Bates Says Darnold Could be Week 1 Starter

JetNation

USATSI_10819312_158813650_lowres-1.jpg

Just last night on our latest episode of JetNation radio, we asked Kristian Dyer of Metro if there was a real chance that rookie quarterback Sam Darnold could be under center when week 1 rolls around, and today, Jets offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates addressed the very same question.

“We’re throwing everything at him” said Bates, who didn’t rule out the possibility of the third overall pick starting the team’s Monday night opener in Detroit on September 10th.  A possibility that many fans seem to be at odds with.

While some may wonder why risk starting Darnold when you’ve got a pair of veterans to lean on while he sits back and learns in Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater, the fact of the matter is that plenty of quarterbacks have had success early on in recent years.

Carson Wentz of the Philadelphia Eagles, Dak Prescott of the Dallas Cowboys, and going back a few years, Andrew Luck of the Indianapolis Colts, have all put up some gaudy numbers after stepping in to take the starting jobs for their respective teams from day one.

Is Darnold next in line to take the reins in hopes of never looking back?  According to Bates, it’s not out of the question.

The post Bates Says Darnold Could be Week 1 Starter appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
VCtvo1kBpMo

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that's been the status quo for a while? He COULD win, yeah. We would all love it if he won the job in camp and never lost till he was Brees/Brady aged. But there's every chance the others keep in stride with him this early on in his career and maybe cause the Jets to think twice about putting him in the thick of it, particularly with the first three games coming in the span of 11 days.

Personally, I'm good with whatever, though I'd prefer McCown or Teddy (more Ted) start the first 3-4 games and Darnold comes in after he can actually work in a weekly regiment.

What's most encouraging about this mini-camp though is how quickly he's picking everything up, especially huddles and dropping back. His lack of time under center was one of my bigger concerns about him before the draft.

We have a long way to go, I expect teddy to bounce back, but today was a good day for Jets fans because "sudden" Sam Darnold looked like he belongs with the starters already 

We obviously need to see him in preseason games, but I'm not betting against him that's for sh*t sure 

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

We have a long way to go, I expect teddy to bounce back, but today was a good day for Jets fans because "sudden" Sam Darnold looked like he belongs with the starters already 

We obviously need to see him in preseason games, but I'm not betting against him that's for sh*t sure 

I agree Larz.

He actually looks better in mini camp then I anticipated.  I had Mayfield rated above him, at this point I'm very happy we got Darnold, over Mayfield.  

With that said I'd still be cautious about putting him out there as the opening day starter.  Today's practice was an impressive one for him.  On the closing drive they did a 2 min drill.  They threw everything at him blitz wise.  It didn't end well.  Two sacks, and a thrown away ball.   That's actually a good thing IMO.  If by the end of camp he's scoring the winning TD under the same conditions, I'm all in on him starting.

If he's still got some rookie jitters, I'd rather see him week 5.  JMO

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

imo if he can go he should go.  even if he doesn't know the playbook backwards and forwards, he should.  all he has to do is execute the plays and win over the team.  he's clearly the future and starting teddy does nothing.  mccown does even less.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

ZERO chance that anyone other than McCown is the started day one unless he gets hurt in pre season.

I could see Teddy B getting the opening day job.  I don't think Darnold will be the opening day starter and TBH, I hope he's not anyway.  Let's see if our OL is any good before we consider risking wrecking Darnold's confidence.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

I agree Larz.

He actually looks better in mini camp then I anticipated.  I had Mayfield rated above him, at this point I'm very happy we got Darnold, over Mayfield.  

With that said I'd still be cautious about putting him out there as the opening day starter.  Today's practice was an impressive one for him.  On the closing drive they did a 2 min drill.  They threw everything at him blitz wise.  It didn't end well.  Two sacks, and a thrown away ball.   That's actually a good thing IMO.  If by the end of camp he's scoring the winning TD under the same conditions, I'm all in on him starting.

Agree. The throw away is actually encouraging. On paper Sam shouldn't start until after the Thursday night game but he may make it very difficult to hold him back 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

imo if he can go he should go.  even if he doesn't know the playbook backwards and forwards, he should.  all he has to do is execute the plays and win over the team.  he's clearly the future and starting teddy does nothing.  mccown does even less.

Teddy is the xfactor.  If he shows starting ability and his knee holds up do you trade him to an NFC team or play him and see how it plays out? 

It's nice to have options 

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Teddy is the xfactor.  If he shows starting ability and his knee holds up do you trade him to an NFC team or play him and see how it plays out? 

It's nice to have options 

Nice summation. Let’s relax and enjoy having options for at least a few weeks of the regular season.

8 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why rush it? Let Bridges start for a few weeks if he’s doing good keep him as the starter then trade him. 

Jets would have to re-sign him first, or do you mean mid-season trade?

My opinion is that Darnold has to be far and away the best QB in training camp to start opening day.  If it is a close battle... one of the veterans win the job.

If the normally pessimistic, sarcastic and cynical Jets beat writers run out of positive adjectives to describe Darnold's play at mini-camp... the Jets are are probably in damn good shape going forward.  No rush.  He is going to play soon enough one way or another.

Darnold is the starter, period.   

They have McCown in case Darnold crashes and burns during preseason but barring disaster the job is his.   McCown is a nice safety blanket if Darnold sh*ts the bed during the season.  You can always plug McCown in to hold the fort for a few games while Darnold regroups but we should all rejoice that Darnold is the Jets QB for the next 15 years.   

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah like last year when Bowles said it was an 'open competition'.

Two words, Todd Bowles.

Whoa!   McCown easily won the QB competition last year.  It wasn't even close.  Petty was lousy and is 3rd string level, while Hack has no business even fetching practice balls for the kickers.

You might be correct, that it was already decided.  But if you're wrong and it was open... McCown won in a landslide anyway...

There's no way to be sure.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He should be. If he can’t beat out McCown and Bridgewater, that would be a real problem.

It’s kinda creepy to hear honest praise rather than cryptic messages that basically mean “ he gots a heartbeat.” “So that’s good” “ build from there.” 

1 year as a bad OC on his resume and suddenly he is an authority on when a QB is ready to roll? His resume gives me no more confidence than if KC made the call. There is NOTHING about this guys past as an OC that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired and have Darnold learning a whole new offense next year. 

Now that being said.........I hope this is the year they all pull it together and provide a glimpse of an effective offense for a chance. 

47 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

1 year as a bad OC on his resume and suddenly he is an authority on when a QB is ready to roll? His resume gives me no more confidence than if KC made the call. There is NOTHING about this guys past as an OC that says he will do anything but get Bowles fired and have Darnold learning a whole new offense next year. 

Now that being said.........I hope this is the year they all pull it together and provide a glimpse of an effective offense for a chance. 

Who else is going to make the call ? Mac Who up until a month ago thought hackenberg was a good qb ? Todd Bowles who knows nothing about offense ? The Johnsons ? 

50 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

You act like this organization is actually organized.  We let Brian Schottenheimer do whatever he wanted for 6 years

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Who else is going to make the call ? Mac Who up until a month ago thought hackenberg was a good qb ? Todd Bowles who knows nothing about offense ? The Johnsons ? 

Mac knew he made a colossal mistake drafting Hack in round 2 two years ago.  He never was willing to admit it publicly and was desperate to get something in a trade for him until the raiders threw him a bone

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mac knew he made a colossal mistake drafting Hack in round 2 two years ago.  He never was willing to admit it publicly and was desperate to get something in a trade for him until the raiders threw him a bone

A bone ? We got absolutely nothing for hackenberg. A trade for a conditional likely mid 7th round pick was not even worth the paper it was printed on.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

I agree Larz.

And what in the hell does he gain from those 4 weeks? Nothing in my view

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

ZERO chance that anyone other than McCown is the started day one unless he gets hurt in pre season.

Have to disagree here. I would say with what we heard from Bates today that there is at least  a 50/50 chance Darnold starts and probably much higher than that. If this were any other team and you heard the reports coming out of camp you would think that, but for some reason you think Bowles will be able to start McCown day one. I do not see it. In addition to the comments, there was also the overlooked fact that they practiced a bunch of plays specifically designed to Darnolds strengths.

Archived