Report: Rams Move to #1 Pick in Trade

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You think so? I think with giving up that much they're announcing they're not going to be contending this year (and probably not next year either).

They have a QB who can start the first half of the season. Then after Keenan screws up, the fan base will be that much more patient with Wentz as a rookie (in addition to giving him the month or two of clipboard holding that he probably needs). 

You could be right, fair point. I just think you make that big of a trade, going to a new city, they are going to want to see their shiny new toy immediately, and Wentz is not ready for that, but time will tell.

Just now, Paradis said:

hmmm, Goff to LA will test CLE's commitment to just "taking a QB" if they're not in love as much with Wentz... this could have a huge impact.

I thought they WERE in love with Wentz and having missed out on him to the Rams are willing to trade the #2 pick. If the Rams are actually after Goff, this works out great for the Browns. But if the Browns are willing to move down, they must NOT be in love with Wentz. Its such a cluster**** of rumors going around, I don't know what to believe. All I know is that it seems more likely that the Jets miss out on P.Lynch but get a higher chance of a top OT prospect falling to them (Conklin, Decker).    

I thought they WERE in love with Wentz and having missed out on him to the Rams are willing to trade the #2 pick. If the Rams are actually after Goff, this works out great for the Browns. But if the Browns are willing to move down, they must NOT be in love with Wentz. Its such a cluster**** of rumors going around, I don't know what to believe. All I know is that it seems more likely that the Jets miss out on P.Lynch but get a higher chance of a top OT prospect falling to them (Conklin, Decker).    

I've heard pretty consistently as of late that cle's new analytic team is high on Goff.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Rams need alot of of help on the offensive side of the ball.  

Yes and they needed a legitimate QB more than anything else. Look at the Jets right now debating between overpaying fitz and all of us gauging our eyes out with Geno. It's a supply and demand situation. Super short supply, super high demand. 

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

You don't like 8-8 with everyone hugging and jumping up and down celebrating 2 meaningless wins end of year like it was the SB?

The only QB we missed out on, by not finishing 2-14, was Bortles (who went #3 and it was a huge surprise when he went that high). Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo - these guys were all sitting right there for us when we took a safety in round 1. Garoppolo we passed on twice, and there's no evidence that Idzik would have taken him over McDougle even if he was still there for us in round 3 (given how much he reached for McDougle as it was).

The last game of the next season, against Miami, clearly we should have lost on purpose. If Woody knew he was firing both Rex and Idzik, he should have fired them both - as well as both coordinators - before that game and made Chris Owusu the interim HC.

The Jets only truly suck in years where there are not a lot  of QBs and the 1st couple of teams are desperate for QB's,  In years whee there are 3 or 4 reasonable Qb prospects we win enough to be out of range.  It's some kind of league rule.

Just now, bitonti said:

Yes and they needed a legitimate QB more than anything else. Look at the Jets right now debating between overpaying fitz and all of us gauging our eyes out with Geno. It's a supply and demand situation. Super short supply, super high demand. 

The Jets dont like like they're debating at all about overpaying a glorified back up. They let him test FA and all. 

Secondly, the mistake that so many fans make is calling these rookies "Legit QB's" or "Franchise QB's". They're rookies that will need development and talent around them. We go through this almost every year. These "franchise QB's are drafted high  and they end up being a back up for the new coach that took over that team 2 years later. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only QB we missed out on, by not finishing 2-14, was Bortles (who went #3 and it was a huge surprise when he went that high). Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo - these guys were all sitting right there for us when we took a safety in round 1. Garoppolo we passed on twice, and there's no evidence that Idzik would have taken him over McDougle even if he was still there for us in round 3 (given how much he reached for McDougle as it was).

The last game of the next season, against Miami, clearly we should have lost. If Woody knew he was firing both Rex and Idzik, he should have fired them both - as well as both coordinators - before that game and made Chris Owusu the interim HC.

I was really just bitching about the 8-8 season, your spot on about the bold, the jumping around and dancing and celebrating 8-8 was one of the lowest points of my Jets fandom that dates back to the late 70's, it was disgusting, so I throw that in whenever I can :)

It's amazing how short the supply of QBs has become.

