Darron Lee

DMan77

I really pull for Lee... Obviously we all know he was the worst rookie LB last year, and looked over matched a lot. I also think he played too fast and often overran the play a lot. 

But I think he has the talent and drive to fix things, if the coaches help him out both in teaching him and on what they ask him to do on the field...

One thing that I think will help this season (in theory) is that he shouldn't be asked as much to cover those big giant TEs that he was put up against last season. He was straight up owned trying to cover those guys alone. He had 0 help.

Now we can potentially have one of our supremely talented safeties (probably Maye), play that roll and take on those TEs, and free Lee up to do what he does best around the middle of the field and with getting after the ball carrier. Maybe he can go back to actually blitzing... I'm looking at you, Bowles. 

It'll continue to be a bad 1st round pick if Lee can't develop just half-way decent pass-coverage skills, but I think strictly as a LB that goes after the ball carrier he can still be really good.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really critical of him last year. I think he needs to do two things:  1) Mature. His tweets last year showed me he had a lot of growing up to do.  2) Just get more experience.

I think he will be okay if he grows up. The mental part scares me more about him than anything physical.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I was really critical of him last year. I think he needs to do two things:  1) Mature. His tweets last year showed me he had a lot of growing up to do.  2) Just get more experience.

I think he will be okay if he grows up. The mental part scares me more about him than anything physical.

There are certain people who think that Bowles did not know how to use Lee.

39 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

There are certain people who think that Bowles did not know how to use Lee.

Well we will find out this year. Bowles has the pieces he wants. He has the coaches he wants. There will be no excuses if the defense doesn't perform. I think they will.

51 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think if adams turns out to be the leader of the Def like he is drafted to be you will see a huge change in lee

15 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I think if adams turns out to be the leader of the Def like he is drafted to be you will see a huge change in lee

Agreed. Lee needs them to simplify things for him. He has the talent.

Intersting take from Bucky Brooks, he was saying about all these hybrid Backer/Safeties tweener types, that are now being employed in coverage schemes.

He believes to counter this, the Offences will return to a more power running style, with Bigger linemen to physically blow them off the ball.

Lee is definatly one of these little guys. I hope he becomes good in coverage? I just don't see him becoming an impact Linebacker. He's a roll guy, coverage, Blitz schemes. 

No way can he handle Linemen coming to the second level, and blocking him. Luxury pick we should have not made in the First for me.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well we will find out this year. Bowles has the pieces he wants. He has the coaches he wants. There will be no excuses if the defense doesn't perform. I think they will.

I would not be drafting to make a coach on the skids viable. i would be drafting for the future of the team. It is not necessarily tied up in the fortunes of a fading coach

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

wouldnt count on the defense being ranked too high this year. no pass rush or cornerbacks and they are going to be out there ALOT with  how bad the offense is going to be

39 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

The silly tweets plus the chemically induced muscle mass tell me he may not be long for the league.

Seen enough already.

Seriously? Lmao. Now rookies get 1 year?

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Agreed, his Mom was quoted in the local paper mid season, saying something like this was the first time in his life that he was on a losing team, seems like the kid has had a privileged life so far (grew up in affluent suburb, QB in High School, loaded Buckeye teams) but now he is in the big leagues playing for a highly critical big city

Probably the first time he has really had to work for it on another level, so he could blame the Jets losing ways and wait for the next opportunity with a "winning" team or step it up and make a difference, lead the way, I think he has the work ethic and skill to make it happen but does he have the maturity and mental toughness? This is where the rubber hits the road, we will see 

It would be nice to have a Buckeye besides Mangold who does well for the Jets

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Put on 20 lbs of muscle or more speed and switch to safety. 

Lee gave up a lot of catches last  year, but in my opinion on a lot of them he had excellent coverage and missed a pass breakup or tackle by inches - which will improve in his second year as he thinks less and plays faster.

Bowles has to figure out how to protect him a bit in the run game and allow him to play more in space, but I expect a big jump forward from both Lee and Jenkins this year.

