Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

i keep reading stuff here like , he's one of ours, a homegrown talent, he'll retire a Jet - since when did this equate to anything on the football field.

Is Harris a good guy - Yes

Did he play very well for us over the years - Yes

But to be honest I couldn't care if we got a player from Mars if he helped the Jets win , this whole loyalty bullcrap is just that bullcrap , if he was that loyal he'd would have resigned for 4-5M/year.

1. this DOES show future signings that playing well is rewarded with $$ and loyalty.

2. Harris is a beast against the run

3. it keeps Harris from Ryan's new defense as an on field coach.

4. it's only a 3 yr deal.

5. My guess is that a restructure is needed next year ... or the year after ... he will.

6. he is a leader and can teach young guys how to play.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe the Jets are going in to 2015 with this team. They won't sign any more free agents and will let the clock expire on all of their picks at the draft. We are going to be way under the cap again.

Same old Jets.

are you drunk?

1. this DOES show future signings that playing well is rewarded with $$ and loyalty.

2. Harris is a beast against the run

3. it keeps Harris from Ryan's new defense as an on field coach.

4. it's only a 3 yr deal.

5. My guess is that a restructure is needed next year ... or the year after ... he will.

6. he is a leader and can teach young guys how to play.

1. Fa's are going to go for the money 99% of the time loyalty/schmaulty

2. Harris is good against the run and should be given our DL.

3. Couldn't care less who Ryan get's - let him screw up another team for years.

4. Its a 3 yr deal 2 years too late.

5. There's guaranteed money involved - kind of negates that aspect until year 3

6. Agree wholeheartedly with this , and is the main reason I'm ok with him resigning. My only question is what does that do to Davis leadership/motivation. I felt he could have been that guy in Bowles system .

How would you know what he liked about Harris? It seems you've decided what would be good and what would be bad and assigned what you assume he thinks with that as the basis. I understand not liking him as a head coach, or even not liking him personally on top of that, but you're purely making things up now. Ryan put Harris in charge of his defense on the field. That didn't happen by default or by accident, and he wouldn't put his precious defense under the leadership of someone if he didn't think he had that trait. If anything was obvious it's that he freaking loved Harris, and had he signed him up in Buffalo everyone here would resoundingly laugh what a dopey overpaid acquisition it was and joke about Ryan's claim Harris is the most underrated player in the NFL. Of this I have zero doubt.

You can think he is great vs the run but that doesn't make it so. Great players don't whiff or get juked like I seem do more than I care for.  He's good, not great. We could do worse, but we could also do better.

All of his shortcomings are not on the prior HC, much as many would like to believe so. Harris's shortcomings are his shortcomings. And if we signed him to be a part time, 2-down linebacker, or if we signed him to play a role suited for a fast player like Bowles says is what he wants, in neither case does this make sense for this amount. And yes, we also brought back two other slow linebackers to boot. 

Take a look at what's there, not what you've convinced yourself is there to fit a narrative.

My take on Ryan is not exclusively based on Harris .... I think Rex touts the player and only the player .... You never ever hear the guy talk about player leadership or how a players personality relates to the team. I think the reason for that is because Rex is a freakin ego maniac who thinks he is the team leader and the players follow him and his ridiculous rants. Your right I can't know any of this but it is a feeling I have didn't mean for it to sound so decisive. Rex could give a sh*t less about player leadership IMHO and that's why I pushed that opinion.

1. Fa's are going to go for the money 99% of the time loyalty/schmaulty

2. Harris is good against the run and should be given our DL.

3. Couldn't care less who Ryan get's - let him screw up another team for years.

4. Its a 3 yr deal 2 years too late.

5. There's guaranteed money involved - kind of negates that aspect until year 3

6. Agree wholeheartedly with this , and is the main reason I'm ok with him resigning. My only question is what does that do to Davis leadership/motivation. I felt he could have been that guy in Bowles system .

I agree with no. 6. ... hopefully there is a natural transition.

I fear Ryan's D more than you.

