Jets playoff scenarios still looking iffy even if they win out

jetscrazey

The way I see it, the Jets have to win out, and they still may not make the playoffs.  Currently it's a 3 team race for 2 wild card spots.  All 3 teams are 8-5.  The unfortunate news is that the Jets don't have any tiebreakers and thus do not control their own destiny.  If KC and Pit win out, Jets don't have much of a chance.

So either KC or Pitt needs to lose 1 more game and Jets need to win out, which means beating NE as well as DAL and BUF.  KC's opponents are a joke and they will win out.  PIT has 2 layups in Baltimore and Cleveland, however next week vs. Denver is probably their best chance to lose a game.

KC remaining opponents: @ Ravens, vs. Browns, vs. Raiders. 

PIT remaining opponents: vs. Denver, @Baltimore, @Cleveland.

So, in summary, root for Denver next week and pray the Jets win out.  Unfortunately that brutal Bills loss could come back to bite us big time.

Same scenario as it was last week. Winning streaks for middle of the road teams normally doesn't go past 3-4 games. The way it goes KC looks like they will win out but odds are against them to continue their current streak. Pitt is a very scary team but two on the road. Anything can happen.

That includes us trying to win 6 in a row is very difficult.

At least we have the Pats at home.  We'd need a miracle if it was in Foxborough.  They're not the same team right now and we're playing good ball and healthy.  It's possible at home to beat them.

If it comes down to win and in @ Buffalo, I might have a heart attack. 

KC barely beat an AWFUL Chargers team today. They may win out, but I would bet that one of the Steelers/KC lose at least 1 game. With that said, we will still need to win out to have a chance which is crazy and typical Jets luck. 

They did barely win but that sh*t happens in the division.  Oakland just beat the Broncos in Denver. Otherwise, they've won 6 straight and the 5 before were in blow out fashion.

Another scenario is Either Cincy or Denver losing enough for us to catch them since either can lose their division to Pitt and KC respectively. Remember, Dalton now is out and Denver struggled today with injuries and their own bad QB issues.

Yes. That possibility has opened up. Because if either Denver or Cincy lose out, they would be 10-6. 

Another scenario is Either Cincy or Denver losing enough for us to catch them since either can lose their division to Pitt and KC respectively. Remember, Dalton now is out and Denver struggled today with injuries and their own bad QB issues.

It does not work with Cinn, but amazingly if we go 3-1 (loss to NE) and Denver loses out, KC wins out we get 6 seed. Pretty obscure though.

under the radar scenario here that I think is very much on the table.

Yes. That possibility has opened up. Because if either Denver or Cincy lose out, they would be 10-6. 

Bingo.

So besides rooting for KC and PIT to have unexpected losses, start rooting for DEN and CIN to start falling like a rock.  This ESPN playoff machine is very interesting, let KC and PIT and NYJ win out and give DEN just one loss and the NYJ are the 6 seed:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

SAR I

Kansas City wrecked the season. I thought 9-10 wins would be enough. but them streaking has come out of nowhere and wrecked it.

The Jets have no one to blame but themselves. The Bills, Eagles and Houston losses were simply unacceptable.

We would be talking about our chances of  winning the division and not the WC if we hadn't stumbled against some clearly inferior opponents. 

KC/Oak and Pitt/Balt are two pretty intense rivalries. Don't underestimate the idea of keeping your rival out of the playoffs serving as a serious source of motivation. See: Jets v Dolphins, December 2013.

balt has so many injuries and now Clausen is starting lol

The Jets have no one to blame but themselves. The Bills, Eagles and Houston losses were simply unacceptable.

We would be talking about our chances of  winning the division and not the WC if we hadn't stumbled against some clearly inferior opponents. 

No point in looking backward, is there? Besides I think most of us would have signed up for a 10-6 season and thought that was a very good shot at the post season. We are looking at 11-5 and not making it? Can't complain about that record, some games equal losses.

No point in looking backward, is there? Besides I think most of us would have signed up for a 10-6 season and thought that was a very good shot at the post season. We are looking at 11-5 and not making it? Can't complain about that record, some games equal losses.

Oh I agree with you 100%. It's just a shame that we lost some games to teams we appear to be clearly better than.

I am enjoying the season... just will be bummed if we don't get in with 10 or 11 wins.

The jets are 8-5 and need to win out to have any realistic chance at the 6 seed. This all the while the team that wins the AFC south could be 8-8 and the NFC east could be 7-9 to get the 4th seed. Ever since Seattle won the NFC west a few years back at 7-9 while the packers went 11-5 ( to the best of my recollection ), I have thought the NFL should adopt the NBA seeding system. One of the teams battling for the AFC wild cards is going to sit home while the Texans, Colts, or the Jags will be hosting a playoff game. As a jet fan I don't have a problem with this as long as it's not us sitting home. The Steelers are playing as well as any team not named the Panthers but the Chiefs are as much fun to watch as paint drying. I had to get that off my chest and there isn't a thing the jets can do except win out and hope the Raiders beat the Chiefs or Denver beats Pittsburgh. Enjoy the rest of the season guys, I think the jets finally have the right people making decisions and we can compete for division titles and more on a regular basis.

The jets are 8-5 and need to win out to have any realistic chance at the 6 seed. This all the while the team that wins the AFC south could be 8-8 and the NFC east could be 7-9 to get the 4th seed. Ever since Seattle won the NFC west a few years back at 7-9 while the packers went 11-5 ( to the best of my recollection ), I have thought the NFL should adopt the NBA seeding system. One of the teams battling for the AFC wild cards is going to sit home while the Texans, Colts, or the Jags will be hosting a playoff game. As a jet fan I don't have a problem with this as long as it's not us sitting home. The Steelers are playing as well as any team not named the Panthers but the Chiefs are as much fun to watch as paint drying. I had to get that off my chest and there isn't a thing the jets can do except win out and hope the Raiders beat the Chiefs or Denver beats Pittsburgh. Enjoy the rest of the season guys, I think the jets finally have the right people making decisions and we can compete for division titles and more on a regular basis.

Conpletely agree with you regarding the Chiefs, I'm sorry they suck & I'm sure the way both of our teams are playing right now we'd kick their boring azzes. Our secondary would completely stifle that sh*tty short game. I know you can't change the past, but Idziks whiffs have hurt our special teams the most and specials have been our Achilles heel in every game other than losing Fitz in Oakland.

I don't understand why we hold number 6 right now if we will lose it even if we win out. Is it because the other two 8-5 teams have only conference games remaining?

Kansas City already owns the tiebreaker against us and if Pittsburgh wins out, they will also ( I believe by conference record )

It called sports, teams lose.  Happens.  Did you think the Jets would win 11 or so games?  Bills, Eagles and Houston.  We would have 11 wins today.  To tell you how silly that is, we would have the most wins in the NFL.

Archived