The unspoken issue with keeping our GM Macc

Paradis

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Beyond what the roster suggests we do about a guy who’s paid millions to draft and manage FA (literally that's his job).. 

The unspoken problem here is the impact keeping him has on our coaching search. What a attractive candidates are going to take a job with a team who’s GM is on a short leash? Job security for the HC is compromised if a GM is another bad draft away from getting tossed.

IF you’re a HC candidate, do you trust this roster and the GM’s ability to flesh it out enough to put your future in his hands? Is this roster really just a “coach away” from being competitive?

Might not have been spoken but is definitely been written 

Coaches dont have this whiny loser mentality you guys seem to think they will..  pros of the job far outweigh the cons and a guy who is good enough to be an nfl hc thinks they can turn around any situation. 

Yea? You in the habit of quitting your job to take a promotion with a sh*tty company and hope for best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Yea? You in the habit of quitting your job to take a promotion with a sh*tty company and hope for best?

If someone wants to pay me 10 times what I make and put me in charge of a "sh*tty company" that generates more than a billion dollars a year, has great facilities, and where I'll become a cult hero if I do well then yes..  I'll take my chances.

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If mac is retained, he is not on a short leash.  He gets another 3-4 years with the new coach.

Its a scary thiught.

This is why Macc has to go WITH Bowles. He cannot be trusted to build a team around Darnold. His drafts are evidence of this and his FA signings speak for themselves. Macc is a large part of the problem here. He cannot be allowed to stay.

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If mac is retained, he is not on a short leash.  He gets another 3-4 years with the new coach.

Its a scary thiught.

It’s bullsh*t if he’s retained and doubtful or at least shrinks the possibility that they get a top candidate if so. This organization is a ******* joke. 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

If someone wants to pay me 10 times what I make and put me in charge of a "sh*tty company" that generates more than a billion dollars a year, has great facilities, and where I'll become a cult hero if I do well then yes..  I'll take my chances.

then you wouldn't be a good HC candidate if that's the way you think :0 

Seriously, the good (in demand) ones, ie. David Shaw, Reilly, DeFilililipino, Carmichael, are going to be looking at BAL for example before they look at us, if at all. It will effect the coaching search. I firmly believe that. 

8 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yep , how about Jamarcus Russell,  Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich , Tim Couch ,  Rick Mirer. And these are just the colossal busts , there are tons more so to say its easy to get it right is absurd.

Each of these all-time biggest busts was better than Christian Hackenberg. 

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its a scary thiught.

exactly. I have been saying this too,  And to me, it is the biggest issue we have.  Guy cannot draft/sign wideouts or O line. He has proven that.  What coach wants to work for a GM who has a  a sword over his head?

14 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't think it would be painted to the incoming HC that the GM is on a short leash. I think if Mac stays then these 2 will be tied together for their NYJ careers. I don't see a scenario where we hire a head coach in 2019 then fire the GM/hire a new one in 2020. The new GM would want to bring in his guy.

If Mac survives this offseason, he's here for a couple more years barring another very disastrous season IMO.

So your saying if we find a coach who coaches well, but just isn’t being given the right players because mac is so bad, we have to let go of the HC who is doing great with what he has ? If that is the case I can see ya losing out on top tier HC’s, because they know macs sucks and why be locked in with him ?‍♂️

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

Oh no i agree. We will not see a GM again, shackled to the last regime's HC....

no, I'm talking about a scenario where that coach is 1 and done. That's the fear I would have as HC candidate... how sure am I that ownership won't burn this whole thing to the ground in 2020 if Macc's blunders continue and I don't get Darnold performing right away at the level expected by NY/Johnsons...

What you're preaching is the best laid plans, but i'm saying the earth beneath us is salted. heavily. 

If the Jets get rid of this next coach after just 1 year because Maccagnan sucks then they will have reached all time lows.  You think it’s hard to attract good head coaching candidates now?  Wait till they fire a HC after just one season, that will put them in eternal purgatory for head coaches.  

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Every GM is on a short leash in a sense.  There is no guarantee that whichever team a hot candidate goes to will be more stable long term.

Macc hasn’t made the playoffs in 4 years, 95% of his draft picks are mediocre to horrible and most of his FA signings sucked

Macc has had as long a leash as it gets

20 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If the Jets get rid of this next coach after just 1 year because Maccagnan sucks then they will have reached all time lows.  You think it’s hard to attract good head coaching candidates now?  Wait till they fire a HC after just one season, that will put them in eternal purgatory for head coaches.  

They need to fire both Macagnan and Bowles.  We have a bottom 3 roster Bill Parcells would struggle to win games with this crap

It’s the Cleveland syndrome. God help us all!!

16 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yep , how about Jamarcus Russell,  Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich , Tim Couch ,  Rick Mirer. And these are just the colossal busts , there are tons more so to say its easy to get it right is absurd.

Touche, although QBs, I would argue, are probably tougher picks in the first round than any other position.

