• Deshaun Watson
    • DeShone Kizer
    • Mitch Trubisky
    • Pat Mahomes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It should be a battle between Petty, Hack and whoever they draft.  There's no reason to bring in a vet.  We need to live and die with the young guys this year.

I wonder if Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan feel the same way.  Fans can live and die, because when the season is over, they still have their jobs.

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It should be a battle between Petty, Hack and whoever they draft.  There's no reason to bring in a vet.  We need to live and die with the young guys this year.

I would not mind seeing this at all but I feel there is about a 1% chance of that happening.

I'm going with Hackenberg.  I think he's going to be terrible.  So, either he crashes and burns and we get the #1 overall pick, or he proves me and others wrong and we have a QB for the future.

I don't think it makes sense to take a QB at 6, and unless your plan is to win the Super Bowl this year, Culter and Romo are a terrible idea.

My second choice would be Glennon, for potential upside, though I'm not overly optimistic.

17 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder if Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan feel the same way.  Fans can live and die, because when the season is over, they still have their jobs.

Bringing in a vet and going 7-9 to 9-7 should cost them their jobs more quickly than going with the kids and bombing IMO.

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm going with Hackenberg.  I think he's going to be terrible.  So, either he crashes and burns and we get the #1 overall pick, or he proves me and others wrong and we have a QB for the future.

I don't think it makes sense to take a QB at 6, and unless your plan is to win the Super Bowl this year, Culter and Romo are a terrible idea.

My second choice would be Glennon, for potential upside, though I'm not overly optimistic.

Glennon will probably be carrying too big of a price tag, and #6 and the old guys who don't suck quite as much as Jets QBs don't seem like particularly reliable solutions either.

I agree regarding Hack in theory, but the Jets are never that lucky for it to turn out the way you suggest.  The more likely scenario would be that Hackenberg looks wildly inconsistent, but has a few shining moments to give some a little hope and push the Jets to around 6 wins, ultimately putting them out of contention for a top pick/QB.  The supporters cite the surrounding talent as the reason for his failures (e.g., if Marshall is sent packing, Hack didn't have enough weapons, if Marshall is kept, he was a quitter/problem/washed up), while others think he is already proven as an entirely lost cause.  This carries on for at least another year or two until the process is repeated yet again, likely with a combination of a new draft pick and JAG veteran... and so the cycle continues.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This but Mac and Cheese Bowles are not going to allow it - they'll bring in another vet qb and if no other reason but to watch the message boards go up in flames, I'd want Cutler.

declare hackenberg the starter right away. Tell the QB coach if he doesn't get fined by the NFL 3 times for breaking the rules for off season contact, he's fired.

fix his footwork, tell him he has 3 years to figure it out, so don't get all teary eyed when dick cimini rips you for a 3 INT performance.

only way to get off the hamster wheel.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

declare hackenberg the starter right away. Tell the QB coach if he doesn't get fined by the NFL 3 times for breaking the rules for off season contact, he's fired.

fix his footwork, tell him he has 3 years to figure it out, so don't get all teary eyed when dick cimini rips you for a 3 INT performance.

Love it.

I want Hackenberg to be the guy to not only validate Mac's pick, but to finally end the Jets search for a franchise QB. In a worst case scenario, Hackenberg is terrible in 2017, Mac and Bowles will be fired, and the Jets will be free to start a new cycle of ineptitude in 2018 with a different GM and head coach with no franchise QB. 

If I had to decide today, I go with:

#1 -- Bryce Petty

#2 -- Christian Hackenberg

#3 -- 2017 Mid-Round Draft Pick

I do not overpay for Tyrod or Glennon.  I do not reach at #6 for a QB.  I do not blow myself up paying for Romo or Cutler.  I don't waste my time with Hoyer, or Geno Mk. II or Fitz Mk. II. 

2017 would be a year (at QB) dedicated to determining if Petty or Hack are worth anything.  Play them till you know.

The draft pick gives you another prospect to sit, let learn, and work with for 2018 if the #1 and #2 prove themselves incapable.

I then revisit the "What to do?" question after 2017 with a real vision of what and who Petty and Hack are.

Win or lose.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Glennon will probably be carrying too big of a price tag, and #6 and the old guys who don't suck quite as much as Jets QBs don't seem like particularly reliable solutions either.

I agree regarding Hack in theory, but the Jets are never that lucky for it to turn out the way you suggest.  The more likely scenario would be that Hackenberg looks wildly inconsistent, but has a few shining moments to give some a little hope and push the Jets to around 6 wins, ultimately putting them out of contention for a top pick/QB.  The supporters cite the surrounding talent as the reason for his failures (e.g., if Marshall is sent packing, Hack didn't have enough weapons, if Marshall is kept, he was a quitter/problem/washed up), while others think he is already proven as an entirely lost cause.  This carries on for at least another year or two until the process is repeated yet again, likely with a combination of a new draft pick and JAG veteran... and so the cycle continues.

If Hackenberg wins 6 games with this team, and shows some decent moments, I'd actually call that a win at this point.

58 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

People (including reporters) keep saying that Glennon is going to get an Osweiler type of ridiculous deal. I honestly don't see it happening. Glennon hasn't started game in several years, and there are a lot of QBs that can be had via free agency or a trade.

Glennon may come cheaper than people think. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

You are gonna take a bunch of crap for this, but I think you are spot on. Only thing I'll add, extend Macc and Bowles so they have the security to follow the plan. 

Archived