What is the personal vendetta that Belichick has against the Jets?

UnitedWhofans

Interesting nugget by : Belichick has made a trade with 30 of 31 other teams in his tenure (since 2000). The exception: The .

What is Belichick's deal with the Jets? I don't think Woody could engender this kind of vendetta against him, especially given that Woody had just gotten there. Was it a small hatred of Parcells? I don't really know. This predates Spygate too.

Not clear what happened in the declining to be HC of NYJ thing, because he has made peace with Parcells. Had to be some interaction at that time between Johnson and Bellechick or between his agent and the Jets organization that did not go well. But very unusual for any team to make  trade within their division. Cannot imagine the deals the Pats made with the Bills or the Dolphins were big deals anyway. 

Since 2000, as bad as the division has been(ex-Pats) the Jets have been the most consistent threat to the Pats. Played him twice in the playoffs, should have been 3 if Brien could have made a damn kick, and beat him once. Why would he potentially help the Jets with a trade? Seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Not clear what happened in the declining to be HC of NYJ thing, because he has made peace with Parcells. Had to be some interaction at that time between Johnson and Bellechick or between his agent and the Jets organization that did not go well. But very unusual for any team to make  trade within their division. Cannot imagine the deals the Pats made with the Bills or the Dolphins were big deals anyway. 

Welker.

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bills got Drew Bledsoe. Oops already posted!

It's pretty obvious that despite all his success, Bill Belichick is a completely miserable, sorry excuse for a human being. He has an epic sense of entitlement, an attitude that has permeated throughout the organization, especially to his QB and a large part of the fan base. The New York Jets are and should be an insignificant afterthought, but when you are a petty egomaniac, you are unable to let go of perceived (yet unreal) slights. His lack of character (as well as Brady and Kraft) are the reason the Pats can go on to win even 10 rings, and will never be respected, not some fairy tale about jealousy. No one hated Lombardi or Noll. To put it simply, the man is garbage.

17 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's pretty obvious that despite all his success, Bill Belichick is a completely miserable, sorry excuse for a human being. He has an epic sense of entitlement, an attitude that has permeated throughout the organization, especially to his QB and a large part of the fan base. The New York Jets are and should be an insignificant afterthought, but when you are a petty egomaniac, you are unable to let go of perceived (yet unreal) slights. His lack of character (as well as Brady and Kraft) are the reason the Pats can go on to win even 10 rings, and will never be respected, not some fairy tale about jealousy. No one hated Lombardi or Noll. To put it simply, the man is garbage.

How about the Jets were the closest threat to the Patriots in the division since the day Belichick took the Patriots over, we knocked them out of the playoffs in 2002 and we beat them in the playoffs in 2010.  Vendetta or not, no smart GM would help a competitor in the same division.

SAR I

MY personal opinion here.

He was hired to be our coach, then a few weeks later we hired Tuna pushing him to the background with the promise of head coach once Tuna leaves.  That pissed him off, but he stayed on knowing it was his best chance at success in the short term.  Once he got the first opportunity to bolt as a head coach he took it.  That forced Tuna into "retiring" so we wouldn't lose him to a division rival.  He had the contract that said he was the next head coach after Parcells. That REALLY pissed him off since I'm sure Tuna talked it over with Woody before proceeding and almost cost him the Pats job.  they were forced to send us a number 1 pick for his services.  This whole series of events cost us the greatest coach ever and probably ended Tuna's time with us sooner than expected.  Leaving Mumbles feeling jolted/disrespected/angry with the Jets.  And like a bitch (or a irishman) he can't get over it!

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

How about the Jets were the closest threat to the Patriots in the division since the day Belichick took the Patriots over, we knocked them out of the playoffs in 2002 and we beat them in the playoffs in 2010.  Vendetta or not, no smart GM would help a competitor in the same division.

SAR I

Please. We've never been a threat. This clearly is bigger in his weak mind than what is happening on the field. He might be a great coach, but he is a tiny, tiny man.

49 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I'm pretty sure the Dolphin trade was for Wes Welker.