It's remarkable how durable/consistent Harris has been in his career.  Looking at his

stats over the past three years he hasn't fallen off:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10491/david-harris

Watching Harris this year will be a good test case to judge Bowles schemes against

Ryan's schemes.  Because with Ryan we know Harris was ALWAYS exposed in pass

coverage.  Bowles had a similar situation with Larry Foote in ARZ but he was able to

cover his deficiencies in pass coverage

This seems to be how Bowles did it:

The size of the contract indicates the Jets still believe Harris can be a three-down linebacker. That'll be interesting to watch because Bowles has a different approach than Ryan, who always kept at least two linebackers on the field, even on passing downs. In Arizona, Bowles replaced all but one of his linebackers with defensive backs in sub packages. In fact, he played more dime (six DBs) than any team in the league. If the Jets turn Harris into a first- and second-down linebacker, they paid way too much. 

I agree we overpaid if Harris is only a 1st or 2nd down LB now but I also don't mind overpaying as we have the money to do it.  If there was one player on the team you wanted to overpay I'd say its Harris.  Dudes numbers don't lie and he is very durable and smart.

My take on Ryan is not exclusively based on Harris .... I think Rex touts the player and only the player .... You never ever hear the guy talk about player leadership or how a players personality relates to the team. I think the reason for that is because Rex is a freakin ego maniac who thinks he is the team leader and the players follow him and his ridiculous rants. Your right I can't know any of this but it is a feeling I have didn't mean for it to sound so decisive. Rex could give a sh*t less about player leadership IMHO and that's why I pushed that opinion.

That's great. He's not the coach here anymore. Back on topic, David Harris will not suddenly get fast in his absence, and this nice, quiet, soft-spoken player will not suddenly become Ray Lewis or Drew Brees in the defensive huddle.

Bringing back Harris? Fine. 15 million guaranteed??? Ugh.

Who gives a sh#t! You wanted Harris back you got him. So he's overpaid - big deal. They know how much he is worth - a veteran, a pro, Bowles is a defensive guy. The pass defense is dependent on good corners a good pass rush. Harris is a very good ILB. I could give a rat's ass how much we paid for him. His contract will not prohibit the Jets from making the deals they need to do. We get caught way too much in value etc.

http://thejetsblog.com/

LB Harris re-signs with Jets

March 6th, 2015 1:23 pm
Free agent linebacker David Harris has re-signed with the Jets (Jets, March 6).
The deal is reportedly for three years, worth $21 million, $15 million of it fully guaranteed for the first two years. (Fox Sports, March 6).
Harris, 31, has been with the Jets for his entire career, since the team selected him in the second round of the 2007 draft. This past season, he had 150 tackles, 5.5 sacks and two forced fumbles.
Miami reportedly made Harris one of its free-agent targets. New Buffalo coach Rex Ryan also was reported to have interest in Harris as well.

Brian Bassett, TheJetsBlog.com
Some will argue that the Jets overpaid to keep Harris, and they have a point.

But with as much cap space as the Jets have available to them in the short-term, there’s little to no downside to bringing back one of the league’s very best run-stoppers and signal callers.  For the sake of the continuity with a new defense, I understand why the Jets might have been willing to overvalue Harris as they did.  Harris has had limitations in coverage, but expect coach Todd Bowles to find ways to use Harris in his familiar run-stuffing role and work him in more as a pass rusher.
Additionally, the Jets get the added benefit of keeping him away from Rex Ryan in Buffalo (an even bigger coup now that he traded away Kiko Alonso) and from the man who drafted him, Mike Tannenbaum who is now heading things up down in Miami.
In short, this is just the sort of “shoulder” deal to get a team over the hump while they build through the draft that former GM John Idzik seemed unable to make.  It is a move to buttress the team with the resources that are available right now (money) while the front office builds up the depth in other ways (lower level free agents, draft, etc.) for the mid to longer term.

FolksThe present regime looked at the tapes saw Harris and what he could do for their new scheme and kept him. They maybe paid him a little too much for his services. Yet. loyalty should have a premium. I agree with those who say how the contract is structured will make a world of difference. If most of his money is upfront and bonus, it really is not going to hurt to keep them for two years and let them go after the third.

So you cut him after '16 and carryover the hit another yr.

