AFC Playoff Predictions

Fibonacci

Here is how I see it playing out. 

Jets will win the East. (joewilly says Jets are sleeper team but I think he is the one sleeping. Jets are the favorites and they will sweep the Pats this year)

Steelers will win the North

Colts will win the South

Broncos will win the West

Oakland, Texans, Patriots, Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens will fight for Wild Card spot. 

I don't see the rest to make a noise. 

How do you think it will play out? Bring it on people. 

PS: It is still August people. I know we won't know much until we are 5 or 6 weeks into the season but what else do you want to talk about? 

26 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Here is how I see it playing out. 

Jets will win the East. (joewilly says Jets are sleeper team but I think he is the one sleeping. Jets are the favorites and they will sweep the Pats this year)

Steelers will win the North

Colts will win the South

Broncos will win the West

Oakland, Texans, Patriots, Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens will fight for Wild Card spot. 

I don't see the rest to make a noise. 

How do you think it will play out? Bring it on people. 

PS: It is still August people. I know we won't know much until we are 5 or 6 weeks into the season but what else do you want to talk about? 

I sleep with 1 eye open and I see good things from this team that many underestimate the talent and the coaching is there to make something happen.

44 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

1. Steelers

2. Bengals

3. Raiders

4. Jags

5. Texans 

6. Pats/ Bills /Jets 

Broncos will miss the playoffs, and probably so will the Chiefs with all those teams beating the crap out of each other .

the bills are going to be sh*t

I think on average the playoff teams experience turnover of 2-3 teams per year

here are last years teams;

broncos, cheatahs, chiefs, bengals, steelers, texans

my gut feeling this year is

division winners;

Jets

Jags

Bengals

Chiefs

W/C pats and steelers

1. Steelers

2. raiders ( most well rounded team in the division- offense and defense together better than other teams two units. Best offenseline, and will have the most sacks in the division.

3. Texans

4 Patriots ( 4 games Brady misses)

Those are your division winners 

5 Bengals

6 . Kc Chiefs. 

Wild card team.

I don't see a WC team coming from the AFC South ... it's not a strong division to start with, and they play the AFC West and NFC North. I think this is a "winner only" division, and I'll take the Colts to be that winner. Houston are a definite possibility, with a new QB with a lot to prove, but I see them finishing a close second. Jags third, Titans 4th. Winner gets #4 seed.

AFC West is up for grabs, and could be the most compelling division this year. Denver are only likely to regress, and with KC and Oakland you have three legit challengers. Only non-runner I see here is SD. Right now I'll plump for KC winning it, with Oakland a very close second. Like with the South, I wouldn't be surprised if these two finish the other way round. I think one WC team will come from here, as the West plays the two South divisions, and outside of the Panthers I don't see a real elite team on that schedule. Winner is AFC #1 seed.

AFC North I don't see being as strong as in the past ... Cinci and Pitt will be the top dogs, but Baltimore have too many holes and injury concerns for my liking. And Cleveland are likely in the draw for the #1 pick. I'll go with Cinci winning and Pitt second, due to suspensions and seemingly being unable to go a year without injuries. Winner is #2 seed.

AFC East ... boy I'd like to pick the Jets to win it all but I'm going to stick with the Pasteriks as #3 seed ... Jets finish a close second again. 

I've already got a WC team from the West (Oakland) and ruled out the South ... last spot is between North (Steelers) and East (Jets). Could come down to the head to head from Week 5. Head says Steelers (they draw the underwhelming NFC East while we get the West). Heart says Jets (obviously). I'll go with heart and have Jets @ 6 seed. First playoff game - @ New England. Bring it on! :D 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

AFCE - Patriots

AFCW - Raiders

AFCN - Bengals

AFCS - Texans

Wild Card:

Colts, Steelers

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Pats, Steelers, Colts, Broncos win divisions.

Raiders and Bengals wildcards.  Ravens finish close, but out.

Jets finish 9-7 (maybe 8-8) and out.

Some version of these two. 

I don't have a good feel for who will take the North.  I agree out west should be the most compelling divisional race.  You know KC will be solid again.  Great CS and a dependable Qb and running game.  And Denver still as that great D if they can sort out Qb. Says here they won't, although Lynch could do it.  But it's really the Raiders who could be interesting and win it over KC.

Other interesting AFC teams I think will be Jacksonville (finally) and Houston.  Of the two I would bet more on Jville, but not clear whether they pass the Colts.  Don't be surprised of they do.

