Robbie Anderson's League Leading Stats During Preseason.

Villain The Foe

I heard this a few hours ago and it actually shocked me. 

Robbie Anderson during the preseason. 

1st in receiving yards

5th in receptions

1st in yards per catch average of WR's with a minimum of 10 receptions. (33 receivers had 10 or more receptions this preseason)

2nd in yards per game (of guys who've played in more than 1 game)

1st in Touchdowns 

1st in plays of 20+ yards

1st in plays of 40+ yards

1st in amount of 1st downs. 

77 % of his catches converted for 1st downs. 

This kid pretty much smoked the competition. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I heard this a few hours ago and it actually shocked me. 

Robbie Anderson during the preseason. 

1st in receiving yards

5th in receptions

1st in yards per catch average of WR's with a minimum of 10 receptions. (33 receivers had 10 or more receptions this preseason)

2nd in yards per game (of guys who've played in more than 1 game)

1st in Touchdowns 

1st in plays of 20+ yards

1st in plays of 40+ yards

1st in amount of 1st downs. 

77 % of his catches converted for 1st downs. 

This kid pretty much smoked the competition. 

You forgot:

1st in fan orgasms while watching him play.

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I missed a lot of the preseason. But excited about the "excitement" over this kid.

Any player comparisons between him and current or former players, as far as physical attributes and skill set would be appreciated. 

Anderson is 6'3" 190 lbs. 4.34-40

I'd say MAAAAAYBE Eddie Kennison who was drafted by the Rams in 1996 18th overall out of LSU.

Eddie was 6'1" 190 lbs. 4.28-40 SPEEEED demon & had a respectable, but nothing special, NFL career mostly with the Chiefs. 

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Wesley Walker 

Wesley was MAYBE 6'0" 179 lbs. Anderson has significant height over Walker and I never recall Walker being able to "Climb the ladder" to snatch a pass at its high point. Kenny O just BOMBED it deep since #85 was already PAST everyone!:D

In terms of comparing to a NY Jet, than probably Walker - or even Jon Carter or Chris Burkett. I'd still say Kennison in terms of height, frame, and "ladder climbing"

Preseason means nothing. But what DOES mean something is that these didn't come from him just running by a bunch of third stringers blowing coverages. These came from him making seamless HAND catches in traffic against NFL-caliber competition.

43 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Wesley was MAYBE 6'0" 179 lbs. Anderson has significant height over Walker and I never recall Walker being able to "Climb the ladder" to snatch a pass at its high point. Kenny O just BOMBED it deep since #85 was already PAST everyone!:D

In terms of comparing to a NY Jet, than probably Walker - or even Jon Carter or Chris Burkett. I'd still say Kennison in terms of height, frame, and "ladder climbing"

Walker made Todd look good too, who also bombed it deep to Walker, often underthrowing him  But he caught tons and tons of underneath stuff too,  because the D had to respect his speed and played off the line of scrimmage. Don't dare turn this great Jet into a one dimensional player. He did it all.

4 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Walker made Todd look good too, who also bombed it deep to Walker, often underthrowing him  But he caught tons and tons of underneath stuff too,  because the D had to respect his speed and played off the line of scrimmage. Don't dare turn this great Jet into a one dimensional player. He did it all.

Well, in all fairness, when I started watching the Jets in '86, Walker was primarily the deep threat and MA BOY! Toon did most of the underneath work and THEN would BLOW PAST EVERYONE with his deceptive deep speed.

I stared watching Walker when he was CLEARLY in his decline over the last four years of '86-'89.

Wow. Very cool stats.

Interesting thing just popped into my head. Remember Stevie Anderson (same last name) and his preseasons for the Jets in the 90's?  We were calling that guy Forest Gump because he just ran by the defenses in preseason. He was the first player given Toon's 88 and all the talk was that he was going to earn those double 8's.  Problem was when the regular season came along he disappeared in the same way David Clowny did in later years.

So with those damaging memories behind me I will reserve judgment on how great this guy is, but we only have now and for now he was the best WR in preseason. Not too shabby here. Hope it translates to real season stats for the Jets for once.

8 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

We don't even need Anderson to be great during the season - if he can just come in and help out, be a solid NFL receiver,  and catch a few passes here and there, he will be a great addition to the team 

Disagree .  There will be a game and most probably games , where there is an  injury and he will be a starter

36 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Disagree .  There will be a game and most probably games , where there is an  injury and he will be a starter

He could be the player Chan was looking for in Devin Smith last year.

41 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He could be the player Chan was looking for in Devin Smith last year.

