..and there goes Brandon Marshall.

TaborJet

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked what Marshall did off the field with mental issue charity..  I can understand why he didn't want to be a part of this team watching it get blown up.... he doesn't have much time to win a ring so.. I get it but.. UGH that sucks.

It's too bad :(

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know I promised everyone a party the day we cut Marshall, but the contract extension thing really puts a damper on things. Now the party is BYOB. Also there will be no snacks, and everyone has to leave by 9.

I dont believe for a second we had any intention of trying to extend him.

I'm calling BS on the "they offered an extension" thing

Why would you cut a player who is under contract because they wouldn't sign an extension?  Now, maybe they offered to restructure his contract to reduce his cap hit this season, but there's no way in HELL they offered him an extension at his current salary and when he said no, they cut him 

Just now, The Crusher said:

Dude made some outstanding plays for us and dropped a few too. But him leaving so we can draft Sam is truly a sign he loves us. 

It's all part of the Suck-for-Sam 2-year plan. 

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know I promised everyone a party the day we cut Marshall, but the contract extension thing really puts a damper on things. Now the party is BYOB. Also there will be no snacks, and everyone has to leave by 9.

In fairness, the "extension" may have been a paycut dressed up as an extension.

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'm calling BS on the "they offered an extension" thing

Why would you cut a player who is under contract because they wouldn't sign an extension?  Now, maybe they offered to restructure his contract to reduce his cap hit this season, but there's no way in HELL they offered him an extension at his current salary and when he said no, they cut him 

You'd cut a player under contract because they wouldn't sign an extension that lowered the cap number this year and moved it into future years at a reduced rate. This happens all the time. The Jets told Brick take a pay cut, he retired. The Jets offered more years but, in essence, less guaranteed money because I'd imagine the structure would have made him easily cut in future seasons. 

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No what?

We need a BEAST Possession WR again :-( 

Jets are only competitive when we have a 6'2"+  and 200+lbs. WR in our starting lineup: Al Toon, Keyshawn Johnson, Braylon Edwards, B. Marshall

Maynard was 6' 180 lbs. 

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Too bad, I was hoping they could get a low round pick for him from some team...

Same here.  A team like the Ravens or Seattle could have used him and possibly netted us a 6th rounder.

Apparently Marshall ASKED to be released and the Jets obliged rather than hold him ransom for a draft pick.

Jets released WR Brandon Marshall.

Marshall asked for his release in hopes of playing for a team with a better 2017 outlook. The move saves the Jets $7.5 million in cap space. Gang Green's roster purge continues after cutting CB Darrelle Revis, LB Erin Henderson, K Nick Folk, OTs Ryan Clady and Breno Giacomini, and C Nick Mangold. Turning 33 soon, Marshall experienced a significant drop in efficiency in 2016, managing a career-worst 46.1-percent catch rate with three touchdowns on 128 targets. Still, Marshall should draw significant interest from contenders with strong locker rooms. Baltimore beat writers have suggested Marshall as a fit for the Ravens.

Mar 2 - 10:04 PM

Just now, flgreen said:

Think this puts Mike Williams in play in the 1st.  Wonder how Decker's going to react?

Thought the same things. 

Decker MAY not be here either. Looks like he's missing TC '17 and will be damaged goods and not full speed, IMO, until '18

According to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini, there's a "good chance" Eric Decker (hip, shoulder) will miss 2017 training camp.

Decker underwent surgeries on both his hip and rotator cuff, and a report last October stated Decker might not be ready for Week 1. Cimini says Decker's status with the Jets is "up in the air because of health reasons." Thursday's release of Brandon Marshall frees up a ton of targets in the Jets' passing game, but it's unclear whether Decker will return to collect them. Releasing Decker would save the bottoming-out Jets another $5.75 million against the cap.

Source: ESPN New York 
Mar 2 - 10:34 P

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Thought the same things. 

Decker MAY not be here either. Looks like he's missing TC '17 and will be damaged goods and not full speed, IMO, until '18

According to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini, there's a "good chance" Eric Decker (hip, shoulder) will miss 2017 training camp.

Decker underwent surgeries on both his hip and rotator cuff, and a report last October stated Decker might not be ready for Week 1. Cimini says Decker's status with the Jets is "up in the air because of health reasons." Thursday's release of Brandon Marshall frees up a ton of targets in the Jets' passing game, but it's unclear whether Decker will return to collect them. Releasing Decker would save the bottoming-out Jets another $5.75 million against the cap.

Source: ESPN New York 
Mar 2 - 10:34 P

WOW

Going to be interesting to see how they spend the money they are freeing up.  Just to many holes to fill now,  Sure hope they aren't going to try and plug the holes with aging over paid vets.  This is the year to take the lumps.  See what, if anything, the young guys have.  Put some money away, and pray that the two rookie QB's next year are worth the pain.    Everyone seems to be forgetting, but Josh Rosen looks like he's going to be a pretty good QB.

Rot for Rosen :)

59 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You don't know what the extension was, it was probably a "restructured" extension because no way he was getting paid 7.5M for next season

50 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Man I see it coming.  Their going to keep Geno on the cheap.

If Smith signs back with this depleted team he's dimmer then I thought he was.  

That just can't happen. I hope it can't anyway.

Archived