Mike Maccagnan's Draft Picks

joewilly12

Updated rankings of Jets' Mike Maccagnan's NFL Draft picks | Biggest busts, hits? How will Sam Darnold do? Best, worst selections since 2015
By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com | Posted on December 27, 2018 6:00 AM | Updated December 27, 2018 6:36 AM

The Jets are 4-11 with one game left in a miserable 2018 season. So general manager Mike Maccagnan obviously hasn't done a great job of roster building, considering the Jets went 5-11 in each of the previous two seasons. 

With that in mind, let's rank all of Maccagnan's 2015-17 NFL Draft picks right here. These rankings go from worst to best. Where will rookie quarterback Sam Darnold eventually land? 

Plus, we have a full rundown and review of Maccagnan's first three draft classes down below, as we take a big-picture look at what he has done to date. 

c9d_maccagnancopy.jpeg
John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Maccagnan has had mixed results in the draft. 

Jets' 2018 NFL Draft class

No point in ranking these guys just yet, but here they are: 

Round 1: QB Sam Darnold

Round 3: DE Nathan Shepherd

Round 4: TE Chris Herndon

Round 6: CB Parry Nickerson

Round 6: DL Foley Fatukasi

Round 6: RB Trenton Cannon

22. QB Christian Hackenberg (Round 2, 2016)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? No.

ANALYSIS: Just an absolutely brutal, overreaching pick. No other way to put it. Hackenberg wasn't even good enough, in two seasons with the Jets, to get into a regular season game. They traded him to the Raiders for essentially nothing, and Oakland cut him after just three weeks. Then the Eagles cut him. He was on the Bengals' practice squad. But now he is with the Memphis team in the AAF. 

21. WR Devin Smith (Round 2, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? No. 

ANALYSIS: The Jets cut him in mid-July, before training camp began, and he remains a free agent. He has been hampered by injuries, but the bottom line remains: He hasn't gotten the job done in the NFL. In 14 career games, Smith has just 10 catches for 135 yards and one touchdown.

20. OLB Lorenzo Mauldin (Round 3, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? No. 

ANALYSIS: He hasn't been a disruptive pass rusher really at all. And he missed last season due to back surgery. Mauldin has just 6.5 career sacks. The Jets cut him after training camp, and it wasn't a surprise at all, which is saying something. He remains a free agent. 

19. QB Bryce Petty (Round 4, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? No.

ANALYSIS: He is a backup, ultimately -- at best. It's not like the Jets used a second-round pick on him. But he didn't play as a rookie, and then lasted just the next two seasons with the Jets. Then they cut him. His career stats: 10 games (seven starts), four touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 57.7 rating. Nice guy, but not starter material. He was with the Dolphins in training camp, but they cut him.

18. OG Jarvis Harrison (Round 5, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? No. 

ANALYSIS: Never played in a regular season game for the Jets ... and probably won't ever do it for anybody. The Jets waived him after just his second training camp with them. He didn't get picked up until after the 2016 season. He was a 2017 offseason member of the Buccaneers, got cut after training camp that year, and landed in the CFL. He isn't a legit NFL player. Bad pick, even though this was a fifth-rounder.

17. OLB Dylan Donahue (Round 5, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? No. 

ANALYSIS: The Jets cut him (after his second training camp with them), in the wake of his two DWI guilty pleas, for two incidents that involved car wrecks. He played in just four games last season before sustaining a season-ending elbow injury. Independent of the DWI stuff, he wasn't a very good player. After the Jets cut him, the NFL suspended him 14 weeks for his DWI crashes. That effectively wiped out his entire 2018 season.

16. WR ArDarius Stewart (Round 3, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? No.

STILL IN NFL? Yes (on Washington's practice squad)

ANALYSIS: Stewart got popped with a two-game PED suspension to begin this season. When he returned, the Jets cut him, then put him on their practice squad when he unsurprisingly passed through waivers unclaimed. He lasted less than a month on the practice squad. An underwhelming third-round pick so far. He had just six catches for 82 yards and zero touchdowns last season. He didn't really impress in training camp this summer, either.

15. WR Chad Hansen (Round 4, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? Yes (on Broncos' practice squad)

ANALYSIS: Before Stewart (a third-rounder), he was the highest-selected Maccagnan draft pick so far to get cut after just one season. Jarvis Harrison (Round 5), Dylan Donahue (Round 5), and Jeremy Clark (Round 6) were also cut after one season. After the Jets waived Hansen, he landed with the Patriots for one week before being cut. Then he wound up in Denver. He had a bad 2018 training camp after a strong spring. He had nine catches for 94 yards and zero touchdowns last season.

