Jets trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick (All things Fitzpatrick in here)

Morrissey

He's likely to be the starting QB for the New York Jets. That's how it's the same thing. This post assumes that I just hated Pennington for his contract. We were locked in to not winning dick with Pennington for many years. While it's good we aren't held hostage by an albatross of a contract, we still aren't winning dick with Fitzpatrick. I want all the dicks

We all want the same thing man.  Maybe we'll take that Colorado State guy and he'll be a winner.  Maybe we should have drafted Jimmy Garoppolo.  But those things are independent of this signing.  We were always going to be looking forward to the day we got a real franchise QB in here whether we got Fitzpatrick or not.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what universe is anyone saying Fitzpatrick is the answer?  Do people actually think that those who are happy with this signing think our QB situation is fixed?  He's a f*ckin' stopgap.  It just happens to be the case that there's no Aaron Rodgers just sitting out there waiting to be signed/drafted at the moment. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  I need to get out and enjoy this weather.

8-0 maybe the guy is actually getting better at playing the game of football UNlike Sanchez and Smith have ever been able to prove. A guy who throws more than twice as many TDs as INTs and completes 63% of his passes with a 95+ QBR is more than a serviceable vet bro-that's the kind of numbers that can actually win in this league

He's likely to be the starting QB for the New York Jets. That's how it's the same thing. This post assumes that I just hated Pennington for his contract. We were locked in to not winning dick with Pennington for many years. While it's good we aren't held hostage by an albatross of a contract, we still aren't winning dick with Fitzpatrick. I want all the dicks

WHY is he likely to be the starting QB of the New York Jets?

Answer that question and you'll have the answer why this pickup isn't the tragedy you're making it out to be.

8-0 maybe the guy is actually getting better at playing the game of football UNlike Sanchez and Smith have ever been able to prove. A guy who throws more than twice as many TDs as INTs and completes 63% of his passes with a 95+ QBR is more than a serviceable vet bro-that's the kind of numbers that can actually win in this league

I agree.  His numbers have improved every year for the last 6 years.  Who says you can't continue to develop in your 30s?  He'll never be Peyton but maybe he can be a more ballsy version of Alex Smith (or a Carson Palmer who stays healthy) for a year or 2 and give us something to cheer about.

WHY is he likely to be the starting QB of the New York Jets?

Answer that question and you'll have the answer why this pickup isn't the tragedy you're making it out to be.

I really can't recall a time when an embattled young QB had a competition with a veteran that was handpicked by a new regime that didn't draft said embattled QB and the young guy actually won it. Fitz is a vet and a pro, albeit not a very good one. I would be surprised if he can't outpractice Geno, particularly when he is already intimately familiar with the offensive system.

I really can't recall a time when an embattled young QB had a competition with a veteran that was handpicked by a new regime that didn't draft said embattled QB and the young guy actually won it. Fitz is a vet and a pro, albeit not a very good one. I would be surprised if he can't outpractice Geno, particularly when he is already intimately familiar with the offensive system.

And there is half of your answer. The other half is they are likely going to draft someone but don't want to be pressured into starting him week 1 if he's not ready yet.

I agree.  His numbers have improved every year for the last 6 years.  Who says you can't continue to develop in your 30s?  He'll never be Peyton but maybe he can be a more ballsy version of Alex Smith (or a Carson Palmer who stays healthy) for a year or 2 and give us something to cheer about.

you see, that's why I like talking to guys like you, you can actually look at an equation and make a smart determination that is not some blanket statement like we have been getting from a lot of the new recruits. Sorry guys, just calling 'em like I see 'em.

I'm tired of watching Jets QBs getting worse than getting smarter and better like they are supposed to. Maybe having a guy with a head on his shoulders actually DOES matter in this game still-God I hope so. 

wait so now we blame our consistently poor QB play on Rex Ryan right? Couldn't have anything to do with the guys we were sending out there being so inexperienced as to need a stoplight red yellow and green chart to play the game and the next guy so bad that in the same season he has a 0.00 QBR one week and then the last game of the season the highest rating a guy can have?  Way too inconsistent for this Jets fan

Hello!! He is the coach right?  Why is he starting inexperienced guys to begin with?   Two years ago, he should have went with Sanchez but got him hurt playing in the 4th qtr of a meaningless preseason game.  Last year he could have opted to go with the more experienced Vick and chose not to.  Jeez, is this guy responsible for anything? 

Yeah, I don't like him.

His physical skillset limits what an offense can do.

Conversely, Geno's brain limits what an offense can do.  I'll take the guy with the smarts and limited skill set (Pennington) as an NFL QB over the guy with the athleticism and a pea brain every day.

Come back to us Bro!!! 

Hello!! He is the coach right?  Why is he starting inexperienced guys to begin with?   Two years ago, he should have went with Sanchez but got him hurt playing in the 4th qtr of a meaningless preseason game.  Last year he could have opted to go with the more experienced Vick and chose not to.  Jeez, is this guy responsible for anything? 

no Ryan fan here bro-but what I'm saying is the player has to make the plays and Jets QBs yes under Ryan got worse

And there is half of your answer. The other half is they are likely going to draft someone but don't want to be pressured into starting him week 1 if he's not ready yet.

I hope you're right. I was not in the Mariota camp at all before free agency began and now I find myself open to the idea.

Conversely, Geno's brain limits what an offense can do.  I'll take the guy with the smarts and limited skill set (Pennington) as an NFL QB over the guy with the athleticism and a pea brain every day.

