Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're going to have them at $45 million over the cap when they sign Denarius Moore.

no I'm just going on reported average salary.  gilchrist was a curveball, and a pleasant one.  I think cro + purdem is at least 6 million this year

He's exactly the kind of wide out that the Jets need to go along with what they have

Agreed, once we signed Marshall, we need a speedster.  Moore is also a KR and  PR, also a need with Harvin moving on.

This move doesn't mean we can't draft a WR either, just allows us more flexibility in strategy and execution.

Moore was a stud his rookie year, it is fair to ask what happened last year and year before, though the QB position and offense has been in complete disarray for several years over there.  I would guess that last year was a growing year for Carr and the conservative offensive game planning to limit Carr's mistakes impacted Moore's effectiveness in any downfield opportunities and in the passing game as a whole.

Anyone know if the jets were represented at Bryce Petty's workout? apparently Rex went down there to work him out, so I guess Bills are interested.

I'm going to guess Petty is a running QB. lol

I'm pretty sure Jets were represented for Hundley's pro day.  I'm hoping we take Hundley in the 2nd 

No idea how they let Murray walk and then sign this guy. Last season I started to think Jones had it figured out, and then this. Wow

Elite DL vs a running back that wasn't jack until last season?  Not exactly a dumb move.  I am not saying Murray was a one hit wonder, but there is no evidence to prove he wasn't.  Elite WR and DL trump RB if the vault is not overflowing -- they played it the right way IMO.

looks like the jets are at about $9 million after cro and purdem.  not too bad.  take away $4 million for rookies and $5  million for in season moves, and the jets are basically keeping thier heads above water.

basically anybody they sign now means someone is getting cut

looking at post june 1 cuts, the players who are the most attractive to cut are;

calvin pace, especially if the jets draft a pass rusher

jeff cumberland also saves money 

Antonio allen is also on the hot seat

darrin walls should start packing

Perfect.  The cap is not so tight that we can't make 1 more "big" move if we want to.  If, say, Brees/Rivers magically came available we could cut all 4 of those guys.  I also would add Jason Babin to that list.  That would free up a little over $8M of additional cap space by cutting those 5, or about $5-6M if we cut 3 of them.

Is there a bigger (literally) piece of sh*t in the media than Pastabello?

Ellis was a third round pick who couldn't get on the field behind a couple undrafted guys. If the Jets were weak on the DL, Ellis being a bust would be a regular topic of conversation. Fortunately, the team has had enough talent up front that no one noticed that Ellis wasn't contributing. His one year deal is downright Ducasse-like, as has been his career to date.

Ellis was a third round pick who couldn't get on the field behind a couple undrafted guys. If the Jets were weak on the DL, Ellis being a bust would be a regular topic of conversation. Fortunately, the team has had enough talent up front that no one noticed that Ellis wasn't contributing. His one year deal is downright Ducasse-like, as has been his career to date.

I'm still waiting for you to go "got you!" but I'm getting a feeling that you're actually being serious.

Ellis was no bust and certainly not Ducasse-like.  

Yes, he was often injured and inconsistent but he also had moments where he dominated.  We happened to have better players but he is by no means a bust.  

I'm still waiting for you to go "got you!" but I'm getting a feeling that you're actually being serious.

Good, young, healthy, former third round picks don't sign one-year, $1.65M contracts in free agency. Those are reserved for potential reclamation projects - which is what Ellis is. Don't kid yourself, or be jaded by your hatred for a particular reporter, Ellis was essentially a bust.

Good, young, healthy, former third round picks don't sign one-year, $1.65M contracts in free agency. Those are reserved for potential reclamation projects - which is what Ellis is. Don't kid yourself, or be jaded by your hatred for a particular reporter, Ellis was essentially a bust.

He was a third round pick that saw consistent playing time (when not injured) He certainly didn't turn into the all-pro we hoped he could be...

But 3rd round picks that see regularly playing time are in NO WAY busts.

He was a third round pick that saw consistent playing time (when not injured) He certainly didn't turn into the all-pro we hoped he could be...

But 3rd round picks that see regularly playing time are in NO WAY busts.

His new contract disagrees with you. If the league viewed him as a talented guy stuck behind more talented guys, he'd've signed a multi-year deal for significantly more money. He's not viewed that way. He's seen as a disappointment to this point in his career - if you don't like the word bust.

