Belichick Wanted To Kick

RutgersJetFan

Does anybody know if any other head coach has elected to kick in OT besides the great Bellicheat?

While Marty Morningwhen was the head coach of Detroit, he also decided to kick off after winning the toss. The opposing team scored on the first drive and Morningwhen's decision was so panned by the media, that I'm convinced it lead to him getting fired after that season. When BB makes the same bonehead decision, the media either passes it off as "sound strategy" or "he was covering up for his player". Horsesh!t, it was a dumb call and BB deserves to be criticized. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say what you want about Belichick.  But I have never heard him put the blame on an individual player.  He always puts it on himself.  So we may never know what really happened.  My theory is that he knew the Steelers already lost and eliminating the Steelers was the best case scenerio for the Patriots. So It was to the Patriots advantage to lose.  They will get home field advantage by beating the Dolphins next week any way.  They always look at the bigger picture.

So, he's worried about playing a team that couldn't even beat newly signed Ryan Mallet in a must win situation....what a joke of a theory. 

The Steelers hadn't lost yet.  And Gronk didn't score  James White did.

the steelers never had the lead, and if the pats wanted to lose they would ave done so in regulation.  they would have kicked a FG rather than go for it on 4th and 8.

what is so hard to understand about that ?

the steelers never had the lead, and if the pats wanted to lose they would ave done so in regulation.

what is so hard to understand about that ?

No matter what was decided the Pats are still in a better position by losing.  They will not sit as many players next week, beat the Dolphins to get the number one seed and the Steelers will be out of the playoffs.  As long as the Jets win next week.

No matter what was decided the Pats are still in a better position by losing.  They will not sit as many players next week, beat the Dolphins to get the number one seed and the Steelers will be out of the playoffs.  As long as the Jets win next week.

lol fan logic. in the last 4 meetings between the pats and jets, (including all injuries and pathetic fan boy excuses) the score has been

Jets 90  -  pats* 92

you think the briber wants to see these guys in the post season with marshall and decker ?

lololololololololololol

You have got Tom Brady and are facing a guy that has been absolute money on game-winning drives the past month. So yeah, let's keep the ball out of the latter and put it in the hands of the former. Love it.

spot in. Terrible call by Belidick, especially given that Marshall was taking Pats CB Logan Ryan to school the entire game

While Marty Morningwhen was the head coach of Detroit, he also decided to kick off after winning the toss. The opposing team scored on the first drive and Morningwhen's decision was so panned by the media, that I'm convinced it lead to him getting fired after that season. When BB makes the same bonehead decision, the media either passes it off as "sound strategy" or "he was covering up for his player". Horsesh!t, it was a dumb call and BB deserves to be criticized. 

Morningweg did that in an era when OT was sudden death and a FG wins it. Apples to Oranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol fan logic. in the last 4 meetings between the pats and jets, (including all injuries and pathetic fan boy excuses) the score has been

Jets 90  -  pats* 92

you think the briber wants to see these guys in the post season with marshall and decker ?

lololololololololololol

Maybe next game they can play with the Pats at full strength and the Jets can play with out three offensive lineman, without the top two running backs( Ivory and Powell), the top two receivers ( Marshall and Decker) and their top two safeties(Pryor and Gilchrist). Add in the Pats don't have their top two return men.  I think at full strength the teams are not close. The Patriots will be a lot closer to full strength in the playoffs then they were at any time after week three this year.

Maybe next game they can play with the Pats at full strength and the Jets can play with out three offensive lineman, without the top two running backs( Ivory and Powell), the top two receivers ( Marshall and Decker) and their top two safeties(Pryor and Gilchrist). Add in the Pats don't have their top two return men.  I think at full strength the teams are not close. The Patriots will be a lot closer to full strength in the playoffs then they were at any time after week three this year.

92-90

no excuses

I'll stick to it being damage control. 

It's either that, or Belichick is really, really, really, REALLY stupid. I don't understand the logic of not receiving first in OT AT ALL.

I, too, first thought that it was damage control, but when does Belichick protect players? Isn't he the guy who doesn't hesitate to throw players under the bus when they **** up? Hell, he even kind of threw Brady under the bus at the start of the whole DeflateGate thing. A lot of things don't make sense with this.

The only thing that matters though, is that the whole controversy, for once, is neither about us, nor about the Patriots cheating. THEY ****ed up. WE won.

All is right and awesome in the world.

Kicking it to us wasn't terrible strategy; our offense had done next to nothing in the 4th quarter, barely moved the ball on our previous couple of drives and the Patriots offense finally got in the end zone and had signs of life. I'm sure Belichick was hoping for a Jets punt and return that would enable to the Patriots to only have to advance the ball to the Jets 35 or so to kick the game winner. It was even shocking to me that we suddenly pulled off big plays to Quincy and Marshall. 

I like this point a lot. This game shouldn't have even had to go to overtime. 

