Time to bench Mo for the season

AFJF

Much like the Redskins did with RG III a couple seasons ago to avoid a huge salary obligation if he was injured, any season-ending injury to Mo will mean the Jets are on the hook for his $16.7 million next season.  Anyone doubt for one second that he'll fake an injury over the next week or two?

Per Brian Costello:

Here is one thing to watch: Wilkerson’s $16.75 million salary in 2018 is guaranteed for injury. That means if Wilkerson suffers a serious, season-ending injury this year, the Jets will be on the hook for him and he won’t be going anywhere. It is something to watch as Wilkerson is already dealing with shoulder and toe injuries. Neither of them appear to be overly serious right now, but Jets coach Todd Bowles did not rule out surgery on the toe when asked about it this week.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hold  on guys hear me out.  How all of a sudden is Mo Wilk a JAG?  Kacy Rodgers is part to blame in all this he has single handily ruined Sheldon Richardson here and now Mo Wilk?  Something is wrong. 

Right.  Kacy is forcing Mo to not give a $h!t.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No Kacy is not using Mo to his advantage or scheming the D to make Mo matter. 

So please tell us how Kacy is using him now, and why that strategy won't work, and what method he could employ that would get Mo to stop acting as if he's in a mid-week walk through in the future.

42 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If they pull him for the season now, they can cut him during the offseason and save $17 million with just a $3 mil cap charge.

regardless of how much sense it makes (& it makes plenty) to sit, then cut wilkerson during the off season, i don't believe for a nanosecond bowles will bench him.. my guess is he would need to be mandated to do so..

history has shown, that bowles has no issues with playing & staying with underachieving/coasting big name veterans..

2 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

regardless of how much sense it makes (& it makes plenty) to sit, then cut wilkerson during the off season, i don't believe for a nanosecond bowles will bench him.. my guess is he would need to be mandated to do so..

history has shown, that bowles has no issues with playing & staying with underachieving/coasting big name veterans..

You're right, but if that's what it takes, fine.  When Mac meets with Christopher Johnson, explain that they have a guy on the team who doesn't like playing football anymore and is in position to get over $30 million from the team if the continues to play him simply by saying something hurts.  Hopefully that would be enough to get him to make Bowles bench him.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think Mo gets a couple of weeks, max.  The Jets are trying to compete now.  But it could be smart to bench/ir him.  Let the others play. 

If they’re trying to compete, that’s one more reason to sit him.  Completely invisible out there.  Averaging two tackles a game and no sacks.  Zero effort.

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hold  on guys hear me out.  How all of a sudden is Mo Wilk a JAG?  Kacy Rodgers is part to blame in all this he has single handily ruined Sheldon Richardson here and now Mo Wilk?  Something is wrong. 

Do tell!

Please explain further!

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow, did not see this coming but it has to be considered with that clause in the contract 

really thought that D-line was going to be special before the Jets lost snacks

Extremely disappointing and waste of draft capital.   Really was hoping that group would be the second coming of the sack exchange.    Mix in injuries, lack of effort, offensive line's ability to hold at will and stupidity, this is what we are left with.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

If they pull him for the season now, they can cut him during the offseason and save $17 million with just a $3 mil cap charge.

I beleive the cap charge is $9 million, which is $3 million signing for each if the next 3 years, and would save them 16.7 million dollars in new money.  However, it would only save them 7.7 million dollars in cap space.

Either way, you're right!  Sit his ass.  I would even take it one step further by using him as an example.  Cut him Monday if he doesnt show up tomorrow.  Yes, the Jets would be on the hook for the rest of this years salary, i get that.  Wouldn't it be refreshing to see this organization show the world and more importantly, the locker room that they wont execpt this type of behavior?

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

When was he not J.A.G.? He was a steady player that was maybe above average. He was never a force when it mattered. From what I remember, and I may be wrong, he would have great games against sh*t teams and performed disappearing acts against good teams. Also one thing I have noticed is that Jets fans almost always look at their guys without any context. We're used to sh*t play so anytime a guy isn't absolute dog sh*t we want to rush to Fitzpatrick them. 

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

When was he not J.A.G.? He was a steady player that was maybe above average. He was never a force when it mattered. From what I remember, and I may be wrong, he would have great games against sh*t teams and performed disappearing acts against good teams. Also one thing I have noticed is that Jets fans almost always look at their guys without any context. We're used to sh*t play so anytime a guy isn't absolute dog sh*t we want to rush to Fitzpatrick them. 

He was voted as a top 100 player two years, and a top 50 player one year, if I remember correctly. His peers saw him as a premier player (NFL Network's player rankings, voted on by the players). 

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

You're right, but if that's what it takes, fine.  When Mac meets with Christopher Johnson, explain that they have a guy on the team who doesn't like playing football anymore and is in position to get over $30 million from the team if the continues to play him simply by saying something hurts.  Hopefully that would be enough to get him to make Bowles bench him.

what you cosigned on, is just one of the reasons i don't want bowles to get an extension..

even with the late for & missed meetings & practices after getting paid last season.. even after watching the guy play like he couldn't give a **** for the last season & more than a quarter.. even with all of the financial information at his disposal, knowing the franchise could get out of a crippling contract by sitting wilkerson, we agree, bowles would play the guy anyway!!

that is beyond damning.. in my eyes, anyway..

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

So please tell us how Kacy is using him now, and why that strategy won't work, and what method he could employ that would get Mo to stop acting as if he's in a mid-week walk through in the future.

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Do tell!

Please explain further!

Im no DC and I really don't know his strengths and weaknesses but ironically Sheldon Richardson had the same results as Mo Wilk is having, who knows but the sad part is we paid him a lot of money for nothing.

Maybe we can trade him before the trade deadline. 

What a **** up by Mac .He trades Sheldon then most likely cut mo , wtf, we were supposed to keep one . Now these idiots are gonna take another dline man in first round like the other hundred times. Should've never traded Sheldon I knew we were gonna regret it.It doesn't matter if the guy is an a$$hole , if he produces and helps win games it could fly.

28 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

What a **** up by Mac .He trades Sheldon then most likely cut mo , wtf, we were supposed to keep one . Now these idiots are gonna take another dline man in first round like the other hundred times. Should've never traded Sheldon I knew we were gonna regret it.It doesn't matter if the guy is an a$$hole , if he produces and helps win games it could fly.

What drugs you on to rant about hypotheticals?  

36 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

7 minutes ago, SOJ said:

What drugs you on to rant about hypotheticals?  

Same drugs we will all be wanting after the last QB go's in the draft and we end up with " can't miss " D lineman. A-gain! 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

He was voted as a top 100 player two years, and a top 50 player one year, if I remember correctly. His peers saw him as a premier player (NFL Network's player rankings, voted on by the players). 

Oh, ok. Popularity vote, forget his impact or lack there of during games, we're just going with high school politics. Got it.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Same drugs we will all be wanting after the last QB go's in the draft and we end up with " can't miss " D lineman. A-gain! 

oh, don't leave out these guys are never speed edge rushers!!

but wait, there's still some  hope.. any injury prone CBs projected to go in the top 10?? 

Archived