SEAHAWKS WON'T GIVE RUSSELL WILSON $20 MILLION A YEAR -

jeaniec

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news, the Seahawks will give Wilson $20M a year. Of course they will, because they have to, just like the Ravens had to pay Flacco. He's young and he's won one already. Just like Brady and Ben and Eli were when people saying it's the system/running game/defense etc. about those guys. Then they all won again. The free agent market for Wilson would be ridiculous. He'd get $20M from half a dozen teams at least.

This.

And Jets fans that are too good for Wilson and dont want him near this team is one of the more amusing things I've seen in a while. 

I'm saying Wilson is not in the same category as Peyton.

your right Wilson is not a perennial playoff choker. So many reasons that SB throw at the goaline was ridiculous, least of which was Wilson.

Peyton Manning has the incredible stats he has because he throws the ball more than anyone so does Brady. A lot of their short throws amount to an extension of running the football. They play in well designed offenses with players who fit those schemes perfectly and are coached up to do so. Wilson is fully capable of bringing his team back and yes I have seen him turn it on and lead comebacks, he did it in both his first and second year in the playoffs. Wilson just so happens to be the perfect QB for the Jets because he can be a game manager, he has the capability to lead big comebacks and take a team on his shoulders. He can obviously make all the throws, he knows when to run the football and when not too, and he makes the fewest mistakes of any QB in the NFL. When you play with an elite Defense a great running game and possession WR's theres no need for the QB to be throwing the football all over the field you simply can't fault Wilson for that.

I don't want to take away from guys like Manning and Brady but sometimes in the playoffs they seem one dimensional and great defenses eat up one dimensional more often than not. Brady won all of his early SB's due too great defense and ball control offense he was not lighting it up early in his career he didn't start lighting it up until much later and that team with Moss that had the prolific offense got shut down... Why ? No fault of Brady they ran into a hot pass rushing defense and didn't have the players to run the football against the much smaller Giants defensive front. The Pats should have steam rolled the Giants and their game plan played right into the Giants hands.

I would be willing to bet if you inserted Wilson on any of those team run by Brady or Manning you would get similar results and not just by throwing the football especially the Pats who throw more 5 yard passes than any team in the league which is basically an extension of a bad running game.

Fact is Wilson fits our philosophy and that's all that really counts at that point stats mean nothing or Peyton Manning would have 10 SB's by now

Revis got his deal I don't think he would balk at throwing a few mill into the kitty to get a guy like Wilson. That would still keep at 14 mil and erase all the past bullsh*t he's been tagged with.

Not a chance.  He has his ring already.  He's not suddenly into philanthropy now that he's experienced the #PatriotWay.

You do remember how the Super Bowl ended? :winking0001:  I agree with you though, he's not going anywhere.

LOL...almost threw in a "or is he"? because of the SB but that was a brain fart.  Bevell made the worst play call in history and Carroll didn't step in.  He basically became Rex for .05 seconds....bad timing.

Revis got his deal I don't think he would balk at throwing a few mill into the kitty to get a guy like Wilson. That would still keep at 14 mil and erase all the past bullsh*t he's been tagged with.

What moron gives up $2M?  He might restructure, but he is not giving money back.  I love how everybody here throws these guys money away.  If that were the case, shouldn't Wilson and Sherman give money back to the kitty to keep the Seahawks together?

What moron gives up $2M?  He might restructure, but he is not giving money back.  I love how everybody here throws these guys money away.  If that were the case, shouldn't Wilson and Sherman give money back to the kitty to keep the Seahawks together?

Don't take it so literally I'm not sure how they would restructure I'm not a capologist .... I was making an example using real numbers as to what might be available. To be clear players have taken pay cuts to get teams more cap money to sign players if that's not giving up some cash to have a shot at a SB then explain to me exactly what it is ?

Yeah really. If Revis was willing to take less money to play with a much better QB he'd just have stayed in NE.

He's already got his ring, this contract represents the last major payday of his career (if not his life), but sure. He's going to give up millions of dollars to play with Russell Wilson for a better chance at being a part of something he's already been a part of. 

