Antonio Allen Is Back

KRL

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I was hoping he might be back when I saw he was released the other day, this is a nice depth signing. Didn't realize he had a torn Achilles last season though. Hopefully he's 100%.

Jets signed S Antonio Allen.

It's a reunion, as Allen was a 2012 seventh-round pick of the Jets. He started 17 games between 2013-14. He missed all of last season with a torn Achilles', and couldn't make the Texans' 53-man roster in camp. Allen will probably be limited to special teams for the time being.

Sep 6 - 7:15 PM

No one ever regains all of their athleticism after that injury.  

Got to say Allen is one of my favorite "long shot" players from a few years ago.   LB'er made a successful conversion to S.  Looked really good covering TE's

Moronic FO's management actually left him as the 2nd best "cover" guy on the team .   Now he's a CB.  lol

Then he blew his foot up.   Really glad to see him back.  Think he's the type of player that Bowles can make very functional.   Wish he was in camp all summer.

And yes, he's an excellent ST'er.  That's how he got his shot as a retrained S

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Always liked him and he was promising until someone took his reps away for Ed Reed and switched him

between S & CB:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-sign-safety-antonio-allen/199869748

I did too thought he was a good player for us. Real team player switched to CB to help the team due to injuries. He had a role similar to what they want to do with D. Lee. Good guy and always want to root for them. Welcome back AA.

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You've got Antonio Allen listed as a S/LB?

I thought he was more S/CB. Wasn't he a FS originally?

Could be wrong. I get your point though about positional versatility. It's a good thing.

Initially in college he was a LB. Kind of a long time ago since he turns 28 in a couple of weeks, but still it's out there.

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He is exactly what a team hopes for with a late round pick.  We all seem to be on board with a big welcome back.

Enough posters here already blame REX for his demise, I wont beat that horse.

13 hours ago, funaz said:

He sucks

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Ahem...

Good pick up for the jets, vet depth and as with others I always liked the guy,   (Some pretty revisionist feelings re when rex made him a CB though, half the board thought it was the greatest idea ever after he had a couple decent games there in pre season.)

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You've got Antonio Allen listed as a S/LB?

I thought he was more S/CB. Wasn't he a FS originally?

Could be wrong. I get your point though about positional versatility. It's a good thing.

He was a rover in college and played more in the box. It was a Rex idea to play him at CB against bigger WRs when they had injuries. He played well at times as a corner but probably will be more inside closer to the line and potentially a good match up against certain, bigger TEs for the Jets....as his career highlights this far was a game or two against Gronk..

Well,  I recall this one crazy poster who stated all this a year ago:

On March 13, 2015 at 0:17 AM, Gas2No99 said:

With today's Pass happy NFL bias & officiating, deploying 5 DBs may be the new base defense. If this is the case tweeners- like Antonio Allen- or lumbering safeties like Jarrett have more utility to be able to run with a 4th WR or be big & STRONG enough to take on the AFCEast new infusion of talented BiG TEs for 2015

On May 31, 2015 at 10:52 PM, Gas2No99 said:

Your main atrackimg LBs in this defense will be Dime Backers in the mold of Pryor, Antonio Allen, & Jaqwan Jarrett disguising coverages & being the blitzers from EITHER side of the secondary. See Deone Bucannon.

Today's pass-happy NFL requires more DBs and we actually have a solid stock of SS that are the modern LB of Goodell's NFL.

Allen was what we LACKED last year and drafted Lee for. in 2016: a LB body tackler with coverage skills to handle the TEs & RBs in this league.

CALLED IT! Love this move as a KEY Sub-Package Blitz personnel & ST Gunner signing. :D

On 9/7/2016 at 10:33 AM, whodeawhodat said:

real question is where is Jaquan Jarret aka JJ. get the band(of back ups) back together.

He is still a free agent but not sure the Jets would want him back after he basically ended Devin Smith's career on a cheap shot hit from behind in practice drills

Glad to have AA back, seems like he should be a good fit for Bowles defense

On September 6, 2016 at 7:01 PM, KRL said:

Always liked him and he was promising until someone took his reps away for Ed Reed and switched him

between S & CB:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-sign-safety-antonio-allen/199869748

I always liked him as well. He shows just how incompetent Idzik was when the Jets had to make him starting CB in 2014, a position he really didn't know how to play, while Idzik didn't even bother to look for another CB and passed up on Flowers

Archived