Report: Jets looking to trade for a QB

jetscrazey

People who want Stafford and Brees would have to understand that you are waiving bye to Wilkerson. I have not seen enough of out Williams to think he can hold the fort with Sheldon. Also sheldon is one puff away from a year long suspension and will be suspended at the start of the next season for atleast 6 games.

Our D-line would go from Wilkerson Sheldon and Williams to just Williams to start next season. That scares the living bajesus out of me.

All for it. In fact, I'm all for Mo Wilk getting traded away now. What value does he have to this team? Run stuffers don't win championships in this Arena League.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

west coast game, daylight savings, just be thankful geno showed up on time for kickoff.  

In all seriousness, backup reps are not the same as starter reps in practice.  geno was ok yesterday, not good, not terrible.  

The raiders started off the game with 3 consecutive drives or > 75 yds for 3 TDs.   That was the issue, not geno.  If the jets lost 17-13 and geno was geno then this is a different discussion, yesterday was all on the D.  

I don't think you get what I'm saying.

The defense was horrible yesterday, and they deserve the majority of the blame for yesterday's loss.

With that said, we also got our first glimpse at Geno, and the stupid sh*t he does isn't the type of thing that goes away with "starter reps". For example: running backwards and taking a sack that makes it 3rd and 21 when you have several seconds to throw the ball out-of-bounds, in a situation where you have the time to put together a drive that makes it a one score deficit. 

It's quite possible for talk about why were got our asses kicked (the defense) and the reality of the QB situation simultaneously. The dialogue doesn't have to be forced in a direction where there just "one issue" that we can identify, and the rest just gets excuses or a blind-eye turned towards it.

Geno looked like more of the same. If he can get the ball to his first read, then great. If not, then it's just a debacle waiting to happen. We already knew this about him. Yesterday confirms it.

This 'trade for a QB' situation would seem that they might be looking for more than a short term hold the clip board kind of guy.  Glennon would be that type of player, one who could challenge.  As much as this name will make most people puke, RGIII is a guy that wash probably actively wants to dump.

All sorts of jag 2nd and 3rd stringers out there but you would not want to give up much to get them and may as well just get a Flynn type for now.

Austin Davis, charlie Whitehurst, aaron murray, kellen moore, colt mccoy, shaun hill, Matt Barkely  (ugh)

Did you miss the part where Geno may be out too?  How does trading for a QB mortgage the future given we don't know whether we'll need a QB moving forward anyway?  Petty has proven nothing other than he can throw the ball.

And have you really been a football fan for more than a week?  Who the hell thinks the season is over at 4-3 and with whats left to the season? 

You well know I've been a fan for many decades now.  30+ years of not missing a single game and counting.

The team I watched the last two weeks is not a playoff team, and the causes (soft exposed defense, poor coaching decisions and clock management, horrible QB play, a RB who can;t seem to get healthy again, injuries to both QB's now, etc) are not ones I believe will be solved by trading away the future (draft picks and young all-pro D-linemen)  to aquire a 2nd teamer like Glennon.  And he may be the best of whats actually available.

If the team decides to trade a 4th or 5th for Glennon, fine, low risk, a safe trade that does not sell off future years for a VERY uncertain present.  

If the team trades a #2 + a D-Lineman......for Glennon ffs.......we're Same Old Jets in my book.

And no, I'm feeling pretty confident today that this team will not win 10, and not make the postseason.  Not what I wanted, but is what it is.

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Colin Kaepernick's teammates want him benched so he can "clear his head."

Cole reports two 49ers texted him their desire to see Kaepernick benched after the offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in as many games against the Rams. Kaepernick threw for just 162 yards on 41 attempts against St. Louis, and he is averaging just 4.4 yards per attempt over his last two games. Kaepernick could probably use some time out of the limelight, but it is unlikely backup Blaine Gabbert would have any more success behind a bad offensive line and without any real playmakers. The good news is the 49ers are bad enough to get a shot at the top quarterbacks in next year's draft.

