For Those Still Crying About Lee

KRL

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I also think people just want to pick offense just to pick offense

Offense is "sexy" and we want sexy.  Who cares about solving problems that have plagued our

defense for years

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez...  they invited Lynch to Florham Park for an individual visit.  THey had lengthy interviews with him, they worked him out, questioned his football smarts (if he has any) and they had all the opportunity in the world to size him up physically, mentally and talent wise.  

BOTTOM LINE;  THEY DIDN'T FEEL LYNCH WAS WORTH IT.  

Listening to fat mike talk to the new Rutgers coach who was the Ohio state defensive coordinator last year.  The coach said Lee had the most potential of any of the Ohio state guys drafted in the first round.....I like to hear stuff like that

edit.....still listening and he actually used the term "unlimited potential" wow

7 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The smallish linebacker is the new way linebackers are built in this NFL. Macc said last night that he knows that he needs to gain a bit of weight. So I just dont know why people hate this so much

Haven't heard a lot of hate.

The guy looks athletic, quick and has some swagger.

Should give us the speed we need at LB.

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why is that silly? He's a second round draft pick. Don't tell me you are jumping to conclusions based on an injury plagued season?

I think the people who wanted a WR have already, stupidly, given up on Smith and Amaro. Which is stupid.

I havent given up on anything.  I'm just not putting blind faith into a guy who cant stay on the field and didnt show anything to think he can play at this level.  Plus, I dont think Smith is made to play the outside.  Treadwell, Fuller and Docston all can.

Again, god forbid Marshall goes down.  You're good with Smith and Decker?  No.  You're not.

18 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

This bothers me more than passing on the QB. I can live them passing on Lynch, but Lee needs to be very good to pass on some good WR's

Hopefully he is.

22 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The point is that if you project him as a Bobby Wagner or a LaVonte David type player, then it isn't a reach.  Also, the NFL Advisory Committee gave Lee a top 15 grade. 

Yes.  It is.  They were 2nd round picks.  Meaning, you can find their talent in the 2nd round.  Again, its about value.

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I would have preferred Doctsun or Treadwell, but not by a tremendous amount but  never... just no way to Lynch.  But I'm fine with the pick.  

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

praying Lynch develops into something is even sillier.

Cool.  But QB you treat a little differently IMO.  If you're not taking chances, then you're not even trying to win.

I am just thinking about the creative ways bowles will use him. I am looking at the bigger picture. Confusing the qb, He likes creative blitzes, He likes corner blitzes and safety blitzes, I think he will add another wrinkle you have to gameplan for, especially his speed. IS he going to blitz or is it the corner coming this time or maybe he drops back and the safety is the one blitzing. Sure he has lots to learn, but that is what coaches are for and he seems to be a fast learner. They see his potential, you know people who are scouts and coaches, not the average fan. They see that bigger picture of what they can do. On the phone call from bowles to lee, bowles said I told you I will see you again. So it's someone he probably wanted from the get go or maybe he just says that to all his visits.

Just now, JiF said:

Yes.  It is.  They were 2nd round picks.  Meaning, you can find their talent in the 2nd round.  Again, its about value.

Cool.  But QB you treat a little differently IMO.  If you're not taking chances, then you're not even trying to win.

Okay.  Let's find a QB as good as Tom Brady in the 6th round.

7 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Okay.  Let's find a QB as good as Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Haha - nice grab on the most ridiculous outlier in NFL history.  Mayock said it last night, 5 players have had elite seasons at QB drafted past the 2nd round.  

Meanwhile, if you've followed my posts, I've named 6-7 prospects exactly like Lee found in rounds 2-5 over the last 5 years.

Just now, JiF said:

Haha - nice grab on the most ridiculous outlier in NFL history.  Mayock said it last night, 5 players have had elite seasons at QB drafted past the 2nd round.  

Meanwhile, if you've followed my posts, I've named 6-7 prospects exactly like Lee found in rounds 2-5 over the last 5 years.

