Source: IK Enemkpali was claimed by the #Bills. For real. #Rex

Gen X Jet

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/rex-ryan-swings-at-jets-and-misses-1.10734206

Rex Ryan swings at Jets and misses
August 12, 2015 9:51 PM

Rex Ryan went too far on this one.

Just a day after Ikemefuna Enemkpali smashed Geno Smith's jaw and knocked the Jets' quarterback out of the lineup for as many as 10 weeks, Ryan decided he'd be the one to give the Enemkpali a second chance.

Yup. Even though Enemkpali faces the likelihood of a multi-game suspension from the NFL for his vicious punch to his former teammate, Ryan offered his forgiveness by offering the linebacker a job. It's one more chance for Ryan to tweak his old team. And one more chance for Ryan to thumb his nose at conventional thinking by bringing in a player who, quite frankly, doesn't deserve to have a second chance so soon after blowing up the Jets' locker room with his fit of temper.

Ryan makes no secret about his bitterness at how his six-year run with the Jets ended last year, making that obvious during our conversation last week about his frustrations with former general manager John Idzik. But putting in a claim for Enemkpali sure feels like an unseemly attempt for Ryan to get back at his old team and now his divisional rival.

Apparently that feeling is shared by more than a few folks in Buffalo, because Ryan was described as defensive and restrained in discussing with reporters the move to claim Enemkpali.

"We all know what happened and things like that," Ryan said. "Obviously, it was a terrible thing that happened. But IK made a mistake, there's no question about that. But instead of listening to this person, that person or whatever -- we had IK last year [with the Jets]. A lot of us were around IK, and he was a good teammate."

But get this: Ryan acknowledged he had not spoken to Enemkpali about Tuesday's incident before convincing Bills general manager Doug Whaley and team owner Terry Pegula to put in the waiver claim.

Not a good look, especially in a league that has become increasingly sensitive to this kind of behavior. With NFL commissioner Roger Goodell showing little tolerance for such violent acts, Enemkpali can expect a significant suspension for slugging Smith. The league allowed the waiver claim to go through, but a review of his situation will soon begin and penalties are likely to follow.

"If we didn't think this young man or anybody else would be successful on the football field, in our locker room or in the community, he would not be here," Ryan said. "And I know I've said that before about other people, but I mean it."

Ryan obviously isn't afraid to sign controversial players, as evidenced by his move to hire former Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, who was suspended in 2013 for his role in the infamous "Bullygate" scandal with the Dolphins and went unsigned for the entire 2014 season. But Incognito paid his debt by missing a significant portion of his career, and his time away from the game led to some serious soul-searching and behavioral changes. Incognito told me last week that he now watches what he says and does in the locker room setting, and is more mindful of his role as a team leader.

But Enemkpali's troubles have only begun. His fight with Smith, which came after he and the quarterback got into a dispute about a $600 airfare reimbursement that Enemkpali wanted from the quarterback, wasn't his first anger-related incident. During his career at Louisiana Tech in 2011, he was arrested in an off-campus incident in which he was charged with disturbing the peace and battery of a police officer. He was suspended by the team, but reinstated before the season.

Now he gets another chance with another team after another violent incident.

"Everybody's got things," Ryan said. "But if I know that person, and I feel confident in the fact that my locker room, that this guy will be successful in here, then yeah, I feel confident that he'll fit right in."

It's a huge risk here for Ryan, one he didn't need to take, especially for a marginal player who had all of three tackles last season. Until now, he's had Buffalo fans eating up his larger-than-life personality and translating that adulation into record ticket sales.

But on this one, Rex missed the mark. No need to take a chance on a player like this, especially so soon after he punched his way out of Todd Bowles' locker room.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your kidding yourself if you believe what you just wrote. I am sure it isn't a daily occurrence, but I am sure it happens more than never

Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN 2m2 minutes ago Mangold said he's never seen a punch thrown in the locker room.

Mangold has only been in the Jets locker room, so perhaps it does happen in other locker rooms around the league, but it sounds as if it's not that often. Can't really fault Geno's jaw for breaking. All it tells us for sure is that IK has rage control issues. And I concede that it certainly could mean that Geno did or said something to really piss IK off. But IK is still a moron for doing it and was not justified in the slightest. The world doesn't work if everyone knocks each other the **** out whenever they get disrespected--no matter how good it may feel.

To clarify, I wasn't disputing that fights didn't happen (that point may not have been clear), just that punches weren't thrown as often as you appeared to suggest.

Can't wait for Jeanie to get here and explain to me how this is a smart decision by Whaley.  Unless of course, I'm right and Rex is really in control.

This was totally Rex's decision.  Our GM and Owner said they trust Rex.  And,  I'm very disappointed.  Not sitting very well here in Buffalo. 

Isn't anyone looking forward to Fitz's Jets debut tomorrow?

15_midi.jpg

#1 QB

Hoping this is the end of Geno as a Jets starting QB, start grooming Petty and move on from that clown who isn't equipped to manage a Kinkos, let alone lead grown men in an NFL locker room 

I feel bad, this is not going to end well for you jeaniec.

Don't understand why we would claim someone who in all likelihood is going to be suspended. Would we spend that kind of money to get a team's rival playbook? 

I feel bad, this is not going to end well for you jeaniec.

IK punching an obnoxious prick is somehow worse than half the guys in the NFL? Including our Pro Bowl DE who spends the off-season playing Speed Racer with a pistol, a blunt and a 12 year old in the car. If he can play nobody is going to care.

Hate to say it, but Rex probably already knows, through first hand experience, what a prick Geno is.  Mitigating circumstances in Rex's mind.  Figures he doesn't have that type of  a$$hole in his locker room, so all should be good.  Maybe.

You know what who gives a F**k. Let them have him. I know we had expectations for  IK but I  can give 2 sh**s what RexRyan and the Bills do from here on out. I will only care when we play them.

Only thing I care about is the Bills going 2-14 and gleefully watching the whole thing implode for Dreck Ryan.  I can't tell you how much I want MetLife to boo him from start to finish when they visit.

IK punching an obnoxious prick is somehow worse than half the guys in the NFL? Including our Pro Bowl DE who spends the off-season playing Speed Racer with a pistol, a blunt and a 12 year old in the car. If he can play nobody is going to care.

Geno isn't near the obnoxious prick you are. Does that mean someone will punch you out?

Geno isn't near the obnoxious prick you are. Does that mean someone will punch you out?

I'm not a professional quarterback, but if I did what he did I'd expect to get hit. Does it bother you I was right about both Geno being a dick and you being generally wrong about stuff? Maybe it takes a dick to know one, but I gotta pass out. I got a full day of treating people like sh*t, getting punched in the face and texting Josina Anderson my side of the story. I hope to hear from you though, nobody here responds to me anymore and I thought you gave up on me also. I was starting to feel like Geno

Its Rex. Not the entire league. but I can sympathize. Football isn't the same.

Sure, it's not everyone, there are a lot of good guys (more than bad guys) but it's not just Rex....Look at the owner of the Pats (an absolute disgrace to the league integrity) look at the way Tom Brady has handled his situation, the commissioner handling of Ray Rice, the countless domestic abuse cases...guys that can't stop smoking pot (even with millions of dollars on the line)

From top to bottom the league is entirely out of control.

Archived