Ray Rice Training Hard for NFL Comeback

joewilly12

By Matt Lombardo | For NJ Advance Media 
Follow on Twitter 
on September 14, 2016 at 10:56 AM, updated September 14, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Rutgers product and former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice could be on the verge of an NFL comeback and as a result is working out like a fiend. 

According to TMZ Sports, Rice has been training hard in recent weeks and reports surfaced Sunday via ESPN's Adam Schefter that there is growing interest across the league in signing the 2008 second-round draft choice: 

"Ray Rice hit the gym HARD Tuesday -- continuing to train to play in the NFL this season ... and sources tell TMZ Sports multiple teams are inquiring about him.  

The 29-year-old hit up BlueStreak Sports Training facility in Stamford, CT yesterday -- and grinded out a pretty intense workout complete with an oxygen deprivation mask. He looks good."

NFL power rankings

NFL power rankings

Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Broncos, Seahawks all in the mix for top spot.

Rice has been out of the league after video surfaced of him violently punching his then-fiancee and now wife in an Atlantic City elevator that initially drew a two-game suspension but later led to his release from the Baltimore Ravens and indefinite ban from the NFL

Prior to being released by the Ravens and later suspended indefinitely by the NFL in 2014, Rice made three trips to the Pro Bowl during his six-year career and could find himself back on a roster in the near future. 

The 5-foot-9, 195 pound running back has rushed for 1,430 yards and 37 touchdowns. 

Earlier this year, Rice said that he was so committed to returning to the game that he would even play in Antarctica, in a video released by TMZ of him walking into a workout: 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like when people commit a crime or do something incredibly mean calling it a mistake. It lets them off the hook like saying that anybody can make a mistake and that it's almost normal behavior. It happens a lot in our society but most of us don't go there. But I do believe in second chances and think that Ray deserves one. Unless there is evidence that Ray is an habitual wife beater and has a history of assaulting people if this was a single event IMO he deserves a chance.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't like when people commit a crime or do something incredibly mean calling it a mistake. It lets them off the hook like saying that anybody can make a mistake and that it's almost normal behavior. It happens a lot in our society but most of us don't go there. But I do believe in second chances and think that Ray deserves one. Unless there is evidence that Ray is an habitual wife beater and has a history of assaulting people if this was a single event IMO he deserves a chance.

Boy I'm glad you weren't my High School Principal or especially my College Dean.

I have been given multiple chances in life..... It's called "GRACE"

Ray and his wife were drunk and he did a terrible thing.

She's chosen to forgive him.... who are you to condemn the man?

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Boy I'm glad you weren't my High School Principal or especially my College Dean.

did you read Rangers9 entire post ?

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I agree but crimes aren't mistakes. We all have the ability to put a halt to a crime. Whether it be an assault, a rape or a murder, etc. If you rip somebody off like apparently Wells Fargo Bank did it's not a mistake. I did say in Ray's case I think he should be forgiven. But a guy like Rae Carruth. He got exactly what he deserved. Look we've all been put into situations where we've wanted to hurt somebody. But there is a line. He crossed it but he doesn't deserve to be blackballed. 

Let me preface this by saying Rice is almost assuredly a bad person.

With that said, what he did is between him and his wife (A) and him and the law (B).

Both have been handled.

I see no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play again, nor why a 2nd chance shouldn't be given.

For an appropriate amount, appropriate length and with appropriate clauses.

No problem if the Jets want to give him a tryout.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Joe,

he is radioactive.  He will never play again.  You might as well be hoping for Curtis Martin to come back

let it go

Why?

Ray Lewis was complicit in a murder of two people.  He played a dozen years after the vent.

Donte Stallworth and Leonard Little killed people (vehicular homicide) and played after doing time.

PacMan Jones.  Randy Gregory.  The list is long of players that did things just as bad or worse.  I think it is more talent than anything else because he has down his time. 

I think the second chance/other people did worse argument is another topic altogether. What I'm talking about is the media and the guaranteed negative publicity this will bring. Tim Tebow wasn't worth the media headache and he's a nice guy. You want that times 5 for a guy who, at this point, might be just as bad as Tebow was?

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Let me preface this by saying Rice is almost assuredly a bad person.

With that said, what he did is between him and his wife (A) and him and the law (B).

Both have been handled.

I see no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play again, nor why a 2nd chance shouldn't be given.

For an appropriate amount, appropriate length and with appropriate clauses.

No problem if the Jets want to give him a tryout.

advertising dollars run football.  whoever signs him faces a sh*tstorm of sponsor losses

simple economics

5 hours ago, Jet9 said:

'Second chances', 'People make mistakes', et al.

Whatever team signs him is asking for a sh*tstorm from the media, and they'll get it too. 

San Fran should sign him ... After all , controversy doesn't negatively impact the team ... It creates unity right?

20 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

San Fran doesn't need him and is 1-0. Doesn't seem to be any negative impact to anything happening there at all right now. 

What?  You don't think that kneeling during a song and beating the sh*t out of a woman are similar???

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Also, wondering how many "2nd chance" folks would feel that way if it were their daughter/sister/mother on the business end of that video?

I can tell you her family stands behind him.  If it was my daughter I don't think I could forgive but they have.  he's doing good things in raising awareness, he understands he may never play again and knows a second chance isn't a given but behind the scenes he has worked hard to spread the message of what not to do, to not do what he did and whether he gets that chance or not he will continue to do that but if he does get that chance he will bring that message to many more people and it will be a good thing.

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Of course it was a one time thing.  Right up to the next time. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I can tell you her family stands behind him.  If it was my daughter I don't think I could forgive but they have.  he's doing good things in raising awareness, he understands he may never play again and knows a second chance isn't a given but behind the scenes he has worked hard to spread the message of what not to do, to not do what he did and whether he gets that chance or not he will continue to do that but if he does get that chance he will bring that message to many more people and it will be a good thing.

They're behind him hoping he signs a NFL contract.  

Archived