He may look like Karl from Sling Blade's illegitimate son, but he's supposedly very intelligent.

In what universe is anyone saying Fitzpatrick is the answer?  Do people actually think that those who are happy with this signing think our QB situation is fixed?  He's a f*ckin' stopgap.  It just happens to be the case that there's no Aaron Rodgers just sitting out there waiting to be signed/drafted at the moment. 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  I need to get out and enjoy this weather.

This is my feeling as well.

Does Fitz improve the position, yes, IMO, he does.

Is Fitz a Franchise QB or longterm answer?  Of course not.

Fitz > Geno

We're still looking for Unknown > Fitz

Yes which means that the current Jets front office is light years ahead of what we have been subjected to in the last 6 years!

Last year, the orders were given by the GM to start Geno.

Significantly Better than 40th.  Fitz has been the QB for some pretty bad fellow franchises and still outperformed Geno Smith.

The truth of the matter is our front office and OC know exactly what Fitzpatrick brings to the table.  Gailey and McCagnan, in separate periods, have been directly involved with the guy since 2010.  So I'll trust their opinion on this until they give me reasons to distrust them. 

Which is the only reason we're signing him. If those coaches had been involved with equally sh*tty guys like Locker , Ponder , Mccoy that's who we'd be looking at as our backup.

And yes I know Locker retired ... 

wait so now we blame our consistently poor QB play on Rex Ryan right? Couldn't have anything to do with the guys we were sending out there being so inexperienced as to need a stoplight red yellow and green chart to play the game and the next guy so bad that in the same season he has a 0.00 QBR one week and then the last game of the season the highest rating a guy can have?  Way too inconsistent for this Jets fan

He certainly had a big hand in it for various reasons . Remember he was in the the draft room when both of those QB's were selected and he hired the OC's/QB coaches that failed to develop them . Finally , he was so concerned about supporting his Qb's he drafted defense 5 out of 6 years in the 1st round. 

Dan Marino scored a 12 on the wunderlich , guess he was too stupid to play QB. 

Marino scored 15 on the Wonderlic Test - not rocket science level - not idiot level either.

But I don't think Marino ever missed a team meeting on the west coast because he couldn't figure out what time it was - literally.

Fitzpatrick is getting paid less than any backup QB who's signed so far. I think people are losing sight of this. He is not some entrenched starter, and we're not locked in to anything. He doesn't even have to make it to September and it's still no big deal.

The only thing inexcusable would be if they didn't bring in a veteran no matter who they do or do not draft. He's started every season for several years in a row now. 

Smith may be better than he was, but at least we're not banking the season on it; the expectation with a move like this is that Smith will not see the field. If he turns his whole career around goody for us. But my God you can't bet on it happening. If he does, somehow, then Fitz is a more than adequate solution as backup. 

They should draft another one this year anyway (and don't wait until round 7 to pull that trigger). 

just so you know, this was stated perfectly. I just don't see how anyone could see this move in a negative light, considering the jets options out there. imo, this is the best case scenario and the draft is still to come. the front office might have their eyes set on the future there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMeDfYWRu8

And his kid is cute as a button after his dad throws 6 TD's in a game, too.

SAR I

That was a great video.

I don't understand why anyone thinks Geno is automatically starting, or the Fitz is only coming in when Geno sucks, which is as predictable as rain in April.

No one in the FO has any ties to Geno.  Mac didn't draft him and Bowles hasn't coached him.

Fitz is a stopgap until the Jets get a real QB.  Geno isn't one.

That was a great video.

I don't understand why anyone thinks Geno is automatically starting, or the Fitz is only coming in when Geno sucks, which is as predictable as rain in April.

No one in the FO has any ties to Geno.  Mac didn't draft him and Bowles hasn't coached him.

Fitz is a stopgap until the Jets get a real QB.  Geno isn't one.

No one in the FO has ties to Revis does that mean if we sign Cro he's the starter because he has ties to Bowles. 

People assuming Fitz is a slam dunk starter better hope he has a solid TC and preseason. 

so I just looked at his career.  yes, he has the flair for the gut wrenching TO, but overall getting a veteran with experience in the coaches system and more TD passes than INT's is the best you can do.  Luck isn't available, lol

his high for TD's in a season is 24, and over the last 20 years, the jets QB with the most TD's in a season is 28 by Vinny in '98

a lil perspective

so I just looked at his career.  yes, he has the flair for the gut wrenching TO, but overall getting a veteran with experience in the coaches system and more TD passes than INT's is the best you can do.  Luck isn't available, lol

his high for TD's in a season is 24, and over the last 20 years, the jets QB with the most TD's in a season is 28 by Vinny in '98

a lil perspective

A lil perspective the Jets have employed defenisve HC's for over a decade now !!!!!

No one in the FO has ties to Revis does that mean if we sign Cro he's the starter because he has ties to Bowles. 

People assuming Fitz is a slam dunk starter better hope he has a solid TC and preseason. 

The funny thing is that everything is the extreme.  People are saying Geno is the slam dunk starter and you're saying that people are saying that Fitz is the slam dunk starter.  Neither is the case.

As to the ties issue, the issue with Geno is completely different than Revis because this FO absolutely has ties to Revis in that they just signed him to a $70 million deal.  The point is that Idzik isn't here dictating that Geno start.  That was his pick.

Archived