Jets trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick (All things Fitzpatrick in here)

Morrissey

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know this how?  It was always a conclusion that the team needed a vet to push Geno and provide some stability.  It made sense to after the guy who had already played under Chan and had some success.   You have no idea who will be starting because like it or not Geno does have an upside and in Chans spread offense might just excel; if not we have a legit insurance policy in Fitz. 

Geno won't be helped by a veteran.  The team gets helped by the presence of a veteran.  In that the veteran starts and Geno sits.  It also makes sense to start the guy that's familiar with the system and has had success in it.  This opposed to starting the bad QB and hope the Harvard graduate can explain it to Geno like he's a 5 year old.

What is Geno's upside?  Tell me what you're seeing in him that no one else has.

Also, boobs.

photo-28685.jpg?_r=1426044615

I think that he is cheaper this way.  There is no bonus, no guarantee and only $3.25M left.  Houston may have cut him, but there was a good chance he was getting much more money.  McCown got 3 for $14M with $6.25M guarantee and he is worse by most standards (older, worse stats, less starts, more recent failure)  Worth a conditional pick a year away to save some cash on a stop gap

McCown was signed before free agency. Fitzpatrick really didn't have much choice. Are there any other teams out there that are still looking for their sh*tty, veteran pseudo-starter?

If there's an actual QB competition, fine. But if it's anything like what Tampa did with McCown last year, nope.

Also, I know it's just a 7th rounder, but the trade seemed unnecessary. No way he wasn't getting cut by Houston and also no way he wouldn't have just signed with the Jets anyway considering his connections to the GM and OC and our QB situation. I'd rather not just literally give away draft picks, even if they're sh*tty draft picks.

I believe the reason for the trade was that if he hit the open market he wouldn't have signed for 3.25m.

McCown was signed before free agency. Fitzpatrick really didn't have much choice. Are there any other teams out there that are still looking for their sh*tty, veteran pseudo-starter?

I think plenty will, but McCown signed as a backup and got more money.  We are talking about a 2016 conditional.  I don't see the problem with the trade unless you just don't like Fitzpatrick which is perfectly understandable.

Because we want hope out of the QB position and Fitzpatrick offers zero. Even Geno offered a little.

Young and sucks > old and sucks.

Better answer is because Fitzpatrick can start until a rookie is ready, without a revolt to rush him in. The team cannot start Smith for a 3rd straight season; there will be way too much pressure to throw the rookie in no matter how unready he still is. 

Mariota may not be ready at all until year 2 and some suggest he may even be really ready until year 3 (if the latter has any validity, I don't see how he's a #6 overall pick in the first place).

I think they take a QB in rounds 2-4 (possibly trade up from round 2 a little higher depending on how the rumor mill changes with the #3-4 QB prospects. Or possibly with a late 1 if there is some trade down movement if they like someone else enough. But without moving down I think they go for a pass rusher at #6 they hope can be elite. OLB is the one conspicuous position they didn't address in free agency and the FA prices for mere 6-8 sack guys has gotten insane.

If you defend this move or in any way supportive of Ryan Fizzpatrick you need to be tarred and feathured and shamed as you are casted out of society on a horse with a bucket on your head.

MATT SIMMS > RYAN FITZPATRICK AND GENO SMITH PUT TOGETHER IN A BLENDER

Everyone here KILLED Fitzpatrick while he was on any other team. STOP giving him love just cause he has a jets helmet. Wake up.

Strike two imo for this new regimine. Revis pick up is a joke.

If there's an actual QB competition, fine. But if it's anything like what Tampa did with McCown last year, nope.

Also, I know it's just a 7th rounder, but the trade seemed unnecessary. No way he wasn't getting cut by Houston and also no way he wouldn't have just signed with the Jets anyway considering his connections to the GM and OC and our QB situation. I'd rather not just literally give away draft picks, even if they're sh*tty draft picks.

Have you seen what backup QBs are getting? Fitzpatrick may be a lower-tier starter, but he is a starter. Backup QBs are now $5M/year with bonus and guarantees. Fitz is $3.25M for the year. If someone we draft looks ok by the end of the year, no problems. If not, THEN give him a new 2-year deal.

We have two 7th rounders. It's really no big deal. They have more value in throw-in's in deals like this than they do in the players we actually draft there.

If we love the 7th round that much trade back 1-2 slots in round 4 (or a similarly insignificant move down). It ain't no thing. Way worth a whole season's potential starter, and the other player we get by not paying him $7M (maybe more) instead of $3M.

Have you seen what backup QBs are getting? Fitzpatrick may be a lower-tier starter, but he is a starter. Backup QBs are now $5M/year with bonus and guarantees. Fitz is $3.25M for the year. If someone we draft looks ok by the end of the year, no problems. If not, THEN give him a new 2-year deal.

