Mac Shopping #6 Pick

SR24

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

We need more picks.   The entire offensive line needs to be replaced.  Who cares if we have a great RB in the first round if there is no one to block for them.

I agree with you 100%.  In 2006 we traded Abraham and got a first rounder.  We had two first round picks everyone wanted Leinart and Bush.  Ended up with Mangold and Ferguson they contributed to those 09 and 10 runs.  We need a lot of OL help and until we get that it doesn't matter who we have on the team.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I'm in a sushi joint in Melville with the wife.  There is a dude on a date with a dwarf at the table across from us.  I am trying to get a photo without being noticed, but I am discovering that it is no "small" task.  Neither is trading the #6 pick in the NFL draft.  God speed Mr MacCagnan.....

lol

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I'm generally all for trading down, but I don't really think it makes sense for this team right now.

Have you seen the number of holes on this team? Even if we select 7 starters from 7 different rounds, we would still have Severalstarters to sign. Unless you think we can pickup 10 starters via FA with $46 mil?

Trading down is the only reasonable way around it and trading down in the first can get you a few premium picks. 

39 minutes ago, Joejet said:

It only means that he is open to listening in any round and if there isn't someone there that he is really interested in he is willing to move down for extra picks.  The other scenario would be if someone really has someone they want and throw out an offer he can't refuse.

This is correct. I am fine with this too.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan: 'We're open for business in every round'

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Bich CuminmiESPN Staff Writer

New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan has put out the word: His draft picks are for sale, including the No. 6 overall pick.

"We're open for business in every round," Maccagnan told reporters Thursday at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. "If somebody wants to move up in any round and we have a pick in that round, call us up."

The Jets are interested in acquiring additional picks because they want to rebuild through the draft and they'd like as many choices as possible "to expedite the process." As of now, they have seven picks, including four in the top 107.

There are certainly plenty of holes to fill.

The Jets have become one of the biggest stories of the offseason, as they've already released five veteran players, including wide receiver Brandon Marshall, cornerback Darrelle Revis and center Nick Mangold. All told, they've cleared about $46 million in cap space.

Team officials don't agree with the perception that the Jets are in a rebuilding phase.

"I know we've made quite a few moves this offseason, but a lot of it is predicated on how we feel about the younger players," Maccagnan said. "With the money we freed up, hopefully we'll be able to help ourselves in different areas."

Quarterback is a priority position, he said. The Jets met on Thursday with the top quarterback prospects -- Deshaun WatsonMitch Trubisky and DeShone Kizer. Chances are, they will try to find a starter in free agency, with Mike Glennon emerging as a likely target.

The Jets have two unproven quarterbacks on the roster in Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, who is recovering from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder. He will start throwing in April, according to Maccagnan.

One position they haven't touched is running back, but Maccagnan didn't rule out the possibility of using the sixth pick -- if he keeps it -- on a running back. The Jets have been linked to LSU's Leonard Fournette in mock drafts.

"Would I consider a running back at six? Absolutely, if I thought he was worth that high a pick," Maccagnan said.

As for the roster purge, Maccagnan hinted that most of the major moves have been made. Sources said players such as Eric DeckerMarcus GilchristCalvin Pryor and Buster Skrine are in jeopardy, depending on whom they sign in free agency. The Jets are expected to shop defensive end Sheldon Richardson.

Maccagnan didn't rule it out, noting they have a "wealth of talent" on the defensive line, and he will "look at all options."

Decker appears safe -- for a few months, anyway. Maccagnan said he wouldn't make a decision on the veteran receiver until he has recovered from hip and shoulder surgeries, adding it will be another few months before Decker's shoulder is healed. He expects Decker to be ready for Week 1.

"Our goal is to get him healthy and then kind of evaluate how he comes off the injuries," Maccagnan said.

.......then cut him post June 1st.:D

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Everyone wants to trade down because we need help everywhere, but that's bullsh*t. What we actually need is credible talent at the positions that matter (QB, WR, CB, EDGE, OLT). Sticking at 6 gives us a realistic shot at Lattimore and at least one of the QBs, not to mention all of the non-Garrett EDGE guys. I guess you can throw Hooker or Adams in there too, assuming one of them runs well enough to at least keep up with Gronk. If all those guys are off the board, fine, trade down all you want. But discussing a scenario that takes all that off the table and leaves us with, I dunno, O.J. Howard or something, especially before the Combine is even over, seems dumb to me.

Understood, and I don't know much of anything about this prospects. But if there's a chance he's going to take a safety or a RB, I'd rather have he lets it be known that those seeking such players should call the Jets if they're the theoretical BAP on the board at the time. It's my understanding no LT prospects are near the #6 pick in value. And I'd bet he's not taking a QB because he's already taken 2 in 2 years with decent picks. He'll bring in a FA to pair with the two he drafted. If he whiffs on a 3rd in 3 years, he wouldn't even get a job as a scout after the Jets fire him.

