Reason For Dunbar Firing?

KRL

Found this, if this is true the more dysfunction in BUF the better.  To think they took the word of Dareus over Dunbar:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/18/lynn-succeed-bills-oc-must-put-players-scheme/

Regardless of Ryan's insistence that he made the call on parting ways with Roman, team owners Terry and Kim Pegula were very much involved. Anyone who believes that, for the sake of "continuity," they'll simply sit idly by as things go sideways with their football team is delusional. Their unhappiness with the offense dated back to last season, when the Bills ranked 21st in the league in third-down conversions, and that came up in a Friday morning meeting with Ryan. The first two games merely elevated their concern.

Multiple media reports said the Pegulas also spoke with some of the Bills' offensive players Friday morning without Ryan present. That the people who sign the checks conducted a fact-finding mission of their own makes perfect sense given the considerable financial investment in the roster, especially the potential for that investment to grow significantly if they allow Taylor's five-year, $90-million contract extension to kick in.

It is known that Terry was all ears when Marcell Dareus complained to him early in the offseason about defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, who then was fired even after the Bills had already added a guaranteed roll-over year to his original two-year contract.

I'm sure this is how the situation went:

- Dunbar sees Dareus not taking his craft seriously and gets all over him.
And starts coaching him up hard

- Dareus doesn't like it and goes to ownership to complain

- Ownership "suggests" to Ryan to make a change

- Ryan throws Dunbar under the bus to keep everybody happy

- Dareus then gets suspended for drugs (validating why Dunbar was all over
him)

Rinse and repeat as the Ryan trainwreck express continues down the track

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

him)

Nailed it. 

Ryan will throw any assistant under the bus to keep his job, probably up to his brother and Weeks.  Not gonna work past week 17, but for now. Who knows though; if this gets worse, the Pegulas may have no choice but to dump Ryan and have nay warm body finish the season. 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Since Bowles took over the play calling duties from Rogers last week obviously hes not happy with the same problems showing up week in and week out with giving up big plays. I say Hire Dunbar who is a fantastic coach and make him DC right now. :)

I hadn't read this anywhere, but I've been saying since Rodgers was hired that you don't give a defense with this much talent to a rookie coordinator, is there an article that talks about it more?

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Since Bowles took over the play calling duties from Rogers last week obviously hes not happy with the same problems showing up week in and week out with giving up big plays. I say Hire Dunbar who is a fantastic coach and make him DC right now. :)

That move tells you a lot about Bowles he is not going to coach the coaches, either you do your job or you are gone!!!

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It is called bad ownership, period!!

Good Grief!!!!

The Bills are gonna have to do what the Jets did post-Rexzick, and completely clean house. Have a big pill to swallow with Rex's contract, but the sooner they get to after Rex, the better for them. Tyrod will probably never see that extension, either. Bills look like they're in play for the top pick of the draft right now. 

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I hadn't read this anywhere, but I've been saying since Rodgers was hired that you don't give a defense with this much talent to a rookie coordinator, is there an article that talks about it more?

Perhaps Bowles wanted him to work his way into the position, and knew with his defensive mentality he could always take the reins if needed?  Only reason I can think of that Bowles made that hire. 

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Im just going by what I saw ...At one point during the game Bowles took the spreadsheets from Rogers and was calling the defense. Ive never seen Bowles do that yet so I assumed he took over play calling duties. I was surprised they did not mention it on the broadcast but Im positive he was reading off the sheet and calling the plays at one point.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Im just going by what I saw ...At one point during the game Bowles took the spreadsheets from Rogers and was calling the defense. Ive never seen Bowles do that yet so I assumed he took over play calling duties. I was surprised they did not mention it on the broadcast but Im positive he was reading off the sheet and calling the plays at one point.

I wonder what assistant coaches do when that happens in the middle of the game.  Just spend the rest of the contest talking to players, giving pump up speeches? 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wonder what assistant coaches do when that happens in the middle of the game.  Just spend the rest of the contest talking to players, giving pump up speeches? 

LOL probably but when you don't adjust and keep giving up big plays over top with safties hanging out in the box you deserve to lose play calling rights. Maybe he was ordering hots dogs from Sanchez' connection on the sidelines

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

LOL probably but when you don't adjust and keep giving up big plays over top with safties hanging out in the box you deserve to lose play calling rights. Maybe he was ordering hots dogs from Sanchez' connection on the sidelines

Oh totally, he deserved to lose that power.  It's just kind of funny to me.  I imagine it as if my boss just were to come to my desk and commandeer my computer. 