14. CB Jeremy Clark (Round 6, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes.

ANALYSIS: He was still recovering from a college knee injury for most of last season. He got in just one game for the Jets as a rookie. And he was hurt for much of this preseason, as well. A no-brainer cut. He did land on the practice squad, though, so the Jets see at least some potential in him. He was promoted to the active roster in early December.

13. NT Deon Simon (Round 7, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? Yes (on Packers' practice squad). 

ANALYSIS: For a little while there, he was not a bad value pick at all for Maccagnan. Simon got cut after training camp this year. He landed on the Titans' practice squad, then on Green Bay's practice squad. He played in 16 games in 2016, with one start. He had 1.5 sacks in 2016. For most of 2015 and 2017, he was on the Jets' practice squad.

12. CB Derrick Jones (Round 6, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: He is down the depth chart and has just three career games played, all last season. But he did stick on the 53-man roster coming out of training camp this year, at least. He flashed early in training camp this summer, but then cooled off. He has some upside, since he is relatively new to playing cornerback. 

11. CB Juston Burris (Round 4, 2016)

STILL WITH JETS? No. 

STILL IN NFL? Yes (with Browns). 

ANALYSIS: Never did much of anything for the Jets after losing his No. 3 cornerback job early last season. The Jets cut him in late October this year and put him on their practice squad, but the Browns quickly added him to their active roster. He has played in three games for the Browns this year after playing in four for the Jets. 

10. TE Jordan Leggett (Round 5, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: He missed all of his rookie season with a knee injury. He stuck on the roster this year, but is down the depth chart. Chris Herndon -- a rookie this year -- has clearly passed him. Leggett's stats in 2018: 13 catches, 107 yards, one touchdown. Pretty modest. 

9. WR Charone Peake (Round 7, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: You don't expect much from seventh-rounders, and sure enough, Peake hasn't given the Jets much on offense. But he has been a strong special teams contributor, which is why he made the 53-man roster this season over Chad Hansen and Tre McBride, two other bubble receivers. In 30 career games, he has 22 catches for 214 yards and zero touchdowns. Yet he is quite good on special teams. 

8. ILB Darron Lee (Round 1, 2016)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes (but suspended). 

ANALYSIS: He has been a fine starter, but not particularly elite overall. And then he got popped with a substance abuse suspension that cost him the final four games of 2018. An incredibly disappointing way for him to end what was a pretty good 2018 season. Lee showed progress in coverage -- an area where the Jets have to count on him. But can they really count on him, after this suspension? He did have three interceptions in 2018 (one returned for a touchdown). Yet that substance abuse suspension is brutal. His overall career stats -- three picks, 11 passes defended, two forced fumbles, four sacks, 17 tackles for loss -- simply aren't good enough for the 20th overall pick. He gets dinged in these rankings because of where he was picked. 

7. P Lachlan Edwards (Round 7, 2016)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: Pretty solid seventh-round pick here by Maccagnan. Edwards struggled as a rookie, but improved last season. He finished 10th in yards per punt last season, compared to 34th (dead last) in 2016. The Jets might have a budding, successful punter on their hands here. He is currently ninth in the NFL in yards per punt. 

6. RB Eli McGuire (Round 6, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes.

ANALYSIS: A potentially strong value pick. He's been all right since returning from injured reserve this season -- 74 rushes, 235 yards, three touchdowns, plus 17 catches, 169 yards, and one touchdown. McGuire's rookie stats -- 88 carries for 315 yards and one touchdown, plus 17 catches for 177 yards and one touchdown. Not a bad start.

5. OLB Jordan Jenkins (Round 3, 2016)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: Clearly, these rankings are weighted based on where a guy was picked. So we give Jenkins some extra credit for turning into a solid starter as a third-round pick, while Lee gets docked a bit for just being an OK starter as a first-rounder. Jenkins is strong against the run, but the Jets needed more from him as a pass rusher in 2018. And he has delivered on that need this season -- seven sacks, bringing his career total to 12.5. 

4. RT Brandon Shell (Round 5, 2016)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: Again, we are bumping Shell up because he has turned into a starter as a fifth-round pick. It remains to be seen if Shell will actually be a legit, long-term starter. He just had knee surgery, which preemptively ended his second season as a starter. But as you can tell by these rankings, Maccagnan hasn't made a ton of high-impact draft picks so far.

3. S Marcus Maye (Round 2, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: Very strong rookie year, and you could make a case that he was actually better than Jamal Adams. But injuries crushed Maye's second season, as he played in just six games before landing on IR with a shoulder injury. So he missed a chance to jump Leonard Williams in these rankings. Still, Maye could have a bright future -- if he can stay healthy.

