid like this is the way to go. Most upside of any QB I've seen since Luck, and all the same intangibles. Sadly he is no where near as NFL ready as #12... but who is?

I know everyone wants a guy who can make an immediate impact @ #6. Normally that's the goal for any 1st rounder. BUT, we haven't had a decent QB since Pennington, and we haven't had an elite QB in almost 40 years. If we were one or two players away I would say take Cooper, but frankly I don't think he is a future elite receiver.... he will be very good, but he's simply not an AJ Green, Megatron, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant caliber player, and never will be.

Unless we trade for Foles, who is also young and has amazing upside, we will simply end up with a worn out veteran anyway. So why not use this opportunity in 2015 to bring in a game changer and develop him properly?

Quality post and i agree. I would take Mariota. If the Ducks win this game everyone would be clamoring that we have no shot at him at 6 and that he'd be the Bucs surefire pick at 1.

It will be Mariota or Geno starting next year. Jameis will be gone and there is no FA that is going to displace Geno.

How many years should the Jets suck until the next Andrew Luck comes along? Take a chance on Mariota. Draft another one in a year or two if he flops. Repeat as necessary until they have a real starter.

Why waste a 1st rounder on hoping a guy develops? I'd rather waste a 3rd or 4th on a guy who doesn't need a specific offense to run to be successful.

Also, literally any FA off the street could displace Geno because he is the worst starting QB in the league. Period.

Agree with the OP that there are big questions with this QB class but this line of thinking would have netted us Teddy Bridgewater last year, who would have been a nice option for the last 3-4 games, draft a QB until you have a franchise QB...

After watching the games yesterday, I'm starting to think the game is shifting every so slightly to a balanced offensive game. A great QB is a trump card, but you can win with a decent QB and solid units all over.

That being said, the quickest way back outside of a superstar QB is building a great OL. Sign one OL, draft another.

I agree. If not those 3, look to the OL

Why waste a 1st rounder on hoping a guy develops? I'd rather waste a 3rd or 4th on a guy who doesn't need a specific offense to run to be successful.

Also, literally any FA off the street could displace Geno because he is the worst starting QB in the league. Period.

Sanchez? Hoyer? Brittle Bradford? They're not even worth the time spent in doing a contract. This team can't win with any current FA's so why bother. If there was a solid team in place and they just needed a game manager to compete, I'd agree. Anyway Vick couldn't displace Geno when given the opportunity and he was the top rated QB in FA last year. Geno sucks elephant balls, but there's nobody to replace him in FA, barring something unforeseen.

Sanchez? Hoyer? Brittle Bradford? They're not even worth the time spent in doing a contract. This team can't win with any current FA's so why bother. If there was a solid team in place and they just needed a game manager to compete, I'd agree. Anyway Vick couldn't displace Geno when given the opportunity and he was the top rated QB in FA last year. Geno sucks elephant balls, but there's nobody to replace him in FA, barring something unforeseen.

All three players you named are better than Geno. If we're tossing in the towel on the 2015 season, sure go with Geno. If the thought is to make progress and get better next year, then you cannot enter the season with Geno Smith as anything more than the back-up, which is what the rest of his career will probably entail. He's just not good enough.

And whomever had Vick rated as the best rated FA quarterback needs to have their head examined. That was another move that blew up in their faces. He never looked interested in playing and was not prepared to play at any time. He was cashing a paycheck and that was it. Pathetic.

Cooper wont last to #6, he is only 20 yrs old, still growing...has run unofficial 4.3's at worse he will run 4.4

pipe dream

No one knows for sure how the top is going to play out- if we like Cooper so much move up a spot or two to take him

I highly doubt Mariota is there at 6.

Archived