Yeah, I think my initial reaction was a bit overboard.  I heard they re-signed him and I was thinking a good deal would be the $8mm for 2 year range...then when I saw that number I almost jumped out of my skin.  

While i still believe he's over paid -  it's not the end of the world.  Would have rather filled the role with someone younger for half the price - but Harris is solid.

There were quite a few people claiming Matt Leinart was the best player in his own draft. Evvvvveryone had him going no lower than #3, remember? Just like that of any number of prospects.

If you can produce ANYONE who had Harris getting taken ahead of Willis, I would love to see it. Any team who considered taking Harris at #11 where Willis went (and around where he was expected to go).

You are literally the only person, other than perhaps Ryan who you clearly despise and think mindless, who would ever claim David Harris is basically just as good as Patrick Willis. I've never seen that written or said anywhere for the entirety of the career of either one. The way Willis was going his first 5-6 seasons he was headed to the HOF (and may yet get there depending on how he returns). Find me one person that, even in a joking fashion, would even suggest something so ludicrous about Harris. You are comparing someone who was a good player with someone who was a special player, and attesting not only are they virtually the same, but that everyone thinks so or at least used to.

And yawn with the Rex ruined him stuff. Harris, while obviously good, wasn't an other-worldly linebacker because he has limited physical talent and ability. What people (Jets fans in particular) took notice of, was how infinitely better-suited to Mangini's strict and inflexible 3-4 defensive front than the puny and weak Vilma was. He was not roundly considered a stud by every Jet fan until Rex came around, at which point his career took this hard turn for the worse. Where do you get this crap from? Christ, the guy missed a freaking third of the season before Rex supposedly ruined him, and I absolutely remember concerns about his durability and whether he was truly big enough to sustain the role (regardless of how much better he was than Vilma in it). If anything, Ryan made him seem more valuable by pairing Scott next to him in a very specific role that allowed Harris to take sole credit for team/scheme defense in the form of higher tackle stats. Your retelling of Jets lore regarding Harris is preposterous, and so far not one of these things you claim about him are or were true.

Beyond any of that, he is way too slow to warrant a contract of this size, since he's best suited as a 2-down LBer no matter what anyone claims he would have been offered elsewhere.

This was dumb re-signing for this type of deal. It was one that was also wholly unnecessary, is ill-suited for a new head coach who claims he will be preaching speed and needs faster players, and we will be forgoing any potential improvement over Harris until the 2017 season if we're lucky.

If something happens to the contrary, where we draft someone this year in rounds 1-3 who replaces Harris in the lineup, then you can come back and gloat in my face. But I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Plus if it did, then this re-signing with $15M guaranteed is doubly stupid.

You clearly didn't read what I wrote. I didn't say people thought Harris would be drafted ahead of Willis or had him ranked ahead of Willis in the draft. What I said is after their respective rookie seasons many people were saying Harris might be as good as Willis and was the steal of the draft. As for the rest of your post sorry man tl;dr. Got something about you love Rex blah blah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to give Bowles the benefit of the doubt. He wanted Harris back, and they got it done before the start of FA. You let Harris hit FA as the #2 ranked ILB and who knows what his #s end up looking like..

What was the alternative- letting him walk and signing an inferior FA or drafting a guy in the mid rounds and plug him in? Harris is a vet leader. Used properly, he's still a solid ILB. The Jets obviously have the cap space. Sure they gave him a little more than we would've wanted.. but it's one less hole to fill this offseason. 

You clearly didn't read what I wrote. I didn't say people thought Harris would be drafted ahead of Willis or had him ranked ahead of Willis in the draft. What I said is after their respective rookie seasons many people were saying Harris might be as good as Willis and was the steal of the draft. As for the rest of your post sorry man tl;dr. Got something about you love Rex blah blah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me more about how David Harris isn't Patrick Willis because Rex something something.

Most of the accolades from Harris's rookie season came from one game where he had like 20 tackles. The rest was the dramatic improvement over Vilma because of how obvious it then became how Vilma didn't belong in Mangini's defense.

