Hack ripped by anonymous Jets coach

AFJF

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I've never argued that I wasn't for bringing Fitz back. I have zero problem with him to this day and zero problem with his contract. It didn't impede the progress of either young QB and it actually turns out better than if he accepted the 3 year deal that Macc wanted to give him. So Fitz actually did the Jets a favor. 

What was I wrong about exactly? Fitz still to this day is still a better QB than Geno. Petty and Hack weren't ready. They had to bring him back. It didn't work out because the defense was awful and specials continued to awful. No QB option was making this team a winning team in 2016. 

That about sums it up.....

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Because it never occurred to me to be an NFL scout.  I never even played football. I was a futbol player.  Maybe I should have been a scout.  Watch for my player evaluations when the draft approaches.  Then decide if you want to mock me.

I have been watching the NFL for 30 years religiously, since I was 8.  I watched before i was 8 too, but obviously dont recall much.  What is so crazy about a random fan that has an eye for talent?  Has the Jets scouting department demonstrated anything recently that makes you think they are so much better at it than a random fan might be? I wouldn't hire them to pick my nose, much less pick a player in the NFL draft.

Just having a little fun with you.

5 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Just having a little fun with you.

Got it.  I am serious about this. Maybe the guys at JN with connections can get me a job as a consultant? I would work for free.  Many of my takes, sometimes extremely unpopular, turn out to be right.

Too funny. I'm the creepy obsessed person but someone is going through hundreds of my old posts about something that has nothing to do with the fact that Hack was the only QB drafted in the first four rounds to not see the field this year. 

High comedy. I love you JetNation. Never change. 

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Move him to the PS?  You can't just move him to the PS. And there isn't a PS now. The season is over. 

I'm obviously talking about next year.  He showed nothing positive this year.  If we are no closer to being convinced that he is at least back up material, then I was saying it's better to cut your losses rather than lying to yourself and keeping him around using up cap space and a roster spot.

Our QB options are pretty bleak next season unless somehow Washington lets Cousins go and Woody gives him a blank check.  We can sign a cheap veteran like Hoyer or Glennon and pray that Petty can stay healthy or Hack has a metamorphism into a QB.  Even if we are drafting a QB in the first, we are going to have to sign a veteran as insurance.  That means either carrying 4 QBs again which was a disaster or we are cutting Petty or Hack.  At this point, Petty is light years ahead of Hack.

55 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Too funny. I'm the creepy obsessed person but someone is going through hundreds of my old posts about something that has nothing to do with the fact that Hack was the only QB drafted in the first four rounds to not see the field this year. 

High comedy. I love you JetNation. Never change. 

By your own request, hahahaha. Someone finally does it because you keep denying it and you get all a**mad about it.

Again, Connor Cook getting on the field for an injured McGloin doesn't make your opinion on Hackenberg, the choice, the team's view, etc., right.  :)))

57 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Why should Carl admit it? If anything, then Mac was wrong. But was he? Mac was guilty of not finding a better option than Geno to begin with. Fitz was NEVER really in the plans to start. All this nonsense about Fitz's competence falls squarely on Mac.  How on earth could you go into your first year wit a former GM's QB pick that has underperformed and been nothing but an albatross.  Mac was fortunate Fitz played so well in 2015 or he may just have been canned at the end of this season.  Fitz wasn't very good this year but this team fell apart early and was more on the defense than it was on Fitz.   

This is a very very very questionable opinion.  Don't get me wrong, the defense sucked...but he was f*cking AWFUL.

Here's the Post's article on Schefter's report. Bowles said he disagreed with the anonymous coach's assessment 

Jets coach can’t explain that vicious Hackenberg report

Rookie QB Christian Hackenberg did not play a down this season. Bowles, after the 30-10 win over the Bills at MetLife Stadium, said they never considered playing him Sunday, even when the score got out of hand in the fourth quarter.

“We didn’t need him,” Bowles said. “We didn’t plan on playing him.”

ESPN reported Sunday that it has been evident to those inside the Jets that Hackenberg is not ready to play. The network quoted one anonymous Jets coach saying Hackenberg “couldn’t hit the ocean.”

Bowles said that was not the team’s view.

“Not at all,” Bowles said.