The logic is still the same.  If you project a guy as a certain type of player (and other teams do, too), then it isn't a reach.  If teams thought Tom Brady was going to be Tom Brady, he wouldn't have lasted until the 6th.  If teams thought Bobby Wagner would be as good as he's turned out to be, he would have gone in the first.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

reaching for need in early rounds of drafts leads to terrible teams.  See the New York Jets from 1990 - 2015. Yet reaching for need is your wish. Thank God you don't pick for the Jets. We had GMs and HC's  like you doing just that in the 90's, 00's and even under Rex, and that is one of the reasons this franchise has been mediocre for 3 decades.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course there's no guarantee...but the risk reward is better than a LB that's only going to play in Nickel situations. (which is what Bowles said)

Bowles also said Geno was our starter last year, how did that work out.  I don't recall him saying he will ONLY play in nickel situations.  Why would he say that before the guy even hits the field?  The point is he CAN play in nickel situations right now and remains to be seen if as a ROOKIE he can win the job outright which is not unreasonable.  

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

He also mentioned quite a few QB's with 2nd round grades that were reached for in the late first not panning out either. 

And Brady would be #1 overall, so what's the point?

It's about value. 

Put it this way.  I dont think Cravens or Wright are that much different than Lee.  We could have them in the 2nd and possibly right now have Lynch or the BAP WR on their board.

Is Lee that good that you're prefer him over that hual? IDK.  We'll find out.

Not sure why the majority of Jets fans can't see your point.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Fair enough. He is definitely not a finished product. But at the end of the day, i believe he will get more playing time than a rookie WR would have or Lynch.

First round you look for instant impact. After that you build depth.

bump

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Not sure why the majority of Jets fans can't see your point.

cause he's wrong, maybe?  It's about value, I agree.  So  why should the Jets make a ridiculous reach for a 2nd/3rd round grade QB when we could have the equivalent or better in the 2nd or 3rd round?  (Cook/Hack).  same exact argument.  If it works in one direction, then it works in the other direction too.  

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

20. New York Jets: Darron Lee | Grade: C-

The Jets go with the athletic Lee who flies around the field, but still has work to do to become the coveted "3-down linebacker." His athleticism does not translate directly to his coverage as he ranked 73rd among linebackers in 2015 after posting a negative grade in 2014. Lee can make plays against the run, using his speed to get to the ball when unblocked, but he’s not special enough in this area to warrant the first-round pick. His best work comes as a blitzer as he can defeat blocks and his +8.2 rush grade was among the best in the nation last year. Ultimately, for Lee to live up to his draft spot, he must get better in coverage.[/QUOTE]

And just who is Steve Palazzolo and why do you think he knows more than Mac (a former scout) and the entire NEW jet scouting staff???  Because it fits with your view?  There are FAR more positive grades than negative but you make the point of finding the negative (or agrees with your assessment).   I swear, this forum is a Psychologists wet dream. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

And just who is Steve Palazzolo and why do you think he knows more than Mac (a former scout) and the entire NEW jet scouting staff???  Because it fits with your view?  There are FAR more positive grades than negative but you make the point of finding the negative (or agrees with your assessment).   I swear, this forum is a Psychologists wet dream. 

all the butt-hurt fans that wanted the jets to revert to the SOJ style of drafting and REACH for Lynch are desperate to find anything they can to support their terribly wealk argument.  Nearly every pundit, known and unknown is praising the Jets, so of course one of these Lynchkin fans here would dig up one that agrees with them.

I can't believe I am takng this side of the argument when I so very much WANT a QB and would have preferred Doctsun to Lee.  And yet, the Lynchkin arguments on this site today are so stupid and so logically flawed that I can't let that go.  There's a lot of stupid around these parts today.  It's almost like we are back on Usenet forums.  I suppose I shoould change my screen name back to "Tutor" too.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

all the butt-hurt fans that wanted the jets to revert to the SOJ style of drafting and REACH for Lynch are desperate to find anything they can to support their terribly wealk argument.  Nearly every pundit, known and unknown is praising the Jets, so of course one of these Lynchkin fans here would dig up one that agrees with them.

