~ ~ Jets have NFL's TOP-ranked red-zone offense.. how'd that happen ? ? ?

kelly

— Fans might have noticed a bit of a difference in the Jets' ability to score touchdowns in the red zone this season.

After being last in the league in red zone efficiency a year ago—and after ranking no higher than 25th the previous three seasons—the Jets are first this year when their offense has the ball inside their opponents' 20-yard line, with a success rate of 73 percent.Several factors account for that big improvement, not the least being that the Jets and first-year head coach Todd Bowles made red zone the offense's priority No. 1 during the offseason program.

"Well, I think the biggest thing is, Coach Bowles had us start working on that from almost the third day we got here," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said."We started practicing red zone right off the top, before anything else," Bowles said.

Bowles said two of his coaching mentors, Bruce Arians and Bill Parcells, had always emphasized red zone.But the addition of wideout Brandon Marshall has also helped. Marshall, with his combination of size and excellent body control, has perfectly complemented a precise route runner like wideout Eric Decker.And the short field the red zone provides is an ideal fit for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's quick-read skill set. Throw in a hard-charging running back like Chris Ivory, and the Jets have all the right skill pieces to succeed in the red zone. And they've adjusted their scheme to fit that personnel.

Ironically, the Jets' losses to the Patriots and Bills this season resulted in part because of red-zone failures. But on the whole, their red-zone numbers really are eye-popping, per Pro Football Reference :

• Fitzpatrick has 16 touchdowns and zero interceptions, including nine TDs with zero picks inside the 10.

Decker has nine catches (on 17 targets), including seven for touchdowns.

• Marshall has seven receptions (on 15 targets), including six for touchdowns.

• Ivory has 34 carries for 86 yards and six rushing touchdowns.

The Jets had Ivory and Decker last year, when the offense converted on just 36.2 percent of its red-zone chances. They traded for Marshall and Fitzpatrick in the offseason.But their play-calling also relies on sticking with what works by feeding Ivory, Decker, and Marshall the ball inside the 20. Ivory, who missed one game and was slowed in another because of injuries, has gotten the ball on 68 percent of their red-zone rushing attempts, while Decker and Marshall have combined for 62.7 of all red-zone targets.Contrast that with last year, when former offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's play-calling frequently got too cute. Mornhinweg often had the Jets use the Wildcat package in the red zone, at least when he wasn't trying to shoehorn Michael Vick into the scheme or to use some other razzle-dazzle play-call or personnel grouping the Jets typically didn't utilize. Also, according to Pro Football Reference, Ivory got the ball last year on just 47.8 percent of the Jets' red-zone rushing attempts, which is all sorts of amazing.

Marshall has been the big difference-maker, though.

"He understand leverage," Gailey said. "There's not everybody that understands leverage. He knows how to body position versus certain leverages that allow him to make plays in the red zone." He's just hard to handle, size-wise. He can run; he's not a burner, but he can run well enough that you just can't sit there and play a certain leverage on him and win. He can figure out how to win with enough speed to get that done. You combine the speed and size and ball skills, it's a pretty good combination."All of that allows Marshall to be a red-zone asset even when he's not being targeted. As has been noted quite a bit this season, Marshall frequently draws double teams, which, in turn, frees up Decker or Ivory to make plays.

"I think it goes back," Gailey said, "to the time we spent [on it] from day one."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/12/why_jets_offense_is_so_successful_in_red_zone_this.html#incart_river_index

It's because of 3 things:

1) Brandon Marshall

2) Decker getting mismatches in the slot vs. lesser DBs

3) Fitz having the intelligence to get the ball to them

4) We have played a lot of really craptastic teams this year.  Haven't beaten enough of them, but it does help the stats.

If it's all Marshall, one would deduce that just about any team he were on would be tops in the red zone, leaving his availability for a fifth rounder a ridiculous stroke of fortune for the Jets.

There are a lot of big WR in the NFL.

I'm not arguing, he is a BIG part of why the Jets are so good in the red zone.  Decker also seems to always get open down there, and I think the coaching needs a big pat on the back as well.

