49ers Trading CB Rashard Robinson to Jets

17 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

But he was just benched and might have even been cut by niners.   In comparison, Kelvin Benjamin for traded for a 3rd and Ajay for a 4th.  Maybe this guy was worth a 7th that could have become a 5th if he played well.

Kelvin Benjamin also has a 8.5 million dollar salary next year and is a free agent after that, for a team that is rebuilding.  I don't get that from Buffalo's end, at all.

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not to nitpick, but those don't really measure speed.  You said he's slow. He isn't slow, he has issues with change of direction it would appear.

Either way, those are concerning numbers for a CB, but lots of people talk about his clear talent, so there is no reason anyone(not saying you specifically) should be immediately against this

Change of direction speed is fairly important for the position. 

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He's 22 y/o..

So is Hackenberg.

But I agree that at least he is young and can develop in a system hopefully more suited to his skills.   Here is hoping we got a steal.   I am mostly upset that we have drafted 3 young corners in last 2 drafts who are not stepping up given the opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

For a 5th?

I dont like this trade.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why?

Just now, Tony MaC said:

I don't like the idea of this team giving up draft picks right now- especially for a fringe player. Plus how much you wanna bet we could have gotten him off waivers in a week?

It is part of the bigger trade to be made before the draft.. Mac told Lynch that he would take Robinson for a 5th now as long as Lynch only trades the number 1 overall pick to us.

Totally made up thought but maybe... just maybe..mac is an evil genius? prob not but i had to try

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not to nitpick, but those don't really measure speed.  You said he's slow. He isn't slow, he has issues with change of direction it would appear.

Either way, those are concerning numbers for a CB, but lots of people talk about his clear talent, so there is no reason anyone(not saying you specifically) should be immediately against this

Anyone know Cro's 3 cone?  He was straight line fast but IMO slow when having to change direction..This guy looks to be of similar body type so probably best suited on the outside

Just now, Beerfish said:

Moves like this will show whether the gm is a good one or not.  If the guy comes in and is a decent startre long term then its a great trade, anything less and it will suck.  Mac must really like the guy.

I agree, but his track record with trades has been very good. Probably the best part of his tenure here

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Anyone know Cro's 3 cone?  He was straight line fast but IMO slow when having to change direction..This guy looks to be of similar body type so probably best suited on the outside

He didn't run it at the combine.  Tore his ACL 8 months prior, probably too soon to push it in drills like that.

Mo Claiborne ran 7.01.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

175lbs and slow. Awesome 

32 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A 7.3 3 cone and a 1.6 shuttle is BRUTAL for a CB. Add on he’s skinny. 

There may have been extenuating circumstances.  The kid did not play from like week 10 of 2014.  He had all of 2015 off and I doubt he was working out hard which can really make a difference on the shuttles.  5 reps on the bench seem proof of that.  There is a good chance that he did not properly prep for the combine and workouts, having been away from the program for that long and having maturity/character issues.  According to some, he supposedly ran a 4.28/4.33 at LSU pro day.  I think Brandt had him at 4.43 and described him being a straight line player, but having shown great ball skills in the workout.

33 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

4.4 speed is considered slow now ?

4.49 at the combine.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

PFF disagrees 

Maybe not.

Sophomore CB Rashard Robinson appears to be locked in as the 49ers' starting right cornerback.

Robinson was the 49ers' lowest-graded cornerback by Pro Football Focus last season, but the new coaching staff likes his size (6'2/171) and intangibles. "He’s a dog. I like him," said first-year DC Robert Saleh. "He’s made of the right stuff, his attitude, his mindset is unique for a corner." The 49ers' secondary will be one to attack in daily fantasy throughout the 2017 season.
ets acquired CB Rashard Robinson from the 49ers in exchange for a 2018 fifth-round pick.
The 2016 fourth-rounder had started 7-of-8 games for the 49ers this season, but struggled mightily, grading out as one of Pro Football Focus' worst cornerbacks. He was benched for Week 8. 

34 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Anyway, the pick is gone, the player is here and is young.  So hopefully our new DB coach can develop him.

Under 30? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't think Bowles knowing about the trade beforehand means much of anything. The deal could have developed quickly and they simply might not have had time to let him know. He could have already been in the middle of his PC.

pretty sure Rivera didn't know about Benjamin trade either or at least that it was finalized..

GM's job is to get the players...who knows what has gone on the past 24-48 hours behind the scenes...FO could have told Bowles there are some names/positions being made available and we might be able to acquire...Looking at the CBs the Jets have drafted and obtained since Bowles has been HC it's pretty clear he likes tall, long CBs that can play press/man..Skrine is the smallest and was signed as a slot..Robinson fits the Bowles CB mold

• Sympathy 4

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

pretty sure Rivera didn't know about Benjamin trade either or at least that it was finalized..

GM's job is to get the players...who knows what has gone on the past 24-48 hours behind the scenes...FO could have told Bowles there are some names/positions being made available and we might be able to acquire...Looking at the CBs the Jets have drafted and obtained since Bowles has been HC it's pretty clear he like tall, long CBs that can play press/man..Skrine is the smallest and was signed as a slot..Robinson fits the Bowles CB mold

Agreed

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That did concern me until somebody here said that they switched Defensive playbooks in between seasons. Apparently he succeeded in a man to man last year and they switched

Maybe if you would read the post and quotes you would see that they graded him as the 49ers worst for 2016.  Remember, the 49ers D sucked in 2016.  Do you have any idea of this different playbook?  The guy they brought in had this kid #1CB and installed a system styled after the Seahawks.  Does that sound like he lost his opportunity because of scheme?  His problem this year has apparently been penalties, which unfortunately sounds very familiar. 

This isn't rocket science.  If he ends up playing significant snaps and tones down the penalties, it was a good trade.  Most 5th round picks are crapshoots anyway.  And while ammunition is all good, I don't think the 5th rounder will be the difference between trading up for a QB or whiffing and having to take another defensive player.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3