Todd Bowles says Jets had some 'loafs' on defense

Jetfan13

After two of his veteran defensive leaders criticized their unit's effort in Sunday's 34-20 loss at the Raiders, Jets coach Todd Bowles on Wednesday said some of his players were indeed loafing in the game, Darryl Slater of the Newark Star-Ledger reports. 

Bowles didn't like what he saw on film, but he also said he doesn't view the defense's loafing as a major, lingering issue.

Missed tackles were a huge problem for the Jets on Sunday. They directly led to two touchdowns. Pro Football Focus recorded 19 missed tackles for the Jets. Bowles does his own grading of the film. His number was in the 20s. That is, by far, a season high for the Jets' defense. 

That's an absurdly high number, but Bowles said he's coached games, as a defensive coordinator, in which his team missed about that many tackles. 

"You have those games every now and then where nothing went right," he said. "Nothing went right."

Bowles and his coaches on Wednesday emphasized tackling drills, technique, and effort to a greater degree in practice. The Jets wore shoulder pads at Wednesday's practice and "wrapped up more" to work on tackling, Bowles said. 

"It's effort, it's technique, it's fundamentals, and it's want-to," he said. "We watched the film and we corrected everything. We're not going to have full live periods [with tackling in practice]. But we can wrap up and we can take better angles. We can hustle to the ball."

Bowles said this sort of emphasis, after a poor tackling game, has generally paid off in the past. 

"Guys know how to tackle," he said. "We just have to get more hats to the ball if we miss a tackle. We have to tackle better, no doubt about it, but we have to gang tackle. That solves a lot of problems."

Since the game, linebacker David Harris and defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson hammered the defense's effort in Oakland. Wilkerson said players were "loafing." That's troubling to hear. On Wednesday, Bowles said that, yes, for the first time this season, the Jets loafed on defense. 

"They were minor loafs, but they were still loafs nonetheless," he said. "We've got to have everybody to the ball. Our guys don't normally loaf, and it shouldn't happen anymore."

In some weird way this horrible looking loss could actually be a blessing in disguise.   A nice wake up call for this team, particularly the defense.   The offense should be motivated that Fitz Magic is starting with an injury.    I hope this is true and we never look so lethargic on the field.  

Well, as long as they were only "minor loafs" <_<

I watched the PC and it reads way worse than the reality..  it was the 4th question in a row about loafing and it was obvious they were trying to get him to say something inflammatory.  He finally said something to the effect of "guys..  it's not like we were out there not trying..  it was a couple minor loafs ie not gang tackling or finishing out the play"...  he was just getting tired of answering the same question and knew what they were trying to do.

In some weird way this horrible looking loss could actually be a blessing in disguise.   A nice wake up call for this team, particularly the defense.   The offense should be motivated that Fitz Magic is starting with an injury.    I hope this is true and we never look so lethargic on the field.  

I considered this too... hope you're right!

This is basically them talking about Cro and how awful he was. At least Marcus Williams was trying to make tackles, he's just not very good at it. 

I beg to differ. They both did the same thing. Acted like they were playing touch football and refused to sacrifice their bodies for a real tackle. Williams was even worse that Cro. Just completely "pansy." I couldn't believe my eyes, frankly.

Did anyone see that play, I believe it was third and 15 sometime in the third quarter, and Carr threw a ball up about 20 yards to a stationary receiver midfield. Marcus Williams was the closest guy to him, he was open, but the ball kind of hung up there so he had time to get to the receiver, and while the receiver was in the air, MWill went for his legs when he could have at least tried to knock the ball down, or out of his hands. The receiver caught it, and my goodness it was ugly, but thank god he (likely) won't be asked to play safety again. 

I don't like this at all. Loafing is akin to not caring and that CANNOT be tolerated in any measure. Would Bill Belichick - the man against who ALL coaches are measured now - come out and say that. No. Why? Because those loafers wouldn't be on HIS team. If the Jets are EVER going to catch the Patriots then nothing less than perfection can be accepted. Like Vince Lombardi said, "We are in perpetual pursuit of perfection. We won't catch it because no one is perfect but along the way we will capture excellence." That is the standard I want the Jets to play to, but until we get a HC who doesn't make excuses for these "loafers" we will never get there.

