You're the GM - Let's see your Top 6

jetstream23

Stack your board.  Assume the Jets do not address QB in free agency with anything other than a hold-the-fort guy like McCown, Keenum, etc.  If you were running the Jets who would you rank as your Top 6 players to Draft?

I'll take a shot...

1. J. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. S. Barkley

4. Josh Allen

5. B. Chubb

6. B. Mayfield

And I love Nelson at OG, but I asked myself if I would take him at #6 if any of these six guys were still available.  My answer was obviously no.

Rosen

Mayfield

Darnold

Barkley

Chubb

Nelson

I want no part of Allen - you can't teach accuracy.  And Barkley is far and away the best player in the draft, but this team has to have a QB if one of the top 3 is there for them, so they're at the top of my board.  Followed by Barkley, then the game-wrecking pass rusher and the best OL in the draft

1 Sam Darnold

2 Saquon Barkley

3 Baker Mayfield 

4 Lamar Jackson 

5 Josh Rosen 

6 Harold Landry 

The only player I'd trade up for is Darnold.  I think Landry helped himself a lot at the combine.  I'm high on Jackson even if I think he'd have to sit for a year.  Ideally, I'd prefer whichever QB we draft to sit just like Pat Mahomes did last year.  

This big board can’t be set until after FA! But that being said, if we miss out on a cap-strangling Kirk Cousins, and sign any of the former Vikings’ QBs...

1. Rosen

2. Barkley

3. Chubb

4. Mayfield 

5. Edmunds

6. Nelson

If we sign Kirk:

1. Barkley

2. Chubb

3. Nelson 

4. Edmunds

5. Josh Jackson

6. McGlinchey

34 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Assuming we don’t sign Cousins:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Mayfield

4. Allen

5. Barkley

6. Chubb

Assuming we do sign Cousins:

1. Barkley

2. Chubb

3. Nelson

4. Edmunds

5. McGlinchley

6. Ridley  

This is close enough for me.  Without Cousins, I exhaust all 4 QBs before going to Barkley at 5.  Chubb at 6 is probably the right pick there but I could see some other arguments being made by draft time.

The only change I'd make to the 'With Cousins' scenario is I wouldn't take Ridley.  He's the best WR prospect but I don't see him as a true #1 worth picking that high.  Maybe if he showed up a bit more in the Championship game, but he just doesn't feel like the next Julio Jones type game-changer so pass.  I might put Connor Williams in there but it really doesn't matter because you have to assume at least 2 QBs go in the top-5.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

This is close enough for me.  Without Cousins, I exhaust all 4 QBs before going to Barkley at 5.  Chubb at 6 is probably the right pick there but I could see some other arguments being made by draft time.

The only change I'd make to the 'With Cousins' scenario is I wouldn't take Ridley.  He's the best WR prospect but I don't see him as a true #1 worth picking that high.  Maybe if he showed up a bit more in the Championship game, but he just doesn't feel like the next Julio Jones type game-changer so pass.  I might put Connor Williams in there but it really doesn't matter because you have to assume at least 2 QBs go in the top-5.

Despite our desperation for a QB I'd have a very difficult time passing on a once in a generation player like Barkley just to take the 4th best QB in a draft.  I think a team could win with Barkley and an average QB (assuming strong defense, etc.) just like the Bears won with Walter Payton and Jim McMahon.  Barkley could end up carrying a team the way Barry Sanders did with Detroit.  He's a sure thing.

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Despite our desperation for a QB I'd have a very difficult time passing on a once in a generation player like Barkley just to take the 4th best QB in a draft.  I think a team could win with Barkley and an average QB (assuming strong defense, etc.) just like the Bears won with Walter Payton and Jim McMahon.  Barkley could end up carrying a team the way Barry Sanders did with Detroit.  He's a sure thing.

I love Saquon, but I think we need to stop with the "once in a generation" talk. In the past three drafts alone, Gurley, Zeke, and Fournette went top 10, all of whom were comparable prospects. 

Also in recent years we've seen do-it-all studs like Le'Veon Bell and David Johnson go in round 2 or 3. 

Not criticizing you, just a pet peeve seeing that term get worn out when there have been myriad special running backs come into the league over the past few years.

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's a fair point to debate.  My first counter-argument is that Sanders never carried Detroit to a SB (and I think they won just 1 playoff game in his entire career).   Nor did AP with MIN (who I think also only won a single playoff game).  And as great as Payton was in 1985, I think the Bears' defense had a LOT to do with that season. 