I can't believe I am takng this side of the argument when I so very much WANT a QB and would have preferred Doctsun to Lee.  And yet, the Lynchkin arguments on this site today are so stupid and so logically flawed that I can't let that go.  There's a lot of stupid around these parts today.  It's almost like we are back on Usenet forums.  I suppose I shoould change my screen name back to "Tutor" too.

The interesting thing is we already have a developmental quarterback going into his second season.  We all know Lynch would not have started his first year so he would be competing against Petty in year two who would then have two years in the system, perhaps even seeing some live game action.  Why does everyone automatically assume that Lynch would beat out Petty??  I like the kids attitude and upside; I don't get caught up in round he was drafted, he is a Jet now and it all comes down to what you do on the field. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why is that silly? He's a second round draft pick. Don't tell me you are jumping to conclusions based on an injury plagued season?

I think the people who wanted a WR have already, stupidly, given up on Smith and Amaro. Which is stupid.

Smith has a very good chance to start the season on partial season IR

56 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Don't be a dumb ass.  I posted a negative rating in response to someone saying all the pundit ratings were positive; obviously that's not true.  I have no idea who Steve Palazzolo is but he is from PFF who for what it is worth provides some metrics behind their analysis.  His grade is about as valid as all the other positive grades you referenced.  I didn't know this thread was limited to those who just wanted to have a Lee dick sucking contest.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Well, with no QB worth a crap in sight, Lee had better be good and in shape.  Because our D is going to be on the field a whole lot.

Where is this sentiment coming from? I'm serious. What don't they have this year they did have last year? i see what could be upgrades at LT and RB, they got their TE back and will probably have some mediocre QB starting..

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

reaching for need in early rounds of drafts leads to terrible teams.  See the New York Jets from 1990 - 2015. Yet reaching for need is your wish. Thank God you don't pick for the Jets. We had GMs and HC's  like you doing just that in the 90's, 00's and even under Rex, and that is one of the reasons this franchise has been mediocre for 3 decades.

The franchise has been mediocre because the QBs have been mediocre. I could probably whip up a chart or an infographic proving this.

2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Don't be a dumb ass.  I posted a negative rating in response to someone saying all the pundit ratings were positive; obviously that's not true.  I have no idea who Steve Palazzolo is but he is from PFF who for what it is worth provides some metrics behind their analysis.  His grade is about as valid as all the other positive grades you referenced.  I didn't know this thread was limited to those who just wanted to have a Lee dick sucking contest.

And some other dumbass has a thread saying all the pundits think it was a bad pick.  Who gives a shlt what a few assclowns think? 

3 hours ago, legler82 said:

What's creative about it?  Rex did the exact same thing with Coples and so did Bowles for a while.  Once Coples was released Richardson was "routinely" our starting ROLB.  It may not appear as so only because we run a lot more sub packages like most teams in the NFL.  The point is that it shows a coach who is not willing to change his scheme around his personnel JUST LIKE Rex before him, Mangini before Rex, Herm before Rex even back to Parcells.  All are good defensive coaches but none showed the willingness change their scheme to fit their personnel.  Guys that run the 3-4 will always run that as their base and stick square pegs in round holes just to keep that line up.  Same goes with 4-3 guys, WCO guys on offense...etc...etc.. The only coach that has displayed the flexibility you speak of is maybe Bellicheat.

This is pure nonsense.

And Bellicheat was here as Parcells DC, so.....

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

And how many games will he put the team on his back and carry them to victory?

That's what QB's do, not under-sized LB's.

Presuming you had the ability to get that QB in the spot you drafted Lee you would have a point.

But you're just throwing out cliches to troll a Jet board about a player you wouldn't know if he sat down next to you in his OSU jersey.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

And some other dumbass has a thread saying all the pundits think it was a bad pick.  Who gives a shlt what a few assclowns think? 

I don't even think it's a bad pick but I hate the extremist on either side that can't have meaningful football discussion/debate about a decision.  On one side you have the GM honeymooners who thinks the "new" GM can't do no wrong at the moment and shouldn't be questioned at all and on the other side you have to SOJ folks who will never be happy.  There's also the folks that are mad that their specific player was not drafted. 

Archived