"Oh.  Well then.  Guess I'll, uh, go to lunch early today?  See ya in 3 hours?"

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I just assumed Rodgers was DC in name only and Bowles would run the D

I think Parcells took over offensive play calling from Sean Payton for awhile when they were with the Giants.  And didn't Mangini lose his playcalling ability on defense for awhile when he was with the Patriots?  It's not the end of the world for a coordinator.  Obviously, it's not a good day for him when it happens, though.

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I saw that as well and thought the same thing!

The Pegulas are clearly in over their heads.  They hired a head coach who they can't even trust one year later.

Rex needs to go and it will take then 2-3 years to rid the roster of all the sub-par "Rex guys" he brought in.

Also, what experienced head coach is going to take this job and walk into a situation where the owners are micromanaging the who is on the coaching staff, and going around the coach for these matters? 

Poor Bills fans.

Also feel bad for Dunbar, who is one of the best d-line coaches in the world, and was fired so late in the offseason that he couldn't find a lateral move somewhere else and had to go to the college ranks.  Nick Saban's defense will benefit.

For the players who essentially went around their coaches and complained directly to ownership and it worked.... How are those guys ever going to be trusted again by whatever coaching staff happens to be there? Big problems all around.

I was worried that the Bills would be so bad that they get a great pick next year.

Now I think Rex wins just enough games to keep them out of the top 5; Also, let's face it even with Rex gone Whaley is going to mess up that pick. And, if Whaley is gone, what GM is going to take that job? I know that a GM job is precious in the NFL, but with the limited market and owners who meddle, the only one taking the job will be someone hoping to get their big break and see it as their only chance. What are the odds that the owners pick the one diamond in the rough, probably not good.

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

Ryan will throw any assistant under the bus to keep his job, probably up to his brother and Weeks.  Not gonna work past week 17, but for now. Who knows though; if this gets worse, the Pegulas may have no choice but to dump Ryan and have nay warm body finish the season. 

Hard for me to agree with this. Rex seems loyal to the guys he's worked with and literally took his "people" along with him to Buffalo.

12 hours ago, KRL said:

him)

My god I can feel the pain of 2011-2014 all over again.

13 hours ago, KRL said:

him)

That sounds about right

12 hours ago, Bugg said:

I think Ryan gets canned right after the second Jet loss

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I was worried that the Bills would be so bad that they get a great pick next year.

Now I think Rex wins just enough games to keep them out of the top 5; Also, let's face it even with Rex gone Whaley is going to mess up that pick. And, if Whaley is gone, what GM is going to take that job? I know that a GM job is precious in the NFL, but with the limited market and owners who meddle, the only one taking the job will be someone hoping to get their big break and see it as their only chance. What are the odds that the owners pick the one diamond in the rough, probably not good.

Wait, you think Rex's presence would prevent Whdley from messing up a top 5 pick?

Really?

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Wait, you think Rex's presence would prevent Whdley from messing up a top 5 pick?

Really?

I think he meant it doesn't matter one way or the other ... he doesn't need Rex there to mess it up by picking another DL or CB, he can mess it up on his own. :-) 

14 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

implosion imminent, it's only week 2, does Rex and Co even make it to Firing day?

Their upcoming schedule is :

Cards

@ Patsies

@ Rams

49ers

@ Dolphags

Patsies

@ Seahawks

I know it's week to week, Any Given Sunday, and they may face Brisset when they play @ NE, but right now I can't see them winning more than 2 of those games. Cards and @ NE would always be tough games, could easily be 0-4 after those. Rex's teams do not travel well, so Rams game will be tough even though the opponent may not be that strong. Same for @ Seattle, tough road trip and the Hawks may be sorting their issues out by then, they tend to start slow but hit their stride.

I guess to put it another way - what does their record need to be at their bye week to keep Rex till year end? They'll have played 4 divisional games by that time; let's say they get to 2-7 and are 1-3 vs. AFC East by the bye week, why would they keep Rex? The season is done. I don't think they can afford to be below 0.500 by the bye week, which mean they need to go 5-2 over the games above. I don't see that happening. And if he's losing the locker room at all, then it's Goodnight Vienna.

Archived