Another Jets official told the network that Hackenberg regressed throughout this season. The report went on to say the Jets still think he can be salvaged after an offseason away to work on his mechanics.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/01/jets-coach-cant-explain-that-vicious-hackenberg-report/

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Here's the Post's article on Schefter's report. Bowles said he disagreed with the anonymous coach's assessment 

Jets coach can’t explain that vicious Hackenberg report

Rookie QB Christian Hackenberg did not play a down this season. Bowles, after the 30-10 win over the Bills at MetLife Stadium, said they never considered playing him Sunday, even when the score got out of hand in the fourth quarter.

“We didn’t need him,” Bowles said. “We didn’t plan on playing him.”

ESPN reported Sunday that it has been evident to those inside the Jets that Hackenberg is not ready to play. The network quoted one anonymous Jets coach saying Hackenberg “couldn’t hit the ocean.”

Bowles said that was not the team’s view.

“Not at all,” Bowles said.

Another Jets official told the network that Hackenberg regressed throughout this season. The report went on to say the Jets still think he can be salvaged after an offseason away to work on his mechanics.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/01/jets-coach-cant-explain-that-vicious-hackenberg-report/

/thread.

35 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'm obviously talking about next year.  He showed nothing positive this year.  If we are no closer to being convinced that he is at least back up material, then I was saying it's better to cut your losses rather than lying to yourself and keeping him around using up cap space and a roster spot.

Our QB options are pretty bleak next season unless somehow Washington lets Cousins go and Woody gives him a blank check.  We can sign a cheap veteran like Hoyer or Glennon and pray that Petty can stay healthy or Hack has a metamorphism into a QB.  Even if we are drafting a QB in the first, we are going to have to sign a veteran as insurance.  That means either carrying 4 QBs again which was a disaster or we are cutting Petty or Hack.  At this point, Petty is light years ahead of Hack.

FA

Hack 

Petty

That is probably gonna be the move. Maybe draft a low round QB like Mahomes in the 4th/5th/6th and keep him on the PS or cut Petty for him to be the 3. Hack won't be cut, like him or not. 

One Jets source says "he couldn't hit the ocean."

Another says "he regressed throughout the season."

Macc should be fired for the Hack pick alone.

Throw in R.J. Soward (speed and bust, not drug problem)... oops I mean Devin Smith.

And Kyle Wilson... I mean Darron Lee.

And Macc should be working at the concession stand.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Why should Carl admit it? If anything, then Mac was wrong. But was he? Mac was guilty of not finding a better option than Geno to begin with. Fitz was NEVER really in the plans to start. All this nonsense about Fitz's competence falls squarely on Mac.  How on earth could you go into your first year wit a former GM's QB pick that has underperformed and been nothing but an albatross.  Mac was fortunate Fitz played so well in 2015 or he may just have been canned at the end of this season.  Fitz wasn't very good this year but this team fell apart early and was more on the defense than it was on Fitz.   

Geno was the starting QB Maccs first season.  Fitz was signed to be the backup.  There weren't any FA QBs that you had to have to lead your team.  But If Geno isn't busted up who knows what happens.  Regardless there wasn't a chance in hell that Macc gets fired after year one.  None

The wrong part is that Geno could have done exactly what Fitz did this season and not even considering the possibility.  

Geno was the starting QB Maccs first season.  Fitz was signed to be the backup.  There weren't any FA QBs that you had to have to lead your team.  But If Geno isn't busted up who knows what happens.  Regardless there wasn't a chance in hell that Macc gets fired after year one.  None
The wrong part is that Geno could have done exactly what Fitz did this season and not even considering the possibility.  

No fitz was signed to replace geno. He was hurt to start training camp so geno got the nod, but would not have lasted 4 games as the starter because well ... He's friggin aweful.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, funaz said:

No fitz was signed to replace geno. He was hurt to start training camp so geno got the nod, but would not have lasted 4 games as the starter because well ... He's friggin aweful.