And of all the players who are going to willingly give up millions of dollars, surely the one player who comes to mind is Darrelle Revis. Lol.

It ain't that hard to be consistent when there's no pressure on you. Andrew Luck is under constant pressure in terms of having to score points, move the ball, getting his team back in the game, putting the team on his back, and of course being actually under pressure in terms of getting harrassed by defenders all day, getting hit and sacked all day. And he still performs. That's a great QB. That's an art. To make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

Russell Wilson doesn't have to go through any of that. He is a good QB but that's it. He's not special.

But that's the thing bro, there are not 15 guys in the league that are special.  There's maybe 5.  From there you have 2nd tier guys that are still consistently on the good half of the overall QB list year to year.  Those guys are going to get paid because there really are only 10 guys that consistently play to a respectable level.  Beyond that you have some guys that flash every now and again but overall they just don't cut it consistently.  Then you have the rest that generally just suck.  Teams are willing to pay those "good but not special" guys because frankly it's very difficult to find them.  Being realistic the odds of any QB that was drafted this year becoming consistently "good" is very low.  You just can't find these guys.  So when you have one, unfortunately you're going to pay through the nose to keep him. 

Don't take it so literally I'm not sure how they would restructure I'm not a capologist .... I was making an example using real numbers as to what might be available. To be clear players have taken pay cuts to get teams more cap money to sign players if that's not giving up some cash to have a shot at a SB then explain to me exactly what it is ?

And that sounds just like the thing Darrelle Revis would do.  Good call.

What you're citing as history is very, very rare. Someone like Brady might have done it because he's a national celebrity, and for the endorsement deals alone he could make more by taking a lower salary and having his team continue to contend (or "win"). Revis doesn't nearly have Brady's off-field marketability.  It would just be an expense that he would be footing himself.  Unless he suddenly suffered brain damage (and Uncle Sean as well, at the same time), you're not living on earth with the rest of us if you think this is even a remote possibility. He'd tell them to take it from someone else who isn't the team's most unique talent in the last 40+ years (if not ever).

If Revis was willing to give that up he'd have just stayed in NE. The Jets and Patriots weren't $2M/year apart in bidding for him, and NE clearly had a better shot at a repeat than the Jets getting there. It is nonsensical to think he'd give up anything, and since he already has a ring I can hardly blame him.

I actually think that they set up the Revis deal to be restructured.  His deal is all salary, but guaranteed.  That means that it costs, but the cap charge is pay as you go.  If they cut him the guarantees will accelerate and there would be like $40M in dead money if they cut him this year.  OTOH, it would be fairly simple to mark some of his guarantee bonus which would spread the charge over several years.  I am not sure if there are rules about restructuring when the deal is first signed, but I don't see any other problems.   Some players have given money back.  Most were likely to be cut otherwise.  Revis does not fall into that category.

After 5 years of Suckchez and GeNOPE Smith, I would be more than glad to sign Wilson for $20+ million. Hell, I'd give him $25 million and let him bang my gf while I watch if it meant getting him to NY.

Jet fans are hilarious. You have among the worst QB situations in the league for almost a decade, yet you won't ante up for an under-25 Pro Bowl QB who just went to two consecutive Super Bowls, losing out on a second due to the the worst playcall in sports history. Wilson would be leaps and bounds better than the garbage we've put under center in years past. And if you don't want to pony up the cash fine, there are at least 20 other teams in the NFL without franchise QBs who would pay $20 mil + in a nanosecond.

For those that question paying Russell Wilson $20m a year, I invite you to look through this list, especially the last 15 years. 

http://theredzone.org/DraftShowPosition.aspx?Position=QB

I won't list it out here for you, but to sum it up these are the guys that I think we can fairly consider consistent top 15 QB's:

Aaron Rogers

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Matt Stafford

Cam Newton

Andrew Luck

Russell Wilson

Drew Brees

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

Cutler???

Guys either were or are on the cusp:

Alex Smith

Colin Kaepernick

Pennington

Vick

Palmer

So in 15 years, there were 10-12 guys that you can say with some fair confidence that are consistently top 15 QB's.  I say 10-12 to leave room for argument (ie you don't want Cutler on that list, no problem).  There were 5 that were/are on that cusp. To put all that in context, there were just about 200 total QB's drafted in that timeframe. 