Gil Brandt put Lee on his All Rookie team, writing 

Like Jones, Lee is a linebacker who thrives in a game built on speed. He has a chance to be a future star. He finished with 73 tackles -- that's a lot of tackles for someone who started just nine times (out of 13)

That doesn't fit the narrative of the trolls on Jetnation, but it's a good endorsement 

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Lee gave up a lot of catches last  year, but in my opinion on a lot of them he had excellent coverage and missed a pass breakup or tackle by inches - which will improve in his second year as he thinks less and plays faster.

Bowles has to figure out how to protect him a bit in the run game and allow him to play more in space, but I expect a big jump forward from both Lee and Jenkins this year.

In fairness, you just described what was said of Kyle Wilson's rookie year. He was right there every pass. He just needed to turn his head around, lol.

I don't know about "a lot" of catches being mere inches away from Lee breaking them up despite excellent coverage, though. There were maybe a couple such plays.

Players don't typically get worse after their rookie seasons, so he should improve. 

Ray Lewis had his worst year when the Ravens suffered a slew of injuries on their Dline, especially Ngata who kept lineman tied up & unable to get to him so he could just run sideline to sideline.

The Jets were adapting to losing Snacks, replaced him with a guy not nearly as stout in McClendon, on top of Mo having a terrible year, Richarsson trying to play OLB, and literally zero safeties that could cover any ground. 

So, you guys expected a rookie, learning a new system in while trying to cover guys like Bennett to make the probowl in his 1st year, lol. I saw a guy very close to making plays and a guy that DID make a few plays slashing through & at least making open field tackles. Timmons in Pittsburgh was also panned by Steelers fans. Playing LB in the NFL takes a couple years to settle into coming from college. The game is just SO MUCH faster & the lineman are much better as a whole than what's they faced in college. Bottom line is way too much is expected instantly by fans, it just doesn't work that way, sorry.

My take-
Lee will become a premier pass defender. Great open space tackler to boot.
He'll always be a liability against the run. And will get taken off the field on goal line and short yardage situations eventually.

Crazy how I haven't worried about the run defense for a while. Deja Vu pre Rex Ryan era when teams ran up and down on the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Put on 20 lbs of muscle or more speed and switch to safety. 

So you're​ saying the Jets will have 5 hybrid safeties. Remember when Antonio Allen was one of these but was like a 7th round pick.

Gil Brandt put Lee on his All Rookie team, writing 
Like Jones, Lee is a linebacker who thrives in a game built on speed. He has a chance to be a future star. He finished with 73 tackles -- that's a lot of tackles for someone who started just nine times (out of 13)
That doesn't fit the narrative of the trolls on Jetnation, but it's a good endorsement 

That's like Vilma, a lot of tackles but 5 yds passed the LOS...

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Darron Lee is truly a stud, it would seem to me we wouldn't have needed to draft 2 safeties in rounds 1 and 2. 

Totally disagree. So does the game film. How many times did players in our secondary look around at each other after a long pass play? Time for a clean sweep in the secondary. No more pointing fingers time for plays.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Totally disagree. So does the game film. How many times did players in our secondary look around at each other after a long pass play? Time for a clean sweep in the secondary. No more pointing fingers time for plays.

Just seems like a lot of draft capital spent to try to contain TE's, RB wheel routes, and the occasional deep bomb, especially when your HC is a secondary guy and we'd already spent so much cap money on the secondary just to see it play terribly in Year 2. 

If this fails there will be finger pointing at our HC, and rightly so. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just seems like a lot of draft capital spent to try to contain TE's, RB wheel routes, and the occasional deep bomb, especially when your HC is a secondary guy.

If this fails there will be finger pointing at our HC, and rightly so. 

Yes. It is risky and it has to work.

If the defense is bad next year Bowles needs to be fired No Doubt.

If they kept Snacks Lee woulda been DROY. I like Lee a lot. He was a second behind a lot of plays last year, still learning and not trusting what he was seeing. He'll get better at diagnosing plays. He's gonna be a good one.

the smurf talk Is funny but untrue. He's the size and speed you want for today's game. 

His tweets scare me tho

Archived