KRL Camp Notes (7/27/18)

KRL

Sorry for the delay but the traffic & weather in NYC is awful.  Multiple road closings
and floods caused the ride home to take 3.5 hours.  Let's get to it:

General Notes

- Players in shorts & shells

- With rain & lightning in the forecast practice was held indoors

- Practice ran 2 hours and 40 minutes

- Excluding Sam Darnold and his contract nonsense the only player who didn't participate
was Courtney Upshaw 

- The players auditioning for the returner spots are Andre Roberts, Lucky Whitehead, Elijah
McGuire and Trenton Cannon

- Good first impression by Taylor Bertolet (K) a UDFA.  He showed a strong leg and good
accuracy up to 55 yards.  Cairo Santos may have a legitimate battle on his hands

- Impressive weight loss by Todd Bowles

Player Notes

- Terrelle Pryor participated in the first half of practice and hopefully he was working 
the rust off.  Because I wasn't impressed with his footwork in and out of his routes

- Very impressive first showing by Avery Williamson.  Very good diagnosing plays and
extremely quick to the ball to stop gains for little or no yardage

- Jamal Adams with an excellent practice in all areas coverage, blitzing and run support

- Nathan Shepherd started off slow but as practice went along he made plays stuffing runs
and showed a strong bull rush when pushing the pocket

- Dylan Donahue made an appearance after his offseason troubles.  He showed good bend and
swivel coming off the edge.  And in run support he showed good discipline by staying home
and getting a couple of TFL's

- Kevin Pierre-Louis (ILB) displayed excellent speed in coverage as he was able to stay in
coverage against WR's 15-20 yards down the field

- The stars of the day were the OLine and the zone blocking scheme Rick Dennison (OLine coach)
installed.  It's only the first day but they got whatever they wanted when they ran the standard
"stretch" play.  There was excellent chemistry/timing between the RB's and the OLine.  Spencer
Long showed good movement skills in space and the ability to "re-anchor" his feet if a DLineman
had him off balance

QB

- Josh McCown was his normal self, high completion % and efficient.  Nothing sexy just moving the
sticks and keeping the energy up in practice

- Teddy Bridgewater was also efficient but his ball placement was off and his vertical throws were
a little short.  Maybe he was working the rust off after two years of not playing.  He had the
"sexiest" play of the day when he hit Ardarius Stewart on a 25+ yard out pattern over tight
coverage

Keep An Eye On

- Jeremy Clark the CB out of Michigan who was recovering from ACL surgery last year.  Prototype
size for a "long CB" and the footwork of a smaller player

- I expected Trenton Cannon (RB) to be used in a much smaller role but he really impressed
out of the backfield.  Electric speed hitting the hole and not scared of running in between the
tackles

- Excellent job by Jeremy Bates and the offensive coaching staff as you can clearly see that
they are crafting the offense to take advantage of Darnold's mobility

Concerns

- DLine must do a better job against zone blocking schemes

- A few too many penalties

- Darnold's contract needs to get done

Standouts

- OLine

- Trenton Cannon

- Avery Williamson

- Jamal Adams

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

- The stars of the day were the OLine and the zone blocking scheme Rick Dennison (OLine coach)
installed.  It's only the first day but they got whatever they wanted when they ran the standard
"stretch" play.  There was excellent chemistry/timing between the RB's and the OLine.  Spencer
Long showed good movement skills in space and the ability to "re-anchor" his feet if a DLineman
had him off balance 

This, imo, is the most promising thing in the whole article, even if it's not "sexy".

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

-The stars of the day were the OLine and the zone blocking scheme Rick Dennison (OLine coach)
"stretch" play.
 There was excellent chemistry/timing between the RB's and the OLine.  Spencer
had him off balance

Thanks for sharing, as always. 

Relation to this. A zone scheme executed properly can be potent... A zone scheme with a RB who's style caters to that? 100000 yard rusher. Crowell is the definition of a slash and dash Running Back.... you're gonna see some HUGE gains this year from him. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Relation to this. A zone scheme executed properly can be potent... A zone scheme with a RB who's style caters to that? 100000 yard rusher. Crowell is the definition of a slash and dash Running Back.... you're gonna see some HUGE gains this year from him. 

If I knew before hand that a zone blocking scheme would result in a 100,000 yard rusher I would have endorsed it long ago.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

I can see your boy Cannon excelling in this scheme as well, hopefully he's a pleasant surprise.

Great news about the Oline. Crowell is a slasher, Powell gets skinny running between tackles with decent burst, Rawls is also a hit the hole slasher & Cannon could be very effective in the 2nd half on stretch plays if we can tire a defense.

We might not have star RBs, but Crowell, Powell, Rawls, Cannon is a nice underated group similar to our WRs. They've all had some success in this league other than Cannon, reminds me of how I think Hansen is going to fill out the WR group & now that Charles Johnson seems to be shining, I wouldn't be surprised to see our 3rd rounder Stewart get the old heave ho. I'm tired of this Jet organization hanging on to guys because of their draft position. Belichick plays the BEST PLAYERS regardless of draft position, always follow a winners lead. Maybe they can get a draft pick from a WR needy team for Ardarious who hasn't impressed me much yet.

17 hours ago, KRL said:

Sorry for the delay but the traffic & weather in NYC is awful.  Multiple road closings
and floods caused the ride home to take 3.5 hours.  Let's get to it:

As always great job, KRL! 

Since you’ve been to TC the past few yrs. A question as TC goes on this season would be if you notice any changes such as an obvious focus on penalties prevention, different training techniques/ emphasis / drills situational football, etc.. 

thanks again! 

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

As always great job, KRL! 

Since you’ve been to TC the past few yrs. A question as TC goes on this season would be if you notice any changes such as an obvious focus on penalties prevention, different training techniques/ emphasis / drills situational football, etc.. 

thanks again! 

Bowles is now doing "penalty pushups" and today the STC (Boyer) held class and went over

the new KO rules.  At the end of practice Bowles usually puts the team through situations to

see how they react

On 7/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, Greenseed4 said:

At 6,250 yds per game you’re looking at 178 ypc. 

Only if you give him >35 carries per game, though.  That's way too many running plays for that to work in the modern NFL.  And we just drafted a QB high.  But with conservative Bowles, I can see us running the ball that often.  I hate this team.

Archived