If this doesn't make you understand why you pay Russell Wilson I'm not sure it's even worth debating. 

But that's the thing bro, there are not 15 guys in the league that are special.  There's maybe 5.  From there you have 2nd tier guys that are still consistently on the good half of the overall QB list year to year.  Those guys are going to get paid because there really are only 10 guys that consistently play to a respectable level.  Beyond that you have some guys that flash every now and again but overall they just don't cut it consistently.  Then you have the rest that generally just suck.  Teams are willing to pay those "good but not special" guys because frankly it's very difficult to find them.  Being realistic the odds of any QB that was drafted this year becoming consistently "good" is very low.  You just can't find these guys.  So when you have one, unfortunately you're going to pay through the nose to keep him. 

There are tons of potentially good QB's in the league that suck with their current team right now. Jimmy Clausen looked like a stud last season. Granted it was just one start, but if the Seahawks had him and he does anything close to what he showed last season he could easily make the Pro Bowl. RG3 could be a stud in Seattle's offense. Heck, his backup (Cousins) could be a stud there as well. Heck, HIS backup (McCoy) could take the team to the playoffs. The Seahawks don't have to sign somebody who is already established, that's the guys you're looking at. They might as well pay Wilson in that case. I'm saying save around 17-18 mil. per year and get somebody like Clausen or Cousins or draft somebody and develop him for a few years until you can dump Wilson before you have to extend Wilson. With that extra cash you can make sure to keep the rest of the guys, the core together. The Seahawks will be fine, with or without Wilson. But if they lose guys like Sherman, Lynch, Chancellor, Okung, Wagner, Irvin...then Wilson is going to end up just like Sanchez. Or Cutler. He will make a ridiculous amount of money and you get nothing in return because he's gonna struggle bigtime because suddenly the team is on his back, and then you'll have to release him 1-2 years later, eat a ridiculous cap hit, you will have lost all your other studs as well and your team probably becomes a mess. I wouldn't mess with the formula they're using. The Ravens never did. Seattle will be way better off if they keep the core guys together and get rid of Wilson and replace him with another QB. I can't see how anybody would argue that point. You can't tell me the Seahawks would be better off the other way around. Paying Wilson, who is NOT elite, and let the other guys walk. Because then you'd need an elite QB to make it to the superbowl. Peyton, A-Rod, Luck. Wilson doesn't cut it, he's a game manager. If they could get Luck I'd pay Luck and let Sherman walk, maybe Wagner and Irvin or Chancellor as well. But not with Wilson. You have to keep those other guys around otherwise the team will fall apart.

There are tons of potentially good QB's in the league that suck with their current team right now. Jimmy Clausen looked like a stud last season. Granted it was just one start, but if the Seahawks had him and he does anything close to what he showed last season he could easily make the Pro Bowl. RG3 could be a stud in Seattle's offense. Heck, his backup (Cousins) could be a stud there as well. Heck, HIS backup (McCoy) could take the team to the playoffs. The Seahawks don't have to sign somebody who is already established, that's the guys you're looking at. They might as well pay Wilson in that case. I'm saying save around 17-18 mil. per year and get somebody like Clausen or Cousins or draft somebody and develop him for a few years until you can dump Wilson before you have to extend Wilson. With that extra cash you can make sure to keep the rest of the guys, the core together. The Seahawks will be fine, with or without Wilson. But if they lose guys like Sherman, Lynch, Chancellor, Okung, Wagner, Irvin...then Wilson is going to end up just like Sanchez. Or Cutler. He will make a ridiculous amount of money and you get nothing in return because he's gonna struggle bigtime because suddenly the team is on his back, and then you'll have to release him 1-2 years later, eat a ridiculous cap hit, you will have lost all your other studs as well and your team probably becomes a mess. I wouldn't mess with the formula they're using. The Ravens never did. Seattle will be way better off if they keep the core guys together and get rid of Wilson and replace him with another QB. I can't see how anybody would argue that point. You can't tell me the Seahawks would be better off the other way around. Paying Wilson, who is NOT elite, and let the other guys walk. Because then you'd need an elite QB to make it to the superbowl. Peyton, A-Rod, Luck. Wilson doesn't cut it, he's a game manager. If they could get Luck I'd pay Luck and let Sherman walk, maybe Wagner and Irvin or Chancellor as well. But not with Wilson. You have to keep those other guys around otherwise the team will fall apart.

