Bowles: McCown Starter "Through End of Year"

southtown24th

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCown is 38 going to be 39- how can you get any idea if Petty and or Hackenberg can play or backup at least makes no sense to me. The Jets will be eliminated after New Orleans game most probably. Use those last two games for either Petty or Hackenburg

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

McCown should start, he is playing great. How do you bench him, as he is clearly the best QB on the roster, then tell the other player to go out there and bust there ass? 

How do you start mo wilk when he is clearly not the best player,.  how do you start two rookie safeties when we could have brought in a 12 year vet safety?

If you take that tact you will NEVER play a rookie QB.  Darnold?  rosen?  Mayfield?  At this point in time none of them are better than a 15 year vet, thus the 15 year vet who will be 39 next year has to start every game.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Guys...

Guys...

Guys...

Bryce Petty isn't good.

Neither is Christian Hackenberg.

Don't tell anyone tho, ok?

As has been said, as long as both are bone in the off season this line of thinking is fine.  I can bet you that the line 'We have to see what we have.' will be uttered by someone in the Jets org concerning those guys next year.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Guys...

Guys...

Guys...

Bryce Petty isn't good.

Neither is Christian Hackenberg.

Don't tell anyone tho, ok?

It’s McCown who sucks azz wise guy. His lifetime record is 23-49 with a 81 QBR. Pathetic. He’s been a perennial back up his entire career.  But of course he has a golden moment towards the end of his career and screws us out of a franchise QB. I guess you’re into mediocre. 

the proper answer is 'As long as we're mathematically alive for the post season, McCown is our QB. If there comes a time where we're out of the race, we'll step back and evaluate the roster'

But Bowles being Bowles. He really wants that 7th win of the season.  And if he tells you a QB aint good, he must not be good.  

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

It’s McCown who sucks azz wise guy. His lifetime record is 23-49 with a 81 QBR. Pathetic. He’s been a perennial back up his entire career.  But of course he has a golden moment towards the end of his career and screws us out of a franchise QB. I guess you’re into mediocre. 

I don’t think McCown is good but he is way better than those 2 clowns we have on the bench getting free money

At this point whats the difference? Of course McCown will start. Depending on what happens in FA he maybe our starter next year as well. If they don't get Counsins that is. Can you imagine if they chase Counsins and fail and McCown gets pissed off that they did chase Counsins and tells them to screw off? It could workout that way. Come next season you could be wishing we had McCown.

12 minutes ago, BigO said:

Do you have some kind of brain injury?  Because my post doesn't mention McCown.

What  he's saying is: I want to win. If you're building a culture with young players that's how you do it. Not tank a season for a questionable draft pick. The Qb play we're getting out of McCown is good enough to win in the NFL. It's above average. I don't think anybody in the NFL wants to play the Jets. As for Qb next season we'll wait and see what they do. Probably they will draft a Qb in the first round and possibly trade up for somebody. 

35 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

McCown should start, he is playing great. How do you bench him, as he is clearly the best QB on the roster, then tell the other player to go out there and bust there ass? 

Did you see what they did to Eli Manning last week? In favor of GENO SMITH? HELLO!

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What  he's saying is: I want to win. If you're building a culture with young players that's how you do it. Not tank a season for a questionable draft pick. The Qb play we're getting out of McCown is good enough to win in the NFL. It's above average. I don't think anybody in the NFL wants to play the Jets. As for Qb next season we'll wait and see what they do. Probably they will draft a Qb in the first round and possibly trade up for somebody. 

And that QB will not be as good as mccown because mccown is a 17 year vet thus mccown should play the whole season.  And he year after since the drafted Qb has not had any game time then he will not be as good as the next 15 year vet we pick up.

Philly and the Rams were fools for playing wentz and goff last year because those young guys being poor hurt the development of the rest of the team......oh wait.....

If Hackenberg or Petty were our QB, would we be looking at the Jets as 'set' at WR? Or would we probably think the guys are trash because they don't have somebody to get them the football? That means something and reasons like that are why McCown has quarterbacked this team this season.

I hated the decision at first but it is painfully obvious at this point that neither Hack or Petty is the answer. They don't need a chance, they just haven't earned one.

22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

This is a very valid point.  If you ask - why would Bowles come out with this declaration?

The only logical answer is he's trying to build a winning mentality and culture - saying we ALWAYS play to win - this organization will ALWAYS give you the best chance to win - week in and week out.  

This is a young team and I can understand the logic...

I don't necessarily agree with it but I can understand why he's doing it.

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

It tells me neither Petty or Hack will be on the Roster next. They draft a QB, re- sign McCown to mentor, and maybe another vet. 

This I have to agree with - if either of them are on the roster next year then this coach and GM should be fired.

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If Hackenberg or Petty were our QB, would we be looking at the Jets as 'set' at WR? Or would we probably think the guys are trash because they don't have somebody to get them the football? That means something and reasons like that are why McCown has quarterbacked this team this season.

I hated the decision at first but it is painfully obvious at this point that neither Hack or Petty is the answer. They don't need a chance, they just haven't earned one.

Agreed.  At this point the only logical explanation is that both Hack and Petty suck.  Neither guy is capable of playing at this level and everyone involved with the team sees that: Macc, Bowles, Morton, Bates, players, everyone.  Neither guy has earned the opportunity to play.

But, if that is the case, then neither guy should be back next year.  No reason to have them take up roster spots if you are afraid to play them in a regular season game, even if it is meaningless in the standings.

Archived