Rapoprt: Jets Talked to Mo About Commitment Prior to Extension

JetNation

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Snacks isnt a great player. Good player, but not great. You could say the same for Wilkerson, but Wilkerson gets sacks.

name me the last big sack Wilkerson got !! The majority of his sacks are garbage sacks nothing comes to mind where he's made a big play at a critical time like Ellis used to do all the time. He's no Shawn Ellis

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

name me the last big sack Wilkerson got !! The majority of his sacks are garbage sacks nothing comes to mind where he's made a big play at a critical time like Ellis used to do all the time. He's no Shawn Ellis

I will. It was in the Browns game. That sack before halftime, led the Browns to a FG instead of a TD.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Talent over character. Especially in this NFL. Jets would have been guilty of it.

And if they had signed neither, considering what happened with Revis, they would have been accused of being cheap and not only would fans get upset but then other free agents would avoid coming here

I actually like the Mo signing at the time. Guy was very consistent and seemed like a good guy. Crap and stories are always worse on a losing team. Winning cures all ills. 

14 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hes definitely not a Shaun Ellis either 

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I don't fault Bowles for this. Six years of Rex letting the inmates run the asylum created a cancerous atmosphere that can't be cleaned up in one year. 

That said, this makes Mac look pretty bad. 

Bowles could have solved this early on and instead he let it go on. He is absolutely responsible, and you should fault him for doing nothing for a year and a half.

gents think about the former coach who rarely if ever held anyone accountable.  That atmosphere just reinforces bad behavior..., i.e., Geno missing meetings also, etc.  Personally, I trade both of these guys for 2nd and move on.... I would rather have new blood that is committed to playing for the team.  

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don't know if you can do it just for missing meetings. The Union would have a field day with that

Maybe so, but this is simple to me, if attending meetings are a part of your job then not attending them is not doing your job and you should be held accountable, bet Mo would be there if money was involved...

for me it's like status reporting or project time reporting, not always the most fun but it is part of the job

4 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

If all this is true how do you give this guy a contract like that and add to that the y let snacks walk who seems to be the type of guy that deserves that money 

Because like it or not, Snacks is easily replaced and Mo is not.  Loved Snacks.  He was not worth anything close to the contract he got.

I said this last week and it still holds true.  You can tell a guy until you're blue in the face to do something. He can agree to do it.  It doesn't mean he's going to actually do it.

9 hours ago, JetNation said:

The Jets will have some big decisions to make this off-season as it appears the two players who may very well top the 53-man roster in terms of talent, could very well be bringing up the rear when it comes to commitment.

That's always the risk with big contracts. Like most GM's Mac was putting his faith in a player that has obviously let everyone down, including himself. Mo needs to look inward and decide if he wants to be a true team leader or just a guy. Right now he is a JAG for sure, but we all saw last year what he is capable of doing. I don't think the Jets players respect Bowles and his defense. It has been written that Bowles hired "buddies" instead of more highly qualified people for his CS and that is transparent to players.

This sounds to me like the case of a naive FO and coach. There are plenty of times where people think that the player dogging it is because of the contract situation (see Wallace, Mike  for one of the worst examples) and assume the new deal will make it all better and it never does.  Id imagine Richardson will be traded for pennies on the dollar after seeing Wilkerson's issues.  

Chaos returns to Florham Park. The Jets were never as close to the mountaintop as it might have seemed last year, when Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles won 10 games in their first season together. It’s why until the end there was hesitation to bring back a win-now piece like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Based on what they inherited, and what they have now, the Jets still see themselves as two drafts away from realizing the vision the GM and coach have for the team. Now that the breaks aren’t going their way like they did in 2015, the warts that are part of the “competitive rebuild” (their term) are on display for everyone to see. And that brings us to Mo Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. When the current regime arrived, those two were really the only players that were both good and young enough to remain cornerstones when the team would be ready to win big. The problem was the cultural fit, and that kind of problem surfaces when a team loses.

Now, tardiness isn’t exactly uncommon among NFL players. With Richardson and Wilkerson, it became more about the attitude accompanying the missteps. Wilkerson was told on the Monday before the Oct. 23 game against Baltimore that he wouldn’t play (he had an ankle injury), then missed the team’s Saturday walkthrough five days later, which was met with more of an eye-roll than shock inside the building. And when both Wilkerson and Richardson were late last week, no one was remotely surprised, which is a big part of why repercussions became necessary. The immature Richardson had been the subject of trade talks in the days before. The mercurial Wilkerson’s lingering problems weren’t going away. Bowles had to do something, and now the question really does become whether they fit long-term into what the current regime is trying to build, which is grounded in looking for the kinds of players that the Seahawks and Patriots and Broncos seek—guys with both football character and the head to play in a big market. Richardson has the former, but not the latter, at least for now. Whether Wilkerson will change his ways on both counts is anyone’s guess. What we do know is both have been put on notice by the head coach.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/10/kansas-city-chiefs-rebuild-nfl-notebook

not much here just thought i'd pass it on

On 11/13/2016 at 10:56 AM, TheMagicRat said:

If I recall correctly, even before the Jets drafted Mo, there were concerns about his dedication. Seeing how he performed earlier in his career, no one would have guessed that their concerns were actually true. It's shame because I really thought highly of Mo. He needs to change or else see ya later. 

I have aid this before.  Mo is great talent, mediocre motor.  Takes his share of plays off.  I never got the idea of  really big bucks for Mo.

On 11/13/2016 at 10:56 AM, TheMagicRat said:

If I recall correctly, even before the Jets drafted Mo, there were concerns about his dedication. Seeing how he performed earlier in his career, no one would have guessed that their concerns were actually true. It's shame because I really thought highly of Mo. He needs to change or else see ya later. 

I have aid this before.  Mo is great talent, mediocre motor.  Takes his share of plays off.  I never got the idea of  really big bucks for Mo.

Archived