So if we sign Cousins in FA, and Lamar Jackson is sitting there in rd 2...

Pointdexter

I've just always believed in aquiring talented players when you get a chance. Jackson is one of the 5 most gifted players in this draft athletically. If Bates can't find ways to incorporate someone like that into the offense from day 1 then he isn't worth squat as an OC. For a 2nd rounder, the ROI is well worth it.

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Do we pull the trigger? So sick of not having young, talented developmental QBs. With Jackson's athleticism he can still help us day 1 in various roles. Meanwhile he learns behind a true pro for some much needed apprenticeship. Not the worst way to spend a 2nd rd pick, imo.

No, not for Jackson, no.  

Unless we want a future WR who will be bitter he didn't work out at QB.

Jackson is an asset am elite roster can absorb.  We're not that team, and he is not a future franchise QB, so no.

If we sign Cousins, the priority is to build a quality offense around him.  Not draft backup WR's with 2nd Round Picks.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Not to mention:

"Ay yo Cousins, remember that nightmare situation with RG3? How you like Lamar Jackson?"

Haha I can't see that ever happening because it would mean we do not believe Cousins is a franchise QB and thus signing him to that mega deal is beyond moronic 

Yeah the redskins doing that years ago did not work at all for them.  I'm sure we would rather draft the next lorenzolauldin in the 3rd round than possibly the next kirk cousins or garapollo

Just now, Beerfish said:

Yes 100% for sure if you don't like jackson pick another guy but the mere existence of cousins proves that double dipping when you have 'your guy' is a smart move.

I don't believe that is a good idea when using premium picks. You wanna take a QB round 4 like Cousins, I'm 100% for that but definitely not in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah the redskins doing that years ago did not work at all for them.  I'm sure we would rather draft the next lorenzolauldin in the 3rd round than possibly the next kirk cousins or garapollo

See you are twisting the situations. I'd love to get the next Kirk Cousins/Jimmy G so we have a surplus of QBs but Lamar Jackson in the 2nd is not Kirk Cousins in the 4th and it certainly isn't Jimmy G who would be sitting behind a 38 year old QB.

Sigh, if they Sign Cousins...and I don't want them to, you don't draft any QB in the first 4 rounds.  

W/ the guaranteed money the bozo's will have to offer he's the QB for the next 5 years. If he gets hurt, you're screwed anyway with all the guaranteed money they'll have to throw at him.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, not for Jackson, no.  

Unless we want a future WR who will be bitter he didn't work out at QB.

Jackson is an asset am elite roster can absorb.  We're not that team, and he is not a future franchise QB, so no.

If we sign Cousins, the priority is to build a quality offense around him.  Not draft backup WR's with 2nd Round Picks.

Take the kid from Richmond in the 5 th or so if we want a competent back up and possible heir apparent.  Yet after the combine he might move up a bit. Maybe this years Jimmy G. 

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

Do we pull the trigger? So sick of not having young, talented developmental QBs. With Jackson's athleticism he can still help us day 1 in various roles. Meanwhile he learns behind a true pro for some much needed apprenticeship. Not the worst way to spend a 2nd rd pick, imo.

won't be there

If Cousins is signed, I'd rather see the first three or four rounds be used to fill in the many holes that the team has. Resign McCown and call it a day.  No need to waste a premium pick on a player that will have to wait for 3-4 years at least to have a shot at starting at QB. 

That is a good idea, but I think that is a luxury pick.  Wentz is on a rookie contract, and the Eagles could afford to pay Foles and others.  

if the Jets sign Cousins, their QB budget will basically be Cousins and draft picks.  So they will eventually need to upgrade the QBs throught the draft and maybe develop a cheaper alternative to Cousins if he gets greedy. 

But for 2018, if Cousins is signed the QBs should be Cousins, and 2 of Hack, Petty, Draft Pick.  That would be the responsible move, but given the cap space I could see Mac signing a vet for more money to ensure that a potential playoff entry actually happens and his job is preserved.  

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Take the kid from Richmond in the 5 th or so if we want a competent back up and possible heir apparent.  Yet after the combine he might move up a bit. Maybe this years Jimmy G. 

1. Kirk Cousins

2. Luke Falk (3rd Round Pick)

3. Christian Hackenberg

That would be a pretty good way to revise the QB position IMO.

But even if Falk was available in the 3rd, we should probably pass and pick more assets to help Kirk.

While it's risky, I might even say 1. Cousins, 2. Hackenberg 3. Some UDFA is fine for the 2018 season as we focus our available FA money and picks on assets that help Kirk, and not into developmental or backup players.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Kirk Cousins

2. Luke Falk (3rd Round Pick)

3. Christian Hackenberg

That would be a pretty good way to revise the QB position IMO.

But even if Falk was available in the 3rd, we should probably pass and pick more assets to help Kirk.

While it's risky, I might even say 1. Cousins, 2. Hackenberg 3. Some UDFA is fine for the 2018 season as we focus our available FA money and picks on assets that help Kirk, and not into developmental or backup players.

I like the kid from Richmond you should too. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, you can’t do it because Cousins would have aneurysm. On the other hand, it’d be smart from a PR perspective because, after watching Cousins for six games, Jets fans will want to know what’s next.

I also like the idea of hedging your bets and having a contingency plan once Cousins turns to the mush.  That said, I think this decision is predicated on how much you like Jackson vs. say; Lauretta, Faulk, White, etc. If I were to guaranteed one of them in the next round or 2, I'd much rather use that pick on a skillz position.  Should be some solid options still in the 2nd round. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I also like the idea of hedging your bets and having a contingency plan once Cousins turns to the mush.  That said, I think this decision is predicated on how much you like Jackson vs. say; Lauretta, Faulk, White, etc. If I were to guaranteed one of them in the next round or 2, I'd much rather use that pick on a skillz position.  Should be some solid options still in the 2nd round. 

I like Falk's film a lot

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes 100% for sure if you don't like jackson pick another guy but the mere existence of cousins proves that double dipping when you have 'your guy' is a smart move.

Yup.  As do the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles.  If you think Jackson can become a player, you absolutely take him.  Then you have the luxury of sitting him for 2 seasons and then figuring out what's next.

I think if the Jets trade down from 6 they would actually have the luxury of drafting Jackson. 

Personally I think he CAN develop into a franchise QB. My biggest concern with him is injury. But if the Jets end up with a mid 1st, 3 second round picks and two third round picks once they trade down, and they really liked Jackson, I have ZERO problem drafting him. They can still address O-line, Pass rusher, RB and CB in the first 3 rounds.  

18 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

If KC winds up a NYJ hell yeah draft Lauletta.

He looks like the next Jimmy G.

Just like BB does you keep taking QBs even when you have a star on the roster.

I lived down here and got to see him play once. Nice touch nice anticipation on his passes. Perfect kid to pick and sit behind a vet for awhile 

Archived