Tell that to the legions of fans with Russell Wilson jerseys.

It's easy to make decisions like this in a vacuum.  But all decisions have repercussions.  There'd be rioting going on if the Seahawks let Wilson walk.  And that matters to a front office.  It stands to reason that Wilson will have even MORE leverage next season, as long as he stays healthy and has a top 10-12 season.  Tough spot for them to be in.

So rather than taking the bird in hand, you'd rather play the Matt Flynn, AJ Feeley, Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles, etc etc etc etc.... game using Jimmy Clauson as your "hey this guy had one great game let's pay him 8m a year instead and dump Wilson and save 12m"?  That's the route you are suggesting.  Guess what, other than the top 5 or so "Special/Elite" whatever you want to call them, every single QB in the NFL will suck with crappy talent around him.  Some will continue to suck even with good talent.  Russell Wilson has shown that with a great RB, great D, and decent receivers he can win.  He makes plays happen as well.  What you and I are discussing are the roughly 10 or so QB's on the planet that don't suck with decent talent around them.  Wilson has proved he's one of those guys. 

IMO-

What if we flip this around. Instead of putting wilson on a sh*tty team and asking him to win a sb (which nobody in the league can do--manning/brady/rodgers never win a Super Bowl if they were on Cleveland or JAX or so). (Funny enough how people are so quick to say manning is "elite" and then have to account for the mistakes he has made in the postseason. I like manning, but his record in PO sucks. And some of the losses are on him. manning on a sh*t team never wins a sb, just like wilson wouldnt.

Anyway, if we instead put wilson on a good team that did win a sb, i think wilson still puts them in a good chance, (nobody can guarantee wins), to win those sbs. Put Russell Wilson on the 01,02,04 pats...the ravens team that flacco won on, the New Orleans team when they won... I think, that if wilson is QBing those teams they still are in the sb.

In other words, its easy to say that Russell wouldn't be good if you took away his good team, but that applies to everyone. Its a team game. I consider him "elite" because i think that when you DO put him on a good team-he makes plays and doesn't f it up. And that makes him among the most valuable pieces in the NFL. This guy was amazing as a ROOKIE in the playoffs. He is in the league three years! And yet people say, well, he isn't manning. DUH!

So rather than taking the bird in hand, you'd rather play the Matt Flynn, AJ Feeley, Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles, etc etc etc etc.... game using Jimmy Clauson as your "hey this guy had one great game let's pay him 8m a year instead and dump Wilson and save 12m"?  That's the route you are suggesting.  Guess what, other than the top 5 or so "Special/Elite" whatever you want to call them, every single QB in the NFL will suck with crappy talent around him.  Some will continue to suck even with good talent.  Russell Wilson has shown that with a great RB, great D, and decent receivers he can win.  He makes plays happen as well.  What you and I are discussing are the roughly 10 or so QB's on the planet that don't suck with decent talent around them.  Wilson has proved he's one of those guys. 

No, the bird in the hand would be making sure the core stays together and letting Wilson walk. The risky choice would be allocating all your cap space into ONE player who hasn't proven to be a difference maker or somebody who can carry your team by himself. Again, if this was Luck I'd say pay him and let guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner walk. But not with Wilson. He's not Luck. He can't carry the team by himself.

That's a simple question and shows you're still wet behind the ears: Drew Bledsoe.

Everyone has a price and ANYONE is expendable in life.

Oh man, you got me on a technicality.

The only reason they traded Bedsoe was because they had Tom Brady who won a Superbowl.

Maybe I should have said, "name a team that got rid of a QB that went to a Super Bowl, that didn't have a Super Bowl winning Younger QB on the roster" lol.

