8 - Tremaine Edwards LB

7 - Conner Williams OT

6 - Denzel Ward CB

5 - Marcus Davenport DE

4 - Minkah Fitzpatrick  DB

3 - Quenton Nelson G

2 - Bradley Chubb DE

1 - Saquon Barkley RB

I would put this list in slightly different order, but for the most part I agree with all of these players. Saquon Barkley at 6? That would be the steal of the century. If that guy is available at 6, taking a QB if off the table. Take Barkley and draft a QB later on in the draft. You can't let this guy get away.

Beyond that I would put guys like Nelson, McGlinchey, and Miller at the top of the list. I might shoot myself in the head if the Jets go one more year without any consideration of the OL. How long can one GM neglect an enormous need?

8 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

10 - Kolton Miller OT

9 - Calvin Ridley WR

8 - Tremaine Edwards LB

7 - Conner Williams OT

6 - Denzel Ward CB

5 - Marcus Davenport DE

4 - Minkah Fitzpatrick  DB

3 - Quenton Nelson G

2 - Bradley Chubb DE

1 - Saquon Barkley RB

I think I'd have Chubb ahead of Barkley but it's splitting hairs because I do like a lot of the 2nd round pass rushers. I like your list.

If the top-4 QBs are gone, you only need a list of two and Barkley should be one of those two on every list.  So really, what we are discussing is, what do you do if all 4 QBs and Barkley are gone before we pick.  

It feels like Chubb, Nelson or the better of McGlinchey/Williams.  Ridley doesn't feel like a top-10 talent WR.  Just because he's the best of this year's crop doesn't cut it.  You could make a case for Edmunds if you absolutely project him to Edge Rusher.  Regardless, I would consider this scenario the absolute worst case, and a definite failure for the front office so you're really just discussing whether it's better to die by drowning, dehydration or being eaten by sharks while you're floating endlessly on a raft in the ocean.

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I've said this a million times. They are not drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

Nelson could be interesting because apparently he's not just limited to guard, which improves his value

Did Nelson participate in the DB drills?

6 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

I would put this list in slightly different order, but for the most part I agree with all of these players. Saquon Barkley at 6? That would be the steal of the century. If that guy is available at 6, taking a QB if off the table. Take Barkley and draft a QB later on in the draft. You can't let this guy get away.

Beyond that I would put guys like Nelson, McGlinchey, and Miller at the top of the list. I might shoot myself in the head if the Jets go one more year without any consideration of the OL. How long can one GM neglect an enormous need?

interesting thought.  certainly works if cousins is i the fold.  if they went barkley and then re-signed mccown and drafted falk, or lauletta, or rudolph, how would that look?  can there be a repeat of the old buffalo bills electric company?  lot's of great running backs have made pretty bad qb's look awful good.

1. Barkley

2. Chubb

3. Davenport

4. Fitzpatrick

5. Denzel Ward

6. Ridley

7. Edmunds

8. Roquan

9. McGlinchey

10. Nelson

I don't love drafting a guard with the 6th overall pick, I think both Smith and Edmunds are star linebackers in the NFL, Fitz played corner at Bama I don't get the pigeon holing him at Safety in the NFL, Ridley is a beast, Barkley obviously Best player in the draft and Chubb and Davenport play a premium position second only to QB imo.

15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

interesting thought.  certainly works if cousins is i the fold.  if they went barkley and then re-signed mccown and drafted falk, or lauletta, or rudolph, how would that look?  can there be a repeat of the old buffalo bills electric company?  lot's of great running backs have made pretty bad qb's look awful good.

It's the one way Mac can get away with not taking a QB high? The fact is, if Mac decided he didn't need or like any of the QB's in this draft and just resigned McCown? The fans would be screaming for his head on a platter.

BUT if he drafts Barkley, shores up the OL, and the Jets go into 2018 with a very potent ground and pound attack? Suddenly, miraculously, the Jets fans and Woody are willing to give him a pass for not taking a QB. WHY? Because the Jets did some winning in 2018, the OL is now fixed, and the Jets have a true weapon in the ground game. A guy that's possibly every bit dynamic and popular as say Freeman McNeil was?  