Im going entirely on memeory here, so you instant google nerds may want to research and correct me. The reason for the vendetta is Steve Gutman and the Jets front office when he was here. Gutman and him did not get along and Gutman publicly blasted him telling everyone that he was an unbalanced, snide little douchebag when he left for the Patriots. While Gutman was a total joke as a front office executive, he wasn't wrong. Billy felt betrayed by the Jets, a team he didn't want to coach for, and left stranded and was angered that he lost picks as a result of his back door deal with Kraft to come to the Patriots. He is a small, pathetic person and possibly a total sociopath, but it works for him and he's created a very successful program because of it (and having an owner who empowers him to create his dictatorship). 

3 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Im going entirely on memeory here, so you instant google nerds may want to research and correct me. The reason for the vendetta is Steve Gutman and the Jets front office when he was here. Gutman and him did not get along and Gutman publicly blasted him telling everyone that he was an unbalanced, snide little douchebag when he left for the Patriots. While Gutman was a total joke as a front office executive, he wasn't wrong. Billy felt betrayed by the Jets, a team he didn't want to coach for, and left stranded and was angered that he lost picks as a result of his back door deal with Kraft to come to the Patriots. He is a small, pathetic person and possibly a total sociopath, but it works for him and he's created a very successful program because of it (and having an owner who empowers him to create his dictatorship). 

Great synopsis.  Most accurate one I've seen.  Thanks.

39 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Please. We've never been a threat. This clearly is bigger in his weak mind than what is happening on the field. He might be a great coach, but he is a tiny, tiny man.

Compared to the Bills and Dolphins we have been. But you're right. This strikes deeper. It could very well be the other way around, but it's just weird.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

$1,000,000

From a dying old man.  Wasn't Slob Bill the coach of the Jets in '97 before Fat Bill got out of his contract to come here? It was in the off-season for like a week or something. I know I'm not wrong on that. There was a clause in Slob Bill's contract that he would take the reigns after Fat Bill, but Slob Bill got peevish revenge for feeling slighted. Still think collusion was involved. Fat Bill:  "I never saw this coming."  Slob Bill:  "Oh, pshaw."

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

like you said, it's not clear.  but, imo, and based on his comments, he didn't want to be part of the ownership change and the possibility that he wouldn't be supported.  there are some secondary reports that he wanted to get away from arcells and that he absolutely fell in love with kraft.  i think taking his at is word, he basically chickened out.  for a guy who most likely believes you make your own luck and that competent coaching will rule out and his team would be successful, he sure took a cowards way out.  instead of rising to the challenge of coaching in new he bolted to foxboro.  hence the name bellichicken.

as for the trades, who cares.  it's not like many of his trades worked out for the teams that traded with him.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They also sent Bledsoe to Buffalo after the emergence of Brady. 

and lawyer malloy.  and they seymour to the raiders.  most of his trades have worked out in favor of the patsies.  it always helps to be trading players from winning programs.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Interesting nugget by : Belichick has made a trade with 30 of 31 other teams in his tenure (since 2000). The exception: The .

What is Belichick's deal with the Jets? I don't think Woody could engender this kind of vendetta against him, especially given that Woody had just gotten there. Was it a small hatred of Parcells? I don't really know. This predates Spygate too.

Woody hired Mangini, who BB told to stay away from.  

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

he got an illicit, but better offer and bailed.  Why he hate sus is because of the Spygte stuff.

Even though we've been bad in recent years we've been their biggest threat since BB took over in New England. So thats a reason not to trade with us. The Bills and Dolphins have been pretty terrible throughout their run besides a couple of seasons.

I'm sure there were some bad feelings and harsh words behind closed doors when BB left us to go to NE after being given the job. And not just bad feelings on BB's side. Woody and co had every right to be furious over that. BB may have seen the way the organization ran from top to bottom when he was here with Parcells and just didn't like it but stayed out of loyalty to Bill for a while.

Then throw in spygate, the Rex years and you just have a very bitter rivalry.

If you remember, before Tuna was signed, Lil Bill was the HC of the NYJ, for a very brief time.  Soon as the mess was straightened out with the league, and compensation was given to the Pats for the Tuna, Lil Bill was put back to DC, and told when Tuna moved on Lil Bill would become HC.  Hess even gave him an extra million to sooth him.

When Johnson came in, even though Lil Bill was promised HC, Tuna was given complete power over the team, and Woody did everything he could to keep Tuna as HC, and top executive.   Lil Bill was furious.  He felt, possibly true, that at some point Tuna would take over the team again.

Kraft in retaliation for the way Parcells was taken from the Pats offered BB the HC, with control.  

Archived