Absolutely. And with Smith's injury, he may never become that guy we drafted him to be. So if we get that guy anyway with Anderson, it softens the blow.

Best case, both pan out and we have that "nice problem to have". :-)

Incidentally, he was listed on Daniel Jeremiah's Top 20 Rookies list on NFL.com. Not bad for an UDFA, I'm surprised no-one else picked up on this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000696218/article/dak-prescott-vernon-hargreaves-headline-initial-rookie-rankings

20) Robby Anderson, WR, New York Jets: This is a reward for an outstanding preseason. I didn't know much about Anderson two weeks ago, but I came away extremely impressed after studying his work this preseason. The undrafted free agent from Temple dominated opponents. He showed suddenness off the line, exploded out of the break point and caught the ball flawlessly. He wasn't playing against top-level competition, but Anderson jumped off the tape with his performance. I think he could have a role for the Jets this fall. I'm a fan.

7 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Well, in all fairness, when I started watching the Jets in '86, Walker was primarily the deep threat and MA BOY! Toon did most of the underneath work and THEN would BLOW PAST EVERYONE with his deceptive deep speed.

I stared watching Walker when he was CLEARLY in his decline over the last four years of '86-'89.

Yes, in his prime, before Toon arrived, he played with Todd who I despised.  He caught stuff all over the field, but I was always worried that he might get hurt cause he was like a graceful but fragile gazelle causing me to cringe every time he took a big hit.

9 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Preseason means nothing. But what DOES mean something is that these didn't come from him just running by a bunch of third stringers blowing coverages. These came from him making seamless HAND catches in traffic against NFL-caliber competition.

Great post.  If you watch this kid he has very smooth hands....and he's been able to make those catches while covered.  And that's what makes a high caliber NFL WR.  Can you make plays when you're tightly covered.  With Anderson he's shown he can.

9 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Seamless Hand catches.  Nice!

I'd love to see him get a real chance to play regular season. But with Jalin Marshall ahead of him on the depth chart that is a possible signal that he won't be activated on Sunday. Because Jalin is our KR. I've seen it before when teams don't play good receivers because they don't have special teams duties. Look you aren't seeing our elite receivers on STs. So why does our 3rd or 4th guy have to be on STs to play. I guess if we suit up 5 receivers it would be between Anderson and Peake to suit up. 

I have to admit, I was wrong about Anderson.  I thought he needed to put on weight for sure, before he would stick on the roster.  He runs decent routes and seems to have good hands.  

This haul of WRs in this draft definitely has to be promising, because I feel like we got way more talent than the Idzik 12 draft when we picked up 3 WRs as well.  

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'd love to see him get a real chance to play regular season. But with Jalin Marshall ahead of him on the depth chart that is a possible signal that he won't be activated on Sunday. Because Jalin is our KR. I've seen it before when teams don't play good receivers because they don't have special teams duties. Look you aren't seeing our elite receivers on STs. So why does our 3rd or 4th guy have to be on STs to play. I guess if we suit up 5 receivers it would be between Anderson and Peake to suit up. 

The Jets only have 7 WRs on the roster. I highly doubt any of them will be inactive, especially with BM having a cranky hip and Decker almost always getting banged up. Plus, Enunwa is just getting healthy as well.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

They're different types of players.  But like with Smith, Fitzpatrick can't push the ball down the field to Anderson.

The difference is Anderson is a better route runner, who can take the short pass and can use his speed to gain YAC. That is an area Smith needs to improve on.  Anderson is also is taller, and can go up and get the ball better than Smith; that high point catching ability also makes him a better red zone threat.  For the record I  think Smith is going to be a hell of a player, but they really are two different kinds of receivers. 

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Don't sleep on Peake... he may not have had the preseason Anderson had, but he was pretty damn impressive too. 

Lol, I am well aware of Mr. Peake. I root for Clemaon?. He also has great hands and feet. That TD pass he caught from Geno in PS Game 1 was something most rookies cannot make. His foot placement was astonishing.

6 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The difference is Anderson is a better route runner, who can take the short pass and can use his speed to gain YAC. That is an area Smith needs to improve on.  Anderson is also is taller, and can go up and get the ball better than Smith; that high point catching ability also makes him a better red zone threat.  For the record I  think Smith is going to be a hell of a player, but they really are two different kinds of receivers. 

Yes, but Fitzpatrick doesn't even have the arm to throw jump balls down the field.  Almost all of the deep balls he threw to Smith were behind Smith, not 50-50 jump balls.   Marshall and Decker are perfect for Fitzpatrick because they're monsters who do most of their damage within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Decker, who is pretty good at getting deep, didn't have one catch over 40 yards last year.

Archived