I watched the PC and it reads way worse than the reality..  it was the 4th question in a row about loafing and it was obvious they were trying to get him to say something inflammatory.  He finally said something to the effect of "guys..  it's not like we were out there not trying..  it was a couple minor loafs ie not gang tackling or finishing out the play"...  he was just getting tired of answering the same question and knew what they were trying to do.

They were trying to do their job which is what Bowles should be doing. He should condemn "loafing" not poo pooh it. More importantly he needs to DO something about it. As Jets fans we have ALL seen them have games like this on too many occasions and I am so f-ing sick of these soon to be ex-coaches doing exactly what Bowles did and said. That type of bull crap play would never be tolerated on a franchise like the Patriots. If the Jets ever want to catch the Pats then accepting nothing less than their best on every play has to be their motto. JUST DO YOUR JOB.

To show up flat is one thing.  This defense tried to avoid contact in a football game.  I turned my head in disgust.

Jets players think we don't know the difference between real effort and WWE effort. I do, and I have been seething about it all week. THAT kind of play is the culture the Jets have to rid themselves of. I know it is difficult to lose your QB early in the game, but the defensive "leaders" whoever they are, needed to address the team and say, "It's on us now." but they did nothing of the sort.

This is basically them talking about Cro and how awful he was. At least Marcus Williams was trying to make tackles, he's just not very good at it. 

Williams is actually a good tackler not sure what he was doing this past week but the one glaring miss is probably magnified much more than it needs to be , It was a bad play, poor tackling and it should not be attributed to his entire game. He has also tackled very well so lets not blow this out of proportion sometimes players get faked out

Williams is actually a good tackler not sure what he was doing this past week but the one glaring miss is probably magnified much more than it needs to be , It was a bad play, poor tackling and it should not be attributed to his entire game. He has also tackled very well so lets not blow this out of proportion sometimes players get faked out

He missed 6 tackles. Tackling at CB and tackling at S are two different animals, I'll give him that. But tackling is tackling and he looked awful doing it. 

I thought the Dline looked soft, gave up a lot of ground. Seemed like they targeted Williams. The secondary... I just can't go on. What a let down and embarrassment. I was expecting a battle and what I saw was no heart, no guts and no leadership. For a couple hours I irrationally thought "tear this mf'er down, rebuild". Doubts have begun creeping in about  Bowles. Let's see what happens this week. They better play like a Jet!

Bowles put the lineup out there. He chose Marcus after Pryor couldn't play & he got burned. Why couldnt Rontez play? 

Hey Todd, let us tell you how every year plays out in NY Jet land. The defense starts believing they are better than they are because the national media starts stroking them. Happens every year when they start getting accolades as one of the best defenses in the league. Hell, the Patriots defense has played better overall. They have more sacks, they give up less 3rd & longs, they play better situational football.

When's the last time you saw the Patriots give up a 3rd & 17 in a critical spot?

Bowles put the lineup out there. He chose Marcus after Pryor couldn't play & he got burned. Why couldnt Rontez play? 

Hey Todd, let us tell you how every year plays out in NY Jet land. The defense starts believing they are better than they are because the national media starts stroking them. Happens every year when they start getting accolades as one of the best defenses in the league. Hell, the Patriots defense has played better overall. They have more sacks, they give up less 3rd & longs, they play better situational football.

When's the last time you saw the Patriots give up a 3rd & 17 in a critical spot?

Rontez Miles is not even on the roster.  Practice squad player are not eligible to suit up on Sunday.   They are probably carrying too many DBs to add another, especially when they are so dinged with Mangold unable to play and at WR and RB.

I thought the Dline looked soft, gave up a lot of ground. Seemed like they targeted Williams. The secondary... I just can't go on. What a let down and embarrassment. I was expecting a battle and what I saw was no heart, no guts and no leadership. For a couple hours I irrationally thought "tear this mf'er down, rebuild". Doubts have begun creeping in about  Bowles. Let's see what happens this week. They better play like a Jet!

The DL has been a real letdown compared to their hype. Not that they've been terrible all season, because they certainly haven't been, but they're barely getting near the QB even with all the blitzing help.

They looked like a collective group of one-dimensional run-stuffers -- who had trouble stopping the run, no less. Like it would take 8 seconds for them to generate a coverage sack.

The DL has been a real letdown compared to their hype. Not that they've been terrible all season, because they certainly haven't been, but they're barely getting near the QB even with all the blitzing help.

They looked like a collective group of one-dimensional run-stuffers -- who had trouble stopping the run, no less. Like it would take 8 seconds for them to generate a coverage sack.

Yes, we are still searching for a replacement for John Abraham.

I wonder if Greg Hardy is looking as bad as he did a few months ago.

We have too many DTs. Holding is RAMPANT on the inside this year! Did you see last nights game? A Bengal Olineman was arm barring a Browns defender that got past him right in the middle of the field & stayed on him like that the whole play. I was shocked that the commentators said nothing. This is an NFL mandate, they don't want QBs hurt, especially QBs of 7-0 teams. You saw in the Raider game the NFL could give two sh*ts about Geno, no call on a freaking spearing, on another play when tackled he was spun to the ground in a WWF throwdown. Those plays are yellow flags 100% of the time vs Brady, Rogers, Manning. 

Denvers defense is much better, plus the refs have no control over Von Miller or Ware smoking past a tackle & crunching a QB. Plus holds on the edge are too obvious to not call. Again, you need speed at LB to overcome this new NFL. Pats have Collins, Hightower, and Chandler Jones (I know he's not a LB, but he's a true DE). We have Pace, Harris, Davis (see the difference?).

Bowles has no true pass rushers. He's working with one arm tied behind his back if Mauldin or Reilly can't step it up.

We have too many DTs. Holding is RAMPANT on the inside this year! Did you see last nights game? A Bengal Olineman was arm barring a Browns defender that got past him right in the middle of the field & stayed on him like that the whole play. I was shocked that the commentators said nothing. This is an NFL mandate, they don't want QBs hurt, especially QBs of 7-0 teams. You saw in the Raider game the NFL could give two sh*ts about Geno, no call on a freaking spearing, on another play when tackled he was spun to the ground in a WWF throwdown. Those plays are yellow flags 100% of the time vs Brady, Rogers, Manning. 

Denvers defense is much better, plus the refs have no control over Von Miller or Ware smoking past a tackle & crunching a QB. Plus holds on the edge are too obvious to not call. Again, you need speed at LB to overcome this new NFL. Pats have Collins, Hightower, and Chandler Jones (I know he's not a LB, but he's a true DE). We have Pace, Harris, Davis (see the difference?).

Bowles has no true pass rushers. He's working with one arm tied behind his back if Mauldin or Reilly can't step it up.

Agreed with the horrible lack of holding calls - particulary in the NE game which was just disgusting. However I don't accept it as a given that our personnel are so incapable of getting to the QB simply because we aren't getting to them under Bowles. Just because he's not getting it out of the defense doesn't therefore mean the defense wouldn't otherwise be capable. While blitzing less, we were sacking the QB 3x a game just last season without the current trio of legitimate, starting CBs to aid in coverage sacks (and without another new "best player in the draft" toy for the DL). 

For all my past (justified) past criticism of Harris and his lack of speed, he's usually been a pretty decent pass rusher when blitzing, and he definitely looks faster this year than he has in years. Davis stinks, but speed isn't his problem. He's plenty fast. Coples also isn't a sloth; he was a sub-4.7 40 guy back when he was north of 280 lbs; he should only be faster now, playing at 15-20 lbs lighter. He's having a terrible season and/or Bowles just wants him off the field. Reilly also can move enough to be an effective situational pass rusher. Further, they have better inside penetrators than most to boot. The lack of speed excuse is just that. 

Some disgusting non-calls aside, there isn't some new league mandate to allow holding, that suddenly started this season.

Archived