Short version: Pats' GM sucks at roster depth. 

No excuses.  What is the record in those games?  And the playoff records of the two teams in that time?

Are you asking what's the playoff record when the Pats play the Jets?  They haven't played much in the playoffs recently.  I'm trying to remember the last time they played....  Do you think you can help me remember?

And Brady has never lost to the Steelers in the playoffs, which was when they were much better than they are now.

The Steelers hadn't lost yet.  And Gronk didn't score  James White did.

Wait, so the Pats wanted the Steelers out of the playoffs, but only let the Jets win once they knew the Steelers lost?  Do you realize that even if the Steelers won this week, they could still lose next week, and the Jets only beat them out if the Jets won both times?  So the Pats clearly should have thrown the game regardless of what the Steelers did this week...

Come on, you as a Pats fan should know that when they want to play dirty pool, they don't do it half-assed!

maybe next time your FO shouldn't bring on an Amedola who's always been injured?  Or should draft WRs who are adult sized, not pint sized like Edelman.  

Maybe the Pats need to rethink their strength and conditioning regimen.  

Maybe you should stop whining like a baby because you lost.  

I hate everything about the pats, but I don't really think this was as bad a decision as people make it out to be. The jets just went 3 and out 3 straight times I believe. The pats offense scored 13 points all game. Win the field position battle. End the game with a long Fg. We've seen the pats end tons of games on FG.  AGAIN.... This is not the decision I would make but not as far fetched as people in the media are making it out to be 

If the Jets go 3 and out it's not any more of an advantage before or after the Pats if they get the ball first. What I guess you're saying is if the Pats kick a FG the Jets get a chance to tie it up if NE gets the ball first. But in either case they still have to stop the Jets on the Jets' first possession to win with a FG.

It was mindless. Maybe - given the Jets' recent woes on offense and a QB whose passes don't exactly cut through the wind - deferring to choose the direction could be justified if there were like 40 mph winds going lengthwise from goalpost to goalpost. This was nothing like that. It was totally mindless. 

Back page of the New York Daily News for December 28, 2015, with the Jets winning over the Patriots and Bill Belichick: THANKS GENIUS!

Ah the tabloids.  I'd still take Belichick in a heartbeat but I agree that it was a crazy decision.  I guess the only thing is he felt he wouldn't give up a TD and so he'd have the "bottom of the inning" to try to come back if the Pats gave up a FG.  And maybe he was hoping to play field position/special teams to set up an easier offensive drive.  Admittedly his OL was getting over-run.  However, he still had the GOAT QB plus an offensive that drove down the field for the game tying score in regulation.

so your roster us full of pussies and your coach is a dumb ass

no excuses

And this is only the the Jets second win this season against a team that currently has a winning record.  The other being Washington who is 8-7. I know the Jets are somewhat better this year, but some of it is playing the easiest schedule in the NFL.

that was my impression after watching it over a few times.  they wanted to kick, but didn't get the direction they wanted, the refs let the jets choose the direction

The guy said we want to kick this way.  Then the ref turns and asks Cro which side they want.  That is when Slater got upset.  Not when they asked him if they wanted to kick.  He should have said we will defend that endzone.  The thing I don't get is why it mattered much - was there much wind?

Belichicks arrogance got the best of him on that call. Instead of Brady going down the field first and potentially beating the Jets in OT. He never got the ball because our QB Fitzy the Harvard graduate goes down the field and throws the winning td to decker on the right side of the endzone from the redzone. What a great moment that was. Epic! I was at Buffalo Wild Wings at that time when the winning td happened the whole place full of Jets fans erupted in Cheers of Joy! It was awesome! Go Jets!

maybe next time your FO shouldn't bring on an Amedola who's always been injured?  Or should draft WRs who are adult sized, not pint sized like Edelman.  

Maybe the Pats need to rethink their strength and conditioning regimen.  

Maybe you should stop whining like a baby because you lost.  

I love the fact that you reverted to calling me names.  It means I got under your skin.  Victory for me. lol

And this is only the the Jets second win this season against a team that currently has a winning record.  The other being Washington who is 8-7. I know the Jets are somewhat better this year, but some of it is playing the easiest schedule in the NFL.

I'd be careful about going on about ease of schedule, given that Jets and Patsies had pretty much the same schedule. So if ours was the easiest, Patsies was pretty damned close.

I love the fact that you reverted to calling me names.  It means I got under your skin.  Victory for me. lol

Yes, whining like a baby, which you were doing, is name calling of the highest order.

That youre here, crying that the Pats let the Jets win, whatever reasons make the loss feel better to you, means the Jets beating up your Pats is under your skin.

I'd be careful about going on about ease of schedule, given that Jets and Patsies had pretty much the same schedule. So if ours was the easiest, Patsies was pretty damned close.

I believe the Pats was the 8th easiest.  But they also won more game and will get the number one seed in the AFC with the second most injury depleted roster in the NFL.

Archived