Besides, whatever he may have been or whatever you may think he was going to be isn't what he is or was thereafter in comparison to a perennial 1st team all pro.

He was slow. Willis was not slow. You think Willis would get chased down from behind, in a dead heat footrace, from a 300-lb Alge Crumpler? Yeah right.

This is a player we should have improved upon, not re-signed so we could watch him continue to get progressively worse, while we make no attempt to find a replacement with a younger, faster player who's actually suited to what Bowles says he wants and needs.

Tell me more about how David Harris isn't Patrick Willis because Rex something something.

Most of the accolades from Harris's rookie season came from one game where he had like 20 tackles. The rest was the dramatic improvement over Vilma because of how obvious it then became how Vilma didn't belong in Mangini's defense.

Besides, whatever he may have been or whatever you may think he was going to be isn't what he is or was thereafter in comparison to a perennial 1st team all pro.

He was slow. Willis was not slow. You think Willis would get chased down from behind, in a dead heat footrace, from a 300-lb Alge Crumpler? Yeah right.

This is a player we should have improved upon, not re-signed so we could watch him continue to get progressively worse, while we make no attempt to find a replacement with a younger, faster player who's actually suited to what Bowles says he wants and needs.

Ditto a head scratching signing, get young and get better.

Maybe we can acquire Roman Harper to play safety and field the slowest defense of all-time.

Ditto a head scratching signing, get young and get better.

No doubt they overpaid - but I'm sure they looked at the market and made a decision that they weren't going to be in a position to upgrade.  Made an estimate as to what Harris would get on the open market - realized they had a ton of money and simply took the safe route.

At least I hope that's what happened - the alternative is truly frightening.

His replacement will be drafted this year. That's what good teams do. Harris would be a coach to a young guy coming in.

Strong LB crop this year.

WRs, RBs, LBs.

Jets will get a LB in this draft.

No doubt they overpaid - but I'm sure they looked at the market and made a decision that they weren't going to be in a position to upgrade.  Made an estimate as to what Harris would get on the open market - realized they had a ton of money and simply took the safe route.

Jets missed boat on CJ Mosely last yr, taking Calvin was also mind boggling

Most likely you're correct. Another thing it indicates to me is it be cluing us in to how Maccagnan drafts. He doesn't want to be forced into drafting an ILB early because of an immediate hole. (My own issue is I don't think that would have been necessary; maybe if we were fielding one MLB, but not when he's one of two and we have the 2nd one; 1 of 2 ILBers is far less crucial than a lone MLB).

It could mean he wants to go BPA and not worry about need trumping who's truly the better prospect (in his eyes). Idzik it seemed wanted to do that, but he went full spectrum on the other side of it and picked up some truly awful players as his placeholders. So I get not wanting to repeat failed history (and with our cap space he doesn't have to). Problem is Harris isn't a placeholder with this contract: he is a locked-in starter for multiple seasons.

Also it could be a targeted draft in reverse: a stay-away targeted draft. Draft the BPA who isn't an ILB, since (barring a Harris injury) he won't start until 2017 anyway.

Unless it's Demario Davis they want to move on from, or are planning for the possibility of moving on from, and don't want to now have to find two ILBers who are both upgrades, almost immediately, in successive seasons. If that's the case, then I suppose the re-signing is more sound and arguably even smart despite the overpayment. If that's what happens, then I agree not to have squabbled over a small amount less we might have been able to sign him for as a FA. But there's no indication today that this is their plan.

But I really wanted to find a faster player after our new HC was preaching speed as a primary goal on defense. Especially after re-signing Pace and Babin. 

Re-signing the Hitman made me happier than signing Marshall. I love Harris and dreaded the thoughts of him leaving. :)

And you can be happy that he was brought back, it was just the contract.  7,5mill! The fans that posted who wanted him back, expected him to come back at less than he was making, not more.  Harris is a good Soldier, and Bowles wants to reward that when he can.  BB gave 4mill a year to Arrington, when most thought he was going to get 1/2 that. When players play the game the way that coach wants, he puts them on a pedestal. This one just happens to be jewel encrusted.