Incorrect. Geno was penciled in as the starter (by default since Mac didn't seek other options). Remember Gailey gushing over how Geno was having a great camp and was #1 in QB rotation with Fitz as the backup. I knew right there I wanted Gailey out.  Regardless, Mac should have found a more viable option than Geno OR Fitz to start.  If I'm a new GM last thing I want to do is roll with an ex GM's QB pick that has not only underperformed but made a mockery of the organization with his antics.  First thing I would have done was try and trade Smith or cut him and find MY QB.  Incredibly and luckily, Fitz had a stellar year which won Mac exec of year.  Pure luck.  If Fitz was well, Fitz, Mac would have been fired by the end of his 2nd year.  If Mac doesn't turn this around next year, both he and Bowles will be sipping coffee at Starbucks on Sunday afternoons..     

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Geno was the starting QB Macs first season.  Fitz was signed to be the backup.  There weren't any FA QBs that you had to have to lead your team.  But If Geno isn't busted up who knows what happens.  Regardless there wasn't a chance in hell that Macc gets fired after year one.  None

Geno throwing 31 TD's LOL more like 31 INT's.  Regardless, Mac should have sought a QB through a trade.  He will now go the desperate route which is what he should have done in his first year anyways.  He wouldn't look like such a moron as he does now.  I don't think it matters anyways. Mac hasn't shown much of an eye as a GM who evaluates talent all that well through the draft or through balancing the team via free agency.   

Lol ...regressed through the season?  How does one regress through the season? One that has never played and literally got no practice reps and no coaching by their own words?  Did he start failing the math quiz in classroom?

Wonder if it this QB coach who forgot to do his own job?

18 minutes ago, jbone said:

Would love to know what the hell Macc was thinking when he concluded Hack was a steal in the 2nd round. 

It's his worst move, the first two picks where not good. Hack in the second is just aweful, no one was picking this kid before round 4.

On the other hand, his later picks, and UDFA signing have been very good. 

This is crap.  It could literally be anybody or something the guy heard in a toilet.  I have a friend who works for pro sports team and a reporter literally overheard him playing cards, and quoted him as an "unnamed source" in a major article.  Sports journalism is almost the bottom of the barrel and now there is no transparency what so ever.  Hack deserves to flame out on his own but not be thrown under the bus by some soon to be fired coach.

1 hour ago, jbone said:

Would love to know what the hell Macc was thinking when he concluded Hack was a steal in the 2nd round. 

Crack, Meth or Heroin. But I still like Macc as our GM. More than our coach for sure. Every GM whiffs and Macc had his Vernon Gholston pick in 2016 Round 2. Now he just needs to stop reaching, stop making side trips and falling in love with turds that are dropping in the draft. Reload and go draft us another QB this year so we can dump Hack off on the Browns for some beef jerky.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Throw in R.J. Soward (speed and bust, not drug problem)... oops I mean Devin Smith.

What about Leonard Williams, Andersen, Marshall, Peake, Snell, Maudlin, Burris, Middleton, Petty. We haven't had this many youngins playing significant minutes in a long, long time. Sure not stars but everyone can't be. The Jets are getting real prospects on their roster and its because of Macc and his crew. No GM bats a thousand.  

1 hour ago, Harlemnite1 said:

What about Leonard Williams, Andersen, Marshall, Peake, Snell, Maudlin, Burris, Middleton, Petty. We haven't had this many youngins playing significant minutes in a long, long time. Sure not stars but everyone can't be. The Jets are getting real prospects on their roster and its because of Macc and his crew. No GM bats a thousand.  

Macc was handed 40 million in cap space and he turned a bad secondary into a worse secondary. He turned an okay offensive line into a terrible offensive line. He took a team devoid of young talent at the major positions and hasn't fixed that. His top four picks in the first two drafts only one looks like he'll be better than good and both 2nd rounders can't even see the field. He definitely has added some young talent in late rounds and as undrafted free agents but not enough to make up for his big misses. 

13 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

So many fans will cover their ears and refuse to acknowledge the obvious, regardless of the mounting evidence. Hack is not the future. Hack will be out of the league in 2 years. Hack was a terrible pick.

What's more is that we currently don't have a QB worth a damn on this roster. We need to draft another this yr or sign Glennon.  Or both. Seriously, we're at square one. We have a nice back up type in Petty, but that's about it. 

There's no mounting evidence 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey guys, everything with Hack is ok. I got a call this morning from someone inside the Jets camp, and they said the original  report was wrong. That Hack is on track, and is where the Jets org thought he would be at this point.

