Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

Move: Re-signing linebacker David Harris

Grade: A

Comment: He was the Jets' No. 1 priority among their own free agents. It was pricey ($15 million, fully guaranteed), but if you're going to overpay, you'd rather do it for one of your own. It shows loyalty.

This is the worst excuse i have read for overpaying. And if he admits it's overpaying how do you grade it an A ?

You shut up and enjoy the rare generosity!

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were absolutely people here that argued that the roster is 100% on the GM, slats. Don't generalize me as one of those black and white debaters, when I've consistently said that the roster is on both the HC and GM. I'm actually taking a dig at the black and white debates that did in fact take place here, quite a bit about this subject.

The roster being on the GM is different than saying that the head coach had no input at all in personnel decisions. At the end of the day, the roster is the GM's responsibility. And the GM's Rex worked for here had final say. How much they chose to cave to him is ultimately on them. 

Ironic asking not to be generalized for your generalizing. :)

Because showing loyalty is a good thing, at least in Rich's book. It's nice to have guys like that, guys we drafted, guys that have been very productive for us for a long time, guys that will play their first game here and then finish their career here. Like a Ray Lewis, Polamalu and so on. It's nice to have that. I don't totally disagree but I wouldn't just hand people big contracts out of loyalty, that's obviously silly. Harris however wasn't re-signed out of kindness, he was re-signed, because we need a leader in the front 7, somebody who takes charge, calls the plays, runs the defense, has a lot of experience. The few millions we would have saved by letting him walk or offered him less which then would have forced him out, wouldn't make a difference. The big thing was keeping him here. Without him this defense probably doesn't work. The rest of the signings don't have as big of an impact, the entire defense takes a hit. We didn't just invest in one player, I think it was more to make sure the defense as a whole can play at their highest level. I don't think that would have been a possibility without Harris. So who cares, nobody is going to talk about how much money he makes unless he can't get the job done of course.

Couldn't say it better myself.  Great post!  I think Harris was a very important signing for this defense.

Edit:  Has there been any new news on Moore's visit?  Been very quiet on that front and hoping we locked him up.

The roster being on the GM is different than saying that the head coach had no input at all in personnel decisions. At the end of the day, the roster is the GM's responsibility. And the GM's Rex worked for here had final say. How much they chose to cave to him is ultimately on them

Well we know Rex didn't want Stephan Hill..  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/20035934/jets-coach-rex-ryan-didnt-want-to-draft-wr-stephen-hill

Assuming Miami did this with Jason Taylor when he was on the Jets ...I wouldn't care I never considered JT a Jet ...he was always a Dolphin..and the same goes for LT its just Kraft being a tool.. full of a shed full of them 

It's nice to have guys like that, guys we drafted, guys that have been very productive for us for a long time, guys that will play their first game here and then finish their career here. Like a Ray Lewis, Polamalu and so on.

One of these things is not like the others

Move: Re-signing linebacker David Harris

Grade: A

Comment: He was the Jets' No. 1 priority among their own free agents. It was pricey ($15 million, fully guaranteed), but if you're going to overpay, you'd rather do it for one of your own. It shows loyalty.

This is the worst excuse i have read for overpaying. And if he admits it's overpaying how do you grade it an A ?

I think they came in high, I would not give that signing an A. But I also don't think it was the end of the world, or dramatically overpriced. I'd probably give it a B-. They're still soft at the position after signing Harris, so having the alleged QB of the defense under contract is probably, overall, a good thing.  

And the Rex hating group liked saying every pick was 100% Rex Tanny just bent over for him.. I think the HC and GM work together as a team in most cases.. One that didn't seemed to be the Tuna with both the Giants and Pats who complained about the GM on both teams.. If I have to cook the meal I want to be able to buy the groceries he cried.. :winking0001: It turned out with the Jets he sucked at shopping..

I never said this, so I'm not sure why you are bothering me about it.

I said Rex clearly was working with both of his GMs. People told me I was wrong, and insisted only Idzik and Tanny were at fault. Not sure why you are protesting me, when your second sentence agrees with me.

The roster being on the GM is different than saying that the head coach had no input at all in personnel decisions. At the end of the day, the roster is the GM's responsibility. And the GM's Rex worked for here had final say. How much they chose to cave to him is ultimately on them. 

You're better than this.

I never said this, so I'm not sure why you are bothering me about it.

I said Rex clearly was working with both of his GMs. People told me I was wrong, and insisted only Idzik and Tanny were at fault. Not sure why you are protesting me, when your second sentence agrees with me.

Who doesn't like responding to a talking Ape?? :winking0001:

One of these things is not like the others

I never said he's as good as Ray was, that's not the point. I don't care how good you are, if you can manage to stick with one team your entire career, around 10 years, you did something right. You were a damn good player. Doesn't matter how many Pro Bowls you've had. Kevin Faulk wasn't exactly Marshal Faulk either, but he was damn good and NE had him around for ... forever it seems. And now he's like part of their coaching staff. I want those same guys here in NY. Like a Chrebet. Harris, Mangold, Brick, they have a chance. It's too bad it didn't work out with Revis.

I never said he's as good as Ray was, that's not the point. I don't care how good you are, if you can manage to stick with one team your entire career, around 10 years, you did something right. You were a damn good player. Doesn't matter how many Pro Bowls you've had. Kevin Faulk wasn't exactly Marshal Faulk either, but he was damn good and NE had him around for ... forever it seems. And now he's like part of their coaching staff. I want those same guys here in NY. Like a Chrebet. Harris, Mangold, Brick, they have a chance. It's too bad it didn't work out with Revis.

What do you mean, "stick with one team"? Harris isn't a lifetime Jet because the laws of nature made it so; he's a lifetime Jet because two different front offices have handed him contracts he didn't earn.

