Do you agree with this article?

PepPep

Just read this Brian Costello article from the Post. Personally I think it's silly to suggest that a drafted QB- even if he was taken as high as the 2nd round was a BAD pick because he is not ready to start in the NFL. He mentions all the rookie QBs who are starting in the NFL right now, but fails to mention that the Rams are starting C.Keenum over their #1 overall pick Goff. What are they thinking??!!! LOL  

http://nypost.com/2016/10/04/the-evidence-that-jets-christian-hackenberg-pick-was-a-bad-one/

"The central theme around the Jets these days is the same as it has been for most of the past 40 years — is the quarterback good enough?

With Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing nine interceptions over his past two games, the cries for coach Todd Bowles to bench him have started, albeit softly so far. Part of the reason those cries are not louder is the alternative.

Jets fans have seen enough of Geno Smith to know what he is capable of — sporadic success — and what he is not — being a franchise quarterback. Smith is a lame duck in the Jets organization, waiting to hit free agency next spring to go somewhere to restart his career.

What is amazing about the current Jets’ quarterback situation is they drafted a quarterback in the second round of the NFL draft in April. Yet no one is suggesting the Jets turn things over to Christian Hackenberg right now. He is fourth on the depth chart. If you’re scoring at home, no other team in the NFL even has a fourth quarterback on their depth chart.

This is because Hackenberg is not ready to play. No one in the Jets organization believes he is ready. This is not an indictment of Hackenberg, who by all accounts is working diligently to become better. It is a criticism of the Jets for selecting him in the second round.

There were 15 quarterbacks taken in this year’s draft. Most of them are developmental quarterbacks — players you don’t have high immediate expectations for, but maybe they figure things out and can develop into a good player down the line. It is fine to draft these types of players, but you can’t take them in the second round.

The drafting of Hackenberg with the No. 51 overall pick looks terrible right now. From all accounts, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan fell in love with Hackenberg during the draft process. Some believe the infatuation began when Maccagnan still was working for the Texans and former Penn State coach Bill O’Brien told him about Hackenberg.

Whatever it was, Maccagnan jumped when he got the chance to take Hackenberg in April.

Now, when the team has a question at quarterback, no one is suggesting Hackenberg is the answer. This comes in a season when rookie quarterbacks are doing amazing things around the NFL. Five rookie quarterbacks have played this season, with four now starting regularly for their teams.

Carson Wentz has been nearly flawless in leading the Eagles to a 3-0 start. Dak Prescott, taken in the fourth round some 84 picks after Hackenberg, may have unseated Tony Romo permanently with the Cowboys. Cody Kessler has given Cleveland reason to hope. Jacoby Brissett won a big game for the Patriots in the absence of Tom Brady. Paxton Lynch helped the Broncos win a game on Sunday. All told, the five quarterbacks have combined for 10 passing touchdowns, three rushing touchdowns and one interception.

Modal Triggerhackenberg-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=
Christian Hackenberg gets sacked during a preseason game against the Eagles.Photo: Getty Images

All of this while the Jets keep Hackenberg in bubble wrap. The Jets could have used that second-round pick to find a player who could contribute immediately. Instead, they have a player who, when they drafted, Maccagnan talked about his “potential and upside.”

Translation: Check back in a few years.

The Hackenberg pick has messed with the Jets’ roster, too. They kept four quarterbacks, the only team in the NFL to do so. The move makes sense since Hackenberg and Bryce Petty are the only quarterbacks under contract for 2017. But it hinders the construction of the roster. Bowles said recently the four quarterbacks are four of the team’s better football players. Again, someday Hackenberg might fit that description, but not now.

This offseason will be fascinating. Do they bring back Fitzpatrick, who is on pace for 40 interceptions this season, for another year? Do they turn the reins over to Petty or Hackenberg? Do they bring in a veteran free agent?

Whatever they do, it’s a pretty safe bet we will be asking if the quarterback, whoever it is, is good enough at this time next year. These are the Jets, a team forever in quarterback purgatory because of bad decision after bad decision.

Taking Hackenberg as high as they did looks like the latest one.

Hindsight is 20/20 and the Jets had a veteran who has familiarity with the offense and chemistry with the receivers coming off a great season (Fitz), they have a younger potentially much improved former starter in Geno, and they have a young developmental QB in his second year. They didn't NEED Hack to start, so why start him? Fine, he's taking up an extra roster spot, why draft him? Well, why not draft him if you feel he could develop into a Franchise QB? Do the Jets HAVE a Franchise QB- no. Shouldn't the conversation be why don't the Jets cut Geno or trade Petty if we're talking about the problem of carrying 4 QBs- not that that is even a massive problem- its one roster spot for christ's sake...      

