Bowles' inability to adjust and stop watkins

neckdemon

This is the most bothersome part about the game for me. Thew bills really only had one guy that we had to really worry about in the passing game and bowles was UNABLE to figure out how to contain him. 61% of taylor's completions and a whopping 75% of the receiving yardage went to watkins. they really had no one else. you are supposed to at least try to take away their best player and make them beat you with greg salas. revis is not the guy to just lock down a young talented receiver anymore one on one. bowles sh*t the bed here and it's bothersome because it seemed he had no answer to this....and he is supposed to be a defensive guy.

Same thing happened with Hopkins, when the other team has about one threat and you fail to take that guy away you have made a huge error.  Revis didn't do his job as well.

revis is not a guy who can do this anymore. its bowles' fault for continuing to put revis on an island against him when it was obvious watkins was owning him all game. after the firtst quarter....and definitely after the half the adjustment should have been made, and it wasn't and thats a problem. do you think bellichick would have let that happen"?

Salas was the most sickening part of this game.  

I was so high on that kid - and he just sucked as a Jet - but came up huge for them today in a few key spots.  

yes but greg salas is the guy who you make them win with....you don't let them complete 180 yds worth of passes to their best player without trying to adjust and stop them. bowles gameplan going in was revis on watkins...and when that didn't work he had nothing. NOTHING!!!!

yes but greg salas is the guy who you make them win with....you don't let them complete 180 yds worth of passes to their best player without trying to adjust and stop them. bowles gameplan going in was revis on watkins...and when that didn't work he had nothing. NOTHING!!!!

Completely agree......you had to stop Watkins - but it still nauseated me watching Salas catching key passes...

The most disappointing part of this game for me is how utterly unprepared and unmotivated this team was. Bowles was overmatched by the genius Rex. No double coverage on Watkins, no pass rush, Ridley getting more touches than Ivory, no adjustments whatsoever. This team looked timid and nervous in the most important game in 5 years against a mediocre and injured Buffalo team with a crappy coach. Well done Bowles.

This is the most bothersome part about the game for me. Thew bills really only had one guy that we had to really worry about in the passing game and bowles was UNABLE to figure out how to contain him. 61% of taylor's completions and a whopping 75% of the receiving yardage went to watkins. they really had no one else. you are supposed to at least try to take away their best player and make them beat you with greg salas. revis is not the guy to just lock down a young talented receiver anymore one on one. bowles sh*t the bed here and it's bothersome because it seemed he had no answer to this....and he is supposed to be a defensive guy.

Revis was concerned about getting beat deep like Hopkins did. I question the ability of Todd Bowles ( a laid back, thoughtful guy) to fire the team up to play like Lawrence Taylor famously said, "Like a pack of crazed dogs." That was needed today and very much absent.

I said it during the 1-4 stretch... you don't trust a defense with this much talent on it to a rookie defensive coordinator. At no point in the season would I said the defense was schemed to really cash in on the talent we have on that side of the ball. There have been moments where the D has been great, and they've done well statistically, but too many times they'd just disappear. It really parallels the problems the D had with Rex, except this D would fade early in games, while Rex's did late. 

Maybe, one day, we'll have a defense that plays 4 quarters. 

I'd like to know which player(s) on this roster instilled the "blah" level of giving a sh*t that has been present on this team for a decade... I'm inclined to point at Brick, the one who let Fitz get clobbered on that INT, and who had a huge smile on his face as the clock ran out.

The most disappointing part of this game for me is how utterly unprepared and unmotivated this team was. Bowles was overmatched by the genius Rex. No double coverage on Watkins, no pass rush, Ridley getting more touches than Ivory, no adjustments whatsoever. This team looked timid and nervous in the most important game in 5 years against a mediocre and injured Buffalo team with a crappy coach. Well done Bowles.

Yes, I agree with this 100%. 