And you can be happy that he was brought back, it was just the contract.  7,5mill! The fans that posted who wanted him back, expected him to come back at less than he was making, not more.  Harris is a good Soldier, and Bowles wants to reward that when he can.  BB gave 4mill a year to Arrington, when most thought he was going to get 1/2 that. When players play the game the way that coach wants, he puts them on a pedestal. This one just happens to be jewel encrusted.

Arrington blows as evidenced by his benching in SB

Most likely you're correct. Another thing it indicates to me is it be cluing us in to how Maccagnan drafts. He doesn't want to be forced into drafting an ILB early because of an immediate hole. (My own issue is I don't think that would have been necessary; maybe if we were fielding one MLB, but not when he's one of two and we have the 2nd one; 1 of 2 ILBers is far less crucial than a lone MLB).

It could mean he wants to go BPA and not worry about need trumping who's truly the better prospect (in his eyes). Idzik it seemed wanted to do that, but he went full spectrum on the other side of it and picked up some truly awful players as his placeholders. So I get not wanting to repeat failed history (and with our cap space he doesn't have to). Problem is Harris isn't a placeholder with this contract: he is a locked-in starter for multiple seasons.

Also it could be a targeted draft in reverse: a stay-away targeted draft. Draft the BPA who isn't an ILB, since (barring a Harris injury) he won't start until 2017 anyway.

Unless it's Demario Davis they want to move on from, or are planning for the possibility of moving on from, and don't want to now have to find two ILBers who are both upgrades, almost immediately, in successive seasons. If that's the case, then I suppose the re-signing is more sound and arguably even smart despite the overpayment. If that's what happens, then I agree not to have squabbled over a small amount less we might have been able to sign him for as a FA. But there's no indication today that this is their plan.

But I really wanted to find a faster player after our new HC was preaching speed as a primary goal on defense. Especially after re-signing Pace and Babin. 

Agree with what you're saying, but there's another line of thinking and it has to do with what happens next.  

They wanted to maintain the run defense assuring it continues to be one of the best in the league.  They already signed the #1 WR...which leaves them the ability to get very aggressive on the DB front in FA...

I already know your feelings toward Revis - but let's say (for arguments sake) you do put all your money into McCourty and Revis (leaving some for a guard, draft picks and Mo)  - you can move Pryor into the box more often - further stiffening the run defense and taking protection pressure off Harris....You now have the makings of a defense that can be an elite unit.  

Get some average play from a QB - and this is a team that can compete this year - maybe not for a Super Bowl - but certainly a playoff spot ...

Agree with what you're saying, but there's another line of thinking and it has to do with what happens next.  

They wanted to sure up the run defense assuring it continues to be one of the best in the league.  They sured up the #1 WR...which leaves them the ability to get very aggressive on the DB front in FA...

I already know your feelings toward Revis - but let's say (for arguments sake) you do put all your money into McCourty and Revis (leaving some for a guard, draft picks and Mo)  - you can move Pryor into the box more often - further shoring up the run defense and taking protection pressure off Harris....You now have the makings of a defense that can be an elite unit.  

Get some average play from a QB - and this is a team that can compete this year (maybe not for a Super Bowl - but certainly a playoff spot ...

Tell you what, if we pick up a known-quantity at QB, I have no problem picking up Revis for a season. Foles is the only one who comes to mind, and while 4th year Foles is not 4th year Peyton Manning, he's good enough to put up pretty much perfect numbers for a long stretch (as has been demonstrated). But we'd have to trade for him now not on draft day.

Mccagnan and Bowles can't do it all at once.  There are so many holes and deficiencies on the team to address and no immediate viable replacement on the roster for Harris.  I have no doubt that a replacement for Harris will be acquired in this or next year's draft or via free agency next year.  Meanwhile, keeping Harris for two years maintains the leadership on and off the field for this defense and allows management a 1-2 year cushion to groom his replacement while addressing the more urgent needs immediately.

So they probably guaranteed $3 or $4 million more than another team would have (I'll bet Rex would have paid close to what we are), but given that we have no cap issues this year or next and that it will have zero impact on the cap 3 years down the road, it is a logical and acceptable decision to keep Harris for 2 more years.

Archived