What are your thoughts? I know a lot of Jet fans believe the Hack pick was bad in general- they dislike his game. I know there are others who believe he is the real deal. And I know there's some that think he just needs time. 

His performance in the preseason was definitely concerning to me but my question is to whether we had to draft him in the 2nd? I didn't hear much about other teams interested in him but Macc must've believed he wasn't going to be there for their next pick.  They knew he was a project so I think next year is going to be big, the guy needs to make huge strides.

If the premise here is that Hackenberg was a mistake because he was taken in the second round but apparently isn't ready to play - I disagree.

Not sure I like the Hackenberg pick, wasn't a fan at the time, but I have no issue with drafting a talented quarterback and sitting him. I think Hackenberg has other issues but appreciate the effort to try and develop him.

Honestly, the pick looks bad because of Prescott's success. Not sure whether that will continue.

I posted something like this earlier saying basically the same things. What we are doing with Petty and Hack is stupid. Lets see if these guys can play. The main problem I believe is our CS is not capable of putting these young QB's in the best position to succeed so even if they bench Fitz and put Petty or Hack in, they will fail and then everyone would say they cannot play. Absolutely ridiculous. Are you telling me that if we sent Petty to play for BB, he would not be put into the very best possible position to be successful? BULL $H*t. It is ALL coaching. You all know he would turn out to be a serviceable if not real good NFL QB.

Our FO needs to stick to their board.  They say they do but it's apparent that they don't.  We are obviously desperate at the QB position so we overrate prospects coming out.

What I'm curious to know is how the hell there wasn't one guy in our entire front office that said "hold up!"  It makes me think we have a groupthink problem still.  (Tebow)

Anyone that can watch any PSU game or heck just look at his game logs.  Out of 38 games, he only completed more than 60% of his passes 12 times, including 6 his freshman year.  Then look to see he did well his first three games of his freshman year.  That puts 9 of his last 35 games.

What makes Wentz so good is the same thing that makes Hack so bad - accuracy. His mechanics or throwing motion, or just about everything he does physically, needs to be unlearned and retrained.  This is a multiple year project and as such should not have been a 2nd round draft pick that will cost this team a roster spot and just under $5M of cap space by the end of year 4.  When hopefully he can develop more than the other 2nd rounders we have taken.

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I posted something like this earlier saying basically the same things. What we are doing with Petty and Hack is stupid. Lets see if these guys can play. The main problem I believe is our CS is not capable of putting these young QB's in the best position to succeed so even if they bench Fitz and put Petty or Hack in, they will fail and then everyone would say they cannot play. Absolutely ridiculous. Are you telling me that if we sent Petty to play for BB, he would not be put into the very best possible position to be successful? BULL $H*t. It is ALL coaching. You all know he would turn out to be a serviceable if not real good NFL QB.

Petty is not playing because he is not available due to a shoulder injury in pre season. Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick and sat for four years till his number was called. So other teams have taken Qb's they liked and kept them around till it was their time.

Not saying I agree or disagree with the Hack pick but lets not act like it never happened before in football.

42 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

His performance in the preseason was definitely concerning to me but my question is to whether we had to draft him in the 2nd? I didn't hear much about other teams interested in him but Macc must've believed he wasn't going to be there for their next pick.  They knew he was a project so I think next year is going to be big, the guy needs to make huge strides.

What's the big difference, 2nd or 3rd anyway. If you want the guy, you go for it. 

8 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm assuming out QB coach Kevin Patullo is working with this kid extensively, anyone know anything about the competence level of Patullo?  Does he have any sort of history with developing QB's?

Obviously I have no idea, but given what is starting to look like Bowles' poor coaching choice decisions (April, Rodgers) I admit I am starting to have concerns. Maybe Christian works with Palmer again over the offseason or something. 

29 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I think it's amazing that "everyone" keeps saying the coaching staff has to appease the fan base by putting in what seems to be the sure thing, yet most of the fanbase keeps screaming to let the young guys play and develop, even tank. 

I agree 100% or more like he agrees with some of us that have been saying this since the guy was drafted.  You don't over draft a massive project in the 2nd round.  Is he ready to play?  No but neither should Prescott, Kessler, Wentz, Brissett, Lynch be ready to play. 

We have to carry 4 QB's this year because we drafted this guy, 4 QBs for a team that has no QB's

who cares what they think. If Hack ends up being our guy it will be worth it even if this is going to be a bad season for us. If Hack doesn't pan out well then we draft another one and hope. I am looking forward to a young QB competition next year.