2. DE Leonard Williams (Round 1, 2015)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: Pretty good player, but hasn't been a star so far. For where he was drafted, he should be giving the Jets more. And he didn't take the expected leap as a pass rusher in 2018. His sack numbers simply aren't good enough, even though he does get doubled teamed. He entered the 2018 season No. 1 on this list, but has since been surpassed. His 2018 stats -- four sacks, 19 quarterback hits. His career stats -- 16 sacks, 84 quarterback hits. His Pro Bowl appearance in 2016 was as an injury replacement, so he has never been selected for a Pro Bowl, in actuality.

1. S Jamal Adams (Round 1, 2017)

STILL WITH JETS? Yes. 

ANALYSIS: Entering this season, it was a tough call between Adams and Maye for the second and third spots. But now, Adams is ahead of Williams as the clear No. 1 guy -- a vocal team leader who is the only Maccagnan pick with a legit Pro Bowl selection. (Again, Williams was not selected. He was a replacement.) Adams, who deservedly landed in the Pro Bowl this season, looks like a blossoming star. His career stats -- one interception, 18 passes defended, four forced fumbles, three recovered fumbles, 5.5 sacks, 18 tackles for loss, and 10 quarterback hits. 

SEE BELOW FOR AN OVERALL NUMERICAL BREAKDOWN OF MACCAGNAN'S 2015-17 PICKS ... 

OVERALL BREAKDOWN

Everybody ranked below Lee on this list has done little to nothing ... and even McGuire hasn't done a ton.

Here is a full breakdown of Maccagnan's 2015-17 draft picks -- 22 in all ... 

ON JETS' ROSTER, IR, OR SUSPENDED LIST (12) ...

2015 (1 of 6 picks): Williams

2016 (5 of 7 picks): Lee (suspended), Edwards, Jenkins, Shell (IR), Peake

2017 (6 of 9 picks): Jones, Leggett, Maye (IR), Adams, Clark, McGuire

ON OTHER ROSTERS (1) ...

2016 (1 of 7 picks): Burris

ON OTHER PRACTICE SQUADS (3)

2015 (1 of 6): Simon 

2017 (2 of 9): Stewart, Hansen 

Some of the guys below Lee have done a decent job in the league considering where they were drafted. Breakdown picks from other teams and see how many third and fourth round probowlers you get. I think you will find that most picks outside of the first round end up being depth type players or below average starters with probably a low chance of getting a hit on a guy second round and beyond.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Throw in his bad moves in free agency and it's easy to see why the Jets are 14-34 over the past 3 seasons...yes, I am already chalking up the Jets last game at the Patriots as a loss.
You guys are ridiculous you act like he makes no good moves and as if other front offices don't make bad ones. We could maybe get a better gm but chances are we get rid of him and end up with someone worse. I don't believe this team is as far from winning as others seem to think if we have a good off-season this year we can be pretty close to contention.

Just now, bealeb319 said:

You guys are ridiculous you act like he makes no good moves and as if other front offices don't make bad ones. We could maybe get a better gm but chances are we get rid of him and end up with someone worse. I don't believe this team is as far from winning as others seem to think if we have a good off-season this year we can be pretty close to contention.

Give me a break, ending up with someone worse is nearly impossible.  It's the Jets, so I wouldn't discount the possibility of someone just as bad, but Maccagnan has been atrocious.  Did you read this list?  Literally #1 on it (Adams) is the only player who doesn't come with a series of asterisks next to him, and even then, the positional value could certainly be argued (and has been repeatedly).

29 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We could maybe get a better gm but chances are we get rid of him and end up with someone worse.

What do you base that on?

I don't believe this team is as far from winning as others seem to think if we have a good off-season this year we can be pretty close to contention.

When you say "close to contention" you mean.....what?  8 wins?  9 wins?  

Someone buttfumbled THIS, of all my posts, this?  Lol.  Even asking questions now buttfumble worthy! :yahoo:

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

his ratio of bad moves to good moves is astonishingly bad.  And the impact of the bad to this team is immense.  Why would any Jets fan would want this garbage GM to stick around after his comical 4 year run?  Oh yeah...  he made sure we would get at least Josh Rosen or Josh Allen in the draft.  There's always that. 

I'm glad he got lucky with the Giants taking Barkley.  Even Heimerdinger said to him that he "has a horshoe up his ass."  https://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/source/the-jets-long-road-to-sam-darnold-14498800.  

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — “You have a horseshoe up your ass.”