The last RB who I feel carried an otherwise below average team to playoff success was probably Earl Campbell 40 years ago.  Not to say I don't think Barkley could be awesome and create a lot of wins which would otherwise be losses, but I don't think he can carry us to a SB without either a very good passing game or a great defense.  

6 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I love Saquon, but I think we need to stop with the "once in a generation" talk. In the past three drafts alone, Gurley, Zeke, and Fournette went top 10, all of whom were comparable prospects. 

Also in recent years we've seen do-it-all studs like Le'Veon Bell and David Johnson go in round 2 or 3. 

Not criticizing you, just a pet peeve seeing that term get worn out when there have been myriad special running backs come into the league over the past few years.

No problem, I certainly don't take it as criticism and I understand your point.  I look at where Hunt, Kamara, etc. were drafted and I think the same thing - that we should be able to find a very good RB later (Round 2 should be full of them this year).  But I do think Barkley is head and shoulders above Fournette, Elliott, and others.  He just seems different and I think it would be very Jet-like to pass up a potential All Pro player in order to get the 4th consolation prize at QB after several better ones were taken.  JMHO.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's a fair point to debate.  My first counter-argument is that Sanders never carried Detroit to a SB (and I think they won just 1 playoff game in his entire career).   Nor did AP with MIN (who I think also only won a single playoff game).  And as great as Payton was in 1985, I think the Bears' defense had a LOT to do with that season. 

The last RB who I feel carried an otherwise below average team to playoff success was probably Earl Campbell 40 years ago.  Not to say I don't think Barkley could be awesome and create a lot of wins which would otherwise be losses, but I don't think he can carry us to a SB without either a very good passing game or a great defense.  

Again, I value differences in opinion, and if it came down to whether Barkley was a good a pick as the Top QB (whoever that is in your opinion) then it's not a debate.  But when we're talking about the QB leftovers after the top guys have been taken then I find it hard to stomach passing on a guy like Barkley.  I'd rather take Barkley than the 4th best QB....and then trade up with both our 2nd rounders to get the 5th or 6th best QB.

So as rumors start to pick up that the Jets do have a shot at Cousins, I'll actually think about the 'With Cousins' scenario a little more.

There are two scenarios for me.  If one of the premium QBs is still on the board and we have Cousins, I would seriously look to trade down.  For example, ARI is at #15 and #47.  I would take those two picks and a 2019 2nd rounder to trade with them.  Or maybe CIN at #12 and #46 plus a 2019 3rd rounder decides to go for it.  In the 12-15 range you can get a player you might have taken at 6.  McGlinchey or Williams, maybe Nelson, Ridley, Davenport or Roquan Smith.  There will be a good player there.  Or with extra picks in the pail, try to move back up a bit for Edmunds or Ward if they drop close enough. 

If all 4 QBs are gone in the top-5, then it's Barkley for sure if he's there.  I would run a 4.32 dash to the podium.  If no Barkley and no QB, then I assume there's no great trade-down option although I'd still try, and I would take Chubb.

1 Darnold ...Browns will not pass on a QB this time with the new GM and Sam is the safest QB to pick. 

2 Rosen..Giants need Eli’s Successor- no brainer.

3 Barkley..... Colts present a Gift for Luck. 

4 Chubb ....Browns DL scary with Garrett and Chubb

5 Mayfield....Broncos lose out on Cousins to Vikes. Take next best QB available.

6 Nelson ....Jets take BAP in Nelson and  begin reworking a meager OL.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:47 PM, jetstream23 said:

Stack your board.  Assume the Jets do not address QB in free agency with anything other than a hold-the-fort guy like McCown, Keenum, etc.  If you were running the Jets who would you rank as your Top 6 players to Draft?

I'll take a shot...

1. J. Rosen

2. Darnold

3. S. Barkley

4. Josh Allen

5. B. Chubb

6. B. Mayfield

And I love Nelson at OG, but I asked myself if I would take him at #6 if any of these six guys were still available.  My answer was obviously no.

None or the QB’s would be a top my board, but are we asking for a top 6 based on talent or who you would pick?  Position should trump talent in certain situations.  I’m passing on Barkley for Rosen, Darnold, and Allen thou Barkley would be #1 on my board, and I’d take like 10 different players before Nelson even thou Nelson would be #2 on my board.

3. Is Edge Chubb

4. Is CB Ward

5. Is LB Edmunds

6. Is DT Vea

Archived