ESPN Denver Radio: Vikings in drivers seat for Cousins

bitonti

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

We are on the same page...same paragraph :)

To be fair, we were lower down than PHI that year so we really didn't have as much of a shot to trade up.  Can't kill Macc for that.  Still, I wish Macc had shown a little flair for moving up to get a guy we need.  Instead we have only seen him move down to go away from a guy we really need (Elflein) to take some JAGs.  I actually wish we had Tanny back right now because if nothing else, that move to get Sanchez - no matter how it worked out - was awesome and we need some of that this year.

Yes and no. We were only 5 slots lower than the Rams, who moved up to #1, and were also dangling Mo as trade bait. Mo wasn't worth the 1st rounder (or more) that Macc was seeking, but he certainly had the value to equate or eliminate the divide between the Rams at #15 and Jets at #20.

In the end, our GM turned it down because his secret ace in the hole was the guy he probably wanted in the first place: Christian Hackenberg.

It only makes it worse that taking either QB at #1 would have been worth the move-up, so even he couldn't have screwed up the pick once he was there.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

That’s more than the fear - that’s the reality. 

1) blow cash on a stop gap qb

2) bypass a 1st round QB for a cb 

3) use a 3rd round pick on a qb flier

anyone who doesn’t think this is the most likely scenario hasn’t been following this team long enough 

Not a chance this will happen. Surest way for them to lose their job. People have been saying all along they are totally in on this rebuild, which means drafting a QB high this year. Cousins could have blown that concept up, but it looks like, thankfully, he will be a Viking. I would have preferred him to be a Bronco, but whatever. Bridgewater and Keenum are not going back to Minnesota - just heard that on NFL Network. Hmmm, I wonder why.

29 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I think in general the Jets have more selling to do than Minnesota and Denver, given how much Cousins is into the Christian lifestyle, and the fact that we probably don't have as many pieces to the puzzle as either of those teams. 

The good news is that the Vikings already have two pretty good QBs, so I'm not sure why they would shell out top dollar for another one. Denver is obviously interested but how does their cap situation stack up to the Jets?

In the end, I'm hoping money talks, as well as the Christian community in New Jersey. 

Barring a transaction between now and then, at 4:01 pm on March 14th the only QB on the Vikings' roster will be Kyle Sloter. 

41 minutes ago, Pac said:

Actually I believe if she has her druthers Kirk will be a Jet...  What the F is there for her to do in Min-E-sotah.

So again..  if he loves the Vikings he'll go there..  if he's a bit more indecisive he'll defer to her.

it's math.  I thought that was your thing.

what part of this is math

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

If Cousins signs somewhere else, it’s not because the Jets are a toilet fire, it’s because of his skank hooker wife

Guys.  Did I miss something she did/said?  If not, can we wait until she pulls a Miko Grimes act before we start slandering her?  Players are fair game.  Not sure wives and families in general should be unless they deserve it.  

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Help me understand intrest in Bridgewater, please.

He was a two-year player (2014 and 2015) who barely broke 3,000 yards passing, and was basicly a 1-1 TD/INT guy for a middle-of-road Vikings team (7-9, then 11-5+1-and-done behind one of Adrian Peterson's best year at RB).

He then suffered a catostophic non-contact leg injury, basicly blowing apart everything that matters in his knee.  

He then had to rehab for almost all of the past two years.  He's been out as long as he played so far in his career.

He then came back, and the only pass of any note he threw as a backup was an INT.

Why would I want this player to be our QB for 2018?  Help me understand?  All I see is a very mediocre QB who likely will never be the same and will always be a leg injury risk on that fully rebuilt knee, a knee he blew out without even being hit.

i don't have a great answer for you -- but i think the overwhelming sentiment was that Teddy played good ball in college. Not the scrambling variety, but good pocket QB football. He then begin a conservative, yet promising career with the Vikings. He was coming along in year 2. That much is true. Not a world beater like Wentz in year 2, but there was sound football being played... 

So it's a case of "what if" combined with "he didn't suck" and you get a "why not".... 

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If things continue in this direction, and we enter the draft looking for our QB...

Thursday, April 26th will be as tense as a superbowl for me. My stomach is going to be in knots all day. It'll be cold sweats and clammy hands at 8pm.

I'll be right there with you. I'd LOVE to have the QB thing settled BEFORE the draft. Nothing worse than having us give up draft picks to move up to #3 or so.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

i don't have a great answer for you -- but i think the overwhelming sentiment was that Teddy played good ball in college. Not the scrambling variety, but good pocket QB football. He then begin a conservative, yet promising career with the Vikings. He was coming along in year 2. That much is true. Not a world beater like Wentz in year 2, but there was sound football being played... 

So it's a case of "what if" combined with "he didn't suck" and you get a "why not".... 

So a badly hurt developing journeyman-type QB.

You're right, that's not a great answer. :lol:

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

If things continue in this direction, and we enter the draft looking for our QB...

Thursday, April 26th will be as tense as a superbowl for me. My stomach is going to be in knots all day. It'll be cold sweats and clammy hands at 8pm.

Especially when you know that half this forum will absolutely hate whoever we end up taking and have a built in irrational hate for that player until or Unless he wins a super bowl. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So a badly hurt developing journeyman-type QB.

You're right, that's not a great answer. :lol:

Well, yes. There's that side of the coin. A Teddy-B signing does have low-ceiling stink all over it.

On the other hand, Bridgewater went into the offseason that year with a ton of momentum. Like, lets be fair. He was coming on, with a reasonable degree of heat. Had he not blown his knee into asteroid dust, he may very well have become "the man" in year 3. It's not like he gave reason to doubt that was possible.

I think he's got potential. I'm OK with it -- but not at the expensive of a QB @6 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Well, yes. There's that side of the coin. A Teddy-B signing does have low-ceiling stink all over it.

On the other hand, Bridgewater went into the offseason that year with a ton of momentum. Like, lets be fair. He was coming on, with a reasonable degree of heat. Had he not blown his knee into asteroid dust, he may very well have become "the man" in year 3. It's not like he gave reason to doubt that was possible.

I think he's got potential. I'm OK with it -- but not at the expensive of a QB @6 

Bradford didn't prevent the eagles from taking Wentz and Glennon didn't prevent the bears from taking trubisky. Outside of cousins, there is no reason for the Jets to pass on a young QB at 6 or move up to get one. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's not a terrible plan B/C

we should be able to pay more without hurting our draft or filling wholes. Let the draft falls where it may because we can not afford to trade picks to move up. Whomever we get at 6 should help immediately. I hope it is the running back from Penn because he is an admitted Jet fan. But I do nt think he gets past Indy.

Most importantly pick a skilled offensive player at 6 wr/rb/qb

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Momentum.

Before being horribly hunt.

And sitting out two fulls years.

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. 

Momentum?

scratching-chin.jpg

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Momentum.

Before being horribly hunt.

And sitting out two fulls years.

Woulda. Shoulda. Coulda. 

Momentum?

scratching-chin.jpg

eh, this conversation is already 5x more thought and care i've put into on my own. I personally feel like we should just be signing McCown back as our backup/insurance and mentor to whomever we draft at #3

Archived