Agreed, once we signed Marshall, we need a speedster.  Moore is also a KR and  PR, also a need with Harvin moving on.

This move doesn't mean we can't draft a WR either, just allows us more flexibility in strategy and execution.

Moore was a stud his rookie year, it is fair to ask what happened last year and year before, though the QB position and offense has been in complete disarray for several years over there.  I would guess that last year was a growing year for Carr and the conservative offensive game planning to limit Carr's mistakes impacted Moore's effectiveness in any downfield opportunities and in the passing game as a whole.

Denarius Moore isn't really a punt returner, or kick returner. ( you have a problem if he's in that role). HE is a very good deep threat who the Raiders used Andre Holmes 6'4 225 ( same one trick pony) instead. Denarius Moore is way better than Holmes in that role, but there were a lot of questionable decisions last year coaching staff made with the Personnel.

If the Jets are looking for him to be just that deep threat( get single coverage he dangerous) but if your counting on him to be more, than your going to be disappointed . He has a world of talent, but isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

looks like the jets are at about $9 million after cro and purdem.  not too bad.  take away $4 million for rookies and $5  million for in season moves, and the jets are basically keeping thier heads above water.

basically anybody they sign now means someone is getting cut

looking at post june 1 cuts, the players who are the most attractive to cut are;

calvin pace, especially if the jets draft a pass rusher

jeff cumberland also saves money 

Antonio allen is also on the hot seat

darrin walls should start packing

Not sure why Allen would be on the hot seat.  I recall him being effective against TEs last season when he was playing S and not CB.  But more importantly, I only see four Safeties on the roster, Pryor, Gilchrist, Allen and Miles.  I can't see Allen being expendable unless we at least sign another Safety. 

His new contract disagrees with you. If the league viewed him as a talented guy stuck behind more talented guys, he'd've signed a multi-year deal for significantly more money. He's not viewed that way. He's seen as a disappointment to this point in his career - if you don't like the word bust.

Won't disagree with that.  I loved his potential - the times when he completely blew people off the LOS - was very impressive.  Never really materialized...

I guess the word Bust, to me, means something much harsher - especially for a 3rd round pick.

Allen 

Not sure why Allen would be on the hot seat.  I recall him being effective against TEs last season when he was playing S and not CB.  But more importantly, I only see four Safeties on the roster, Pryor, Gilchrist, Allen and Miles.  I can't see Allen being expendable unless we at least sign another Safety. 

Agree.  I think Allen is the type-of player Bowles would like in his system.

Denarius Moore isn't really a punt returner, or kick returner. ( you have a problem if he's in that role). HE is a very good deep threat who the Raiders used Andre Holmes 6'4 225 ( same one trick pony) instead. Denarius Moore is way better than Holmes in that role, but there were a lot of questionable decisions last year coaching staff made with the Personnel.

If the Jets are looking for him to be just that deep threat( get single coverage he dangerous) but if your counting on him to be more, than your going to be disappointed . He has a world of talent, but isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

i hope we sign him. going from the likes of clyde gates to the likes of moore can't be a bad thing even if he can only run 1 route.

classy.

The Jets did do a lot for him off the field.  The Jets were instrumental in assisting Ellis with legal help in his efforts not to be deported.  There were some serious issues he faced with his residency.

Whether it is Moore or someone else, this team is still paper thin at WR behind Decker, Kerley and Marshall.  If one of those 3 goes down, we are not much better off than we were last year.  We have 4 guys on the current roster who have never caught an NFL pass (Evans, Enunwa, Walt Powell and Salim Hakim) and two guys (Owusu and Graham) who have about 75 catches between them.

I like the fact that Mac is looking at other experienced WRs -- Moore may not be a great receiver, but he does have 140+ catches in a four year career.  If we can bring in an experienced, cheap vet like Moore or someone else and add a rookie early in the draft, we will be much better off than we are now.

classy.

The Jets did do a lot for him off the field.  The Jets were instrumental in assisting Ellis with legal help in his efforts not to be deported.  There were some serious issues he faced with his residency.

Absolutely true.  Nice to see a guy who appreciates things like that. Wish him the best.

Archived