Moving A Touchback To The 25

KRL

The NFL wants to eliminate the kick off to improve player safety.  But by moving
a touchback to the 25 it's going to have the opposite effect.  Now instead of the
kicker putting the ball through the end zone, teams will have the kicker try to place
the ball at the 1 yard line.  Why???  So that the kicking team has a chance to tackle
the receiving team inside the 25!!!  You will now have more "violent collisions"

Why don't they just eliminate the kick off.  To move touchbacks to the 25 discourage returns begs the question.  Why kick off in the first place?!?  It is one of the most exciting plays particularly the opening kickoff that is now worthless.. Win the toss, take the ball at the 20 if you defer your opponent get the ball at the 20...

40 minutes ago, KRL said:

The NFL wants to eliminate the kick off to improve player safety.  But by moving
a touchback to the 25 it's going to have the opposite effect.  Now instead of the
kicker putting the ball through the end zone, teams will have the kicker try to place
the ball at the 1 yard line.  Why???  So that the kicking team has a chance to tackle
the receiving team inside the 25!!!  You will now have more "violent collisions"

The law of unintended consequences. Good point.

Looks like a move made by checkers players not chess players.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Totally agree.  The league's thinking here is backwards. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

The league is not thinking very clearly.  They want teams to choose to take touchbacks, and so are making them more and more advantageous.  But this is a game.  The more advantageous they make touchbacks, the less likely that the *kicking team* will want to allow the receiving team to take them.  Unless there's some asymmetry in the rules, there's no way they can make it so that the receiving team really wants to take a touchback, while at the same time the kicking team really wants to kick it into the endzone.

As others have said, they should just eliminate the kickoff, and start at the 25.  Though then you'd have to do something special to allow onsides kicks.

55 minutes ago, jetsons said:

See how this plays out for a few years & reevaluate then... I personally would disagree with eliminating the kickoff altogether.... this is Football.

And yet they're doing all they can to eliminate one of the few plays in the game that involves a foot contacting the ball.

7 minutes ago, The Green Dude said:

Doubt it... what are teams going to about onsides kicks? Can't get rid of those, huge part of the game.

I think you can still choose. Choose to onside kick, or choose for the opponent to get the ball starting on the 20 or 25 yard line.

The huge part of the game that gets eliminated are long kick returns (particularly those returned for TDs outright). A team scores a TD or a FG, and now there's no chance of a huge momentum swing back the other way on the ensuing KO. If you put 7 go-ahead points on the board with a minute or less left, and now you know the other team must go a full 75 yards on offense on the next drive to catch up. 

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Why can't they just leave the ******* rules alone? 

Because having your product sit out with injuries doesnt really help sell the game?  Paying tons of money while waiting for your product to develop only to see it damaged forever is hardly good for business.

Players keep getting bigger, faster and stronger than before.  Need new rules to protect them from themselves as the players, the game and the risks change.

You know even if a handful of fans get weird over protecting players

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think you can still choose. Choose to onside kick, or choose for the opponent to get the ball starting on the 20 or 25 yard line.

The huge part of the game that gets eliminated are long kick returns (particularly those returned for TDs outright). A team scores a TD or a FG, and now there's no chance of a huge momentum swing back the other way on the ensuing KO. If you put 7 go-ahead points on the board with a minute or less left, and now you know the other team must go a full 75 yards on offense on the next drive to catch up. 

The problem with that, sometimes the onsides kick is an element of surprise. Teams can line up as they are doing a normal kickoff in an attempt to fool the opposition. Try to think back of that game against the Bills with Chad Morton's return for TD's, esp the OT one. I was present for that game and we basically lose that game by 2TD's without them. Plus, seeing the player break those tackles and run it in for a TD is probably one of the most exciting plays in football to watch. Leave the damn kickoffs haha

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And yet they're doing all they can to eliminate one of the few plays in the game that involves a foot contacting the ball.

LOL they could just call it soccer so the USA can align with the rest of the world on the definition of a football game

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football

7 hours ago, The Green Dude said:

The problem with that, sometimes the onsides kick is an element of surprise. Teams can line up as they are doing a normal kickoff in an attempt to fool the opposition. Try to think back of that game against the Bills with Chad Morton's return for TD's, esp the OT one. I was present for that game and we basically lose that game by 2TD's without them. Plus, seeing the player break those tackles and run it in for a TD is probably one of the most exciting plays in football to watch. Leave the damn kickoffs haha

+ 1 ... See New Orleans Saints - Super Bowl

What would you guys think about eliminating the kickoff completely, and replacing it with a punt from your own 40?  More returns, fewer injuries, more returns for TD's so instead of taking one of the most exciting plays out of the game, you're adding more.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This sport and league are starting to become really boring.

Agreed.  No special teams.  No breathing on the QB.  Passing the ball is everything.  No playing defense on the WRs.  Basically it's arena football - which is a sport I used to make fun of.  The NFL is getting awfully close to being ruined.  I watched less NFL last year than I probably ever had.  It's not that I don't enjoy football either.  I still enjoy watching old school football (1980's in particular) on YouTube.  The game is vastly different today.

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

One thing that is missing from last year's XP rule change is the fake PAT where they go for 2 instead.  Hard to imagine anyone is going to do that with the kick at that distance.

19 hours ago, The Green Dude said:

Doubt it... what are teams going to about onsides kicks? Can't get rid of those, huge part of the game.

Offenses would start at the 20 or 25, id guess.. I agree that would be stupid but nothing would surprise me anymore 

23 hours ago, KRL said:

Further proof of Goodell's ineptitude

On 3/23/2016 at 10:27 AM, KRL said:

Exactly. This is full circle. The game was fine the old way and they changed it. If that was really for player safety that is great. Then just leave it the boring way that it is now.

Archived