Eric Decker: Jets' Bryce Petty showed 'flashes' he can be 'capable' QB

Ken Schroy

Eric Decker: Jets' Bryce Petty showed 'flashes' he can be 'capable' QB    NJ.com Conner Hughes

If you're looking for a little pick-me-up after the Jets' brutal 41-10 loss to the Colts, Eric Decker may have it. The Jets' wideout, whom the team placed on the injured reserve in early October, watched every second of said embarrassing defeat. In doing so, he saw each pass thrown by Bryce Petty after he replaced Ryan Fitzpatrick in the second half. And Decker came away with a rather positive assessment: Petty might not be half bad. Eventually. "There were flashes where he showed he can be a capable quarterback in this league," Decker told ESPN New York 98.7FM

Petty, who was named the Jets starting quarterback by coach Todd Bowles after the game, had an up-and-down performance against the Colts. There were a few good plays, such as a 40-yard touchdown to wideout Robby Anderson, as Decker eluded to, but also quite a few bad ones. Last year's fourth-round pick threw two brutal interceptions, and overthrew Anderson several times for would-be scores. When all was said and done, he had completed 11 of 25 passes for 135 yards with a touchdown and two picks. While many criticized the outing, Decker took the positive route. He said Petty just looked like a young quarterback still getting his feet wet. "He had his moments," Decker said. "He's a young guy who you can tell holds the ball a little too long. He takes some sacks when he doesn't have to. His progression takes a little longer. But those are things that are going to happen to a young quarterback. "When you don't get most reps in practice, the timing on deep balls and certain patters are going to be more difficult in game situations." For the first time this season, Petty will get every starting rep in practice, which should give him a chance to develop chemistry with the starters. Assuming he plays well (or at least gets better) these final four games, Petty could put himself in contention to be the starter in 2017. With the Jets 3-9 and mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, that's about all management can hope for. Decker's relatively high praise for Petty may take some by surprise. The last several weeks, the wideout has been openly campaigning to keep Fitzpatrick, despite his struggles, in the starting lineup. But even he wasn't surprised the Jets made a change. "I would say I expected it to happen coming out of the second half to try to change it up," Decker said. "We just got beat up bad in the first half. They moved the ball so easy on us. We had so many three and outs. "We just couldn't get anything going. It was easy to see it coming."

14 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

I'm sorry but Decker's love and respect for QB's wavers more than the American Flag in a tornado.

First...he loved Geno:

http://nesn.com/2014/08/eric-decker-was-sold-on-geno-smith-after-he-googled-qbs-interviews/

He dropped Geno like a bad habit in favor of Fitz

Now this

And Marshall loved Geno also even lived with him for awhile..:)

Petty has a big arm.  He cannot make reads and go through progressions.  That said I like his style of play if you're going to miss  miss on a 55 yard shot make the DB's run or at least have to sit back 15 yards from LOS

The point of the spread offense is to SPREAD the field

I agree with Decker.

Petty was brought in without notice in a game he had very few reps in practice during the weeks since he has come off injury.   and looked like it. The team in general wasn't playing hard.

His first few series he had that deer in headlights look.  played badly.  Settled down a bit and made some very nice throws, and some very bad choke throws.  

Overthrew two long balls to Anderson who was open, had a few balls dropped. Just looked inaccurate, which isn't his history, and bad timing. , plus he held the ball  to long as Decker said.

About what you would expect under the circumstances from a young developmental QB.

A 4th round pick only gets so many opportunists.  Petty has a 4 week span to show improvement.  He has all the tools, not sure he is ready, but this might be his only chance with the Jets.   It is surely in the best interest of the team, and the fans that he can do it.  Like I said he has the tools.  At least I have some interest in the last 4 games

Flashes is something. For a guy that had practically no practice reps he did fairly well. We'll see what he looks like with a week of preparation. Let's not judge too harshly if he doesn't look like Joe Namath in SF. He is a young QB and they really don't develop until year three most of the time. I am 60 years old and have followed the Jets faithfully since 1968, so to say I am pretty desperate for a QB that can help this team win is an understatement. I will be patient with Petty, as he goes through his growing pains, and I am sure there will be some.

49 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

I'm sorry but Decker's love and respect for QB's wavers more than the American Flag in a tornado.

First...he loved Geno:

http://nesn.com/2014/08/eric-decker-was-sold-on-geno-smith-after-he-googled-qbs-interviews/

He dropped Geno like a bad habit in favor of Fitz

Now this

What do you want him to say? "Bryce Petty sucks and will be out of the league in a few years"? He's obviously not going to do that.

5 minutes ago, August said:

Petty did show some positives. Decker isn't wrong. 

Every QB on an NFL roster has shown positives. Their "highlight" film makes them look like Joe Montana.  Mark Sanchez and Geno's film is some of the most Oscar award winning film ever.  Then they get on the field.......  

He has four more games to put the question in Macc's head whether we need to draft another QB this year. His first game, after sitting for a year and a half, was uneven. He deserves slack but with four games left there just isn't much slack to give. It's up to him to make or break his career this month. If he doesn't show stark improvement by the end of the month Macc is definitely on the hunt for a starting QB next year. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What do you want him to say? "Bryce Petty sucks and will be out of the league in a few years"? He's obviously not going to do that.

He could've kept his opinion to himself...right? Idk...to me..in my opinion...he just seems wishy washy.

Not to mention his most recent love affairs were with QB's that weren't very good. 

One thing I've noticed in regards to Petty....he hasn't been blitzed a whole hell of a lot. I think a large part has to do with defenses preparing all week for Fitz. I agree with most of you...in theory. Petty should benefit from a full week of preparation with the starters...but on the flip side defenses are going to install every blitz package  they have in their playbook. Saturday's going to be interesting.

There are plenty of QBs who played in college spread offenses who became functional in the NFL.  Mariota, Prescott.  Even Geno Smith, who did win 8 games one year.  We are talking about Petty being a bridge to either Hack, Glennon or another draft pick.  The team is rebuilding.  Can he be "functional."  At times Fitz was not even functional because he cannot throw the ball 20 yards.

But I think where the wheels come off the cart is how the coaching is developing QBs and other players.  I am really starting to believe that the Jets have a completely non-functional coaching staff.  I think that is where the QB mess is really going to come to light.  Other teams can prepare rookie and young QBs.  The Jets can't.  

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dear Eric Decker 

Get well soon and shut the hell up, players play(when it suits them and if they can) coaches coach (as a student of Jets history I am surprised that you say this)  and the GM makes the personnel decision (LOL... well unless the owner does or unless the mouthy HC goes around the GM and directly to the owner). 

Yours truly. 

joewilly12

fixed

Just now, roscoeword said:

It bothers me that Petty never even thinks of making yardage with his feet. He's probably a very good athlete - show a running dimension once in a while. All the young qb's do it. Why is he Kenny obrien out there? I'm sure in college he scrambled...

I think it is a bit early at this point to say what Petty never even thinks of doing.  He has been on a pretty short leash for a brief period of time.  Let's get a 4-game look see and then figure out where we are at.

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

It bothers me that Petty never even thinks of making yardage with his feet. He's probably a very good athlete - show a running dimension once in a while. All the young qb's do it. Why is he Kenny obrien out there? I'm sure in college he scrambled...

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He could simply not say anything relevant, players and coaches do it all the time. The fact that he did give some praise is nice to hear.

Archived