Back in the 80s it seemed every team had a quality QB.

Neil Lomax, Cardinals.

Lynn Dickey, Packers,

Dave Krieg, Seattle,

Tommy Kramer, Minnesota, 

Jim Everett, Rams

Ken O'Brien, Jets

In addition to Marino and Montana and the elite.

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

yeah, but thats not all I spoke about. I dont know why you're isolating my statement. But its cool. We'll see at the end of the year what that Oline/WR/TE group does. 

I isolated your statement becasue you very forcefully made the 'one of the worst olines in the league' a major part of the point you were trying to make.  You made the comment, not me.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's amazing how short the supply of QBs has become.

Back in the 80s it seemed every team had a quality QB.

Neil Lomax, Cardinals.

Lynn Dickey, Packers,

Dave Krieg, Seattle,

Tommy Kramer, Minnesota, 

Jim Everett, Rams

Ken O'Brien, Jets

In addition to Marino and Montana and the elite.

Lynn Dickey, my buddy growing up was a huge packers fan and just loved Lynn Dickey.....misty water colored memories...

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Rams will put a rookie QB behind one of the worst offensive lines in the league. He will have limited targets at the receiver spot. Stedman Bailey was shot, Wes Welker should retire, Kenny Brit flamed out, Tavon is a slot/gadget man and Brian Quick has not lived up to his physical attributes. Oh, and Jared Cook is now a Packer. 

I would take Santonio Holmes/Braylon Edwards duo over whatever the Rams decide to field. Minus Gurley, all the talent is on the defensive side of the ball and they just traded two years worth of draft picks to move up 14 spots to draft a QB that they now cant build around.

This is a bad trade if you ask me. 

Rams OL is young, solid, and getting better. Plus, Gurley takes a lot of pressure off of QB dropbacks. And you're talking about an OL who was blocking for casey keenum. It's been proven time and again that a QB who makes quick decisions can make an OL look great in pass protection, and a QB who holds the ball too long makes an OL look terrible in pass protection. Just look at our OL in the Raiders game, and then every game that Fitz played in. Night and day in pass protection.

Not saying the titans didn't make out here, but outside of a stud pass catcher, that Rams team is either solid or loaded at most positions. if Wentz or Goff can come in and hold the fort and they add a couple of pass catchers from the draft or free agency, LA  is going to find themselves in a nice little sustained run of success. 

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I isolated your statement becasue you very forcefully made the 'one of the worst olines in the league' a major part of the point you were trying to make.  You made the comment, not me.

No, it was one of three points of my position, 2 you're ignoring because you couldnt find anything on the internet to use as a tool for your argument. Thats why you're isolating. 

Also, its because they were one of the worst olines in the league ranking 25th in pass blocking, 27th in run blocking and 22nd in penalties. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/20/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

Funny how PFF stats are no longer relevant the moment it is contrary to one's thinking. You have the floor. No need for me to continue to go back and forth when stats support my position. 

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Glennon is worth a 1st though. Stop it. 

Not thus far he isn't.  Thus far the market has abjectly rejected that thought.

Still time, of course...But I'll wager he not only won't be traded for a #1 pick of any kind in 2016, he will not be traded at all.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Rams OL is young, solid, and getting better. Plus, Gurley takes a lot of pressure off of QB dropbacks. And you're talking about an OL who was blocking for casey keenum. It's been proven time and again that a QB who makes quick decisions can make an OL look great in pass protection, and a QB who holds the ball too long makes an OL look terrible in pass protection. Just look at our OL in the Raiders game, and then every game that Fitz played in. Night and day in pass protection.

Not saying the titans didn't make out here, but outside of a stud pass catcher, that Rams team is either solid or loaded at most positions. if Wentz or Goff can come in and hold the fort and they add a couple of pass catchers from the draft or free agency, LA  is going to find themselves in a nice little sustained run of success. 

