Baldinger: "Jets defense has chance to be the best"

DaBallhawk

OK, whatever, fine, that does not make his playoff play HORRIBLE in either year. Can we stick to the topic please?

Sure.  If our defense were to exceed or match 2009-10 levels (an enormous if), can we win a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick?  I say no, but we definitely make the playoffs.  Maybe even host a playoff game.  Brady can't do this forever.

Sure.  If our defense were to exceed or match 2009-10 levels (an enormous if), can we win a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick?  I say no, but we definitely make the playoffs.

I would agree with that, but we had a lot of good luck in 09 and some in 10 as well. 

The 09 defense was fantastic, but the 10 defense, while statistically great, was not a great defense if you watched those games. I think this defense is a real pass rusher away from being better than either of those two.

Sure.  If our defense were to exceed or match 2009-10 levels (an enormous if), can we win a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick?  I say no, but we definitely make the playoffs.  Maybe even host a playoff game.  Brady can't do this forever.

if you can get to 2 AFC champ games with sanchez, it is possible to go to SB with Fitz. highly unlikely but possible.

I believe we are a edge rusher away (Fowler) from being dominant but either way we are going to be really good.

True, however the impact would barely show as it would more than likely be an over kill for a defense that's already elite.

Yay!!!!! More great D and terrible O!

Totally agree, it's time to place more resources into the offense especially in the draft. As for an edge rusher I fill we need to get younger. Yes an prominent prospect in the 1st would be great but to get one on day two while addressing our dreadful offense would be even better.

Sanchez is the biggest reason we didn't win a Super Bowl in 2009 or 2010.

Well that and two other issues:

1) The Jets could not at all stop Reshad Mendhall and Pittsburgh ran all over us.

2)  Indy matched up their 3rd Wr vs our 3rd Cb and just destroyed us.

Sanchez actually played okay in the playoffs, where he hurt us bad was in the reg season if you ask me.  The 9-7 team underacheived in the rg season, the 11-5 team as well.  Both of those teams had very legit chances to win the division and totally spit the bit at key times during the year,

The Jets probably aren't going to have the best defense in the league. There's no upside. People forget that packing your team with free agents lowers your ceiling while it raises your floor. Revis, especially first in the boat, sure, the juice is worth the squeeze. That makes you better all the way down the line and doesn't hinder your ability to build depth and add value with competition. Having Cromartie on top of two other corners (or David Harris at all) to fall back on like it's five years ago, while comforting, is limiting. The idea that guys like Dee Milliner or the rookie linebackers or whoever are just gonna get good now is an insane pipe dream. They aren't gonna play, and contrary to popular perception coaching up isn't really a thing. The amount of time they spend teaching technique as opposed to installing schemes is basically negligible and that goes double for guys who aren't playing.

Yeah but Bowles knows how to develop the way Rex never could!

The Jets probably aren't going to have the best defense in the league. There's no upside. People forget that packing your team with free agents lowers your ceiling while it raises your floor. Revis, especially first in the boat, sure, the juice is worth the squeeze. That makes you better all the way down the line and doesn't hinder your ability to build depth and add value with competition. Having Cromartie on top of two other corners (or David Harris at all) to fall back on like it's five years ago, while comforting, is limiting. The idea that guys like Dee Milliner or the rookie linebackers or whoever are just gonna get good now is an insane pipe dream. They aren't gonna play, and contrary to popular perception coaching up isn't really a thing. The amount of time they spend teaching technique as opposed to installing schemes is basically negligible and that goes double for guys who aren't playing.

My hope is that we just draft all offense and then this isn't a problem.

I love it how when someone is proven wrong with facts, they change the argument. You said they had HORRIBLE QB play in the playoffs during their deep playoff runs.

You were wrong, I don't miss Sanchez one bit, and Rex destroyed him to the point where he will never be a decent QB, but the guy was NOT HORRIBLE int he playoffs as you had originally said, Its virtually impossible to win 4 road playoff games with HORRIBLE QB play.

Show me where in my OP that I said he was horrible in the playoffs.  You can't, because I didn't. 

Well that and two other issues:

1) The Jets could not at all stop Reshad Mendhall and Pittsburgh ran all over us.