This topic feels beat to death.  Yes, Macc fell hard for Hack. Yes, he reached in the 2nd round.  Yes, it's too soon to know if he made a mistake.  Yes, Macc will take a hit if Hack turns out to be a bum...

Seems like a recycled article to me...

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Our FO needs to stick to their board.  They say they do but it's apparent that they don't.  We are obviously desperate at the QB position so we overrate prospects coming out.

What I'm curious to know is how the hell there wasn't one guy in our entire front office that said "hold up!"  It makes me think we have a groupthink problem still.  (Tebow)

Anyone that can watch any PSU game or heck just look at his game logs.  Out of 38 games, he only completed more than 60% of his passes 12 times, including 6 his freshman year.  Then look to see he did well his first three games of his freshman year.  That puts 9 of his last 35 games.

What makes Wentz so good is the same thing that makes Hack so bad - accuracy. His mechanics or throwing motion, or just about everything he does physically, needs to be unlearned and retrained.  This is a multiple year project and as such should not have been a 2nd round draft pick that will cost this team a roster spot and just under $5M of cap space by the end of year 4.  When hopefully he can develop more than the other 2nd rounders we have taken.

I see this type of comment thrown around quite often. He's a multiple year project. I'm sorry I don't buy that. With all the OTA's , minicamps etc football has basically become a year round venture. Your telling me it takes over 700 days of work and practice to overcome flaws in mechanics, I claim nonsense. The reason he's viewed as a multi year project is because the Jets believe they have a pipeline of QB's that need to see the field before Hack. they're dedicating their focus on Geno and Petty for the near term future - for right or for wrong.

4 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm assuming out QB coach Kevin Patullo is working with this kid extensively, anyone know anything about the competence level of Patullo?  Does he have any sort of history with developing QB's?

I seriously doubt Patullo is doing anything with Hack.  It's the middle of the season and Patullo has work to do with Fitz.

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I see this type of comment thrown around quite often. He's a multiple year project. I'm sorry I don't buy that. With all the OTA's , minicamps etc football has basically become a year round venture. Your telling me it takes over 700 days of work and practice to overcome flaws in mechanics, I claim nonsense. The reason he's viewed as a multi year project is because the Jets believe they have a pipeline of QB's that need to see the field before Hack. they're dedicating their focus on Geno and Petty for the near term future - for right or for wrong.

Well if an organization doesn't have the coaching resources to devote to Hack because they are in the middle of the season, just like every other team.  Still means he is a multiple year project.

4 hours ago, Xtina said:

I think it's amazing that "everyone" keeps saying the coaching staff has to appease the fan base by putting in what seems to be the sure thing, yet most of the fanbase keeps screaming to let the young guys play and develop, even tank. 

Easy for fans to say anything. There job isn't on the line. Also, the same fans begging for Petty will be calling for Mac's head if he stumbles or calling for Fitz/Geno. Fans can be over reactionary, GMs and Coaches can't.

They will play Petty when he is healthy, ready, and when the easier part of the season starts - and then only if we are out of it or Fitz continues to struggle...

18 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well if an organization doesn't have the coaching resources to devote to Hack because they are in the middle of the season, just like every other team.  Still means he is a multiple year project.

So then you believe the Jets have had no conversation with Hack on what he needs to work on and that Hack who is on the roster is just walking around Florham Park during practices playing Pokemon or watching Netflix. Sure they're not devoting tons of time directly with him, but he has a plan of action and is involved in all team meetings . 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

So then you believe the Jets have had no conversation with Hack on what he needs to work on and that Hack who is on the roster is just walking around Florham Park during practices playing Pokemon or watching Netflix. Sure they're not devoting tons of time directly with him, but he has a plan of action and is involved in all team meetings . 

Well having a conversation is different than getting practice reps.  Next year with Geno elsewhere, Gack will be 3rd string and will get more reps.  Hopefully he will have improved enough where he can complete more than 30% of his passes against camp fodder.

Petty is still not ready to be the back up and he was further along last year in comparison to Hack this year.  We'll see.  My guess Hack will not be ready for a back up role next year.

taking a developmental QB in the 2nd round is not a bad pick

taking him they year after taking another developmental QB when your starter is on a 1 year deal and apparently everybody in the building would rather spend a long weekend with belicheat going over his scrapbook than play Geno IS

the jets will only have petty and hack on the roster next year, and then they will probably choke and sign matt flynn, lol

Archived