The salary cap is increasing every year. Twenty million will be (already is?) the going rate for average starting quarterbacks in the NFL.

Respectfully, people who don't think Wilson should be getting that type of money don't know what they're watching. He's the smoothest quarterback in the league right now as a dual threat. I know it's cliche, but the guy is a leader, a winner, and knows how to make things happen.

For what it's worth, we heard the same exact criticisms about Brady early in his career (system player, carried by a strong team, etc.). Luck, Rodgers, and Wilson are the next generation Manning, Brees, and Brady. You'd have to be nuts not to take one of them.

The salary cap is increasing every year. Twenty million will be (already is?) the going rate for average starting quarterbacks in the NFL.

Respectfully, people who don't think Wilson should be getting that type of money don't know what they're watching. He's the smoothest quarterback in the league right now as a dual threat. I know it's cliche, but the guy is a leader, a winner, and knows how to make things happen.

For what it's worth, we heard the same exact criticisms about Brady early in his career (system player, carried by a strong team, etc.). Luck, Rodgers, and Wilson are the next generation Manning, Brees, and Brady. You'd have to be nuts not to take one of them.

He's also the first player in NFL history to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 in the same game. Who is his #1 WR again?

No, the bird in the hand would be making sure the core stays together and letting Wilson walk. The risky choice would be allocating all your cap space into ONE player who hasn't proven to be a difference maker or somebody who can carry your team by himself. Again, if this was Luck I'd say pay him and let guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner walk. But not with Wilson. He's not Luck. He can't carry the team by himself.

In the case of SEA, I believe Sherman is locked up.  Lynch is old, Wilson's contract has nothing to do with him.  Again, you can play find the cheap QB and pray while you wait for the next elite guy that comes once every 10 years (look at my list above) but then again one thing that has been proven without a shadow of a doubt is the only thing harder than finding an elite QB is winning a SB with a QB that is less than than 2nd teir of QB's, followed very closely by finding a 2nd tier QB in the first place. 

Oh man, you got me on a technicality.

The only reason they traded Bedsoe was because they had Tom Brady who won a Superbowl.

Maybe I should have said, "name a team that got rid of a QB that went to a Super Bowl, that didn't have a Super Bowl winning Younger QB on the roster" lol.

Hehehehe. :-) yup.

Jimmy ******* Clausen?  He started one game last year. If you think 2 TDs and 225 yards passing makes somebody a stud, I think your criteria for stud is pretty easy to meet.  That is saying something around here!  How did handing the starting job over to a backup "stud" work out for Tampa Bay?  The only other thing I took from your post is that you did not watch any Redskins games.  RGIII, Cousins and McCoy were all bad.  That is why they all played.  You'd be better off going with Derek Anderson and nobody in their right mind is advocating that. 

Jimmy ******* Clausen?  He started one game last year. If you think 2 TDs and 225 yards passing makes somebody a stud, I think your criteria for stud is pretty easy to meet.  That is saying something around here!  How did handing the starting job over to a backup "stud" work out for Tampa Bay?  The only other thing I took from your post is that you did not watch any Redskins games.  RGIII, Cousins and McCoy were all bad.  That is why they all played.  You'd be better off going with Derek Anderson and nobody in their right mind is advocating that. 

Watch Clausen play, watch the Redskins games, then we can talk again. I don't think you've seen either. Your logic why the Redskins QB's played is also flawed. They didn't all play because they all just happen to suck, they all played because they had nothing to work with, it was virtually impossible to win games with that team last season when you have the worst O-Line in football, TE's dropping passes, fumbling balls like crazy, a terrible defense and special teams that gave up bigplays and touchdowns. If you think Wilson would have looked any better then you have a lot more faith in the guy than anyone else would. By the way, I think RG3 and Cousins still finished with a 90 QB rating, despite all that. How awful.

Remember when i had issue with overpaying Cromartie and Harris. How i was flamed for that by pages and pages of posts by the Macgag gang, Fun times!

That's why as a PRINCIPLE you do not OVERPAY.

That's why teams who are consistently successful would rather let a player walk than OVERPAY him. Like the Pittsburgh Steelers did with Mike Wallace.

Archived