But I Didn't Know Until This Very Day That It Was Woody All Along...

jetswinbaby!

Yes, Woody....the one constant that has been here through failed regime after failed regime...

I resisted the idea at first: He eagerly spends money, eagerly replaces GM and/or HC when the fans clamor for it...

How could he possibly be responsible for the debacle that each regime eventually becomes?

But then I asked myself, "Why does every HC/GM start out so well (10-6 or 9-7 records, playoff appearances, etc) but then end so miserably (4-10 records and firings)?

What do they all have in common?

Woody!

He is the quintessential MEDDLING OWNER!

Instead of letting football people make sound football decisions, he can't help himself, gets involved and derails the team.

I can hear him now:

"I want Favre!"

"I want Tebow!"

"I want Revis!"

"I want Fitzpatrick!"

Mac and Bowles probably can't stand the guy because they know the writing is on the wall: As long as this meddling owner is involved, the Jets will never succeed.

Ok, pardon me if I have missed something, but do any of us know for sure if Woody has indeed been hoovering around being a pain in the butt to GM/HC's?  We speculate on this board a lot, and rightfully so(we are a fan base that for the most part has been suffering for a long time), but is it conjecture, rumors, unsubstantiated reporting by Manish, etc or just stuff we make up that we assume Woody is meddling owner?  Is it just us assuming that Woody has his hands in everything?  Has there ever been ANY concrete proof of this? 

Small detail ........Leon Hess got Parcells to coach the team.

Leon Hess was also the Horses Ass who. hired Walton Holtz Winner Coslet and fired Pete Carroll after one season and then Rich Kotite which finally required him to awaken from senility and find Parcells

Meanwhile Woody has produced the best 15 years span of Jet football in franchise history

Woody is always one step behind.  Not letting the GM pick the coach doomed this regime.  I like Bowles as a person but I don't see him as an elite head coach who can win by out-strategizing and out-manuvering the opponent.

Let Maccagnan pick his guy.  And let's see what we have in Hackenberg.  If Hackenberg isn't even good enough to see the field even next season that is a major indictment of Maccagnan.  This was a veteran-heavy roster, the 2nd round draft pick needed to be a guy who could have a role on this team for years.

38 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Woody is always one step behind.  Not letting the GM pick the coach doomed this regime.  I like Bowles as a person but I don't see him as an elite head coach who can win by out-strategizing and out-manuvering the opponent.

Let Maccagnan pick his guy.  And let's see what we have in Hackenberg.  If Hackenberg isn't even good enough to see the field even next season that is a major indictment of Maccagnan.  This was a veteran-heavy roster, the 2nd round draft pick needed to be a guy who could have a role on this team for years.

At this moment Hack looks like the biggest reach pick I've ever seen.

It could have been worse, we could have drafted Paxton Lynch in the 1st. In stead of the stud 210 pound Linebacker.

10 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Leon Hess was also the Horses Ass who. hired Walton Holtz Winner Coslet and fired Pete Carroll after one season and then Rich Kotite which finally required him to awaken from senility and find Parcells

Meanwhile Woody has produced the best 15 years span of Jet football in franchise history

Good. If you are satisfied with this best 15, happy new year and here's a toast that Woody lives to 105.

11 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Yes he was cheap enough to spend a billion on a dump like MET LIFE instead of our own stadium.

uh....he wanted to put the team on the west side but the politics prevented him.  he also looked at shea stadium but the idiots who run the mets basically made that option too expensive.  met life was the third option.  the stadium is very nice although it is fairly difficult to get to.

At this moment Hack looks like the biggest reach pick I've ever seen.
It could have been worse, we could have drafted Paxton Lynch in the 1st. In stead of the stud 210 pound Linebacker.

Based on nothing as usual

Biggest second round reach. The guy was a multi year starter in the Big 10. But based on nothing you've determined he is the biggest reach ever.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady also played zero in their rookie year

Oh and BTW the biggest second round reach ever was the drafting of PK Mike Nugent.

6 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Biggest second round reach. The guy was a multi year starter in the Big 10. But based on nothing you've determined he is the biggest reach ever.

Oh and BTW the biggest second round reach ever was the drafting of PK Mike Nugent.

Mike Nugent actually saw the field during his career. Hack has a good chance of never stepping onto the field.

I have no direct evidence that Woody interferes in the decisions. It's hard to imagine, however, with separate control of GM and HC that he isn't exercising some level of control, even if it is only resolving conflicts of opinion between Macc and Bowles. I'm not sure how much he involves himself in specific decisions but he likely sets broader policies for how the GM assembles the roster. 