The words instinctively rolled off the tongue of Jets VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger, and were directed at the boss, GM Mike Maccagnan, who wouldn’t let himself believe this would happen.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you base that on?

When you say "close to contention" you mean.....what?  8 wins?  9 wins?  

I'd be disappointed if we weren't contending for a playoff spot next year.  We have our QB, we have a top 5 pick and $100M in cap space. Better coaching and this team could have realistically won 7 games this season with a rookie QB. (Jets blew 4th quarter leads against the Titans, Texans and Packers.  Also could have/should have beaten the Browns.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

No the bolded part is the exact opposite.  you could almost no get anyone worse.

I have said this before, but Mac has had MORE than his fair share of whiffs/f* ups. Look closer at the numbers, and if you remove (I know you can't) his first year, he has done considerably better. With this past year looking like his best (I know way too soon).

The question I have is was the first year a fluke? was it the bad scouting team that was in place, or due to his learning curve? Or, was this past year the fluke? We cannot get the past 4 years back; the question is has Mac (and/or the scouting team) improved over time where last year will be the norm (not finding the QB, but picking well)? Or, was the first 2 years?

The important question is whether he has grown (or grown the organization) and has become a good GM, or is last year a mirage and he is the crap that the first draft indicates? Is he better now (except for WRs) or does he suck across the board?

My other problem is that sometimes a GM (or anyone else) takes a risk (or chance). If that risk doesn't pan out does that make them a bad GM, or it was a risk so be it. For example, risking a gradual rebuild instead of a complete rebuild. Or, rolling the dice on Petty and (yeah Hack although it totally pisses me off on how much of a reach it was) - had Hack been picked in the 4th too, do you accept it as a roll the dice on QBs until you hit one?

I think Macs tenure here is much more grey and a lot less black or white. I assume that with the deal he made with Woody (3 year rebuild) and landing a franchise QB, appearing to do better in the draft, and the mostly decent FA (I still don't know what to make of Trumaine situation - although he appeared to be the best FA CB available) signings that we will for better or worse get a chance to find out.

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

But it’s not his fault. It’s all Bowle’s fault according to many. 

How about they BOTH individually suck and BOTH should go. Simple, solved, let’s move on!

Exactly. Just like in 'Back to School, when Sally Kellerman asks Rodney why his marriage failed, and he said " I was a water sign, she was an earth sign, and together we made mud." Pretty much describes these two guys.

20 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Throw in his bad moves in free agency and it's easy to see why the Jets are 14-34 over the past 3 seasons...yes, I am already chalking up the Jets last game at the Patriots as a loss.

But throw in his good moves in trading (Henry Anderson, Kearse, Brandon Marshall, selling Sheldon Richardson, Bridgewater, etc.) and it at least cancels out some bad FA deals in my mind.

Again, I'm not waving a pro-Maccagnan flag here.  He's been fair / borderline average as a GM in my opinion.  If the Jets had this roster and no Cap space it would be a really bad situation.  If Macc had overspent a little more in 2018 FA to get a handful of better players and the Jets ended up with a middle-of-the-road Cap situation instead of one of the best Cap situations in the NFL would that be better?  I mean, the roster might be a little better if he had spent more and it might allow Macc to appear better right now, but longer term it wouldn't have been prudent.

I think Macc has been stockpiling some FA $$$ to start deploying it once he saw the Jets had a potential franchise QB.

22 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

To me the biggest problem is the complete whiffs on second round picks. Sure it would be great to land pro bowlers there but to have 2 guys completely out of the league (one who never played a down in the regular season) is completely egregious.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Good point.  I think Maye will turn out to be a very good pick and Devin Smith was an injury-related bust, but I agree overall.  2nd round picks are incredibly valuable IMO because inevitably some guys drop into that round by virtue of other teams reaching in the 1st round or trying to address needs rather than BPA.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good point.  I think Maye will turn out to be a very good pick and Devin Smith was an injury-related bust, but I agree overall.  2nd round picks are incredibly valuable IMO because inevitably some guys drop into that round by virtue of other teams reaching in the 1st round or trying to address needs rather than BPA.

Good chance the kid the Colts took with one of the 2's we gave them is gonna DROY, I think.

Trying to find the positives here....since there aren't many.  If we add the bias of recency to our perspective on this ranking I'd point out the following:

1. The #1, #3, #6 and #10 players on the list of 22 were all 2017 Draft picks.  So on a list of bad draft picks at least the best ones are the most recent.