Im not going to engage in this because orginal statement has been isolated. We're not longer talking about all that I said, we're not talking about young onlines. 

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If you like the QB, does it really matter if it's at 7, 15, 20?

You either view him as a franchise QB or you don't. I don't think teams would view him as only a franchise QB after pick 12 or whatever.

The Ravens viewed Flacco as a franchise QB and wouldn't take him at #8. They traded down from #8 to #26 and in doing so they picked up #s 71, 89, and 125. Then they traded #26 and #89 back, plus #178, to move back up to #18 for Flacco.

Net, they traded down from #8 to #18 and in doing so, pocketed #71, got a move-up from #178 to 125, and Flacco was signed to a much cheaper rookie contract, enabling them to add another player (or upgrade another player) in FA. 

Depends on how the wind is blowing. If there were a lot of rumors going that Flacco could easily get taken at 11-ish give or take, like some Lynch rumors, then they probably would have taken him at #8.

The Ravens viewed Flacco as a franchise QB and wouldn't take him at #8. They traded down from #8 to #26 and in doing so they picked up #s 71, 89, and 125. Then they traded #26 and #89 back, plus #178, to move back up to #18 for Flacco.

Net, they traded down from #8 to #18 and in doing so, pocketed #71, got a move-up from #178 to 125, and Flacco was signed to a much cheaper rookie contract, enabling them to add another player (or upgrade another player) in FA. 

Depends on how the wind is blowing. If there were a lot of rumors going that Flacco could easily get taken at 11-ish give or take, like some Lynch rumors, then they probably would have taken him at #8.

Food for thought, indeed -- but my point is -- IF San Fran for example thinks Lynch is a franchise QB and they like him... They're not going to pass on him at 7. They may try to trade back or what have you - but it's not like you only take Lynch when it's past pick 15 or whatever.

Like you said. Depends on the winds.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There is no way the Ravens lead pipe cinch viewed flacco as a franchise guy if they traded down, if so they were just stupidly lucky to get him.  No chance at all you can use that draft to justify not taking a Qb you view as a franchise guy early and trading down and hooping he is there for you

The Titans absolutely robbed the Rams here. Rams ownership is without a doubt looking to drive up team interest and ticket sales with this move...

Tennessee has a really good chance here to build a really good team. They can really try to build around Mariota.

Wow. Now that's just ridiculous. 

And people expect the Jets to possibly move up to the Browns spot? 

Whomever is the QB drafted by the Rams is probably going to fail. You trade all of your picks this year along with two of your top 3 picks next year. How are you going to build around that QB? 

This will forever be a dumb move and it destroy's any possibility of surrounding that QB with young talent to grow with. 

Rams already have a stud rb, decent receivers, and a decent OL

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Would think for Wentz but definitely either him or Goff. They gave up huge compensation. To me a foolish trade for an org that needs more good players across the board. They must really be down on Nick Foles who you would assume they will deal to the Cowboys or another team. But they might have to eat some salary. 

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Rams already have a stud rb, decent receivers, and a decent OL

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

The Rams have a stud RB but their WR's are below average. Their TE is trash and their OL was ranked 28th in the league by PFF (though they are a young oline). 

Besides those facts, thats still in my eyes a lopsided trade. You could have gotten a guy that you may have deemed a lesser talent but you could have drafted more talent around him. 

Giving up two years worth of draft picks for an unknown rookie QB that doesnt even have that "cant miss" label on him doesnt seem to make sense to me. And im not saying that the "cant miss" tag cant be wrong (RG3), my point here is that I dont see Goff or Wentz being worth two 1st, two 2nd's and two 3rds in two drafts. Especially when everything else around him outside of the RB position is at best..."decent"

Thats ridiculous. 

So no one will know if this is a good deal for 3 to 4 years but what I know is this is a move that in my 34 years as a fan have never seen the Jets make.   Go and get the best QB in a draft.  Closest thing was the Sanchez trade but he was not the best QB in that draft.  I know it does not always work out but we as fans are so due.  Just once go get the #1 rated and give us a QB for the next 15 years.

Archived