Darron Lee 'pissed'

jackhuntr

Darron Lee 'pissed,' guarantees Jets' defense won't stink in 2017: 'Over my dead body'

The New York Jets host the LA Rams in NFL Week 10
Darron Lee has high hopes for the Jets' 2017 defense. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 20, 2016 at 6:00 AM, updated December 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM

There's no way the Jets' defense will stink again in 2017. 

Or at least that's what rookie inside linebacker Darron Lee insists.

After Saturday night's 34-13 loss to the Dolphins, he told NJ Advance Media this unit would definitely improve in 2017, after a dismal showing in 2016.

"Absolutely," he said. "There's nothing else to be said. Absolutely. Over my dead body, we'll be better. I will do everything I possibly can to make sure that our defense, we are clicking on all cylinders. I'll do my part." 

How much have this year's struggles fueled Lee, the Jets' first-round pick? 

"Oh, man," Lee said. "What? Fuel me is an understatement. No anger. I don't get angry. But best believe I'm pissed. Pissed for everybody to be great, because I want everybody to be successful. Not just myself." 

The Jets once again gave up too many big plays in Saturday's loss to Miami, including a 66-yard catch-and-run touchdown by Jarvis Landry.

The Jets this season have allowed 12 passing plays of 40-plus yards, tied for the NFL's third-most. They entered Saturday 28th in Football Outsiders' defensive DVOA ratings. This, after finishing fifth last season in defensive DVOA. 

"I don't know what to say, man," Lee said, trying to process another poor defensive showing. "I really don't. Just too many explosives. We've got a talented team in general, man. We've just got to find a way to put it all together.

"Can't win a Super Bowl every year, right? I know that's ideal. I'm sure everybody shoots and aims high, but it's a learning experience for me. I'm going to take it as a learning experience. I know a lot of young guys in here will take it as a learning experience. All you can do is keep moving forward." 

The Jets could opt to cut several prominent defensive players after this season: cornerback Darrelle Revis, middle linebacker David Harris, and free safety Marcus Gilchrist chief among them. They might also trade end Sheldon Richardson. Cornerback Buster Skrine is another potential cut, but not a sure thing. 

So what gives Lee hope that the Jets' defense will improve in 2017? 

"Because everybody has the right mindset," he said. "Everybody wants to be successful. We've just got to figure out how to get over the hump and get that little extra push. We're so close. I'm telling you, we're so close." 

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

8 Jets cuts, to create $54 million in cap space

A rundown here.

If he thinks this is a talented group, how does he wrap his mind around this year's fiasco of a showing? 

"You don't," he said. "You just learn. That's all you can do, just keep learning. I'm a sponge. I'm just going to keep on learning and I'm going to keep on going." 

"Absolutely. Over my dead body, we'll be better."   Well, speaking of bodies, Lee better put on 50 pounds or he'll continue to get steamrolled.  And, in actuality, his comment is nothing but bluster.  Unless Lee is drafting and signing guys from other teams who can actually play, our D next year might actually be worse.

17 minutes ago, jackhuntr said:

He seems to have the right attitude, at least he isn't saying he wants to "F them Hoes" 

F'ing hoes and winning football games shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Sheldon Richardson fails at logic. Clearly.

I'd like to F me some hoes right now, frankly.

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Talk is cheap.  Start using your head a little more on field.  Will give you a mully for being a rook this year.  Pull this sh*t next year and you are ******* out of here.

lol, he's one of about 3-4 defenders that shows up weekly... does he get burned occasionally? sure, that'll happen when you're a rookie and everyone around you isn't doing their job.

talk isn't cheap... talk is necessary, when it is a precursor to shifting mindset. identify the problem, share accountability and set the tone for change.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

lol, he's one of about 3-4 defenders that shows up weekly... does he get burned occasionally? sure, that'll happen when you're a rookie and everyone around you isn't doing their job.

talk isn't cheap... talk is necessary, when it is a precursor to shifting mindset.

I read somewhere he was rated in the high 80s out of 90 by footballwhatever.com not that I put too much stock into them but I agreed with them here...that's not name of them..forgot their name

I love Darren Lee. He's the youth that will be served in the next few seasons.