I can't see anyone making a move to trade up now, since it's equally premature for any other teams as well. Giving him the benefit of the doubt he hasn't earned, this is just putting feelers out there so they hopefully call him instead of him calling them. I guess. But the way he's going about it - the quotes he left in the paper - are so amateurish it's embarrassing.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But the way he's going about it - the quotes he left in the paper - are so amateurish it's embarrassing.

This struck me too. It's so obvious and blundery. It's like he's going out of his way  to extinguish any doubt that he's in way over his head.

4 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I'm in a sushi joint in Melville with the wife.  There is a dude on a date with a dwarf at the table across from us.  I am trying to get a photo without being noticed, but I am discovering that it is no "small" task.  Neither is trading the #6 pick in the NFL draft.  God speed Mr MacCagnan.....

Mac is on a date with a midget? Why should we be surprised. After all, he drafted a dwarf LB. Good grief what is becoming of this team. 

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets need some blue chip players. You aren't going to get that when you trade back to 18 (throwing a random number out there). I don't care about having 100 picks, just hit on the picks you have.

Agree with this 100% we need difference makers on both sides of the ball, trading back into the teens from 6 may be the difference between an all pro player and just a solid piece. Obviously draft is a crapshoot and some star will emerge from the later rounds/picks but you have a better chance of getting that generational talent at 6 then you do if you trade back for more picks. 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

There are tons of elite players that were drafted in the middle of the 1st round. And lots of outright busts throughout the draft, even in the top-10. Mac should absolutely be listening to offers. 

Definitely should be listening but you have to admit in the top 10 you have somewhat of a higher chance of hitting on a superstar then you do in the middle of the draft. But he should be listening in hopes a team will blow him away.

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

Look at what Eric Berry,Earl Thomas,Kam Chancellor etc do for their defenses though. We don't have 1 playmaker in our secondary and both of our safeties are being either cut or shopped. Makes total sense to snag a high level safety and sign a corner, then draft a corner 2nd round.

Take away Chancellor and/or Thomas the Seahawks are still a SB contender because of the qb.  Thomas and Chancellor aren't even in the top 2 of their defense Michael Bennett and Ruchard Sherman are

6 hours ago, SR24 said:

I agree with him and here's my reason. There are so many holes in our secondary and with 2 super talented safeties (Adams/Hooker) it makes sense to draft one of them. Imagine we sign Stephon Gilmore or Bouye then add Adams or Hooker? That's a young talented foundation to the secondary. With a team that has virtually no elite leve talent aside from Williams you can't pass up a top 8 pick. Just my thoughts 

And with zero pass rush and an offense that doesn't stay on the field the wet dream secondary still gets burned

10 minutes ago, Sully said:

Definitely should be listening but you have to admit in the top 10 you have somewhat of a higher chance of hitting on a superstar then you do in the middle of the draft. But he should be listening in hopes a team will blow him away.

It's such a deep draft I can definitely see why Mac is doing this.  Really the 6 pick should be OJ Howard, Tim Williams or Taco but realistically they can all fall to 12 which is the Browns second pick so might as well draft one of them and get another 2nd or 3rd

12 minutes ago, Sully said:

How much higher?   The two best quarterbacks in the NFL neither was a top 10 pick

anyone saying the 6th pick being shopped now is an Idiot. Anyone who is going to want that pick will make the move on draft day when they see how the first few picks play out. Unless they are actually trading a player for the pick

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Great news in my opinion.

I agree. Rack up on picks to we can get olinemen. That doesnt even necessarily mean we must go OL in the 1st if we're able to trade down. 

We can trade down to #18 or #20 for example and pick up OJ Howard or a Christian McCaffery . while still picking up a couple picks from the #6 trade to then rack up on Olinemen in the 2nd round. Either way, trading down this year im in agreement with. Some people may feel some type of way about that given that we have alot of Fournette fans, but truth be told, the Jags are picking before us, and I'd be surprised if Fournette is still on the board. Chris Ivory is done and T.J. Yeldon is a complimentary back, not a feature back. 

10 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

If this happens, he'll most likely get maximum value on draft day -- depending on whether someone is on the board that another team is hot for.  #6 is not quite no man's land, but it isn't the slam dunk value that the top picks are.  Look, any moves that make this team younger, faster, hungrier, etc. are A-OK with me.  We have holes everywhere.  If they wind up getting a lot of value picks this year, I have no issues with waiting until next year to draft star-power.  They have to get the picks right wherever they are.