10 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The correct answer is build a time machine and don't ******* get 5 meaningless wins in a lost season. 

Cleveland 419 yards, Jets 212 yards

Cleveland 34.26 time of possession, Jets 25.34

Cleveland 22 first downs, Jets 14 first downs

I am already waxing nostalgic about our huge 17-14 win.

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Cleveland 419 yards, Jets 212 yards

Cleveland 34.26 time of possession, Jets 25.34

Cleveland 22 first downs, Jets 14 first downs

I am already waxing nostalgic about our huge 17-14 win.

Those stats make it look like the Jets were truly trying to tank and lose their most important game as it relates to Draft position.  Sheesh....they can't even throw a game correctly!

This is all predicated on inking Cousins first, since the pick should be QB or QB.

If Nelson is specifically and primarily projected to LT then ok he could be in the mix (though I far prefer an edge rusher). If Nelson's just going to play any other position on the OL other than LT, no freaking way at #6. At #6, to me, you either take a team-changer or a position you simply can't fill via FA. Otherwise trade down (even if you're not getting chart value in return).

As best I can surmise from what's written, by #6 there should be 4 QBs and Barkley and Chubb (take your pick what order for any/all of them). I don't see how a guard even enters the conversation there.

A guard prospect like Nelson surely improves the line, but he doesn't transform that whole side of the ball (let alone the whole team). I'd sooner overpay to the tune of $14m/year - nearly double the stupid contract we gave Winters - for a FA guard like Norwell, with a track record as a top 5-ish guard, before I draft one at #6. Especially with all this cap room, and even more so in the likely absence of locking into $30m of it on Cousins. Cap room is easy to create and manipulate. #6 overall picks are harder to come by, and are more of a commodity than a little extra cap space, unless the team just keeps sucking of course. Hell 2 teams last year made a trade over some $15m in cap room for a 2nd round pick.

The way the math works out, it makes even less sense to even think about drafting a guard at 6 (even if Nelson immediately played at Norwell's level) than paying through the nose for a FA (e.g. Norwell):

With the team option year, 5 years for a guard, drafted 6th overall, will cost $6m/year x 4 years + what will likely be ~$15-16m for the option year = ~$10m/year average (100% guaranteed). So the net savings in drafting Nelson instead of signing FA Norwell is maybe ~$3-4m/year tops.

What kind of dumbass move is it to burn a #6 overall pick to save $3-4m/year (while we're $100m under the cap)?

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Those stats make it look like the Jets were truly trying to tank and lose their most important game as it relates to Draft position.  Sheesh....they can't even throw a game correctly!

Don't blame them.  Nobody could have thrown a game vs. CLE this past year.  

630bc231b2c3319190b80b6f575501cb.png

5 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

It's the one way Mac can get away with not taking a QB high? The fact is, if Mac decided he didn't need or like any of the QB's in this draft and just resigned McCown? The fans would be screaming for his head on a platter.

BUT if he drafts Barkley, shores up the OL, and the Jets go into 2018 with a very potent ground and pound attack? Suddenly, miraculously, the Jets fans and Woody are willing to give him a pass for not taking a QB. WHY? Because the Jets did some winning in 2018, the OL is now fixed, and the Jets have a true weapon in the ground game. A guy that's possibly every bit dynamic and popular as say Freeman McNeil was?  

you fleshed it out more. they draft barkley, use the 2nd rounders for oline, pick of the qb's in the 3rd or fourth and fill in the rest draft with cb, lb, etc.  and then even mccown might be a decent option.

Some say Edwards can project to the outside in a 3-4 as an off LB and rush on passing downs. 

But I would draft the WR Lamar Jackson. Even though he never played the position or caught a pass in college he's a great athlete. And if Lamar doesn't work as a WR, the Jets could try him out at QB.

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, not when you're the Jets...We get those a lot!  :)

lol yeah

Even still, it’s harder to come by than some $15-20m in cap room that’ll get spread over 5 seasons.

When premiere options are available in FA, and especially when we’re not locked into megabucks at QB like those with a veteran, OL is a great place to overspend. If you take a top one, they’re more likely to play out their full contracts than positions that rely upon a youngster’s speed at skill positions, where we pat our GM on the back for getting out of a regretted contract after “only” 2 years. 