Jets v. Pats likely will be settled early.  If the Jets can win with Brady out and hopefully the Pats lose some games, it might be enough.

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Some version of these two. 

I think you could basically swap the Bengals/Steelers.  That will be tight but the Bengals seem more consistent on a week to week basis.

I think the South is going to be a tight race and I could see any combo of the Colts, Texans and Jags getting in.  I love what the Jags have done but need to see it on the field before I go putting them in the playoffs.

I really dont see the Broncos having a great season.  Too many key departures and questions at QB.

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

I really dont see the Broncos having a great season.  Too many key departures and questions at QB.

They're certainly flaunting the "you must have a veteran back QB" mantra all too often hammer about here at JN, aren't they?

If the Jets ran like the Broncos, we'd be looking at Fitz/Petty/Hack this year.  Pretty on-par with Sanchez/whatshisface/Lynch.

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I sleep with 1 eye open and I see good things from this team that many underestimate the talent and the coaching is there to make something happen.

Plus we have a secret weapon in Geno as the backup QB.. He's probably the best backup QB since Steve Young or Aaron Rogers were to Montana and Farve.. :)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Pats, Steelers, Colts, Broncos win divisions.

Raiders and Bengals wildcards.  Ravens finish close, but out.

Jets finish 9-7 (maybe 8-8) and out.

Wow, you're predicting Fitz will fail badly.  I am surprised

Am I the only one who thinks the Ravens will finish similarly to how they did last year? They're getting all those injured players back, but they're all old. Suggs is old, Smith is old (both coming off achilles injuries), they lost      Oseleme, Perriman is anything but a sure thing. He also had awful hands at school. They brought in Mike Wallace but he couldn't even pass a physical. They'll still have a good front7, and probably have a good OL, but that's just about it. I guess signing Weddle helps, but they're still fairly weak at CB. I'm intrigued by their rookie RB Dixon, but I have them finishing in the 5-6 win category. They were pretty terrible before Flacco got hurt. They really shouldn't be any match for us...

Then again, this is the Jets.

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We'll lose another AFC Championship game to the Colts who go on to lose to the Packers in the Super Bowl.

Bummer.

Bummer?  That would make for one hell of an entertaining season.  I'd sign up for that now. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

AFCE - Patriots

AFCW - Raiders

AFCN - Bengals

AFCS - Texans

Wild Card:

Colts, Steelers

This is pretty much how I see it. Except, I think the Jets and Chiefs make it in. 

AFCE- Pats/Jets (I think they end up with the same record and it will come down to a tiebreaker)

AFCW- Raiders

AFCN- Bengals

AFCS- Texans

Wild Card: Pats/Jets, Chiefs

With all the talk of the killer schedule the Jets have been handed. Let's not forget that the Pats have a tough schedule as well. The Jets and Pats actually play a lot of the same teams. Dolphins x2, Bills x2, each other x2, Seahawks, Niners, Rams, Steelers, Bengals, Browns, Cards, Ravens. Only dif. is they play the Broncos while we play the Chiefs. They play the Texans while we play the Colts. 

Apart from the obvious difference at QB. The Jets clearly have a better defense and more offensive weapons. But the Pats are also going without Tom Brady the first 4 games. 

My point is, I really don't see why its so hard to believe that the Jets can win the division this year ahead of the Pats. 

Sunday, September 11 at Arizona Cardinals 8:30pm NBC
Sunday, September 18 Miami Dolphins 1:00pm CBS
Thursday, September 22 Houston Texans 8:25pm CBS/NFLN/Twitter
Sunday, October 2 Buffalo Bills 1:00pm CBS
Sunday, October 9 at Cleveland Browns* 1:00pm CBS
Sunday, October 16 Cincinnati Bengals* 1:00pm CBS
Sunday, October 23 at Pittsburgh Steelers* 4:25pm CBS
Sunday, October 30 at Buffalo Bills* 1:00pm CBS
  BYE    
Sunday, November 13 Seattle Seahawks* 8:30pm NBC
Sunday, November 20 at San Francisco 49ers* 4:25pm CBS
Sunday, November 27 at New York Jets* 8:30pm NBC
Sunday, December 4 Los Angeles Rams* 1:00pm FOX
Monday, December 12 Baltimore Ravens 8:30pm ESPN
Sunday, December 18 at Denver Broncos* 4:25pm CBS
Saturday, December 24 New York Jets 1:00pm CBS
Sunday, January 1 at Miami Dolphins* 1:00pm CBS

It's so hard in the NFL to maintain the sort of defensive dominance Denver showed last season in consecutive seasons, math and history suggests they won't keep it up. And Oakland seems to be everyone's sleeper team, which means they'll probably come up short because the consensus sleeper usually does. My pick to surprise some people would be San Diego; despite the record I think more than half their losses were pretty close last year and Rivers can still ball. Parity suggests they'll eek out some of the games that they lose last year. The Steelers rarely make the playoffs 3 years in a row for some reason, but it's actually been a thing for like 18 years now so I'll stick with trends.

