Which defensive starter is getting benched?

Maxman

21 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Skrine cannot cover anybody from any position. I take him off the field.  He would commit penalties covering a high school wideout.  Guy has Cleveland-itis. As fr the rest, I don't know.  Skrine stands out as terrible. The rest of the D? Guys who should be playing great are playing meh.  Maybe it is the scheme itself.  Our blitzers never get there. Their blitzers do.  Our pass rush up front gets handled.  Maybe we do not have the talent we think we do?  We never seem to have the kind of blitzers that other teams do. I realize we don't draft pass rushing LBs of any note, but our secondary guys also suck at getting in there.  With our secondary cover talent we simply have to move the QBs feet.  Or put him on his ass.

Last year I recall we sent Skrine on a few blitzes and that worked well. I guess with him plying outside that's harder to do, so if he does go back to nickle full time, we should try him on blitzes again. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

LCB: Juston Burris

RCB: Darrelle Revis

Nickel: Buster Skrine

FS: Marcus Williams

SS: Calvin Pryor

ROLB: Catapano

LOLB: Jordan Jenkins

MLB: David Harris

RDE: Sheldon Richardson

DT: Leo Williams

NT: McClendon

LDE: Mo Wilkerson

Darron Lee plays on third downs.

Marcus Gilchrist is a non-entity.

Sheldon Richardson never lines in a two point stance again.

I'm also giving Darryl Roberts every chance to take Skrine's job. Skrine sucks.

Catapano is a bad fit as an OLB in a 4-3 defense. Darron Lee would actually fit well there.

Other than that, I agree with everything else that you posted.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It sucks that Sheldon isn't producing this year and has limited trade value. It'd be a great opportunity to trade him at the deadline for a pick or two. He'd be a nice fit on a bunch of teams. Wasted here.

My LBs thing is rooted in being annoyed with Lee and Mauldin, to be honest. Lee because I didn't like the pick and he's been predictable: small, bullied at the point of attack, sucks in coverage, makes a splash play once a game when he's unblocked, and now he's hurt. They couldn't have gotten this in the third or fourth round?

Imagine if we would have taken the Cowboys trade offer so they could nab Lynch, where would Dak Prescott be starting, Denver?  Maybe still sitting on someone's bench.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Last year I recall we sent Skrine on a few blitzes and that worked well. I guess with him plying outside that's harder to do, so if he does go back to nickle full time, we should try him on blitzes again. 

If you're paying a corner over 6 million dollars a year annually who can only be effective in the slot and even then isn't very good at coverage, but maybe he's a good blitzer then you've definitely paid far too much for a below average player. That's on Mac. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If you're paying a corner over 6 million dollars a year annually who can only be effective in the slot and even then isn't very good at coverage, but maybe he's a good blitzer then you've definitely paid far too much for a below average player. That's on Mac. 

Or $12M for the worst player at his position in the league 

9 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Don't think Pryor nessesarily needs to be benched. Just needs to play more in the box like he did last year. That's where he is most effective. This year, Bowles has been using him like Rex did, way too much in coverage.  Gotta play to his strength.

But that's why they got Lee - so the SS can be more in coverage.  Honestly, Mac has put together a mess...

Talent but can't be used properly.

But that's why they got Lee - so the SS can be more in coverage.  Honestly, Mac has put together a mess...

I hear what you are saying. However, Bowles needs to take a big part of the blame as well.
He was smart enough to realize that Pryor couldn't cover, so he used him at the line more. It was said at the time, that Bowles loved Lee at the draft and really wanted him.
So if their plan all along was to use the SS in coverage more, that plan was doomed from the outset

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

Skrine cannot cover anybody from any position. I take him off the field.  He would commit penalties covering a high school wideout.  Guy has Cleveland-itis. As fr the rest, I don't know.  Skrine stands out as terrible. The rest of the D? Guys who should be playing great are playing meh.  Maybe it is the scheme itself.  Our blitzers never get there. Their blitzers do.  Our pass rush up front gets handled.  Maybe we do not have the talent we think we do?  We never seem to have the kind of blitzers that other teams do. I realize we don't draft pass rushing LBs of any note, but our secondary guys also suck at getting in there.  With our secondary cover talent we simply have to move the QBs feet.  Or put him on his ass.

Been telling everyone - we're not as talented as people around here think we are...

