Credit where it's due: Nice work, Woody Johnson.

T0mShane

I know we have the Maccagnan thread and the Bowles thread, but I personally wanted to give an ol' tip of the cap to Woody Johnson here. I rip on the guy mercilessly, but it appears as though he followed the right path this time around: he hired two of the more respected voices in the game in Wolf and Casserly and then he actually listened to them. Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles are household names, neither one is going to sell a PSL, and neither guy pretends to be a celebrity, but Woody hired them anyway. And he hired them because the two respected football men he brought in interviewed them, vetted them, and recommended them. Woody could have chased Dan Quinn into February, or he could have sold out to hire John Fox. Or, worse, he could have spent a few weeks lurching onto the back pages by tossing futile offers at guys like Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan, but he didn't. He listened to Wolf and Casserly and picked two guys who seem to be all about winning football games. Maybe this is the corner that Woody turns here. Maybe Casserly and Wolf sat Woody down and explained to him what winning franchises look like on the inside. Or maybe Woody Johnson, fresh off of putting a bullet into Tannenbaum and then Idzik, and finally Rex, realized that his priorities were screwed up. Either way, it looks like he's finally growing into the job. You go, Woody Johnson.

It may or may not work out, obviously.

I may or may not love all the specific choices.

But I find very very little to find fault in how Woody managed this transition point.

Rex, like him or not, had not put up a winning season in 4 years, and his teams were on a constant downward trend of performance.  Almost no one gets to keep their job in that situation.

Idzik was, in his short tenure, a universally panned disaster (with the only caveat being we still have no idea if many of his draft picks could still work out).

So the change was clearly warranted.

Woody brought in two of the greatest names in NFL Front Office work, Wolf and Casserly, to guide the transition and hiring.

We hired a talent guy in MacCaggan, for the first time in a while we did not hire a accountant.  That's what almost every fan wanted, a talent/football guy, not a bookkeeper.

We hired perhaps the best available Coordinator as our Head Coach in Bowles, well respected, not a reach or surprise, not a media darling, not a PSL Seller, not a "big name", but a guy who was clearly viewed as "his time" to be a Head Coach, a guy who'd earned it, put the performance out to deserve his shot, and a guy who knows the game and played the game.  The choice has received almost universal approval from the talking heads whose opinions count.

Sure, there were better candidates out there, like John Fox, a proven winner of a Head Coach.  And some might feel we should have thrown the bank account at him.  Thats a legit criticism.

And sure, some say "yet another Defensive Coach AND first time Coach......again?" and yes, that's a valid criticism.

But overall, this appears to be Woody Johnson's best work as owner, leaving the football decisions to football people, not chasing the big splashy newspaper selling hire, trusting people who have a track record of this work in Wolf and Casserly (and paying  no small amount of his money to do so), and made choices that (whilst perhaps not the choice some wanted) make plenty of sense, and are not crazy or dumb or unusual.

All we can do is hope that MacCaggan Single Malt and Super Bowles will bring us all where we've all longed to be for so so so terribly long.......to a Title.

In any event, it's nice to now have GM and Coach in place, so we can start looking at talent ON the field and making this team better.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that Bowles was the best choice, among the available candidates but what worry me a little is the high amount of yards his defense gave up even with Peterson, Cro and R. Johnson in the backfield.  They were ranked 24 altogether.  They gave up 260 passing yards and 108 rushing yards.  That is an incredible high amounts of yards. 

I'm less concerned with citing stats, the most ridiculous thing I ever heard was a post game Rex Ryan standing up there citing stats (almost always defensive ones) to the press and these came win OR lose. Like WHO FRIGGING CARES REX!!! We don't want stats we want wins, we want stops at the end of the half and in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

Yes, and a coach with a history building a dominant defense no matter who is in the lineup , versus a coach that inherited one in Baltimore. Not to mention a coach capable of building his own staff and with personnel work on his resume.

Huh? He was DC in Philly in 2012 and that defense stunk.. It's one thing to be optimistic, another to spew fiction..

I, for one, am very much looking forward to Bowles Presser accepting the job officially.

Want to hear HOW he says what he says, not WHAT he says.

Hoping for 80% Mangini/20% Rex.  Calm, cool, logic, focused.....with that hint of passion and fury behind it.

Huh? He was DC in Philly in 2012 and that defense stunk.. It's one thing to be optimistic, another to spew fiction..

I'm not spewing fiction, I'm talking about the job he did in Arizona... and you cannot dispute that Rex took over the Baltimore defense, didn't shape it, just came up a rank and ran it, and like many before him... that defense propelled him to HC. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were coach makers.

The Arizona defense is not that.

I think it's funny that everyone is applauding a hire who philosophically is very similar to Rex.  I'm happy that's there will be a certain level of continuity with the D but bottom line is if our roster improves so will our record.

I'm cool with Bowels given the candidates but I'm much more excited about replacing the real architect of last years folly. 