Pats

Bengals

Colts

Chargers

And for the two Wild Cards I'll take Denver and...Cleveland. Because why not. Things seem to be going right for that city this year and this sh*t tends to happen in bunches in sports.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

They're certainly flaunting the "you must have a veteran back QB" mantra all too often hammer about here at JN, aren't they?

If the Jets ran like the Broncos, we'd be looking at Fitz/Petty/Hack this year.  Pretty on-par with Sanchez/whatshisface/Lynch.

If the Jets ran like the Broncos, they would've drafted Paxton Lynch and given Fitz $7M for a one year deal. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

If the Jets ran like the Broncos, they would've drafted Paxton Lynch and given Fitz $7M for a one year deal. 

If the Jets ran like the Broncos we would have signed Mark Sanchez to lead our offense for 1 year, $4.5M.

Clearly, we're not the Broncos.

The way I see the divisions going it will be:

NE

pitt

houston

KC

wildcard: cinci/denver

i really want to pick the jags to take the south this year, they have a loaded roster but I believe houston has more experience on their side. raiders in that same category, maybe a little too green to make the step to the next level but maybe a year away from making some noise

7 hours ago, BroadwayJets said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Ravens will finish similarly to how they did last year? They're getting all those injured players back, but they're all old. Suggs is old, Smith is old (both coming off achilles injuries), they lost      Oseleme, Perriman is anything but a sure thing. He also had awful hands at school. They brought in Mike Wallace but he couldn't even pass a physical. They'll still have a good front7, and probably have a good OL, but that's just about it. I guess signing Weddle helps, but they're still fairly weak at CB. I'm intrigued by their rookie RB Dixon, but I have them finishing in the 5-6 win category. They were pretty terrible before Flacco got hurt. They really shouldn't be any match for us...

Then again, this is the Jets.

I think the ravens will be better than last year but not good enough to make the playoffs with cincinatti and pitt in the division 

AFC North: Pittsburgh. The steelers might possibly have one of the best offenses ever this season. Barring injury, I fully expect them to win this division. Cincy will most likely take a step back due to the absence of Hue Jackson, I also don't believe that Andy Dalton will perform better or even equal to last year. Ravens are hard to predict, I see them anywhere from a 9-7::6-10 team. Browns will be lucky to win 3 games. 

AFC South: Indianapolis. In my opinion the Colts on paper are more talented than the rest of the division. Plain & Simple. Jags are definitely a sleeper team but I think it will take a full season or two to put it all together. For Houston, I'm not sold on Osweiler at all, mix that with the uncertainty of JJ Watt's back, I do not think they have what it takes to dethrone the colts again. Tennessee will be bottom feeding with the Browns. 

AFC West: Oakland. My full time sleeper team of 2016. I think this team is a couple years away from a superbowl championship, if that. I'm very big on them. I think Carr will take the next step, once again. Amari Cooper will become an elite receiver, and Khalil Mack will anchor the defense to a divisional championship. Kansas City is overrated, their SOS was piss poor last season. I'm looking at them to be 9-7 at best. Denver is hard to predict with the QB situation but i expect them to be 9-7 team, just because their defense is that good. SD will be non-competitive once again. 

AFC East. New England. Out of all seasons, I have never been this optimistic about the Jets possibly winning a division title buttttttttttt........ I just can't see it happening yet. Although I expect a really close finish. Jets will give the Pats a run for their money, I think this might be the most balanced roster we've had in a very long time. Anything can happen. Buffalo will be the one of the most penalized teams in football, and will underachieve . Rex will also be a coordinator or broadcaster in the fall of 2017. Miami, really showed me nothing last year, and with the first year coach, I wouldn't be shocked if they're the ones at the bottom of the totem pole once again this season. 

WC: Jets, Cincy

Archived