Ray Lewis wanted to leave the Ravens and was mad that Rex took Scott instead.. http://wnst.net/nfl/ray-made-his-bed-now-he-has-to-sleep-in-it/

I think they came in high, I would not give that signing an A. But I also don't think it was the end of the world, or dramatically overpriced. I'd probably give it a B-. They're still soft at the position after signing Harris, so having the alleged QB of the defense under contract is probably, overall, a good thing.  

I would grade it C+.

But that's not good enough for me. Plus at the age Harris is,  going forward at his position players do tend to slow down. So yeah sharp brain et al he sure would know where to go in an instant but getting there might take some time.

I tried making this point a few times but some people don't want to hear it.  It is the GM's job to build a roster.  He's free to get input from any member of the staff but at the end of the day he's the one that makes the trade/signing/draft pick.

After the Jets announced they'd be moving on, multiple reports surfaced saying Woody was upset with Rex because he wasn't vocal enough in regards to personnel moves.  One of Rex's faults was clearly his belief that he could win no matter who he had out there. 

I don't think you are necessarily correct here.  It is VERY possible that Woody afforded Rex a lot more say than he should have AND the authority to dictate certain things to his GM.  

I am pretty sure that Rex had nearly full control over all Round 1 picks.  Don't tell me it's coincidence that in his 6 years, he drafted SIX defensive players and Sanchez with his 7 1st round picks. And Sanchez was handpicked by Rex after he and Tanny watched him throw to some kids on a California high school field.  It is a well known fact that Rex fell in love with Sanchez that day, which led to the trade up with Cleveland to get Rex's prize.  

It's highly unlikely that BOTH Tanny AND Idzik voluntarily deferred to Rex for all those 1st rounders.  We'll never know for sure, but there are insiders in Florham Park who have strongly implied this.  In addition, it was Rex, and only Rex, who decided to bring in his ex-Ravens, including the washed up Mason who quickly teamed up with a$$hole Burress and became locker room cancers.  

Blind Rex apologists and defenders like to deflect the blame onto the GM, but both GMs were overly compliant to Rex's ridiculous personnel desires.  

I don't think you are necessarily correct here.  It is VERY possible that Woody afforded Rex a lot more say than he should have AND the authority to dictate certain things to his GM.  

I am pretty sure that Rex had nearly full control over all Round 1 picks.  Don't tell me it's coincidence that in his 6 years, he drafted SIX defensive players and Sanchez with his 7 1st round picks. And Sanchez was handpicked by Rex after he and Tanny watched him throw to some kids on a California high school field.  It is a well known fact that Rex fell in love with Sanchez that day, which led to the trade up with Cleveland to get Rex's prize.  

It's highly unlikely that BOTH Tanny AND Idzik voluntarily deferred to Rex for all those 1st rounders.  We'll never know for sure, but there are insiders in Florham Park who have strongly implied this.  In addition, it was Rex, and only Rex, who decided to bring in his ex-Ravens, including the washed up Mason who quickly teamed up with a$$hole Burress and became locker room cancers.  

Blind Rex apologists and defenders like to deflect the blame onto the GM, but both GMs were overly compliant to Rex's ridiculous personnel desires.  

Five of the last six first round selections the Jets had prior to Rex also were used on defensive players, and I don't think anyone will be surprised if this year's #1 is a defender as well. Maybe it is coincidence. 

As I said above, those GMs had final say on the roster. It's ultimately in their name. If they didn't agree with Rex on a draft pick, they should've over-ridden him. I don't think there's much evidence that Idzik was doing Rex's bidding, outside of maybe letting him take Richardson. ;) Before the steamroll of it's all Rex's fault, the conversation was about the one pick Rex was supposedly allowed every draft -John Connor, Scotty McKnight, Tahj Boyd- and how those picks sucked. Which is 100% fair. Somewhere down the line, though, it became every pick and free agent. I think that's highly unlikely, and even if it were, the GMs who signed off on those selections deserved their fate. 

Man, looking over the free agents...why haven't we scheduled a visit yet with Sam Acho? He'd be a perfect fit here. I'd take him all day over Pace and possibly even Babin. Denarius Moore should be signed as well. BJ Raji would be a nice addition to the D-Line, he can play NT and DE. Lance Briggs is another guy I like for the vet minimum, perfect fit in the 3-4 as an ILB. Kind of like a Bart Scott type. Rolando McClain, athletic ILB with too much baggage. And we have to find a blocking TE in the draft...

Man, looking over the free agents...why haven't we scheduled a visit yet with Sam Acho? He'd be a perfect fit here. I'd take him all day over Pace and possibly even Babin. Denarius Moore should be signed as well. BJ Raji would be a nice addition to the D-Line, he can play NT and DE. Lance Briggs is another guy I like for the vet minimum, perfect fit in the 3-4 as an ILB. Kind of like a Bart Scott type. Rolando McClain, athletic ILB with too much baggage. And we have to find a blocking TE in the draft...

I like the list, unfortunately I don't think there is much now left in the pot after our Revis, Cro and Harris blow out.

I like the list, unfortunately I don't think there is much now left in the pot after our Revis, Cro and Harris blow out.

I think we have around 10 mil. left if you add the Cro signing, which I guess is ok. We're ranked somewhere in the middle in terms of cap space so I think we're gonna be fine. But it looks like Macc wants to make sure we have enough money left to add some of the bigger names that will be released post June.

I think we have around 10 mil. left if you add the Cro signing, which I guess is ok. We're ranked somewhere in the middle in terms of cap space so I think we're gonna be fine. But it looks like Macc wants to make sure we have enough money left to add some of the bigger names that will be released post June.

You need at least 1/2 that for your draft picks.

Archived