It is fun to jab about all sorts of things, but this is purely conjecture. That is the beauty of a site like this. Posters can say what they want, voice their thoughts and of course the masses will either give 'reputation' or attack.

As this is on a fan site, it is all good natured fun. But, what bugs me (and this is not any attack on the OP in any way) is that this is the same type of fantasy and conjecture that Metha writes about all day long and passes as reporting instead of opinion. He takes some information, puts together some thoughts (often stretches of the imagination) and then runs with it with 'unnamed sources'. Then the other useless beat writers pick it up and run with it (or visa-versa). They are a bunch of lazy a** ...

.. anyway, sorry for the rant and sorry for highjacking this thread - nothing to see here... happy Tuesday. :-)

.. now back to the thread - I don't know how much Woody involves himself with the day-to-day operations. But, he could easily fix the appearance of his involvement by either hiring someone to manage the team and have GM and HC report to that person, or have the HC report to GM. If he gets the ambassador position, he is likely going to need to do that. If he takes the job and keeps the structure the same - it may be an indication that he doesn't involve himself too much as he won't have the time.

19 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

It is fun to jab about all sorts of things, but this is purely conjecture. That is the beauty of a site like this. Posters can say what they want, voice their thoughts and of course the masses will either give 'reputation' or attack.

As this is on a fan site, it is all good natured fun. But, what bugs me (and this is not any attack on the OP in any way) is that this is the same type of fantasy and conjecture that Metha writes about all day long and passes as reporting instead of opinion. He takes some information, puts together some thoughts (often stretches of the imagination) and then runs with it with 'unnamed sources'. Then the other useless beat writers pick it up and run with it (or visa-versa). They are a bunch of lazy a** ...

.. anyway, sorry for the rant and sorry for highjacking this thread - nothing to see here... happy Tuesday. :-)

.. now back to the thread - I don't know how much Woody involves himself with the day-to-day operations. But, he could easily fix the appearance of his involvement by either hiring someone to manage the team and have GM and HC report to that person, or have the HC report to GM. If he gets the ambassador position, he is likely going to need to do that. If he takes the job and keeps the structure the same - it may be an indication that he doesn't involve himself too much as he won't have the time.

Great post.

(even if it's a bit short for my taste)

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

First off - do any of us even know if that appointment  will happen, and even if it does how much time does being an ambassador really require. Its not like people in those types of positions do that job exclusively as they all hold other business , political , misc. jobs as well.

Woody is a rich business owner. I trust he is very competetive and wants to win as much as the 31 other NFL owners. If we're holding out hope that Woody is just going to forget about the Jets I think we're sadly mistaken.

Bottom line I don't believe Woody is the meddeling owner that some here do, but I do believe that as a NFL team owner he wants to win as much as his 31 peers, to think otherwise is assinine.

We need to stop blaming Woody.  Blame the owner all you want, he is not going anywhere.  I blame Todd Bowles mostly for this season.  Macc will get a strong second place.  Woody is not the problem.  Failed regime after regime has to do with not having a consistent QB.  

4 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Really here's some "Based on nothing as usual" :- 

Quite a few Draft Nic's put this guy down has undraftable, (see below), but we took him in the second. we have two QB's on IR, and I bet he does even  dress for Week 17.

Mike Nugent "Oh and BTW the biggest second round reach ever was the drafting of PK Mike Nugent".

13 Years in the NFL not bad for the "the biggest second round reach ever " Lets see how long Hacks in the League?

Mike Nugent

Career Statistics[edit]

Overall FG PAT Kickoffs
Season Team GP Blk Long FG Att FGM Pct XP Att XPM Pct Blk KO Avg TB Ret Avg
2005 NYJ 16 1 49 28 22 78.6 24 24 100.0 0 63 59.4 1 60 20.8
2006 NYJ 16 0 54 27 24 88.9 35 34 97.1 0 74 60.5 2 69 21.2
2007 NYJ 16 0 50 36 29 80.6 24 23 95.8 1 65 61.1 9 51 24.9
2008 NYJ 1 0 0 1 0 0.0 2 2 100.0 0 3 52.7 0 3 16.3
2009 TB 4 1 37 6 2 33.3 6 6 100.0 0 12 60.4 2 9 21.3
2009 ARI 2 0 48 2 2 100.0 8 8 100.0 0 12 59.3 0 12 20.8
2010 CIN 9 1 54 19 15 78.9 17 17 100.0 0 44 63.3 7 34 26.5
2011 CIN 16 1 49 38 33 86.8 34 33 97.1 0 80 66.5 36 44 20.8
2012 CIN 12 0 55 23 19 82.6 35 35 100.0 0 65 66.6 21 43 26.0
2013 CIN 16 0 54 22 18 81.8 53 52 98.1 1 86 63.9 32 52 23.4
2014 CIN 16 1 49 33 26 78.8 39 39 100.0 0 81 65.6 37 44 25.5
2015 CIN 16 1 52 28 23 82.1 49 48 98.0 1 89 65.0 6 7 30.7
2016 CIN 13 0 47 29 23 79.3 29 23 79.3 0 63 63.0 28 34 22.9
Total 153 6 55 292 236 80.8 355 344 96.9 3 737 63.5 217 501 23.1