11 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I hear what you are saying. However, Bowles needs to take a big part of the blame as well.
He was smart enough to realize that Pryor couldn't cover, so he used him at the line more. It was said at the time, that Bowles loved Lee at the draft and really wanted him.
So if their plan all along was to use the SS in coverage more, that plan was doomed from the outset

agreed....that's what's concerning about this management in general.

9 hours ago, August said:

Either rotate the linemen or move to a 4-3. I hope Roberts and Harris gets more reps at CB. I do like the idea of Marcus Williams playing FS.

Williams cannot play safety, he did it vs Oakland last year and was horrific. He tackles like a weak little kitten. Skrine is strictly a slot corner. Roberts and Burris need some more PT.

With the lack of talent we have on defense outside of the D-Line I don't think it matters. But a shakeup is definitely not a bad idea. I'd guess that Skrine is being demoted to being strictly a Nickel back, which is where he belongs. Maybe Williams is moved to the dime and Burris is starting opposite Revis.

I don't know if we can afford to keep starting Pryor when our secondary is so poor in pass coverage. Hopefully they put Sheldon on the line way more than he has been.

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Williams cannot play safety, he did it vs Oakland last year and was horrific. He tackles like a weak little kitten. Skrine is strictly a slot corner. Roberts and Burris need some more PT.

I forgot about Oakland. So much for that. 

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

I remember that. He did seem quick and direct on those blitzes.  Toobad he is not big enough to play OL

12 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm guessing Skrine goes back into the slot, Burris goes outside, and Pryor finds his way to the bench. We start rotating Sheldon/Wilkerson/Williams and go back to the 3-4 with Mauldin playing rush OLB.

I'd like to see that. 

This team is too slow in the front seven for how talented they are overall. Playing four defensive tackles, no matter how good they are, is asking for trouble. Asking defensive linemen to play almost 100% of the snaps is a disaster waiting to happen as well. This is what I think makes the most sense:

LDE - Wilkerson

DT - Richardson

DT - Williams

RDE - Jordan Jenkins

SLB - Henderson

MLB - Harris

WLB - Lee

CB - Revis

SS - Pryor

FS - Gilchrist

CB - Burris

Rotate more defensively. This defense has good players. Heavily rotate McLendon in with Wilkerson, Richardson, and Williams to keep guys fresh. Move those guys around. I think any of Wilkerson/Richardson/Henderson could play LDE. Keep teams off balanced, energize your guys by putting them in different snaps. Get Jarvis Jenkins in the game some as well and Simon situationally in run heavy situations.

I like Jordan Jenkins - he's heavy handed and can set the edge against the run. His flexibility to stand up or play hand in the dirt should allow them to easily switch between 3-4 and 4-3 looks in certain situations. There's no issue with getting Catapano and Mauldin in the game for snaps at right end either though. Make someone win that job. Catapano and Mauldin should both get situational edge rushing snaps too. Passing downs why not go a 3-4 look with Wilkerson/Richardson/Williams and two of those guys on the edge?

Nickel situations you can easily take Henderson off of the field I think. Harris or Lee can come off in dime packages. In theory you can take a defensive lineman off too.

The secondary is a disaster. Let someone win a job. I'm fine sitting Pryor if they're comfortable with that. Roberts, Burris, or Williams is fine at corner. Let the young guys play. Almost like Roberts more than Burris. None of those guys is so clearly better than anyone else I like playing guys match up wise as well. Roberts probably has the best speed/length combo - play him more against a team with deep threats. Burris is a good option for possession receivers. I almost like Williams more in nickel as I think he's less likely to get burnt deep by a slot receiver and getting him towards the middle of the field may give him more opportunities to use his instincts and get his hands on some balls.

Obviously little to none of this actually happens, but it's what I want to see. Give the young corners a shot and get faster in the front seven. Little tweaks here and there. That front four I listed above seems small based on how the Jets have been playing - it's actually huge for a 4-3 defensive line. We've got the right guys to play fast - we just play too many of them together.

12 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm guessing Skrine goes back into the slot, Burris goes outside, and Pryor finds his way to the bench. We start rotating Sheldon/Wilkerson/Williams and go back to the 3-4 with Mauldin playing rush OLB.

Move Pryor back to SS and don't dare have him in coverage ever again.  F**k trying to disguise things.  Play to his strength for Pete's sake.  Bowles is being too cute by a long shot with Pryor.  

Otherwise I agree with the above and see it as the the correct and proven winning formula.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This might possibly be on Mac but I tend to think it's more on Bowles and his scheme. 

Archived