I said it during the 1-4 stretch... you don't trust a defense with this much talent on it to a rookie defensive coordinator. At no point in the season would I said the defense was schemed to really cash in on the talent we have on that side of the ball. There have been moments where the D has been great, and they've done well statistically, but too many times they'd just disappear. It really parallels the problems the D had with Rex, except this D would fade early in games, while Rex's did late. 

Maybe, one day, we'll have a defense that plays 4 quarters. 

I'd like to know which player(s) on this roster instilled the "blah" level of giving a sh*t that has been present on this team for a decade... I'm inclined to point at Brick, the one who let Fitz get clobbered on that INT, and who had a huge smile on his face as the clock ran out.

I appreciate what Brick has done, but the Jets save $9 million by cutting him.  He's a below average LT these days.

The problem was, no matter how well or long the coverage was Tyrod was able to convert with his legs.

That (1) tired the D, and (2) set up the short stuff like the easy toss on 4th & 6.

Fitz could've done the same thing as there were many occasions he could've gained the first down by myself.

But for some reason he forgot to use the "magic" that got us this far.  

What was with the off-coverage? The blitz plus off-coverage was not working all day, why continue it?

It was sad to watch.  Here's Revis, making all that money to be Revis, and they had him backing away at the line all day long and playing soft.  Basically pitch and catch for Taylor and Watkins all day long with Darrelle being a non-factor.

I said it in a different thread but the whole game plan was predicated on playing it safe and grinding out a win. We were always playing from behind and refused to adjust on either side of the ball to take necessary risks. We kept running Ridley for nothing. We played off Watkins on the short to keep him from burning us on the long routes. When the offense tried to take risks they were unprepared for it and bad plays were forced. It was like every Rex Ryan game his last several years once he had a lead. Played soft, gave up so much that once the other side took a lead you can't change the mindset and pound down a victory.

This loss is definitely on Bowles. Same as the bad streak in the middle of the season. You just can't play games conservatively because you're scared of a loss. It's his lesson to learn over the offseason. If he can take that away and we come back with a strong roster then we could be a real threat to take the division next year. Brady be damned.

FYI Giants went up to Buffalo in October and beat them 24-10.  We can't use "well Buffalo is a tough place to play" as an excuse.

This was a terrible coaching job not putting the players in the best position to win and it starts with Todd Bowles.  Next year he won't get to use "rookie head coach" as an excuse.

I have a feeling the coaches were forcing Revis into more zone than he wanted.  Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I got.  Regardless, Revis needed to execute his zone coverage better.  The Jets secondary looked totally unprepared for the bunch formation and lost the 3rd down battle overall.  It was almost as if they hadn't practiced or game planned for what the Bills did.  They were so scared of being beaten deep all day that they totally yielded the underneath stuff.

I said it in a different thread but the whole game plan was predicated on playing it safe and grinding out a win. We were always playing from behind and refused to adjust on either side of the ball to take necessary risks. We kept running Ridley for nothing. We played off Watkins on the short to keep him from burning us on the long routes. When the offense tried to take risks they were unprepared for it and bad plays were forced. It was like every Rex Ryan game his last several years once he had a lead. Played soft, gave up so much that once the other side took a lead you can't change the mindset and pound down a victory.

This loss is definitely on Bowles. Same as the bad streak in the middle of the season. You just can't play games conservatively because you're scared of a loss. It's his lesson to learn over the offseason. If he can take that away and we come back with a strong roster then we could be a real threat to take the division next year. Brady be damned.

Like I said a number of weeks ago, Bowles is over his head.  Hopefully he learns from these very hard lessons as there were several this year. He's no Mike Tomlin, that's for sure.  Just not getting a good feeling about him after this first year despite the 10-6 record. Something's missing in him.  He's gong to get an ulcer if he doesn't show some passion and expression.  He needs to get a Coaches for Dummies book.  So many bad decisions, lack of adjustments, lack of urgency in the overall team's approach, poor offensive/defensive planning.  Major improvement is a must in his coaching style next year.    