Why PFF doesn’t have a draftable grade on Christian Hackenberg

Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg is one of the most polarizing prospects in the 2016 NFL draft. There are evaluators who have stated that they believe Hackenberg should go in the second round of the draft. Still others have said that his performance on tape is worrying enough that he should drop further than the second tier of passers, but the tools are still clearly there for him to potentially be an NFL-caliber quarterback.

I hold a different opinion: I don’t believe Christian Hackenberg should even be drafted.

That seems like hyperbole, and it is not intended to come across as a slam against a player who is working hard for his shot to play in the NFL. But the truth is that instead of hyperbole it is actually an honest assessment backed up by three years of play-by-play grading, tape study and data.

Here is why my analysis and that of the PFF team has led me to believe that Hackenberg is not a draftable prospect in this class:

Inaccuracy

There isn’t a more inaccurate quarterback prospect in this draft with a reasonable chance at being drafted. Hackenberg is inaccurate at every level of the field, on all throws and against all coverages.

This season his completion percentage when adjusted for drops, spikes, etc. was 64.0 percent, which was 120th in the nation. In 2014, he was 105th. Every accuracy number you look at sees Hackenberg struggle, and the tape shows the same thing.

Even when under no pressure at all this past season, he completed just 61.9 percent of his passes. That’s the same completion percentage Cardale Jones managed on all plays, not just pressure plays, and Jones is a player whose accuracy is seen as a negative.

Hackenberg’s completion percentage under no pressure at all of 61.9 percent would only have ranked 44th in the nation, if it was his real completion percentage.

Completion percentage can be affected by many things, but if you dive a little deeper and look specifically at his ball placement, things get even worse. Hackenberg completed 192 passes this past season, but when we charted ball location for quarterbacks in this draft class, 55 of those catches were badly located passes. He was only accurate on 48.1 percent of attempts when throwing to open receivers. By comparison, Cody Kessler was accurate on 73.2 percent of his attempts to open receivers, Carson Wentz was at 61.2 percent. Even Cardale Jones, our inaccuracy comp in this exercise, was 5 percent better when throwing to open guys.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg/

18 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Yes, Woody....the one constant that has been here through failed regime after failed regime...

I resisted the idea at first: He eagerly spends money, eagerly replaces GM and/or HC when the fans clamor for it...

How could he possibly be responsible for the debacle that each regime eventually becomes?

But then I asked myself, "Why does every HC/GM start out so well (10-6 or 9-7 records, playoff appearances, etc) but then end so miserably (4-10 records and firings)?

What do they all have in common?

Woody!

He is the quintessential MEDDLING OWNER!

Instead of letting football people make sound football decisions, he can't help himself, gets involved and derails the team.

I can hear him now:

"I want Favre!"

"I want Tebow!"

"I want Revis!"

"I want Fitzpatrick!"

Mac and Bowles probably can't stand the guy because they know the writing is on the wall: As long as this meddling owner is involved, the Jets will never succeed.

I agree with this.  This is starting to become more and more obvious over time.  

18 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

If PFF had a single worthwhile insight on draftability their draftniks would be scouting or drafting for NFL teams, not posting on the internet from a basement

My reply was based in your comment "Based on nothing as usual" well it looks like it wasn't based on nothing. If you agree is your own choice, but the comment is clearly on PFF's Break down, and so far it looks pretty accurate, unlike Hackenburg from all accounts.

18 hours ago, August said:

Woody needs to just give Macc full control and get the hell out of the way. He definitely hoovers around and forces his gm's to do things they don't want to do and then throw them under the bus if it fails. 

BINGO.... Also fire the HC imediately

2 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Again based on??

Nothing but your cluelessness

What leads you to believe he will suddenly fix his mechanics and become this great QB of the future? You may not want throw around how clueless everyone is and how you're the only one who can see the truth if you're not providing anything to back it up.

21 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

In all fairness, the bar is set pretty low.

Archived