There are a lot of big WR in the NFL.

I'm not arguing, he is a BIG part of why the Jets are so good in the red zone.  Decker also seems to always get open down there, and I think the coaching needs a big pat on the back as well.

Amen. The Jets have played far from perfect football, but their red zone prowess is the biggest factor in the team having a winning record to this point.

Does anyone even know what these things mean. It's line QB Rating.  It's a stat geek type thing where we don't know or understand what goes into it and why.  That's why Rex was able to brag about his wonderful "top 5 or 10 rated" defenses when they weren't even all that great. 

Does anyone even know what these things mean. It's line QB Rating.  It's a stat geek type thing where we don't know or understand what goes into it and why.  That's why Rex was able to brag about his wonderful "top 5 or 10 rated" defenses when they weren't even all that great. 

I'm pretty sure that when you 're down near the end zone and you score TD's instead of field goals and not turn the ball over, it's a good thing.

I don't see the tie in.  The red zone numbers are really good.  The team also looks really good when they get to the red zone.  Easily pass the eye test.  Why would anyone say this offense hasn't been good in the red zone and imply that it's just a numbers thing? 

I don't see the tie in.  The red zone numbers are really good.  The team also looks really good when they get to the red zone.  Easily pass the eye test.  Why would anyone say this offense hasn't been good in the red zone and imply that it's just a numbers thing? 

I'm not saying they haven't been good, but #1 overall?  If someone made you the bet below, would you choose the Jets?

==========================================

You're at the 20 yard line.  You can choose any offense in football that you'd like but they'd have to score a touchdown.  If they do, I'll give you a million dollars.

I'm not saying they haven't been good, but #1 overall?  If someone made you the bet below, would you choose the Jets?

You're at the 20 yard line.  You can choose any offense in football that you'd like but they'd have to score a touchdown.  If they do, I'll give you a million dollars.

If any of us took the bet we'd win.

And as much as you wouldnt have take the Jets in your scenario before the season, it wouldnt be a bad choice.  Would they be my first pick?  Having to score is different than most efficient offense at times, would have to look deep to pick us.  Doesnt change that we're number one and certainly doesnt change that were in top 

4) We have played a lot of really craptastic teams this year.  Haven't beaten enough of them, but it does help the stats.

Other than all teams play a lot of crapastic team every year and that so do we every year you might have a point

If any of us took the bet we'd win.

And as much as you wouldnt have take the Jets in your scenario before the season, it wouldnt be a bad choice.  Would they be my first pick?  Having to score is different than most efficient offense at times, would have to look deep to pick us.  Doesnt change that we're number one and certainly doesnt change that were in top 

How do you figure (unless you mean "you'd be risking nothing so you only have upside")?

Other than all teams play a lot of crapastic team every year and that so do we every year you might have a point

Except that the Jets actually have had an unusual year and I do have a point.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

We've played the bottom two, Miami at 21 twice, Indy at 25, and not a single team in the top 10.  That's statistically significant.  See, I can science the hell out of this :)

lol, no. Its all brandon. He is a force and frees up single on decker 

You may have just passed nyjunc on the all pro i know nothing about qb's team.  Your clinging to Geno like grim death in the only way possible, by pooping on the real starter who has played really well overall this year for what he is reeks of desperation and geno sweat.  Genesperation.....there I made a new word,

You may have just passed nyjunc on the all pro i know nothing about qb's team.  Your clinging to Geno like grim death in the only way possible, by pooping on the real starter who has played really well overall this year for what he is reeks of desperation and geno sweat.  Genesperation.....there I made a new word,

Whatever dude. Have fun with your Fitz shrine. I never mentioned Geno but you have to go there. Once again whether or not Fitz is better than Geno does not in itself mean he is playing well which he is not. He had a good game last week I have stated that. But it is you who does not understand QBs if you think he is actually playing well.using this useless stat. We were #2 in the NFL in 2011 under Sanchez and no one thinks he was playing well. 

Archived