We have two 7th rounders. It's really no big deal. They have more value in throw-in's in deals like this than they do in the players we actually draft there.

If we love the 7th round that much trade back 1-2 slots in round 4 (or a similarly insignificant move down). It ain't no thing. Way worth a whole season's potential starter, and the other player we get by not paying him $7M (maybe more) instead of $3M.

I thought that I read it was a conditional 7th in 2016 that could go to a 6th based on playing time.  Was that unsubstantiated?

If you defend this move or in any way supportive of Ryan Fizzpatrick you need to be tarred and feathured and shamed as you are casted out of society on a horse with a bucket on your head.

MATT SIMMS > RYAN FITZPATRICK AND GENO SMITH PUT TOGETHER IN A BLENDER

Everyone here KILLED Fitzpatrick while he was on any other team. STOP giving him love just cause he has a jets helmet. Wake up.

Strike two imo for this new regimine. Revis pick up is a joke.

Avoidance of strike two for the new GM/HC would have been handing the job to Matt Simms? 

Also if they were put together in a blender then I would hope Matt Simms was better. Put them in a blender (and presumably turn it on and blend/liquify them) and Ricky Ray would be better.

I thought that I read it was a conditional 7th in 2016 that could go to a 6th based on playing time.  Was that unsubstantiated?

Yeah I didn't care enough to commit it to memory. Value is the same. Trade a 7th rounder this year for a 6th next year and it's even no matter how much he plays.

I think plenty will, but McCown signed as a backup and got more money.  We are talking about a 2016 conditional.  I don't see the problem with the trade unless you just don't like Fitzpatrick which is perfectly understandable.

Yeah, I don't like him.

His physical skillset limits what an offense can do.

Fitzpatrick is getting paid less than any backup QB who's signed so far. I think people are losing sight of this. He is not some entrenched starter, and we're not locked in to anything. He doesn't even have to make it to September and it's still no big deal.

The only thing inexcusable would be if they didn't bring in a veteran no matter who they do or do not draft. He's started every season for several years in a row now. 

Smith may be better than he was, but at least we're not banking the season on it; the expectation with a move like this is that Smith will not see the field. If he turns his whole career around goody for us. But my God you can't bet on it happening. If he does, somehow, then Fitz is a more than adequate solution as backup. 

They should draft another one this year anyway (and don't wait until round 7 to pull that trigger). 

Who's signed to be a backup this offseason? With the cap going up, while I don't doubt the numbers would go up, Fitz did just sign his current contract last year. Was it front-loaded in the first season?

I just don't see that there would have been much competition for his services as a potential starter. He may have made more money as a backup elsewhere, but if he wanted an opportunity to start, he really only had one option.

Of course, I wanted no part of him. That's the perspective I'm coming from.

Kevin White...back at ya

only reason to get fitz is to draft M&M and have fitz has vet backup and ditch geno

So it's okay for him to be a vet backups with MM but not for geno?  If we don't draft a QB high I suppose we can call up brunnel to be #3 and simms to be #2 to geno.

Every available metric, eye test, and Geno lolgif out there says you're wrong.

Fitzy blows donkeys mon

and if you think Fitzuh gets you a couple more of garbages to get you to 7-9 what is the point. You will have no shot to draft a good qb in 2016

Fitzy blows donkeys mon

and if you think Fitzuh gets you a couple more of garbages to get you to 7-9 what is the point. You will have no shot to draft a good qb in 2016

Because I think we're actually a playoff contender now.  This upcoming season.  I know, crazy right? 

I'm not concerned at all about our 2016 draft pick at the moment.  Every move we've made this offseason has been focused on improving for this year and 2016.  I don't anticipate Brandon Marshall or Darrelle Revis being Jets after the 2016 season.  So the goal should be to put the best possible product on the field next season.

Besides, LAST year we were all concerned about getting a good draft for a QB, before realizing the 2015 QB class sucks.  We have no idea if anyone in the 2016 class will be any good either.

Who's signed to be a backup this offseason? With the cap going up, while I don't doubt the numbers would go up, Fitz did just sign his current contract last year. Was it front-loaded in the first season?

I just don't see that there would have been much competition for his services as a potential starter. He may have made more money as a backup elsewhere, but if he wanted an opportunity to start, he really only had one option.

Of course, I wanted no part of him. That's the perspective I'm coming from.

I'm referring to backups and backup level starters signed or re-signed or traded for: McCown, Sanchez, Hoyer, Mallet (bet he got more than 1 year $3.25M), Cassel. 

Fitz's contract was 2 years $7M. We are on the hook for $3.25M this year if we keep him (which we most likely will). If we cut or re-trade him, for whatever reason, we owe nothing.

I don't think the team is looking to him as the QB of the future. We could do a lot worse than someone who will be a bridge between just Geno Smith and whoever we draft this year.

Archived