Of course, the usual suspects are piling on, thinking that their droll 'humor' inflates their worth.

It's going to take more than two drafts to fix this team. But I'm hopeful that we are on that road. We'll see.

Good to hear someone taking ownership.

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Why call out Harris? He has been the consummate Jet (in a good way).

I call him cause as leader he never calls anyone on there sh*t .. I'm use to MLB being the vocal leader of the defense .. Lee has shown more in that aspect than Harris ever has already .. 

That's pretty much it tho . He isn't the caliber the player Harris is yet 

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

"Absolutely. Over my dead body, we'll be better."   Well, speaking of bodies, Lee better put on 50 pounds or he'll continue to get steamrolled.  And, in actuality, his comment is nothing but bluster.  Unless Lee is drafting and signing guys from other teams who can actually play, our D next year might actually be worse.

I think DL will put on 5+ this off season, although he does have the look of someone who may have over done it in the weight room.

But FWIW, DL looks like Mr. Olympia when compared to Kiko Alonso.

And I don't think DL is supposed to be replacing David Harris.  David Harris needs to be replaced by someone faster, but someone bigger than Lee.  Lee plays the hybrid role.  its like Marshall and Trevethan from the Broncos last year.  If sober, Erin Henderson could play the role next to Lee, or Foster from Alabama, or Jamie Collins.

If one of those 3 worked out, the Jets do not need Harris and his cap cost.

8 hours ago, varjet said:

I think DL will put on 5+ this off season, although he does have the look of someone who may have over done it in the weight room.

But FWIW, DL looks like Mr. Olympia when compared to Kiko Alonso.

And I don't think DL is supposed to be replacing David Harris.  David Harris needs to be replaced by someone faster, but someone bigger than Lee.  Lee plays the hybrid role.  its like Marshall and Trevethan from the Broncos last year.  If sober, Erin Henderson could play the role next to Lee, or Foster from Alabama, or Jamie Collins.

If one of those 3 worked out, the Jets do not need Harris and his cap cost.

Then why not just sign Trevethan - a reasonably-priced 26 year old sure thing starter - as a FA this past March, and preserve the 20th pick in the draft for a position of serious value? 

David Harris never should have been re-signed in the first place. Nor should he have been re-signed to the stupid 4 yr contract at $9M per before this current stupid one he's on now. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then why not just sign Trevethan - a reasonably-priced 26 year old sure thing starter - as a FA this past March, and preserve the 20th pick in the draft for a position of serious value? 

David Harris never should have been re-signed in the first place. Nor should he have been re-signed to the stupid 4 yr contract at $9M per before this current stupid one he's on now. 

The Jets had no cap room last offseason to sign Trevethan.   They spent it elsewhere.  He would have been a good signing.

Gase perfectly cued up that RB to get covered by Harris which led to a touchdown.    Harris' money should go somewhere else.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets had no cap room last offseason to sign Trevethan.   They spent it elsewhere.  He would have been a good signing.

Gase perfectly cued up that RB to get covered by Harris which led to a touchdown.    Harris' money should go somewhere else.

Sure they did, if they wanted to clear it. Give Brick his ultimatum a month earlier and the only 2 outcomes are saving $6M or saving $11M. Also just freaking trade Mo and don't be so stubborn about getting a 1st round pick no one was going to surrender for a mega-expensive player with no contract. So far I'm up to $27M cleared for those 2 players. So they had room if they wanted to make room.

Incidentally, this course of action would have further netted a 1st and 2nd round pick. The 1st because it means they don't draft Lee with a top 20 pick, and the 2nd seems a more apt compensation for Mo than MM's delusional 1st rounder demand (which he repeated when we had serious interest for Sheldon 2 months ago). 

Agreed.  Solid player from day 1.  Love the guy. Is he Dick Butkis? No, but he is a top JET IMO.

Is he Dick Butkus?!?!? The guy isn't even Dhani Jones. Hell he's not even Victor Hobson. Right now he's about Anthony Schlegel. Maybe he can hunt some Boars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived