Sam Darnold film breakdown on why he had so many turnovers

Patriot Killa

29 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That was an interesting watch. I agree that Sam’s turnovers are not as bad as his stats would lead you to believe.

A shocking revelation coming from a fan of the team that just drafted him.

Truly, shocking.

:-k

Darnold's issues are actually quite simple.  He stares down receivers sometimes, and sometimes has bad mechanics that lead to issues.

The guy in the video blames it on formation tendencies, and bad coaching.  He thinks his Washington High School coaches are better.  That says more than anything about his credibility.

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Darnold's issues are actually quite simple.  He stares down receivers sometimes, and sometimes has bad mechanics that lead to issues.

The guy in the video blames it on formation tendencies, and bad coaching.  He thinks his Washington High School coaches are better.  That says more than anything about his credibility.

I can live with the amount of INTs he had in college compared to TDs, it's the fumbles he needs to clean up.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

A shocking revelation coming from a fan of the team that just drafted him.

Truly, shocking.

:-k

I felt that way before he was drafted, losing 2 WRs and 3 OL was enough for me honestly. Learning more about how poor the coaching was only gives me more confidence in that.

There can be excuses for any qb turnovers. You can excuse a few in any case, but end of the year total is the number you can’t hide behind. Darnold lost 3 Lineman after his Soph yr ? And both starting WRs. I’m sure that had a lot to do with it. Why I think it’s important not to throw him behind another sh*tty OLine.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He definitely has a tendency to do that. That can be corrected. He can learn some deception tricks. That will take time and practice though. Because nfl secondaries will def eat him alive 4 times as bad as college ones if he doesn’t.   

Dilfer said in his podcast that Darnold is like Winston in that they feel no play is ever over and they sometimes get in trouble trying to throw hero balls. 

He also said that Darnold is like Marino in that he tries to play keep away from defenders with one hand on the ball. 

He will need to learn to hold it with 2 hands and throw it away or cover up and take the sack. 

22 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

he's still young.. seems like a " willing learner " .. hopefully, with good coaching & a talented roster... super bowl for OUR jets     ?

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

29 minutes ago, pointman said:

Why can you live with the INTs?

Because a guy who is that aggressive is going to throw some INTs.  If he worries about it too much he will lose his aggressiveness.  2 to 1 is not bad for someone who is as aggressive as he is.

On 5/17/2018 at 6:22 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

i know 10 year pros who do that---sometimes

9 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Because a guy who is that aggressive is going to throw some INTs.  If he worries about it too much he will lose his aggressiveness.  2 to 1 is not bad for someone who is as aggressive as he is.

Favre

508 TD’s

336 INT’s

71,000 Yards

I’ll take a Sam Darnold version of Brett Favre all day, every day.

Its not just Favre.  Every QB outside of Rogers and Brady throw picks.  Daronold is not going to be a guy with 28 tds and 5 picks.  Eventually he is going to be in the 11-13 int range and will likely be in the 15-20 range his first few years.  That is fine as long as they aren't Sanchez-esque pick 6s or Red Zone Ints.  If they are the result of taking shots down the field, its fine because he is talented enough to hit on more of them then not and those passes score points.

On 5/17/2018 at 5:49 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

That was awful and that guy doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks, and is flat out wrong about some stuff.  I would like my 12 minutes back please.

Yep, what a tool

On 5/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Patriot Killa said:

:presses play:

”I believe I can explain some of the complicated football stuff in a language that everyone can underst...”

:drives thumb so hard into the iPhone to stop the video that thumb fractures the screen, twists motherboard inside and, finally, passes through entire phone, causing sparks and shattered plastic to fly all over Starbucks:

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

:presses play:

”I believe I can explain some of the complicated football stuff in a language that everyone can underst...”

:drives thumb so hard into the iPhone to stop the video that thumb fractures the screen, twists motherboard inside and, finally, passes through entire phone, causing sparks and shattered plastic to fly all over Starbucks:

"I'm gonna barf up a whole lot of jargon you can use to make sure like-minded dorks on the internet know you're in the club, since that's what you're into, without actually communicating any information, since you're not so into that."

Waldman and Chase Stuart and the smartfootball guy and the less-aspergersy stats guys can explain their sh*t to reasonably bright second graders. Of course this should be the goal. I really dunno what you mean here.

he lost me at the end when he went on about Manning turning over the ball. Manning has a 2+ to1 career TD to INT ratio, and this includes his early years. He isnt second on the list, he is 9th...and thats only becase he played like 17 years.

To imply that Manning was some kind of a turnover prone QB is just ignorance.

Archived