I would rather draft a Foster than  safety.  I am fond of inside LBs.  But my first desire is an edge guy.

Why is every reaction so extreme? It's like he's just traded the #6 pick for a bag of magic beans.

First - he isn't "shopping the pick", looking to trade it now, all he's saying is he'd be open to offers. Ask ANY GM at the top of the draft and he'll say he's "open to offers".

Second - why NOT be open to offers? If you say now "no way we're trading down" you close off that option for later, and other teams will trade with guys around you instead.

Third - we know Macc is a stickler for value from other non-trades, so it's not likely he'll move down for, as I say, a bag of magic beans. It'll have to be a strong offer to get the pick from us.

My opinion, there's a >90% chance that we pick a player at #6 this year. All this is just noise right now.

I have no problem with trading down and getting more picks.

Given the wholesale house cleaning, I'd be fine with going quantity over top-pick-quality.

To be fair, in a very weak QB draft, we shouldn't go QB at #6 anyway, and should use the down year of 2017 to finish evaluation of Petty and Hack (then toss them if they suck).

So no complaints, as long as the picks he does make contribute.  No more Devin Smiths.

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Everyone wants to trade down because we need help everywhere, but that's bullsh*t. What we actually need is credible talent at the positions that matter (QB, WR, CB, EDGE, OLT). Sticking at 6 gives us a realistic shot at Lattimore and at least one of the QBs, not to mention all of the non-Garrett EDGE guys. I guess you can throw Hooker or Adams in there too, assuming one of them runs well enough to at least keep up with Gronk. If all those guys are off the board, fine, trade down all you want. But discussing a scenario that takes all that off the table and leaves us with, I dunno, O.J. Howard or something, especially before the Combine is even over, seems dumb to me.

Draft is deep at corner and edge. You can trade back a bit and still get what you want.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I have no problem with trading down and getting more picks.

Given the wholesale house cleaning, I'd be fine with going quantity over top-pick-quality.

To be fair, in a very weak QB draft, we shouldn't go QB at #6 anyway, and should use the down year of 2017 to finish evaluation of Petty and Hack (then toss them if they suck).

So no complaints, as long as the picks he does make contribute.  No more Devin Smiths.

smith isn't stephen hill, he may suck but he did produce in college and in fairness, could still be good.  but i am all for trading back.  the value of taking, say, lattimore at 6 may be reasonable, but they're better off if they can even trade back twice, perhaps into the teens, and still get either a good cb, or even a TE like njoku

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Draft is deep at corner and edge. You can trade back a bit and still get what you want.

But to your point, it's true that all of this is way premature anyway. No way of telling who's worth a sh*t until we get the 40 times for the DBs, the jumps for the EDGE guys, and the medicals on everybody.

28 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Again, this team doesn't need deep. It needs good.

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

But to your point, it's true that all of this is way premature anyway. No way of telling who's worth a sh*t until we get the 40 times for the DBs, the jumps for the EDGE guys, and the medicals on everybody.

I wasn't advocating we need deep. I'm saying that talent wise, based on our needs we can pick later and still get an excellent prospect. Your argument that picking later than 6 = can't get a great prospect is a false argument.

7 hours ago, thadude said:

It's such a deep draft I can definitely see why Mac is doing this.  Really the 6 pick should be OJ Howard, Tim Williams or Taco but realistically they can all fall to 12 which is the Browns second pick so might as well draft one of them and get another 2nd or 3rd

Or you can stay at 6 and draft Leonard Fournette or Malik Hooker and have your own Eric Berry or Adrian Peterson type player

Just now, dbatesman said:

This wasn't my argument, but thank you for straightening me out, Ape man

Seemed implicit in what you were saying. Either way, who cares... it's all going to be wrong anyway, because: Jets

14 hours ago, SR24 said:

Just saw it on twitter. Not a fan with Adams/Hooker/Williams being good options but I guess more picks never hurt 

No harm in kicking tires. I would love either Williams or Hooker, think they are huge difference makers. If both are gone, would listen if phone rang.

It's  so easy to say let's trade down and pick up more picks, it's another think to have it happen. Depending on how the board falls of course,  I am in favor of trading down given the holes we have, but it's not as easy as that. The Titans and Jaguars are in a better position then we are to be in a position to trade down. I would think teams would want to get ahead of us given all of our needs, as we can pick various different players on offense and defense.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

No harm in kicking tires. I would love either Williams or Hooker, think they are huge difference makers. If both are gone, would listen if phone rang.

Hooker worries me a bit with his already two offseason surgeries. I don't want another Dee M, injury prone wise. I would be happy with Williams.

Archived