2)  Indy matched up their 3rd Wr vs our 3rd Cb and just destroyed us.

Sanchez actually played okay in the playoffs, where he hurt us bad was in the reg season if you ask me.  The 9-7 team underacheived in the rg season, the 11-5 team as well.  Both of those teams had very legit chances to win the division and totally spit the bit at key times during the year,

Couldn't stop him in the first half when Sanchez threw for 20-something yards.  Shut him down completely in the second half IIRC.

CB depth was a big problem during both AFCCG's and it was exposed. 

Bowles has the best defensive personnel the Jets have fielded in.....forever?

I'd say the new Jets D is slightly better than last year's Cards D in terms of talent.  Mo and Sheldon are better than any player on the Arizona d-line.  Revis is a slight upgrade from Patrick Peterson.  If Bowles can get out of Harris what he got from Larry Foote that'll be fine.  However, the Jets do not have a safety as good as Tyrann Mathieu.  However, Gilcrist and Pryor will be fine as long as Bowles lets them play to their strengths

I hope your Arkansas client talked about nothing except Razorbacks basketball.

I'm dreading tomorrow like I dread the Dentist, like Steve Martin from Little Shop of Horrors type Dentist.

He's from Florida, specifically Jacksonville.

In other words: he's clinically retarded.

Actually, I'm from your neck of the woods, Long Island...but yes, clinically.

I'd say the new Jets D is slightly better than last year's Cards D in terms of talent.  Mo and Sheldon are better than any player on the Arizona d-line.  Revis is a slight upgrade from Patrick Peterson.  If Bowles can get out of Harris what he got from Larry Foote that'll be fine.  However, the Jets do not have a safety as good as Tyrann Mathieu.  However, Gilcrist and Pryor will be fine as long as Bowles lets them play to their strengths

I agree with most of your statement except the bolded part.  Slight upgrade??? Revis has never had a down season like Peterson had last year, including the year he played for Tampa.  I think Peterson is good but he isn't slightly worse then Revis, they are in two completely different tiers of CB rating imo.

I know right? because the Jets give me so many reasons to be positive.

Ryan Fitzpatrick

He's really not that bad.

17 TDs, 8 ints. I'll take that any day over what we've had recently. Also the draft hasn't even happened yet.

This defense has potential to be the best of all time. I can't even believe the talent this defense has. It gives me a headache thinking about how great they're going to be. What else can I say? Todd Bowles is black Jesus and the Jets Defense will all go into the hall of fame.

Position to position

The 2015 Jets defense has WAY MORE talent than what they had in 2009-2010.

They didn't have one player on the defensive line (sans Jenkins who got hurt) that could hold our Dlines nut cup.

The 2015 Dline has 4 players that are in their ABSOLUTE PRIME YEARS, Coples, Sheldon, Wilk, Snacks!

All 4 have experience now.

We're slightly old with Harris, but Davis has gotten better every year.

The secondary should be the best we've ever had with Revis back, Cro who knows Bowles system, Skrine who's a upgrade from Wilson, and all of the depth at Safety!

We might not have a GREAT SAFETY but I'm sure Bowles can find someone out of this group to play as well as Leonard did in 2009.

Pryor, Jarett, Allen, Gilchrist.

I have faith in Bowles to figure out how to incorporate these guys.

I look at this defense & I imagine a OLB pass rusher like Fowler/Ray/Gregory/Ray and I wonder how an offense can have consistent success for 60 minutes? I don't see it.

Usually revamped defenses take some time to jell but our Dline & Harris/Davis are vets. Revis will just do what he does, Cro knows Bowles D, it's going to be the safeties that need to get up to speed quickly.

If, and I know this is a big if Milliner & McDougle make there way back as the season progresses, they will probably flat out nasty in the 2nd half of the season.

Win early games, and pull off a couple upsets, could be a fun run to the playoffs.

Agree the Jets have the potential to have a great Defense (great dline and secondary after FA) but Baldinger mocked Gurley to the Jets at 6 (with Cooper and Mariota still on the board) so not sure how much to value his opinion

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478881/article/georgias-todd-gurley-goes-to-jets-in-baldinger-mock-draft

Archived