All is even now.

Serious question: As a PSU fan, would you rather have James Franklin coaching them for the next four years or Hackenberg at QB for them for another four years? 

7 hours ago, funaz said:

other than the fact that when Fitz was signed they told him it wa to be the backup. Fitz was hurt the season before, not in camp.

6 hours ago, Powpow said:

Geno throwing 31 TD's LOL more like 31 INT's.  Regardless, Mac should have sought a QB through a trade.  He will now go the desperate route which is what he should have done in his first year anyways.  He wouldn't look like such a moron as he does now.  I don't think it matters anyways. Mac hasn't shown much of an eye as a GM who evaluates talent all that well through the draft or through balancing the team via free agency.   

Which QB was on the trading block that Macc turned down?  Actually who did he try and trade for?  You know?  How do you know he wasn't trying to get a QB and didn't?  

Fitz not working out, not being able to just sprinkle fairy dust to make a better QB appear doesn't make any GM a moron.  

To say he doesn't have an eye for talent is just plain wrong on so many levels.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Which QB was on the trading block that Macc turned down?  Actually who did he try and trade for?  You know?  How do you know he wasn't trying to get a QB and didn't?  

Fitz not working out, not being able to just sprinkle fairy dust to make a better QB appear doesn't make any GM a moron.  

To say he doesn't have an eye for talent is just plain wrong on so many levels.  

The QB teams asked about this offseason in terms of trades was Petty and not Geno. 

Also, you keep incorrectly stating that a Fitz was originally signed to the Jets. That's false. He was traded for. Just FYI. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Serious question: As a PSU fan, would you rather have James Franklin coaching them for the next four years or Hackenberg at QB for them for another four years? 

In order of things that I did not want, coming off last season. These as a PSU fan. Starting with things  wanted the least:

1. Christian Hackenberg declaring for the NFL draft

2. John Donovan coaching Christian Hackenberg

3. James Franklin coaching Christian Hackenberg

4. A read option QB system being run for Christian Hackenberg

5. Christian Hackenberg being drafted by the NYJ.

Summary- I saw talent in Hack, and wanted someone to tap into that and see what could be released. You do not walk in as a true freshman, start in a major conference, have great success, without there being something there. The shift from O'Brien to the Franklin system, and the subsequent downfall of Hack are too coincidental to ignore. Or maybe they aren't, and he became a basket case because struggles with Econ 210. I can't read inside the kid's head.

I remember being pissed at PSU and at Franklin, as Hack announced his intentions to go pro, immediately after PSU's last game last season. It was immediate. There was no consideration to let the process stew. He bolted as quickly as he could.

To temper all of this, I was prepared to have the least emotional support for the PSU program that I can ever remember coming into this season. The fact of having an unproven QB, and the fact that having Frankin look as clueless as any coach I have seen, prepared me for the worst. After the Michigan game, I wanted his head on a platter. I was ready to begin lobbying Rhule at Temple for the job.

As the draft approached, I braced myself for where Hack may go. I thought that a round 4 pick was possible, based on raw skills alone. But those qualifications needed to be tempered with the expectation that he would go to a team that was solid at the position, and did not need a savior. A la Rogers going to Green Bay, to serve as apprentice to Favre. People forget that Rogers was "mechanically flawed" and people felt needed time. 

That is Hack x3. The kid is screwed up in the head as much mechanically. I am sure. Not a great combo. But someone needs to chisel away and see what they can form. The problem for him, is that he is with a team, and drafted in a slot that cannot allow for that. And understandably so.

Long answer to your short question, and I did not answer it directly.

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Macc should be fired over reports no one knows are even true?  

Oh wait, D Lee, he can't turn his head and Smith blew out his knee.  Then fire the GM.  Wait, a GM should be fired because a fan doesn't like a 2nd round pick that we haven't seen play a single down.  Lol

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The QB teams asked about this offseason in terms of trades was Petty and not Geno. 

Also, you keep incorrectly stating that a Fitz was originally signed to the Jets. That's false. He was traded for. Just FYI. 

And even if true what does that have to do with which starting QBs did Macc try and trade for? 

Yes, it was a trade.  They knew he was being shopped and traded for him.  

Archived