Say the going rate for a top 5 (or at a minimum, “sure thing”) guard is $11m, and for a center $9m. I’d much rather lock up a pair of them with a 25% premium - some $14m and $11m respectively - for a couple of reasons.

One I outlined above: that from a money perspective it makes no sense with a pick at/around #6 unless he’s a LT. Plus the obvious elephant in the room, that we’re drafting a QB with our top pick not a ****ing interior OLman at #6.

The other reason applies to us even more so for us this year, because we’re so far under the cap limit and need a QB and it’s no sure thing that staying pat at #6 lands us one of the top 4 (let alone the one we want). We may have to trade up to #4 or even #3, never mind to #1. In doing so, you can kiss the 2nd round picks goodbye (and all the best interior linemen along with those picks), and maybe next year’s #1 as well, depending on how high we move up. But the point is more that the option has to be there, and we can’t be afraid of making that move because we need an instant starter at C, as well as desiring an upgrade at G, so we are forced to go OL with at least one of our 2nd rounders. As a GM you can’t put yourself in a situation where you take a lesser prospect at QB, that could be your team’s QB for the next decade and a half if you pick the right one, because of an immediate need at an interior OL position.

Outbid all competition for both of them (G and C), especially since it looks like we’re not sinking $30m+/year on Cousins and a rookie Jets QB has enough challenges ahead without a crappola OL protecting him. If we do unexpectedly sign Cousins, that of course changes everything and these “what non-QB prospects at #6” becomes a more meaningful discussion for Jets fans.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol yeah

Even still, it’s harder to come by than some $15-20m in cap room that’ll get spread over 5 seasons.

When premiere options are available in FA, and especially when we’re not locked into megabucks at QB like those with a veteran, OL is a great place to overspend. If you take a top one, they’re more likely to play out their full contracts than positions that rely upon a youngster’s speed at skill positions, where we pat our GM on the back for getting out of a regretted contract after “only” 2 years. 

Say the going rate for a top 5 (or at a minimum, “sure thing”) guard is $11m, and for a center $9m. I’d much rather lock up a pair of them with a 25% premium - some $14m and $11m respectively - for a couple of reasons.

One I outlined above: that from a money perspective it makes no sense with a pick at/around #6 unless he’s a LT. Plus the obvious elephant in the room, that we’re drafting a QB with our top pick not a ****ing interior OLman at #6.

The other reason applies to us even more so for us this year, because we’re so far under the cap limit and need a QB and it’s no sure thing that staying pat at #6 lands us one of the top 4 (let alone the one we want). We may have to trade up to #4 or even #3, never mind to #1. In doing so, you can kiss the 2nd round picks goodbye (and all the best interior linemen along with those picks), and maybe next year’s #1 as well, depending on how high we move up. But the point is more that the option has to be there, and we can’t be afraid of making that move because we need an instant starter at C, as well as desiring an upgrade at G, so we are forced to go OL with at least one of our 2nd rounders. As a GM you can’t put yourself in a situation where you take a lesser prospect at QB, that could be your team’s QB for the next decade and a half if you pick the right one, because of an immediate need at an interior OL position.

Outbid all competition for both of them (G and C), especially since it looks like we’re not sinking $30m+/year on Cousins and a rookie Jets QB has enough challenges ahead without a crappola OL protecting him. If we do unexpectedly sign Cousins, that of course changes everything and these “what non-QB prospects at #6” becomes a more meaningful discussion for Jets fans.

Nelson is a freak of nature for a Guard...Could potentially play centre, and maybe even LT.  But MAYBE play LT is not he IS an LT.

If we were around the 12-15 pick and he was sitting there, I would take him in a NY minute.  If he is picked with our 6th pick and there are QB's in play, I will launch my television. 

It sucks we are 6th and not in the top 3, but I do not blame players and coaches for not 'tanking.'  I just don't think you can ask guys who have trained their whole lives to get to where they are, to buy into "okay, this year, we suck, so I need you to lose on purpose.  But NEXT year, I need you to kill it."  Still, I blame Bowles for not running with Petty and Hack all year, but that is another story...

Archived