I know we have the Maccagnan thread and the Bowles thread, but I personally wanted to give an ol' tip of the cap to Woody Johnson here. I rip on the guy mercilessly, but it appears as though he followed the right path this time around: he hired two of the more respected voices in the game in Wolf and Casserly and then he actually listened to them. Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles are household names, neither one is going to sell a PSL, and neither guy pretends to be a celebrity, but Woody hired them anyway. And he hired them because the two respected football men he brought in interviewed them, vetted them, and recommended them. Woody could have chased Dan Quinn into February, or he could have sold out to hire John Fox. Or, worse, he could have spent a few weeks lurching onto the back pages by tossing futile offers at guys like Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan, but he didn't. He listened to Wolf and Casserly and picked two guys who seem to be all about winning football games. Maybe this is the corner that Woody turns here. Maybe Casserly and Wolf sat Woody down and explained to him what winning franchises look like on the inside. Or maybe Woody Johnson, fresh off of putting a bullet into Tannenbaum and then Idzik, and finally Rex, realized that his priorities were screwed up. Either way, it looks like he's finally growing into the job. You go, Woody Johnson.

tldr: Johnson into Bowels; Tom approves.

I think it's funny that everyone is applauding a hire who philosophically is very similar to Rex.  I'm happy that's there will be a certain level of continuity with the D but bottom line is if our roster improves so will our record.

I'm cool with Bowels given the candidates but I'm much more excited about replacing the real architect of last years folly. 

I'm applauding the process, first and foremost, and how Ownership handled it.

I think Wolf/Casserly were looking to hurry up and get their paycheck and skip town!

Waiting for Quinn would require them to travel with Woody and have meetings and dinner with him everyday until this process was over.

An additional 3 weeks proved to be too much for the old guys! :russian:

DOn't know about that. But they had to know Denver, the Bears and the Niners would also be looking at Quinn, and Bowles would be in Atlanta if they didn't hire him. Which would've left them hat in hand begging Marrone to come back when the music stopped. Suspect they spoke to Quiin's agent but no one is gonna fess up to that. 

I'm not spewing fiction, I'm talking about the job he did in Arizona... and you cannot dispute that Rex took over the Baltimore defense, didn't shape it, just came up a rank and ran it, and like many before him... that defense propelled him to HC. Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were coach makers.

The Arizona defense is not that.

he shaped ours you doofus.. And from what I can tell, Bowles had a good defense in exactly 1 spot.. And has had defenses much worse then Rex ever has.

I am glad we took this guy over Quinn though

What a bunch of Owner brown nosers around here!

Your noses are so far up Woody's ass you can see what he had for breakfast.

with that said

I endorse Maccagnan\Bowels for office - good choices

I like the Idea of a career scout\evaluator running our roster repair.

I like the idea of Bowels coming from the DB pov (not some dumbass lineman :) )

db\s have to see the field, know what everyone is doing on both sides of the ball

good training for someone to manage gameday and make on the fly adjustments

of course I endorse until such time I do not endorse either or one and at which time I reserve the right to booo, throw vegatables, fart on, moon, or do any such action I deem appropriate to project my feeling toward said individuals who do not meet my high expectations. Abstergo, adepto, acceptus......

They've had a long history of going the polar opposite route with every new hire, which you've outlined here. This feels a lot less knee-jerky than the Mangini and Idzik hires, though. The GM shift had to be done. Back-to-back accountants was disastrous. But it doesn't appear to be a major personality shift, which is usually the case. Maccagnan and Idzik are both behind the scenes guys in very different capacities. I have my reservations about Maccagnan, I'd've liked him better if he'd held GM titles in his minor league stops in Canada and the World League, but he's certainly from the right side of the business.

It feels to me like Quinn and Bowles separated themselves from the rest of the pack, and from there the team had some decisions to make. Do you go all in on Quinn when that could potentially stretch out until February - and you may still be in competition with teams like San Fransisco and Denver when you get there? Or do you lock up the guy you feel is on the same level as him, who's in your office right now?

Quinn has been associated with greater success, with the #1 defense in both points and yards two years in a row, one Super Bowl under his belt and a favorite for a second this year. But the criticism that he took over a very good defense and works for a very good defensive coach has merit, too. Bowles' defense in Arizona was all him working for an offensive coach. Quinn's team is stacked from top to bottom, Bowles' wasn't to begin with and then he had to overcome additional adversity.

I think given all the circumstances involved that they made the right choice at the right time.

+1

Couldn't have said it better!  

Well I guess the Marrone to Jets was false- Hah

Looks like Marrone coaching at all could turn out to be false too.  Did hear on the radio earlier that he's interviewing in Chicago.  Jets and Falcons interviews were almost two weeks ago but today was the first I'd heard of him generating interest elsewhere.  He's gotta' be pretty upset with Sexton with Rex taking his job while it looks like he thought it was gonna' be the other way around.  Actually, it'd be silly to be mad at a guy who got  him $4 mil no matter where he ends up.

I think we are applauding the fact that we no longer will have a coach who keeps saying stupid things in the press; guaranteeing things he can't deliver on; having pillow fight/pajama party practices.

I have a feeling Bowles will get more out of our players than Rex.... Geno in particular.

Looks like Marrone coaching at all could turn out to be false too.  Did hear on the radio earlier that he's interviewing in Chicago.  Jets and Falcons interviews were almost two weeks ago but today was the first I'd heard of him generating interest elsewhere.  He's gotta' be pretty upset with Sexton with Rex taking his job while it looks like he thought it was gonna' be the other way around.  Actually, it'd be silly to be mad at a guy who got  him $4 mil no matter where he ends up.

Remember college ranks are an option for him also-with experience there- I am sure he will get a position

Archived