Like I said a number of weeks ago, Bowles is over his head.  Hopefully he learns from these very hard lessons as there were several this year. He's no Mike Tomlin, that's for sure.  Just not getting a good feeling about him after this first year despite the 10-6 record. Something's missing in him.  He's gong to get an ulcer if he doesn't show some passion and expression.  He needs to get a Coaches for Dummies book.  So many bad decisions, lack of adjustments, lack of urgency in the overall team's approach, poor offensive/defensive planning.  Major improvement is a must in his coaching style next year.    

I can't get past keeping Sheldon at OLB after Wilkerson broke his leg. How can one be so inflexible to change one's pre game plan that he doesn't put the best remaining DLman on the DL and keeps him at LB. Yeah I know he still had a hand in the dirt a lot but I always felt the idea of a 3-4 was that the O doesn't know which OLB is rushing and which is dropping into coverage or reading/reacting to a run.  Keeping Sheldon out there announced his role. 

Given the difficulty Revis had with Watkins we'd have been better off using another DB to help. Certainly on freaking 3rd downs where we knew a pass was coming. Even on the 3rd down conversion where Taylor kept it Revis was still 1 on 1 against Watkins. On cue, Rex moronically bragged to the halftime reporter he was going to keep doing that with Watkins, and then we just let it happen with no adjustments.

He's a stubborn man. I honestly don't know if it's ego/pride or an inability to change on the fly without time and a group of coaches coming up with a plan by committee. I know I hope it's he former because losing can force a change of mindset there. But ultimately, neither is a good quality. 

yeah it became obvious with watt and hopkins that bowles can be stubborn giving help

I would have liked to see skrine spy TT as well, something like that

Bowles' stubbornness is my main concern. He refuses to go to plan B in most cases. 

Just a rookie head coach who doesn't trust himself enough to tinker on the fly. It'll come with experience.

You'd think this is basic stuff a HC should always know. If you saw a HC job posting on career builder, making adjustments would be one of the top priorities. It's what separates the good from the great. Being a rookie HC doesn't change. He needed to be brave. Rex was the same for 6 years. NFL doesn't allow mulligans, unless it's at the TE spot, which we never had anyways. 

You'd think this is basic stuff a HC should always know. If you saw a HC job posting on career builder, making adjustments would be one of the top priorities. It's what separates the good from the great. Being a rookie HC doesn't change. He needed to be brave. Rex was the same for 6 years. NFL doesn't allow mulligans, unless it's at the TE spot, which we never had anyways. 

I don't disagree but I do think he'll get better/more confident. Coaches learn and get better at their jobs as they do them. In-game adjustments probably has steepest learning curve. It's easy to say they should change watching at home. But ripping up a game plan you and your staff have been working on 14 hours a day for a week (that you must've felt pretty darn good about) and go with your gut with playoffs on the line takes chutzpah.

I agree for the most part, but there are explanations for what he did.  He may have stuck with Richardson up because Bowen and Douzable are better than Trevor Reilly.  Revis was generally lined up across from Watkins, but I read that he kept them facing the QB with a lot of zone because of Taylor's running ability.  As for giving Revis help, I assume he tried.  Greg Salas converted three 3rd and longs.  He was beating Williams like drum.  If I am going to roll the dice, I will go down in flames with Revis before I let Greg Salas kill us any worse than he did.  The one time Skrine stopped him, they converted the 4th which I think was the bunch Gilchrist gave up to Watkins, IIRC. 

It was simply bizarre watching as we failed to get pressure on every snap.  This wasn't exactly the Redskins line of the 80's we were dealing with.  All that talent on the line and we couldn't get past Richie Incognito and their makeshift right side of the line (missing RG and RT)?  Come on.  That was pathetic.  It's no surprise Taylor was able to find Watkins or Salas open when he was given all kinds of time. 

Single coverage on the outside is dependent on getting pressure on the QB. 

Archived