2. A couple of the worst in Hack (#22) and Petty (#19) were QBs where I think the Jets just felt compelled to swing at some bad pitches for a QB starved franchise that was trying to get out of from under Ryan Fitzpatrick. (I don't foresee anymore QB reaches in future drafts)

3. The 2018 Draft, which was not evaluated here because it is too soon, could turn out to be the best.  If you included them in a ranking I'd hazard a guess that Darnold ends up as either #1 or #2 and Herndon is a Top 5.  This might support point 1 above in that although the Jets' drafting hasn't been very good, the best picks have been the ones made most recently.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

*Boom*

Except if we had kept our second round picks last year and taken 2 guys there would we climb up from 22 to 15? Then this stat is less damning but we don’t have a franchise QB. 

I don’t know the answer to this question regarding whether or not we keep Macc but I can understand keeping him and getting rid of Bowles.

Worst drafter in the league.  Categorically, statistically, objectively.  The worst drafter in the league.  Even his best picks required:  1) Luck, and/or 2) Him passing on better players to get a good player.

But he's improving and deserves 1 more bad draft before we fire him.  Just, you know, to make ABSOLUTELY sure he sucks. 

Every thread these mouth breathers push this stuff.  There's no counter to the results.  He's the worst drafter in the league.  Keep repeating that, because that's ultimately all that matters when it comes to a GM.  How you draft.  And he's the worst at it. 

The debate is completely futile at this point.  Those who still support Mike Maccagnan aren't worth listening to at all.  They have nothing to base that viewpoint on.  Literally nothing. 

48 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I have said this before, but Mac has had MORE than his fair share of whiffs/f* ups. Look closer at the numbers, and if you remove (I know you can't) his first year, he has done considerably better. With this past year looking like his best (I know way too soon).

The question I have is was the first year a fluke? was it the bad scouting team that was in place, or due to his learning curve? Or, was this past year the fluke? We cannot get the past 4 years back; the question is has Mac (and/or the scouting team) improved over time where last year will be the norm (not finding the QB, but picking well)? Or, was the first 2 years?

The important question is whether he has grown (or grown the organization) and has become a good GM, or is last year a mirage and he is the crap that the first draft indicates? Is he better now (except for WRs) or does he suck across the board?

My other problem is that sometimes a GM (or anyone else) takes a risk (or chance). If that risk doesn't pan out does that make them a bad GM, or it was a risk so be it. For example, risking a gradual rebuild instead of a complete rebuild. Or, rolling the dice on Petty and (yeah Hack although it totally pisses me off on how much of a reach it was) - had Hack been picked in the 4th too, do you accept it as a roll the dice on QBs until you hit one?

I think Macs tenure here is much more grey and a lot less black or white. I assume that with the deal he made with Woody (3 year rebuild) and landing a franchise QB, appearing to do better in the draft, and the mostly decent FA (I still don't know what to make of Trumaine situation - although he appeared to be the best FA CB available) signings that we will for better or worse get a chance to find out.

Trying to identify his first horrendous year as an outlier is totally unfounded.  Just last year he took a 3rd and 4th rounder who couldn't make it more than a year despite playing at a position which the Jets are still in desperate need of help.  Even when the Jets needed even more help during the year, due to a combination of cuts and injuries, the team thought so little of them that neither one was even considered to be brought back.  Add on that Donahue is out of the league.  Clark and Jones have done nothing.  So basically, he got 2 safeties (one injury prone) out of the entire class, and this is some great improvement?

Even this year, the supposed greatness of it is based entirely on 2 players, while the other 4 have been totally useless to this point.  Granted, I totally agree it's too early to judge this class, but when many attempt to use it as a reason for him to keep his job, then you also can't ignore we've seen absolutely nothing from two thirds of it.  Even the praise for the Darnold and Herndon picks are based entirely on the assumption of continued development and improvement of them throughout their careers, because if either one sees their career numbers reflect this year's, we'll all be very disappointed.  I'm right there with everyone else on these two, but it's a pretty major gamble to continue to bet on Maccagnan based solely on the potential of 2 players after 4 years.

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Worst drafter in the league.  Categorically, statistically, objectively.  The worst drafter in the league.  Even his best picks required:  1) Luck, and/or 2) Him passing on better players to get a good player.

But he's improving and deserves 1 more bad draft before we fire him.  Just, you know, to make ABSOLUTELY sure he sucks. 

Every thread these mouth breathers push this stuff.  There's no counter to the results.  He's the worst drafter in the league.  Keep repeating that, because that's ultimately all that matters when it comes to a GM.  How you draft.  And he's the worst at it. 

The debate is completely futile at this point.  Those who still support Mike Maccagnan aren't worth listening to at all.  They have nothing to base that viewpoint on.  Literally nothing. 

So stop listening to them.  Instead you keep pushing your agenda with insults. . 

Archived