"Todd Bowles did not want Paxton Lynch"- Adam Schein on Sirius

Matt39

I get that you don't want your coach dictating your draft and roster but at the same time you do want the coach and GM on the same page.  This seems like an overreaction type story where you had a coach not high on the player, Macc scouted him and agreed with Bowles.  Not going to take too much from this.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Bowles is the HC not the GM. Those are two different full time jobs. The problem isn't that Bowles drafted poorly. He doesn't draft he's the coach. The problem is that Mac thought Hack was a 2nd round steal, not that different to how Idzik thought Geno was a 2nd round steal and how Bradway/Tanny thought CLemens was a 2nd round steal etc. 

That being said, put Paxton Lynch on this roster, they are still 1-3. They are just 1-3 with more options

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Good luck trying to win a Super Bowl with undersized LB's instead of a franchise QB.

The guy is not a franchise Qb. He has not proven anything yet. Our need was for a fast linebacker and this kid looks like a good pick at 20. 

Just stop!!!  There is no rookie QB playing right now that has proven anything.  Just think back 2-3

years ago:

RG3

Kaepernick

Foles

Were all looked at as "rising stars", where are they now???

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Just stop!!!  There is no rookie QB playing right now that has proven anything.  Just think back 2-3

years ago:

RG3

Kaepernick

Foles

Were all looked at as "rising stars", where are they now???

Dak Prescott is 100x better than Ryan Fitzpatrick he has not turned the ball over once this season.

if I was Todd Bowles I would have wanted him either.  Coaches have too short a lifespan, and he was not expected to help anyone win in 2016 or even 2017.

The story of the NFL year is the ability for young QBs, even low drafted ones to contribute.  That is a know on Bowles because he has 3 of them on the roster who appear useless.  It is responsibility to develop the athletes that have been provided to him.    Three stooges in a row would be very coincidental.

It is also Bowles responsibility that his defense is prepared.  It has not been this year.

But even if Schein's statement is completely true, I don't view it as a knock on Bowles.  That was MacC's department to do the right thing for the Jets long-term.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Dak Prescott is 100x better than Ryan Fitzpatrick he has not turned the ball over once this season.

Not denying that but no rookie QB is going to Canton after 4 games

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

if Lynch turns out to be good this will mean Todd is as good at evaluating prospects as he is at being a Head Coach.

Well Todd had a lot better year than Rex did last season. Or for that matter Rex's last four years with the Jets. Rex is 2-2 and Todd is 1-3. We'll see the final results in Jan. 

Obviously you need fast, athletic LB's in today's NFL.  But it does not mean you HAVE to burn a 1st round pick on one.  Of course this pick had Bowles' fingerprints all over it.  Much like many of the defensive picks we made under Rex Ryan.  So in hindsight this kind of story isn't that hard to believe.  Our GM catered to the HC entirely on one of the most important picks in recent Jet history. 

Not giving up a king's ransom of picks for Wentz is at least somewhat understandable.  Passing on a QB we apparently liked (who came in for an official team visit, no less) is not. 

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.  Common denominator:  Woody Johnson. 

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles is the HC not the GM. Those are two different full time jobs. The problem isn't that Bowles drafted poorly. He doesn't draft he's the coach. The problem is that Mac thought Hack was a 2nd round steal, not that different to how Idzik thought Geno was a 2nd round steal and how Bradway/Tanny thought CLemens was a 2nd round steal etc. 

That being said, put Paxton Lynch on this roster, they are still 1-3. They are just 1-3 with more options

I think this is easy to say because there is no way of ever verifying the statement....but, dude has 10 picks and 3 fumbles in the 3 losses.  It's reasonable to think average QB play would have this team 2-2 if not 3-1.

But to your point, going 1-3 with Fitz and not being competitive in the last 2 games is a complete and utter disaster.  Going 1-3 with Lynch...or one of the kids on the roster...not so much of a disaster because you're growing and building toward something.  Instead, the Jets are a firmly planted stick in the mud.

I think Macc made a legitimate play to move up for Wentz.  Once he decided he couldn't afford the price he felt Lee was ranked ahead of Lynch and Hack had a higher ceiling based on football IQ.  I really have my doubts that Bowles was a big factor in not taking Lynch...

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I think this is easy to say because there is no way of ever verifying the statement....but, dude has 10 picks and 3 fumbles in the 3 losses.  It's reasonable to think average QB play would have this team 2-2 if not 3-1.

But to your point, going 1-3 with Fitz and not being competitive in the last 2 games is a complete and utter disaster.  Going 1-3 with Lynch...or one of the kids on the roster...not so much of a disaster because you're growing and building toward something.  Instead, the Jets are a firmly planted stick in the mud.

Basically Macc has boxed himself into a corner with the Petty/Hack picks.  If neither of them work out, considering the other QB's he COULD have selected, he needs to be gone.  It's not even a question.  You don't take both of those guys without the expectation that one would emerge as our starter. 

And Bowles, of course, would go with him. 

Just now, JiF said:

it is reasonable to think however Fitz is not an average QB and even the Jets know that. The Average QB salary is about 16 million per year. Fitz is being paid as a below average QB and he's losing to playoff teams. That's not all that surprising. 

As for "building toward something" that's also not verifiable. Wasnt too long ago the Jets thought they were building toward something with Sanchez and Geno. It might feel better to have a young guy getting experience but it's not proven to be a better path.  

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well Todd had a lot better year than Rex did last season. Or for that matter Rex's last four years with the Jets. Rex is 2-2 and Todd is 1-3. We'll see the final results in Jan. 

Yeah and Rex :( (why do we not have an emoticon that pukes?) went to the AFC champ game his first two years....So there's that. Why can't we hire non rookie coaches? 

Listening to the radio yesterday (not sure what station) and one of the guys had a theory about all the young QBs starting (and having some success so far).  Basically a lot of these young QBs have former QB head coaches.  Kessler (Hue Jackson QB in college), Prescott (Garrett 12 years NFL), Siemian/Lynch (Kubiak 8 years NFL), Wentz (Pederson 11 years NFL), Winston (Koetter QB in College).  Players that do not have former QBs as a head coach: Mariota, Brissett, Goff, Hackenberg.  The success of these QBs from the 2 most recent drafts have been a hot topic of discussion and its very early in their careers to determine if they will have long time success in the NFL.  But one thing is that former QB head coaches seem to be more willing take their chances with their young QBs.

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

no he didn't, w/a more talented team he saw his team get swept by rex's team including losing week 17 in and a win and in game.

Just now, nyjunc said:

no he didn't, w/a more talented team he saw his team get swept by rex's team including losing week 17 in and a win and in game.

I disagree. They had plenty of talent. On defense and on offense. Maybe overall better than the Jets. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Back to the Rex Ryan years of the coach dictating how drafts go?  If that is the case don't fire Bowles fire macacagnan.  Most coaches should have very little input into drafting at all, I'd kick their asses out of the draft process if it was me.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He hasnt. But if the HC is throwing his dick around in the draft room, specifically about QB's...yeah, not good. 

guys come on you know every coach has some say in the draft room stop being silly. That being said I still think Todd Bowles sucks as a Head Coach and if this mess keeps up he should be shown the door. Contrary to what some believe this team is loaded with talent and 2 of the best Lines in football we control games yet get beat on things these coaches should be coaching up. This is ALL on the coaching IMHO and if Bowles opted out of the QB it enhances my feelings even more.

And then there was a rumor right after the draft that said Jets had a low grade on Paxton.  I know that doesn't fit the "Fire Everyone" party going on right now, but I guess that's what happens when you're selective about what you want to hear.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree. They had plenty of talent. On defense and on offense. Maybe overall better than the Jets. 

they also weren't nearly as healthy as we were, their starting QB missed 3 games, their big playmakers on O missed games or they probably make the playoffs.  he at least kept them competitive.  we have top 10 talent in this league and we can't compete mostly healthy right now.  rex is far and away the better HC, it's not close.

I'm tired of hearing about ******* Paxton Lynch. The guy was drafted at the end of the first round. And yet Jets fans are treating this guy like the ******* maharajah.

If he was here, and struggling. All of you would be saying the same thing. "They wasted a first round pick on his shrub"

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they also weren't nearly as healthy as we were, their starting QB missed 3 games, their big playmakers on O missed games or they probably make the playoffs.  he at least kept them competitive.  we have top 10 talent in this league and we can't compete mostly healthy right now.  rex is far and away the better HC, it's not close.

We had injuries, too. Too early to poorly judge Bowles in only his second season. Rex had plenty of seasons of losing. Let's stop it with the excuses you can throw those out to every team in the NFL. Look at Cleveland, they lost two Qbs., Gordon, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

guys come on you know every coach has some say in the draft room stop being silly. That being said I still think Todd Bowles sucks as a Head Coach and if this mess keeps up he should be shown the door. Contrary to what some believe this team is loaded with talent and 2 of the best Lines in football we control games yet get beat on things these coaches should be coaching up. This is ALL on the coaching IMHO and if Bowles opted out of the QB it enhances my feelings even more.

Yeah they all have some say, they should have very very very little.  It should amount to meetings in which the coach vocalizes what schemes he is going to run  and what types of players he might like.  Rex Ryan sees on 5 minute film of Beastmode Connor and just has to have him because he smashes things.  If Mac and his guys like Lynch enough to draft him at 20 and they let Bowles affect that then he deserves to be defined by Christian Hackenburg, a pity an otherwise competent guys career now hinges on an awful looking prospect.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We had injuries, too. Too early to poorly judge Bowles in only his second season. Rex had plenty of seasons of losing. Let's stop it with the excuses you can throw those out to every team in the NFL. Look at Cleveland, they lost two Qbs., Gordon, etc. 

not like they did, Rex has TWO losing seasons in his 7 years as HC.  One where they were biting the bullet in 2012 and couldn't really u[pgrade(then lost their best O and D players early in the season) and another year where he was sabotaged by his inept GM.  Other than that he hasn't had another losing season.  Bill Belichick through 7 seasons had 5 losing seasons.

Archived