But the question, IMO, is still valid. Four years/ Lots of cap room, high draft picks. When does the "future" that Macc keeps talking about come to fruitiion?

the Jets are not going to hire a "name" HC who also wants GM rights like Andy Reid or BB 

they are going to hire someone 99% of the fans haven't heard of and this man will be underpaid compared to his peers

just like the last 4 hires

if the Johnson family had to hire someone to walk their champion showdogs, it wouldn't take 5 hires to get it right. Or maybe it would. I can't decide if they don't care or are just morons. Probably both. It's not in their interest to care. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

the Jets are not going to hire a "name" HC who also wants GM rights like Andy Reid or BB 

they are going to hire someone 99% of the fans haven't heard of and this man will be underpaid compared to his peers

if the Johnson family had to hire someone to walk their champion showdogs, it wouldn't take 5 hires to get it right. Or maybe it would. I can't decide if they don't care or are just morons. Probably both. It's not in their interest to care. 

Promote McCown from QB coach to head coach, keep him as back up QB and “mentor” and for $10 million the Johnsons can fill 3 positions with one guy.  They can then write all that money off towards the minimum salary floor.  

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Promote McCown from QB coach to head coach, keep him as back up QB and “mentor” and for $10 million the Johnsons can fill 3 positions with one guy.  They can then write all that money off towards the minimum salary floor.  

10 mil for a coach is about 6 mil more than Woody is prepared to pay 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

10 mil for a coach is about 6 mil more than Woody is prepared to pay 

Think about how dysfunctional this oraganization is, highest paid offensive player is the back up QB making $10 million, and then they penny pinch the coaching staff and not even have a QB coach.  

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

As you have stated, the Jets as a "business" is making money, winning might not be part of the strategy - all they need to do is give fans a little hope and like flies to the flame

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Think about how dysfunctional this oraganization is, highest paid offensive player is the back up QB making $10 million, and then they penny pinch the coaching staff and not even have a QB coach.  

paying a 38 year old QB to "be a coach" while occupying 7% of the total salary cap and not paying a QB coach is like paying taxes on your salary before putting money into the 401k.

the intent is good but the execution is dumb as hell. 

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

As you have stated, the Jets as a "business" is making money, winning might not be part of the strategy - all they need to do is give fans a little hope and like flies to the flame

NYJ 8th in total franchise value. 28th in Power rankings 

I wish they had relegation. like if the team got bad enough they'd have to play in the XFL. 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

NYJ 8th in total franchise value. 28th in Power rankings 

I wish they had relegation. like if the team got bad enough they'd have to play in the XFL. 

Think about this, the Jets were 9th in the league in total revenue in 2017 at $443 million.  The Giants were 3rd at $493 million.  Only a $50 million gap between 9th and 3rd.  Where is the incentive to spend more to make more?  There isn’t.  Jets were coming off a 5-11 season and were still 9th in the league in revenue.  

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Touche, although QBs, I would argue, are probably tougher picks in the first round than any other position.

But the question, IMO, is still valid. Four years/ Lots of cap room, high draft picks. When does the "future" that Macc keeps talking about come to fruitiion?

When we rid ourselves of the boat anchor known as Todd Bowles. Nothing moves forward or develops until that move is complete. 

20 hours ago, Paradis said:

Beyond what the roster suggests we do about a guy who’s paid millions to draft and manage FA (literally that's his job).. 

The unspoken problem here is the impact keeping him has on our coaching search. What a attractive candidates are going to take a job with a team who’s GM is on a short leash? Job security for the HC is compromised if a GM is another bad draft away from getting tossed.

IF you’re a HC candidate, do you trust this roster and the GM’s ability to flesh it out enough to put your future in his hands? Is this roster really just a “coach away” from being competitive?

If you're a HC candidate you definitely want a stable GM situation, but you also want a franchise QB or a young potential franchise QB:

Ravens- Have to deal with flacco or lamar jackson....hard pass

Broncos- Case Keenum.....hard pass

Cowboys- Have to deal with Dak and Jerry.... 

Bucs- Jameis may be gone....Fitz...no defense....hard pass

Browns- Will be very attractive job with Baker/Garrett

Jets- Darnold...young roster...cap space...

If I am a HC, I take the Browns or the Jets. The other teams may have a more stable GM but they have worse QB situations. 

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If I am a HC, I take the Browns or the Jets. The other teams may have a more stable GM but they have worse QB situations. 

I think the story of:  "You are the HC and you report to me, and this is your GM Mac who also reports to me, and Mac is on probation this year and you may have a new GM next year, and by the way the NFL may make me reorganize our structure because it is obviously ineffective, hurting TV ratings and resulting in too many distruptive terminations and job searches" is not a good one and will not sell to HC candidates.

That is why the Jets have to reorganize their front office now in a way that provides a greater opportunity for success and a projected 3 year plus run.  In that case I think the Jets could attract a good HC candidate.  Try this:

"You are the HC and report to the new Director of Football Operations.  The DFO reports to me.  Your GM is Brian Heimerdinger-he will find you players that the DFO agrees with with your input.  Mac has been retained as a College Scout."

That might get you a good HC.  

Archived