Jets' Calvin Pryor says he has 'nothing' to prove to fans: 'It's all about me'

Gas2No99

Jets' Calvin Pryor says he has 'nothing' to prove to fans: 'It's all about me'

New York Jets v San Francisco 49ers
Head coach Todd Bowles of the New York Jets speaks with Calvin Pryor #25 during their NFL game at Levi's Stadium on December 11, 2016 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Ezra Shaw | Getty Images)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on December 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM, updated December 22, 2016 at 4:51 PM

FLORHAM PARK -- Outside of defensive end Leonard Williams, it's hard to find a player on the Jets' defense not having a disappointing year. 

The unit has been dreadful. Top to bottom. Pass rush? Invisible. Secondary? Embarrassing. 

As expected, fans are upset. They want answers. Something, anything, these final two meaningless weeks to show players care. But that's not on safety Calvin Pryor's mind.

"I've got nothing to prove to the fans," Pryor said. "It's all about me. I have to look at myself in the mirror. That's all I'm worried about."

Pryor is one of the underperforming players on the defense. After a breakout 2015 season, he told NJ Advance Media in August he wanted to show the league he's one of the best at his position. He had the "it" factor, he said, which is what makes the greats great. This season would be the year everyone realized it, too.

But in 13 games, Pryor doesn't have any game-changing impact plays. Not one sack, interception or fumble recovery. Just a forced fumble. Is he the reason the Jets are 4-10? No. But he's not meeting expectations set for him.

"The first couple of games, I got off to a slow start," Pryor said. "I have no idea [why]. People get off to slow starts."

While Pryor said he's "comfortable" with where he is three years into his career, he said he's not happy with how the season has gone. He hinted the Jets' difficult schedule could be playing a role, but added it's no excuse.

"There are 32 teams in the NFL, man," Pryor said. "It's about going out there and giving it your best shot, so you have a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Every team, any given Sunday.

"You have to focus on doing the right things to win ballgames. That's what we do."

Two games remain before the Jets' season is laid to rest. Since he's not worried about the fans, what is Pryor trying to prove to himself?

"I keep that between me," he said. 

"I Keep that Between me?":huh:

6 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Pryor says he's "comfortable", three years into his career. I think there are too many guys on this team that are COMFORTABLE with where they are.

I guess being a below average non impact having safety was what he was going for . 

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sadly Pryor's attitude is a big reflection on the entire atmosphere here, it needs to change from A-Z.

This entire team is damaged goods. 

Most definitely. Like a piece of mold covered bread. Some parts worse then others but the entire thing is bad. 

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

This season is getting better and better each day it seems. Another do-nothing player with an attitude. Meanwhile quietly on the other side of the hallway, they have built a Championship caliber defense, right under our noses..

Landon Collins is a beast 

I'd like to say he'd be a great player in the 80's as an in the box safety.  Same as I feel Harris could've been a HOF if he played in the 80's.

And that they just don't fit in today's NFL, but no, Pryor just sucks and would suck in any generation.

Taking him over Clinton dix was a joke

Pryor is complete liability in coverage sure the big hits are fun to watch but watching him get torched by whoever he's covering is awful too. Jamal Adams in the first round, Stephon Gilmore via free agency is a nice way to start the young rebuild of the secondary

My fear is that Calvin Pryor isn't a safety and he should be playing Darron Lee's role. And that Darron Lee should be named Artie Burns.

Or we have Lee and no Pryor, add in Teddy Bridgewater in that scenario.

Anyhow, Lee is 10lbs heavier than Pryor. And I hope at least one of them figures out how to cover people.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

My fear is that Calvin Pryor isn't a safety and he should be playing Darron Lee's role. And that Darron Lee should be named Artie Burns.

Or we have Lee and no Pryor, add in Teddy Bridgewater in that scenario.

Anyhow, Lee is 10lbs heavier than Pryor. And I hope at least one of them figures out how to cover people.

Another first-round JAG, just what the doctor ordered.

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I'd like to say he'd be a great player in the 80's as an in the box safety.  Same as I feel Harris could've been a HOF if he played in the 80's.

And that they just don't fit in today's NFL, but no, Pryor just sucks and would suck in any generation.

Taking him over Clinton dix was a joke

That's "Ha Ha funny"

Disappointing Calvin Pryor could be trade bait for Jets in offseason

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis has been the lightning rod for the New York Jets' underachieving secondary, drawing the criticism while his fellow defensive backs have gone relatively unscathed.

Not anymore.

Expected to have a breakout season, safety Calvin Pryor has been such a disappointment that his future with the team no longer is secure. One league source said he wouldn't be surprised if the Jets try to trade the 2014 first-round selection in the offseason, hoping to recoup a draft pick before they lose him for nothing after the 2017 season.

The Jets can retain Pryor's rights through 2018, but they'd have to exercise his fifth-year option by next May. His salary would jump to at least $5.7 million in '18 (based on the current amount for a safety on a fifth-year option) -- a huge increase from his $1.6 million salary for 2017. In other words, they may decline the option.

Drafted by the previous regime, Pryor hasn't panned out in head coach Todd Bowles' defensive system. He's not making plays (no interceptions, no sacks, one forced fumble) and he takes poor angles in space, opening the gate for big pass plays. It happened twice in Saturday's loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Remember when former Jets coach Rex Ryan compared Pryor to Jack Tatum? It was a classic case of Ryan hyperbole. Pryor does make an occasional blow-up hit, living up to his "Louisville Slugger" nickname from college, but he hasn't demonstrated the necessary skill set to be an effective two-way safety. He has only two interceptions in 42 games, which is rather mind-boggling for an every-down safety in today's NFL.

"He's had some good games, he's had some not-so-good ball games," said Bowles, giving a tepid but honest evaluation.

Asked if Pryor has made strides, Bowles said, "From an experience standpoint, mentally, yes. Physically, [he's] out of position at times. There are some things that he's still growing on as a player, which is getting better, but he's making some strides."

Defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers acknowledged that Pryor got off to a slow start but has "steadied out." That's a kind way of saying he's not stinking as much as he did early in the year.

This was supposed to be Pryor's year. After complaining about his role in Ryan's system, he showed flashes last season when he got a chance to play closer to the line as a strong safety, his natural position. Previously, he was used as a free safety, roaming the deep middle -- not his forte. This year he's back to playing mostly free safety.

Maybe that explains why the usually affable Pryor has been in a sour mood around the media. On Thursday, he was hesitant to discuss his individual performance. But asked if he's satisfied with his progress after three years, he said, "I'm in a comfortable place."

He shouldn't be, because he's no longer viewed as a building-block player. His scholarship has expired. If Pryor survives the offseason, it'll be because the Jets can't get rid of everybody in the secondary.

Pryor doesn't care about the outside perception of him.

"I ain't got nothing to prove to the fans," he said. "It's all about me. I have to look at myself in the mirror. That's all I'm worried about."

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Idzik drafted this bum over Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr.....

Throw Garoplo into that mix too.

That mother****er set this team back a decade, and its all because our asshat owner insisted a new GM keep Rex Ryan for two more years. I so wish I could stop with this awful team. 

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Most definitely. Like a piece of mold covered bread. Some parts worse then others but the entire thing is bad. 

When even your supposedly good players, Mo, Rich,  Marsh, Pryor, Revis, Skrine etc are playing well below freezing point, it gives one a chilly forecast for the future.  

Archived