Kaep is worse than Geno.

Perhaps this means Geno Smith is more injured than we think. Fitz seems like a max 4 week injury.

Only QBs worth trading for are Glennon and Mettenberger in my opinion.  They must be desperate.  Do they consider Petty?

I don't think Geno is injured all that bad, but he is beyond stupid. You would think the guy never played football before. He takes unnecessary sacks when he could as Bill Walsh said, "Simply throw the ball away" but what does he do? He runs out of bounds WITH THE BALL for a six yard loss, then in almost the exact situation he takes a sack from Khalil Mack. Simply, the guy is just too dumb to be in the NFL. 

You well know I've been a fan for many decades now.  30+ years of not missing a single game and counting.

The team I watched the last two weeks is not a playoff team, and the causes (soft exposed defense, poor coaching decisions and clock management, horrible QB play, a RB who can;t seem to get healthy again, injuries to both QB's now, etc) are not ones I believe will be solved by trading away the future (draft picks and young all-pro D-linemen)  to aquire a 2nd teamer like Glennon.  And he may be the best of whats actually available.

If the team decides to trade a 4th or 5th for Glennon, fine, low risk, a safe trade that does not sell off future years for a VERY uncertain present.  

If the team trades a #2 + a D-Lineman......for Glennon ffs.......we're Same Old Jets in my book.

And no, I'm feeling pretty confident today that this team will not win 10, and not make the postseason.  Not what I wanted, but is what it is.

I'll never get the we're not a playoff team, which we don't know based on losing on the WC to an improved Oak on a bad day, so let's not try and improve. I'm not going through to complain that we lost to the SB champs, best team in the NFL today, on their field afte clearing in the 4th.  Not making a move because them inset is we're not good enough is the argument many used about the Mets at the trade deadline, thankfully fans aren't GMs

I'll never get the we're not a playoff team, which we don't know based on losing on the WC to an improved Oak on a bad day, so let's not try and improve. That's the argument many used about the Mets at the trade deadline, thankfully fans aren't GMs

Well, support your argument please.

Can you cite a few teams like us, in the 4-3 near .500 zone, who traded for a QB who has never played for/in the teams system, this far into a season, and that new QB then led the team to the Playoffs?

Evidence, say, that what you think will happen is not unprecedented.

Thanks.

Can you cite a few teams like us, in the 4-3 near .500 zone, who traded for a QB who has never played for/in the teams system, this far into a season, and that new QB then led the team to the Playoffs?

Evidence, say, that what you think will happen is not unprecedented.

Thanks.

Without doing your work for you, you think there's no need to improve the roster if it doesn't guarantee a playoff appearance this year? And trading a mid round pick dooms us down the road? 

If the FO doesn't think we have a QB who can get us there this or next season they're obligated to make a move

Without doing your work for you, you think there's no need to improve the roster if it doesn't guarantee a playoff appearance this year? And trading a mid round pick dooms us down the road? 

If the FO doesn't think we have a QB who can get us there this or next season they're obligated to make a move

First, it's not "my work", it's your argument.  If you cannot support it with examples of similar successes, simply say so.

Second, I've already said if a reasonable QB costs us only a 4th or less, make the trade.  Such a cost is acceptable.

Third, no, I don't think desperation-reeking mid-season is the time to "improve the roster".

Fourth, the FO may feel a move is warranted, both for now and the future, but they're far from "obligated" at this point of this specific season.  They're not 6-0 and just lost a QB, after all.

By the way, you were a massive Geno Smith fan this last off season Nut, what happened, suddenly you see your guy play and now he's not a shiny as you thought, so on to the next flavor of the second for you, eh?

Where the hell was the coach when all this was going on? Geno's dumb but I wonder if he was coached up at all about not taking a sack, getting out of bounds, etc. Really a pathetic showing all around with plenty of blame to share.  

Where the hell was the coach when all this was going on? Geno's dumb but I wonder if he was coached up at all about not taking a sack, getting out of bounds, etc. Really a pathetic showing all around with plenty of blame to share.  

It's the same type of thing he did the past 2 years. At some point, the only thing  you can blame on the coach is putting him back on the field.

First, it's not "my work", it's your argument.  If you cannot support it with examples of similar successes, simply say so.

Second, I've already said if a reasonable QB costs us only a 4th or less, make the trade.  Such a cost is acceptable.

Third, no, I don't think desperation-reeking mid-season is the time to "improve the roster".

Fourth, the FO may feel a move is warranted, both for now and the future, but they're far from "obligated" at this point of this specific season.  They're not 6-0 and just lost a QB, after all.

By the way, you were a massive Geno Smith fan this last off season Nut, what happened, suddenly you see your guy play and now he's not a shiny as you thought, so on to the next flavor of the second for you, eh?

I'm actually pretty interested in what you'd like to see as the solution WF.

would your best case scenario be 2016 TC have Petty handed the keys as long as he doesn't $h*t the bed?  Or are you thinking a 1st round pick next year for one of the name QB's being the guy? Or would you prefer trading a pick for a vet with a resume before 2016 TC ?

this has to be sarcasm

Many of you guys try too hard. This is a very simple situation. 

1- Our Number 1 QB is out. 

2- We are 4-3 and battling for a playoff spot

3- Our backup QB is a bit of a dunce and is prone to injury (due to running)

4- Our 3rd string QB is obviously not ready to lead a team to the playoffs

Geno is a moron, but he can win games with this team. But we also saw what happened to a really good team last year that lost their Starting QB and average backup QB. The Arizona Cardinals. If the Cards had gone out and procured a solid backup,  backup QB they may have beaten the Panthers. Maccagnan is making sure that doesn't happen to us.  

This isn't an indictment on Fitz or Geno, its simple due diligence and proper front office work. Whether we end up with a Glennon (who turns out to be our Qb of the future) or we end up with Weeden (God help us), the reason for the move will be the same. DEPTH!

At some point the players need to  be responsible for knowing whether to take a sack or not. The coaching staff has a million things to worry about (play calling etc) they can't prepare Geno for every possible scenario as it comes up. In the end, Geno is what Geno is. A fairly talented QB that can be good enough to win some games but also dumb enough to make you realize he isn't a franchise QB. 

Gannon would be a good pick up only if they think he can be the qb after fitz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The way he runs his mouth commentating during games, I wouldn't mind seeing him getting a little of the on field treatment Geno got.

I'm actually pretty interested in what you'd like to see as the solution WF.

would your best case scenario be 2016 TC have Petty handed the keys as long as he doesn't $h*t the bed?  Or are you thinking a 1st round pick next year for one of the name QB's being the guy? Or would you prefer trading a pick for a vet with a resume before 2016 TC ?

Depends on how this year plays out, really.

If we're drafting say, 15th, then Drafting a top-prospect QB in the first is likely out.

If Petty does as expected, and shows development but needs another year of seasoning, he's not (and shouldn't) start.

Fitz is a one-year rental, most likely.

Geno will be cut in 2016.

So we definitely have a need at QB, no doubt.

IMO, trading the farm for an elite prospect is not realistic, so what I would do is:

1. Retain Fitz, #1 QB to start 2016

2. Promote Petty to #2

3. Draft a QB to drive/compete with Petty somewhere in the 2nd thru 4th, depending on prospects/availability.

4. Cut Geno.

See how 2016 plays out.  If both Petty and the Rook are just not panning out.....whelp, by that point Bowles will be in trouble, and yet another rebuild may be inbound, it may be time to sell everything on D to get a shot at a Franchise QB, I suppose, although I just lack faith that this franchise can choose such a guy correctly.

Depends on how this year plays out, really.

If we're drafting say, 15th, then Drafting a top-prospect QB in the first is likely out.

If Petty does as expected, and shows development but needs another year of seasoning, he's not (and shouldn't) start.

Fitz is a one-year rental, most likely.

Geno will be cut in 2016.

So we definitely have a need at QB, no doubt.

IMO, trading the farm for an elite prospect is not realistic, so what I would do is:

1. Retain Fitz, #1 QB to start 2016

2. Promote Petty to #2

3. Draft a QB to drive/compete with Petty somewhere in the 2nd thru 4th, depending on prospects/availability.

4. Cut Geno.

See how 2016 plays out.  If both Petty and the Rook are just not panning out.....whelp, by that point Bowles will be in trouble, and yet another rebuild may be inbound, it may be time to sell everything on D to get a shot at a Franchise QB, I suppose, although I just lack faith that this franchise can choose such a guy correctly.

Considering that it is a crapshoot, its not all about the staff. I remember the knock against Carr was the fact that he got shellacked in his bowl game against USC and people thought the soft competition in the MW,was the reason for his success

First of all, there's no requirement that we trade for a QB, in fact it seems to me unlikely that we do so.  Or maybe we'll trade a very late pick - which you say wouldn't be a big deal.

And secondly, it shouldn't be too hard to find teams that are 4-3 and currently in a wildcard spot that end up making the playoffs.  You made the unqualified statement that our season is over.  Over-react much?  Do you really think that teams that are currently the #6 seed after 7 weeks have no chance of making the playoffs?? 

Bears would probably drive Cutler to NY for us, but it's more than likely Brandon Weeden, who is pissed off and expendable with Romo coming back in two weeks.

I thought of that one as well, but the whole reason we have Marshall in the first place is because those 2 can't be on the same team.

Pretty sure those 2 are good friends. 

This is news to me. My understanding is they knew they were stuck with Cutler and the situation with them was untenable, so they let Marshall go for next to nothing.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/brandon-marshall-says-he-and-jay-cutler-didn-t-have-the-best-relationship-1.10714834

"I felt like I was the only one in the organization that had the [guts] to hold him accountable," said Marshall, who added that he and Cutler "didn't talk during the year much and we still haven't talked.

Who f*cking cares? Whoever we get is gonna be a scrub. If Geno can play he'll start & we just have to roll with it. If Fitz ever starts for this team again this year Geno is DONE in NY. 3rd year, you get another chance & lose out to an 11 year vet on his 7th team you pack your bags & head home.

Who f*cking cares? Whoever we get is gonna be a scrub. If Geno can play he'll start & we just have to roll with it. If Fitz ever starts for this team again this year Geno is DONE in NY. 3rd year, you get another chance & lose out to an 11 year vet on his 7th team you back your bags & head home.

I care we are 4-3 the season is far from over we still have a chance have you seen the injury reports from around the NFL every team is hurting. 

These names being bandied about are absurd..  Weeden and Mettenberger, besides both being worse than Geno, are their teams only viable backups at the moment.  Why the hell would they trade them?

Even more ludicrous is the notion we can pry away Glennon from the Bucs for a bag of beans.  I watched about 10 minutes of the Bucs game yesterday and Winston finished a run off by lowering his shoulder (like stupid, idiot, moron, Geno), and also played the role of fullback when he handed off to Doug Martin on another.  Why in the hell would the Bucs trade their promising young back up who could very likely see the field and knows their system for a Jets conditional 6th rounder..  And why would we want him?  It would take him a month to learn the system and he'd just be sitting behind Geno anyway.

If the Jets do trade for a QB it's going to be some teams 3rd stringer who has some live game experience to back Geno up.  These fairy tales about getting some insta-starter on the dawn of the trade deadline are embarassing.

If Marshall and cutler hate each other then that is probably for sure no go but just QB wise I'd take cutler in a heartbeat, I don't care if he's an ahole.

(As an aside I have to laugh a bit about the people berating Brees and saying he was done in some of our earlier Qb threads a few weeks back.)

Archived